Dynadot

2009 is over for domaining: What did you learn?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
That's once again that time of the year. A new one is about to start. But, before we leave 2009, what do you have to say about all the new thing you learnt?

This has been my first year in domaining, I discovered this great world in April, by chance. During the first 5 months I registered, registered and again registered names, without a single sale. Then I was about to give up. When I had my first sale, a LLLL.com bought for $17 and sold for $12, you can't imagine my joy. Ever since that sale, I had 20-ish sales, all in the low-mid $xx, but for now I can consider myself satisfied.

What about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
2009 has so far been great year for me. I had sold 2 word .net for $xx,xxx and sold 3 .cc domain names as well for low-mid $xx. Although I am in domain world for the past 3-4 years but made sales only in 2009.

•••
•••
When I had my first sale, a LLLL.com bought for $17 and sold for $12, you can't imagine my joy.
Is there a number missing from the sold price?

Most of us have sold domains for a loss, at some point. There are many reasons this can happen.

But I don't think most people are feeling joy over such sales.

I admire your enthusiasm, but I am confused by it. :?

•••
Is there a number missing from the sold price?

Most of us have sold domains for a loss, at some point. There are many reasons this can happen.

But I don't think most people are feeling joy over such sales.

I admire your enthusiasm, but I am confused by it. :?
No number missing. I think almost every domainer has spent his first months in domaining buying garbage names and being unable to sell anything (I heard about people having their first sale more than a year later). The point is after 5 months of buying only, I was so happy I had my first sale (it was an auction here at NP) that I didn't care it was a loss. That made me aware I could sell names, like other domainers. Since then, I slowly started to sell names at a (not very much) higher price than I had bought them.

•••

I'm in total agreement on this one, develop, develop, develop.........its the most solid way to build value that I can see. I'm going thru my domains, culling out the crap, id the ones with no future and focus on the ones that have potential as a real site or mini site. Not even concerned with buying to resell at this point in time or for the forseeable future. I'll buy in a much more disciplined way now than before for sure. I've been in this just a year mind you so I'm still trying to get a handle on why I'm doing this......

•••
I learned that you never stop learning. There have been times when I took the advice of domainers just to find that the opposite is true. I bought domains that I thought were going to make me a millionaire, and I ended up letting them expire. I sold domains that I thought would never sell. If domaining is not a gamble, than it's an art, and if it's not an art it's 100% perspiration. Looking forward to 2010.

•••
I learned that you don't need thousands of dollars to start domaining. You can start being very selective and with a very low budget, and still make good money in this business. Yes, the real premium domains are taken and if they are not taken they will be taken by someone (ex.Snap) and auctioned. So you need big money to buy premium domains, but there are very good domains that you can still get for decent and/or reg fee prices. And it's a very lucrative business compared to many other traditional ones.

•••
The lesson that I have learnt in 2009 is that domaining is not everyone's cup of tea.

•••
My best sales were made in 2009... and the lesson I learned is that a decade of domaining is quite enough.

•••
•••
I discovered how far I've come.

Same time last year with a $xxxx I would of been jumping with joy, now it's the norm.

•••

Follow your instincts, take calculated risks, and don't listen to naysayers.

On the other hand, don't hand reg junk just because it sounds good. Do the research.

And if you don't know the right questions to ask, read this forum.

It's okay to take a break from domaining, but continue to keep up on the news.

•••
Some great experiences and advices from you all. They're different but have one thing in common: all of them are interesting to expert domainers and crucial to newbies. Keep on sharing your precious experiences!

•••
Some good stuff in this thread...

I stepped out of my comfort zone and went to Search Engine Strategies this year. Not even the whole conference just networking at the expo hall floor. My biggest lesson is I have enough names already even though I like buying and selling.

Everyone should be thinking how to make at least one real business from one of their best names. Also to develop all their names even if it's just a landing page saying "for sale".

Here's to a prosperous 2010...

•••
•••
Is parking the name enough?

The main difference is a "real" site gets the clock rolling in the search engines and makes the name more valuable. If you go a step further and put some content on it...you could gain some page rank and traffic. Once again adding value to the name.

•••
That's once again that time of the year. A new one is about to start. But, before we leave 2009, what do you have to say about all the new thing you learnt?

This has been my first year in domaining, I discovered this great world in April, by chance. During the first 5 months I registered, registered and again registered names, without a single sale. Then I was about to give up. When I had my first sale, a LLLL.com bought for $17 and sold for $12, you can't imagine my joy. Ever since that sale, I had 20-ish sales, all in the low-mid $xx, but for now I can consider myself satisfied.

What about you?

The power of PageRank, Links, Development and Content Management Systems - Joomla, WordPress.

This month's Sale of a LLLL.in for 500$US @ Sedo.:)

Cheers
Corey

•••
2009 taught me never to undersell a domain again. Sold a five / six figure name for mid 3 figures. Regretting it ever since.

It also taught me prudent portfolio finance management, something I was a little cavalier towards earlier.

On the other hand, in 2009 we had our baby, for that I'm thankful. So all in all a great year emotionally, not so much financially. :)

•••
I learned a lot in 2009...

- I came to understand a lot more about what constitutes real inherent value in a domain, how to research a name to substantiate value, and, how to recognise the difference between simply a nice domain, and a domain that has potential real value - Also, how to recognise an undervalued domain for sale...

- I learned a lot more about how to see a domain as a potential business (which is different from just thinking about 'developing' a domain)....and, which domains to consider building upon, and, which to not bother with......Also, how to work towards constructing strategies to add value to domains.

- I learned a lot about how creating a perception about a domain can hugely enhance the price you can get for it - ie when in negotiation for the sale of a domain, being able to articulate exactly what this domain could do for the buyer's business (end user), or the potential future income/capital gain prospects (for a reseller).

- I learned about how many, many, end users don't really perceive the future value of securing the right domain for their business....And, I'm learning to pay attention to how to help them see the right domain as a great investment - not simply a cost.

- I learned quite a lot about the domain development process (long way to go, but making progress).....And, about SEO etc

- I learned that I have TWO businesses, not just ONE.....ie that I have a (smallish) group of domains that each domain could truly be a major stand-alone revenue-producing business, if I get the concepts/promotion & development right....And, then, I have my 'domaining' business - which is about trying to find undervalued domains, and trading (to both resellers & end users).

...(in addition to learning about assessing value, this two-track mindset is the most important lesson I learned in 2009, imo...).

- And, I learned that there IS such a thing as rank, unadulterated, LUCK, in this domain business....

....that you can actually win the lottery in the domain business (ie buy a domain, and make 200% - 1000%, and more, for doing not much) - and, that logic & smarts have nothing at all to do with it, when you do get just plain lucky....:D

Last edited:
•••
Rising ICANN Fees for renewals and drop in advertising led to dropping 30% of domains in the portofolio
Domain sales was a bright spot (although price per domain dropped a bit)
Develop more domains

•••
I learned a lot in 09 changed my strategy from hand regging and just parking names and never selling, to hand regging and parking and selling more emphasis on selling hense suffering through sedos low payouts for an eventual sale. When my parking revenue dropped from 10k to 3k I decided to start selling some names I made more selling names this year than my traditional job, I also learned not to send a name to auction anywhere unless it is the minimum I would sell it for. I think many domainers made the same choice of trying to sell name as opposed to parking them because of the low payouts

•••
I just made a post on my blog about this...

Basically, I've learned... The new trend (and rightly so) is domain consolidation. Everyone is going to stop acquiring tons of domains and try to focus on owning a smaller number of quality domains. This I feel is a terrific thing. I realize it's mostly due to the economy, but I think that speculation needs consolidation in order to mature. Regardless, this is going to create certain opportunities for the upcoming year.

1. Domains that get dropped this year should increase slightly in quality. Those domains that aren't good enough to make the cut for some are probably better than most of the domains that someone else owns... So those on the lower end should notice an influx of half decent names, swimming in a sea of complete and utter crap names. Be ready to buy.

2. Domainer-to-domainer sales are going to drop considerably... Why? Because everyone is going to be increasing their standards. So, if you're sitting on names that you can barely sell now (crappy letter LLLL.coms), your best bet is to liquidate ASAP in order to have more cash to invest in buying up the above mentioned drops.

3. Overall, I think the average sale price will increase, because more people will be focused on selling to end users. At least, given the assumption that domainer-to-domainer sales will decline, I hope this becomes everyone's priority.

Last edited:
•••
I had less sales in 2009 than 2008 but for more $$$$$$. I am taking most of my domainer & brandable lower quality domains and liquidating them through auctions and personal sales which will leave me with my normal descriptive product/service keyword rich end user batch that I will continue to sell to end users only. The only difference in 2010 will be I am taking my best domains off the market and will be engaging in more development than in 2009 and some I may even partner with individuals/companies on. As far as learning anything I think it's the same thing I learn every year that the longer you do this the easier it becomes. I have always made more money from domain sales over parking and now I'm starting to get the development to get closer to matching the domain sales figures as I don't think parking will ever be my main source of income as it never has been and I'm continuing to move away from it. I have had 3 buyout offers this year and the first 2 I didn't even consider but honestly the last one I actually considered as I started with domains/sites in 2002 and it does take a toll on your social life so in 2010 although I plan on being more productive development wise I will need to pencil in some mandatory downtime as well which I haven't been taking, so 2010 for me is basically trim the junk, market the end user domains and develop the premiums.

•••
I learned to love the .info extension :).....great ROI.....and to develop my sites by mixing in Affiliate Marketing and products..returns have been huge! The Sky is the limit now :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back