NameSilo

discuss What Are You? A Domainer or a Domain Originator?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
A Speculator? A Creator? A Developer? A Investor? A Artist? A Domainer? or none of the aforementioned? I'm about to register a couple of domain names that clarifies exactly who I am, and I'm proud of it. Having hand registered 1,500 domains in the last 12 months I've finally determined I'm a Domain Originator and not a a domainer (which still isn't a word btw). One would have thought that leaders in this industry would have clarified this by now?

Originator defined: a person who creates or initiates something.

Domainer
defined: No Definition....sad:xf.sick:

I've been creating names for businesses all my life, and it wasn't until recently that I started creating domain names. There's really little difference imho, and I feel I'm getting better at it every day.

So I'm a Domain Originator similar to a Mortgage Originator. I create internet domain names for .coms etc. I also recently originated the name DomainOrigination(.)com to coincide with DomainOriginator(.)com. Google shows that both Wiki and Investopedia have a page description for "Mortgage Originator" but none for Domainer or Domain Originator:xf.frown:

For those of you who create domains like me (keeping in mind every domain was created by someone), now you can proudly say you're a Domain Originator adding credibility to your profession:xf.wink:

If you create domains like me, share your profession with the world. I know I will.

Crappy domains:xf.rolleyes:? I think not, but what do I know....I'm just a newbie who hasn't a clue:xf.grin:

Cheers Everyone!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
MapleDots...I know I can't be all things to all people, but my idea would be to develop Games with Names with a partner who shares my vision. The right partner could own 40 to 50% at first and eventually own the whole thing. I'll be 71 Saturday, and I could make it very interesting. The second option would be to start developing it, and sell it with a business plan to someone who gets it. Thanks(y)

Keep in mind that everyone can register domain names, you assume someone will want to partner with a soso domain. If I was looking for a similar name for a project there are a hundred variables to reg for 10 bucks without taking on a partner.

Focus on business names or names that businesses would want to use for a service, those are the ones where the money is. There is no money in development of a name, there is only money if you truly run a business on a domain. Very rare are the high traffic domains where one can just sit and make money.

@bmugford makes a very good point, you will have to live to be 160 to bring all of your ideas to fruition. Focus on a few good ones and follow through, park the rest if they sell great, if not drop.

If you filter out all the comments people have directed at you and if you say even 5% were of substance then that substance was real advice. People are trying to guide you, not everyone wants you to fail. Personally I think every domaining success story is a plus for our industry and I truly wish you well but take at least some of the comments to heart, there is a lot of really good advice in some of them.

•••
Addict...I can afford to buy my own domains and pay a premium if I wanted to. The 12-15K that I've spent buying domains pales in comparison to the 2,000 plus hours I've spent learning this business. To insinuate that I don't know what I'm doing is an insult to my intelligence and my 50 plus years of practical business experience. I'm famous for saying, "I wasn't born yesterday", and it's a FACT that I was born 71 years ago on Saturday October 20th. Finally, I can assure you and anyone else reading this I understand ROI far better than anyone on this blog. Have a nice evening, and good luck with your spinning..

It wasn't meant to insult you, I had no idea you had the capital you have, If a person has a good amount of capital, they can, of course, reg and buy as they wish, not everyone here is bringing a lot of capital when they start domaining.

I came in with $200 to invest in domains, i ended up overextending by a couple of more thousand dollars, huge mistake, perhaps this will help domainers on a low budget not overextend and wind up in the same shoes i was in.

•••
Looks like Bulloney is out for the count.

•••
•••
i highly doubt now his stories of decades of super duper businesses are any kind of true.

You mean to rumors are true? O_o

fat_man.jpg

Noooooooo I cannot believe that :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

•••
That said his choice of a business name DOMAIN GOURMET is actually quite good. I don't know if he has the .com but if I had to rate the name as a domaining site I would score that one almost a perfect 10.
You cannot argue that... the name is fantastic. :xf.cool:

No, sorry, I think its a stupid name. His domaining skills are terrible, he has yet to make one sale. If he was an investor in liquid domains and had a track record, then DOMAIN GOURMET might be good. But he is still just patting himself on the back for nothing other than his ego. Besides if it was a great name, someone else would have taken in it the past 35 years. He has also had it for 10 days and done nothing with it, like all of his other "incredible" domains.

