NameSilo

What did you learn in 2019?

Labeled as discuss in General Domain Discussion started by PriyankaS, Jan 14, 2020.

Replies:
Views:

1. tracey sclater

tracey sclater Established Member

Stop buying after a few to many beers and thinking every purchase is a Gold Plated sure thing. Cheers.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. TSB

TSB Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

I've learned, don't put money on hand reg and worthless names. Hold your money and invest in worthy names and catch the BEST drops. 1 best & hot name is better than 100 hand regs/normal names.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  3. Ostrados

Ostrados Entrepreneur Gold Account VIP

Some of my observations and things I learned in 2019:
    1. Trends change very fast, some niches are here to stay, others are fading out.
    2. gTLDs values were heavily inflated by investors!
    3. .org, .net, .co are viable options for investment
    4. Portfolio diversity is important, it is like investing in stock market, you should not put all your investments in one stock.
    5. BIN is better than make offer for 4 figure domains.
    6. If the domain is not brandable then don't buy it.. simple!
    7. Godaddy appraisal is not actually totally useless, it is helpful to sort lists, and for my surprise it is improving and becoming more accurate at $2k+ domains. While Estibot has became totally useless!
    8. Pricing your domains correctly is the hardest single task in domaining.
    9. Sell through rate is decreasing for individuals due to increase in supply and no/little change in demand.

4. DpakH

DpakH Established Member

Some of my observations are:
    1.Hand registration domains doesn't work for me.
    2.Building trust is top priority
    3. I think outbound is important
    4.I'm going to follow rulesbefore buying domain.
    5.Spend around 1000$ in domain(Domaining course+domains)

Thanks
    DpakH

5. Ostrados

Ostrados Entrepreneur Gold Account VIP

Correction:
    2. New gTLDs values were heavily inflated by investors!

6. equity78

equity78 Top Member TheDomains Staff TLDInvestors.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I learned that if you want to bring traffic to your domain forum, make sure Rob Monster is a member, let someone start a wildly off topic and wild thread and then just sit back and watch the page views roll in.

7. Recons.Com

Recons.Com Top Contributor VIP

That would be a monster daylight robbery ))

8. lock

lock PremiumNameDomain.com VIP

DUI Domaining Under Influence - stop after first domain review when sober. Or fill your portfolio with puke.

9. CalHumaidan

CalHumaidan Upgraded Member Blue Account

Hey Bob, thank you for the great lessons.

Could you please expand a little bit more on the line that I quoted? because I submitted a couple of names to BB and I am so curious about that BB code thing :)

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

Sorry I never thought of that interpretation. I should have. No I did not mean Brand Bucket but rather the bulletin board markup code that I use to format my blob posts here. In creating a message if you use the icon at far right of the editing tools it invokes it.
    Bob

11. Indianad

Indianad Upgraded Member Gold Account

Wonderful response as always!

12. PriyankaS

PriyankaS Established Member

I always plan to but i fail mostly to follow it regularly 😃

Thanks. When I don't get any response from buyer i become hyper and can't focus on anything else. I need to learn how to remain cool in negotiation.
    I tried to research upcoming niches but with lot of patience needed i lose interest.

It was scary When i see Random 4Ls selling for as low as 65. Anyways Thank you for your advice regarding 4L names. Will definitely follow it.👍

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  13. PriyankaS

Thanks for sharing all the points and interesting perspective. About 5th point - if not domain marketplace then what other choice we have? Personal marketplace like efty? Outbound? Marketing?

14. PriyankaS

Thanks. Very relevant point. This is my plan ahead in future domaining. 🙂

Awesome points. Specially 4th of diversity and agree fully on gd appraisal its turning out to be very useful tool for me. While estibot has hit rock bottom. Thanks.👍

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  15. PriyankaS

Thanks. All right points for newbie👍for your last point which course you have found till now? I have always believed NP is better than any domaining course you find.

Haha agree fully that is why i had said this about @Rob Monster at NP 2019 award post.😁

16. winst

winst Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I've learned number of quality inbound leads did not translate into high-value sale.

I've had inbound from a Google manager, startup with $100M funding, startup CEO, PR firm legal counsel, financial consultant, on top of the typical "blogger", "student", everyone seemed to have the magical budget of $5000 for a domain name.

17. eurorealtor

eurorealtor okre.com VIP

You better keep a full time job.

18. Ivan Rasskazov

Ivan Rasskazov Upgraded Member Estibot.com domainIQ Gold Account

You can always ask questions about DIQ Bob - would be happy to help you understand the tools a bit better and turn that somewhat into extensively ;)

19. oldtimer

oldtimer Do some good for humanity and the environment VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I have learned and which I also recommend to others is that whenever you make a long post it's good to make a summary or conclusion at the end of your comment so that the important and valuable points that you are trying to make don't get overlooked by those who avoid reading the posts that are too long.

Example:

Conclusion: make a summary of the important points that you are trying to make at the end of your comment if your post is too long (and make it bold). ;)

IMO

20. Bob Hawkes

Thank you so much Ivan. I just want to make clear to everyone that it is not that the tools are hard to use, but so comprehensive, and other things have kept me from putting the time into really using it anywhere near fully. I hope to do better in 2020 and will keep your offer in mind :xf.smile:.
    Thanks
    Bob

21. Mike Robertson

Mike Robertson Director of Business Development at Fabulous.com Fabulous.com ICA Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Whilst it's not things I specifically learned from the domain industry, here's what I learned over the past decade, 2020 Vision.

22. ThatNameGuy

ThatNameGuy Restricted (15-30%) Gold Account

That's ALL good stuff Mike, especially "Show Up" and "Not Everyone Will Like You":xf.eek: Thanks!

23. Mister Funsky

Mister Funsky Top Contributor VIP

The single biggest thing I learned is to have a bin on ALL names (other than true top tier). This is effective for the impulse buyer and lets the tire kickers know not to offer 500 for a name that is worth 5000.

24. Bob Hawkes

I really like the tone and content of your post, Mike. Thanks for sharing. While it is natural on NamePros to focus on domain specific ideas and issues, in many ways through a focus on positive things in life overall, as you did, things in domains will work out positively.
    Bob

25. Mike Robertson

Mike Robertson Director of Business Development at Fabulous.com Fabulous.com ICA Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I'm glad you enjoyed the read. In principal, all are very simple concepts, but often are difficult to put into practice.

I completely agree Bob. Have a positive and healthy frame of mind (and body) will carry over into all you do.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice