IT.COM

discuss What Are You? A Domainer or a Domain Originator?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
A Speculator? A Creator? A Developer? A Investor? A Artist? A Domainer? or none of the aforementioned? I'm about to register a couple of domain names that clarifies exactly who I am, and I'm proud of it. Having hand registered 1,500 domains in the last 12 months I've finally determined I'm a Domain Originator and not a a domainer (which still isn't a word btw). One would have thought that leaders in this industry would have clarified this by now?

Originator defined: a person who creates or initiates something.

Domainer
defined: No Definition....sad:xf.sick:

I've been creating names for businesses all my life, and it wasn't until recently that I started creating domain names. There's really little difference imho, and I feel I'm getting better at it every day.

So I'm a Domain Originator similar to a Mortgage Originator. I create internet domain names for .coms etc. I also recently originated the name DomainOrigination(.)com to coincide with DomainOriginator(.)com. Google shows that both Wiki and Investopedia have a page description for "Mortgage Originator" but none for Domainer or Domain Originator:xf.frown:

For those of you who create domains like me (keeping in mind every domain was created by someone), now you can proudly say you're a Domain Originator adding credibility to your profession:xf.wink:

If you create domains like me, share your profession with the world. I know I will.

Crappy domains:xf.rolleyes:? I think not, but what do I know....I'm just a newbie who hasn't a clue:xf.grin:

Cheers Everyone!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't really care about labels. I make a living buying and selling domains.
Call it what you want.

Brad

•••
There is a lot of skill involved in hand Reg. I found that brainstorming although effective, is very - very time consuming and can lead to many costly errors in your final decision making process, all the name spinner sites are effective , but you are spinning one keyword at a time, Impossibility.com offers the best quality I have ever used.

My script was the answer to my hand reg problems, although it cost me a lot of money to have made, it has paid for itself time and time again, I can run 15 different keywords at once, once all my results come in, I can run the names that I like for TM with it, then the rest is is up to me, rather I reg them or not.

Being vigilant in what a person reg is the most important IMO, I research the strength of the niche, I research the longevity of the niche, and also I make a educated decision on what my hold time will be before a possible sale may take place with the names.

I know I am very minority in the industry being a hand regger, so competition is not a big issue, but how many years I might need to hold the domain , will I develop the name and do on.
.X......you'll be happy to learn that i'm going to do my very best to "originate" a new title for what we do. Instead of seeing yourself as a "hand regger" or even a "domainer" When asked what it is you do by family, friends, professionals and peers, tell them you're a Domain Originator. It's pretty simple to explain that you originate domain names for internet use.

I've become so addicted, I'm originating domains in my subconscious and my sleep 24/7. I've been without electricity for a few days due to 72 mph winds from hurricane Michael, but as soon as my electricity came back on, I originated and registered the domains; DomainOriginator(.)com and DomainOrigination(.)com. The reason I did this is because the terms "hand regger" and "domainer" are so foolish imho, someone just had to do it.

Thanks for being a friend .X., and you can join the Domain Origination Club anytime. Good Luck!

•••
a Domain Originator adding credibility to your profession:xf.wink:
I think a "Domain Originator" creates names, sells them and can prove they made the sale, then that adds credibility to you and your profession. On the other hand a person who constantly pats themselves on the back for registering domains they THINK are good but do not sell (or cannot prove they have sold), lacks any credibility.

So someone who is always registering names that don't sell and who is desperately trying to show his peers what a genius he is, is really a fraud.

Discuss.....

•••
•••
•••
.X......you'll be happy to learn that i'm going to do my very best to "originate" a new title for what we do. Instead of seeing yourself as a "hand regger" or even a "domainer" When asked what it is you do by family, friends, professionals and peers, tell them you're a Domain Originator. It's pretty simple to explain that you originate domain names for internet use.

I've become so addicted, I'm originating domains in my subconscious and my sleep 24/7. I've been without electricity for a few days due to 72 mph winds from hurricane Michael, but as soon as my electricity came back on, I originated and registered the domains; DomainOriginator(.)com and DomainOrigination(.)com. The reason I did this is because the terms "hand regger" and "domainer" are so foolish imho, someone just had to do it.

Thanks for being a friend .X., and you can join the Domain Origination Club anytime. Good Luck!
Are you worried about false advertising, Rich? It's entirely possible that several of your domains didn't "originate" with you.

•••
•••
Domainer = good brandable

Exact Searches
Keyword [domainer]
Monthly Searches 1,000
Cost per Click $6.64
Ad Competition -
Data Age Recent

Domain Originator = no so good

Exact Searches
Keyword [domain originator]
Monthly Searches 0
Cost per Click -
Ad Competition -
Data Age Recent

•••
I think a "Domain Originator" creates names, sells them and can prove they made the sale, then that adds credibility to you and your profession. On the other hand a person who constantly pats themselves on the back for registering domains they THINK are good but do not sell (or cannot prove they have sold), lacks any credibility.

So someone who is always registering names that don't sell and who is desperately trying to show his peers what a genius he is, is really a fraud.

Discuss.....
It really doesn't matter what you think, but what my customers and end users think. Thanks for the publicity. I appreciate any and all I get...if you only had a clue:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Are you worried about false advertising, Rich? It's entirely possible that several of your domains didn't "originate" with you.
Absolutely not Joe...I wasn't born yesterday, and if there is anyone out there that has balls enough to sue me over the names I register for false advertising I'd luv to take 'em on. I'm not just a domain originator, I'm a born originator:xf.wink: Have a great evening!

•••
It really doesn't matter what you think, but what my customers and end users think. Thanks for the publicity. I appreciate any and all I get...if you only had a clue:xf.rolleyes:
I'm not talking about you. I am just explaining my definition of "Domain Originator".

•••
Domainer = good brandable

Exact Searches
Keyword [domainer]
Monthly Searches 1,000
Cost per Click $6.64
Ad Competition -
Data Age Recent

Domain Originator = no so good

Exact Searches
Keyword [domain originator]
Monthly Searches 0
Cost per Click -
Ad Competition -
Data Age Recent

Thanks for the analysis, but "Domain Originator" isn't a word just like "domainer" really isn't a word. The only ones searching "domainer" are typically domainers themselves. I didn't register DomainOriginator for resale, but rather a name that non domainers might relate to, and better explains to family, friends, peers and "end users" what I do for a living.

While it's no big deal, it does appraise for more at GD than most of the typical domain names. Trust me, there are a lot of them. 99% of the public doesn't know what a "domainer" is regardless of search results. As a business guy I luv a name that explains what it is that I do...ex. "Credit Control Corporation", "Inquisitor Investigations", "Make Something Happen". These are real names of real companies that I started, named, bought, sold or merged.

Finally, no one is looking for me and my domains, but that's not to say that this "Domain Originator" wont be proactively marketing domains to end users.

•••
Domain investor is a better term and is a lot more explanatory than "Domain Originator".

Brad

•••
That way you can create your own dictionary too and call yourself word-originator..!! A person who creates word.

IMO Any kind of creation would be justified only when it benefits a person..!!

There is no pride in creating something new unless it fulfills a purpose..!!

So, ask yourself, what purpose are those 1500 domains serving currently?!?

Doesn't matter whether you are a domainer or domain investor or domain originator..Are you a domain seller?? Do your domain sells?? Because in the long term, we all are here for this specific purpose..!!

Last edited:
•••

As long as you are happy, having fun, and enjoying what you are doing, that is all that matters, I hope all is well for you, I know the Hurricane has left it's rath on so many people.

You do have some nice names, One my of favs is DoobieDiner.com

Last edited:
•••
•••
As someone told me in Chat another day.

"I am a noob with nothing to offer"

•••
matter whether you are a domainer or domain investor or domain originator..Are you a domain seller?? Do your domain sells?? Because in the long term, we all are here for this specific purpose..!!
To be fair, Namepros tagline is "buy, sell, and discuss domain names" and some people do come here for advice and discussion that isn't just about selling. Some domains are for collectors.

I've been creating names for businesses all my life, and it wasn't until recently that I started creating domain names. There's really little difference imho, and I feel I'm getting better at it every day.

There can be a lot of pleasure and excitement in inventing names and usually if you want a name for a project and you want to try out word combos you can find one for regfee that works, but it can be a bit long or a bit weird, which may actually make it memorable. In fact companies and branding agencies can do that too. The supply of unregistered domains is virtually infinite.

So aside from the pure pleasure of creating, are you using these domains? Are others using them? Are people buying them?

•••
I love handregs, but I agree with others in this thread and it takes some creativity. There's great ones out there. They don't sell for as much as aged domains obviously (in most cases), but if you can buy for $6-10 and flip for $200 then hey, that's good to me.

Some examples I've registered and sold this year:

BanishBalding (dot) com
VeganEats (dot) co uk

They're out there!
Thanks Criterion...I see you're pretty new at this, and it appears you're off to a good start. Keep up the good work.

•••
Courtesy of Domain Sherpa....sums it up quite nicely.

"A domainer is an individual or company that actively engages in the buying, selling, marketing, monetization and publishing of internet domain names and other related web and or internet-based properties."

https://www.domainsherpa.com/domain-name-dictionary/domainer

Definition: "a statement of the exact meaning of a word, especially in a dictionary."

The above does not say exclusively in a dictionary for a reason.....

So we can clearly see that Domainer has a definition, me I'm just a hobbyist :xf.wink:

•••
I think a new name is definitely in order, @Bulloney, although not sure I am that keen personally on originator. I like domain name artist. It stresses the creative side, an artist may create almost exclusively but also may reuse elements from previous creations (since @Joe Nichols raises a valid point) and certainly may be influenced by the style of other artists.

I am glad the storm did not (I trust) do too much damage for you personally @Bulloney, and hope that things are back to normal.

Bob (aka Domain Name Artist :xf.smile:)
Bob...i like Domain Name Artist too....it conjures curiosity and that does it for me. I see where someone has already originated and registered it...is that you? Most anything beats "hand regger" or "domainer" imho.

As for hurricane Michael...it caught most of us here in VB by surprise. While the storm made landfall about a thousand miles south of where I am, it exited back to the Ocean right near where I live packing winds of 70+ mph. We're fine though but my wife and I spent the better part of a day cleaning up. I do have a gas run generator that kept my refrigerator freezer, radio and a few lights on for the 48 hours we were without electricity.

On a side note, not only did I come up with the idea for Domain Originator during the storm, I also jotted down on a legal pad about a hundred new "Incredible" names to add to my incredible domain portfolio. I'll share two names with you,and the reasoning behind them;

IncredibleBees(.)com
IncredibleHoney(.)com

First, I'd like to mention that I've done a lot of research on the word "incredible", and it turns out it's used all over the world to describe everything from "kids" to "love" to "art". I don't own any of these domains, but I do own about 25 similar "incredible" names.

Back to "Bees" and "Honey". My pastors wife raises honey bees, and during the storm some of their beehives were damaged. There have been a few documentaries done on the importance of "Bees" and it's a well known fact that bees are so critical to our ecosystem the world wouldn't survive without them. Thus, IncredibleBees. And to compliment IncredibleBees, IncredibleHoney just goes with the territory.

Finally, to originate names like this and sit on them for years and hope and pray someone might want them is an exercise in futility imho. I haven't registered either of these names yet, but when I do, I have a plan for how to market them.

Thanks Bob.....come Wednesday October 17th, Canada will see some IncredibleHigh(s).com. How do you think this will impact tourism from around the world? Doobie Diners and Taco Juana(s) should be packed:xf.grin:

•••
Bob...i like Domain Name Artist too....it conjures curiosity and that does it for me. I see where someone has already originated and registered it...is that you? Most anything beats "hand regger" or "domainer" imho.

As for hurricane Michael...it caught most of us here in VB by surprise. While the storm made landfall about a thousand miles south of where I am, it exited back to the Ocean right near where I live packing winds of 70+ mph. We're fine though but my wife and I spent the better part of a day cleaning up. I do have a gas run generator that kept my refrigerator freezer, radio and a few lights on for the 48 hours we were without electricity.

On a side note, not only did I come up with the idea for Domain Originator during the storm, I also jotted down on a legal pad about a hundred new "Incredible" names to add to my incredible domain portfolio. I'll share two names with you,and the reasoning behind them;

IncredibleBees(.)com
IncredibleHoney(.)com

First, I'd like to mention that I've done a lot of research on the word "incredible", and it turns out it's used all over the world to describe everything from "kids" to "love" to "art". I don't own any of these domains, but I do own about 25 similar "incredible" names.

Back to "Bees" and "Honey". My pastors wife raises honey bees, and during the storm some of their beehives were damaged. There have been a few documentaries done on the importance of "Bees" and it's a well known fact that bees are so critical to our ecosystem the world wouldn't survive without them. Thus, IncredibleBees. And to compliment IncredibleBees, IncredibleHoney just goes with the territory.

Finally, to originate names like this and sit on them for years and hope and pray someone might want them is an exercise in futility imho. I haven't registered either of these names yet, but when I do, I have a plan for how to market them.

Thanks Bob.....come Wednesday October 17th, Canada will see some IncredibleHigh(s).com. How do you think this will impact tourism from around the world? Doobie Diners and Taco Juana(s) should be packed:xf.grin:

Can you share your current ROI so far ?

•••
While it's no big deal, it does appraise for more at GD than most of the typical domain names. Trust me, there are a lot of them

I don't think the GD appraisal means anything. I think you should stop thinking about automated appraisals all together. Don't give them an ounce of thought...

•••
I don't think the GD appraisal means anything. I think you should stop thinking about automated appraisals all together. Don't give them an ounce of thought...

No JayT....Go Daddy's appraisals act as a selling tool for me. While they may not impress you, I know for a fact they impress "non domainers" and potential investors. I'm not trying to sell my domains to other domainers, but rather to business persons like myself. Here are five reasons why GD appraisals are good for sales;

1. Go Daddy is the most recognizable name in the industry
2. Go Daddy provides "comparable" sales for their appraisals
3. Go Daddy provides other reasons for their appraisals like; "High Value Word", "Easy to Remember" etc.
4. Go Daddy makes it easy to access it's appraisal system
5. While just a third of my domains are registered at Go Daddy, I've made the decision to originate future names for resale at Go Daddy because it adds to my credibility.

Finally, I use to own a medical billing business and the software my partner developed/created ran on IBM hardware to include a IBM System36 and IBM PC's when they first came out. Even though we weren't a reseller for IBM hardware at the time, it added a whole lot to our credibility when we were selling our service to end users. Go Daddy and Go Daddy's appraisals service the same purpose as the name IBM did when marketing.

Does this make any sense to you JayT? I know I'm not the only one that gets it, but some people just can't see the forest for the trees:xf.frown:

Last edited:
•••
Back