Last edited:
•••
There is a lot of skill involved in hand Reg. I found that brainstorming although effective, is very - very time consuming and can lead to many costly errors in your final decision making process, all the name spinner sites are effective , but you are spinning one keyword at a time, Impossibility.com offers the best quality I have ever used.

My script was the answer to my hand reg problems, although it cost me a lot of money to have made, it has paid for itself time and time again, I can run 15 different keywords at once, once all my results come in, I can run the names that I like for TM with it, then the rest is is up to me, rather I reg them or not.

Being vigilant in what a person reg is the most important IMO, I research the strength of the niche, I research the longevity of the niche, and also I make a educated decision on what my hold time will be before a possible sale may take place with the names.

I know I am very minority in the industry being a hand regger, so competition is not a big issue, but how many years I might need to hold the domain , will I develop the name and do on.
.X......you'll be happy to learn that i'm going to do my very best to "originate" a new title for what we do. Instead of seeing yourself as a "hand regger" or even a "domainer" When asked what it is you do by family, friends, professionals and peers, tell them you're a Domain Originator. It's pretty simple to explain that you originate domain names for internet use.

I've become so addicted, I'm originating domains in my subconscious and my sleep 24/7. I've been without electricity for a few days due to 72 mph winds from hurricane Michael, but as soon as my electricity came back on, I originated and registered the domains; DomainOriginator(.)com and DomainOrigination(.)com. The reason I did this is because the terms "hand regger" and "domainer" are so foolish imho, someone just had to do it.

Thanks for being a friend .X., and you can join the Domain Origination Club anytime. Good Luck!

•••
•••
.X......you'll be happy to learn that i'm going to do my very best to "originate" a new title for what we do. Instead of seeing yourself as a "hand regger" or even a "domainer" When asked what it is you do by family, friends, professionals and peers, tell them you're a Domain Originator. It's pretty simple to explain that you originate domain names for internet use.

I've become so addicted, I'm originating domains in my subconscious and my sleep 24/7. I've been without electricity for a few days due to 72 mph winds from hurricane Michael, but as soon as my electricity came back on, I originated and registered the domains; DomainOriginator(.)com and DomainOrigination(.)com. The reason I did this is because the terms "hand regger" and "domainer" are so foolish imho, someone just had to do it.

Thanks for being a friend .X., and you can join the Domain Origination Club anytime. Good Luck!
Are you worried about false advertising, Rich? It's entirely possible that several of your domains didn't "originate" with you.

•••
•••
Bob...i like Domain Name Artist too....it conjures curiosity and that does it for me. I see where someone has already originated and registered it...is that you? Most anything beats "hand regger" or "domainer" imho.

As for hurricane Michael...it caught most of us here in VB by surprise. While the storm made landfall about a thousand miles south of where I am, it exited back to the Ocean right near where I live packing winds of 70+ mph. We're fine though but my wife and I spent the better part of a day cleaning up. I do have a gas run generator that kept my refrigerator freezer, radio and a few lights on for the 48 hours we were without electricity.

On a side note, not only did I come up with the idea for Domain Originator during the storm, I also jotted down on a legal pad about a hundred new "Incredible" names to add to my incredible domain portfolio. I'll share two names with you,and the reasoning behind them;

IncredibleBees(.)com
IncredibleHoney(.)com

First, I'd like to mention that I've done a lot of research on the word "incredible", and it turns out it's used all over the world to describe everything from "kids" to "love" to "art". I don't own any of these domains, but I do own about 25 similar "incredible" names.

Back to "Bees" and "Honey". My pastors wife raises honey bees, and during the storm some of their beehives were damaged. There have been a few documentaries done on the importance of "Bees" and it's a well known fact that bees are so critical to our ecosystem the world wouldn't survive without them. Thus, IncredibleBees. And to compliment IncredibleBees, IncredibleHoney just goes with the territory.

Finally, to originate names like this and sit on them for years and hope and pray someone might want them is an exercise in futility imho. I haven't registered either of these names yet, but when I do, I have a plan for how to market them.

Thanks Bob.....come Wednesday October 17th, Canada will see some IncredibleHigh(s).com. How do you think this will impact tourism from around the world? Doobie Diners and Taco Juana(s) should be packed:xf.grin:

Can you share your current ROI so far ?

•••
While it's no big deal, it does appraise for more at GD than most of the typical domain names. Trust me, there are a lot of them

I don't think the GD appraisal means anything. I think you should stop thinking about automated appraisals all together. Don't give them an ounce of thought...

•••
inb4, "i registered incredible originator dot com" thread

•••
Last edited:
•••
Oh trust me....ALL my domains serve a purpose like IncredibleFlorida(.)com
I ran a check using the 50 US states. You can still register 41 of them with your "incredible" prefix. How many did you hand reg ? Nine ?

Interesting that after more than 30 years, any "domain originator" could have bought them, yet these domains are still available, its almost like nobody seems to care.

That's just.... incredible.....:xf.rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
A Speculator? A Creator? A Developer? A Investor? A Artist? A Domainer? or none of the aforementioned? I'm about to register a couple of domain names that clarifies exactly who I am, and I'm proud of it. Having hand registered 1,500 domains in the last 12 months I've finally determined I'm a Domain Originator and not a a domainer (which still isn't a word btw). One would have thought that leaders in this industry would have clarified this by now?

Originator defined: a person who creates or initiates something.

HeHe

I have a new one for you....

download.jpg

I am a PROFITEER

Definition: one who makes an unreasonable profit :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
CannaTuna
CannaFigs
CannaCasserole

DopeyStuff, DopeyDomains

CannaSpam. How about Can of Spam?

•••
Yes you beat me to the punch. I was going to say that IF there was any activity at all around these four names it wasn’t an arm’s length actual sale - more like some kind of investment or joint venture arrangement. Perhaps Bulloney gave them the domains in exchange for a stake in whatever they planned to do - for a stake that they decided (or maybe Bulloney alone decided :xf.wink:) is valued at 2500 each. And by the looks of it nothing has come of the arrangements so far as far as development.

Unless these four buyers are Eskimos and Bulloney is able to sell ice there’s just no way those domains sold for anywhere near that.

I mean Hey - if Bulloney is able to convince others of the value of these domains more power to him - but these were not arm’s length actual transactions.

So at the end of the day we come back to - that Bulloney hasn’t sold a single domain.

Last edited:
•••
I want that “PRO” under my name @bmugford and @hawkeye 👀, although the odds are, well maybe 0.001% of me ever getting it, I can admire both of yours 👍

@xynames too, 👍

Ok, I will stop dreaming and get back on topic, I think I am a domain procrastinater , that may be why I can’t see the light to getting me a “PRO” under my user name, an old feller needs to reinvent himself so he can work towards getting that PRO, I want it!👀lol

Last edited:
•••
This must mean you sir are a DOMAIN ORIGINATOR™ Great job!

What about domain birther, domain creator? The name you have, is more domain adopter. Somebody dropped it on some doorstep, you snapped it up. Domain birther is available.

•••
Do you have a show, or you mean just the domain name? re Domain Show Host:xf.grin: and GameswithNames™? Or we mean a board/electronic game?
I'm a little confused, which is not uncommon with me :wideyed:. Take care and have a good week. Bob

Bob...I figured if I just originated GameswithNames(.)com:xf.wink: it might just need a host? And being that I'm officially a Domain Originator, who better to host "Games with Names" than MOI!

•••
My last comment on this thread is about the self...........or your's :xf.wink:

Self Promotion - the action of promoting or publicising oneself or one's activities, especially in a forceful way.

Self Delusion - the action of deluding oneself; failure to recognise reality.

Self Denial - the denial of one's own interests and needs

Self Fulfilling - bound to be proved correct or to come true as a result of behaviour caused by its being expressed.

Self Sacrifice - the giving up of one's own interests or wishes in order to help others or advance a cause

I'm originating self ego for myself.......

I think I fit in the “Self Delusion”

It is better in that world, Then I don’t have to run with a herd of turtles

Last edited:
•••
Direct match keywords are things you might type into google, for instance, "Ladies Watch" - Dog Flea Collar"

Games With Names is clever indeed, Many domain names such as this, have been sold for nice money, Mike Mann sold FiveStarApartments.com sold for $16,000.

Yes but that was for commercial use. Games with names sounds really good but what VIABLE commercial use can one put to it. Now before everyone tries remember that you can only register so many names so ask yourself if there are more viable names to make money on.

•••
It took me 3 years after the 2.7K loss, to make a dime in the industry, The recovery period was not only painful, but very lonnnnnng. like i said above, it was very close to taking me out of domaining for good. that would have sucked really bad. It was a very - very close call for me.

•••
Ohhhhhhhhhhh I finally get it.... this is in the humor forum right?

HeHe.... you had me going for a while :xf.smile:

Originator..... good one (y)

PS. Hopefully you can read between the lines. (I left some space)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back