Dynadot

information Were the new gTLDs a success?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
I just stumbled upon this article (published a few months ago by Netcraft) which is interesting reading.

https://news.netcraft.com/archives/2017/04/13/new-gtlds-are-they-a-success.html

More of the new gTLDs than I had recalled had early success, each then passing popularity on to another. It provides some interesting data re where .xyz websites are geographically hosted.

It looks at success several ways: how many domain names were registered, and how many domain names are actually used in active websites, for example.

Overall it argues most, but by no means all, have been a financial success, but that financial returns, at least to those doing original registrations, is expected to contract over the next few years.

As a company providing malware protection software, they point out the varying success of different registrars in handling phishing and other activities, although does not provide statistics for the different nTLDs.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.xyz is oversaturated and a joke. If you didn't get in super early with the short one word keywords on that one, you're left holding the bag.

•••
•••
.xyz is oversaturated and a joke. If you didn't get in super early with the short one word keywords on that one, you're left holding the bag.

Not necessarily. I started buying .xyz domains from people at the end of 2016 since a lot of people were selling them for cheap prices then. I was able to purchase some nice first names like A/s/h/l/e/y .xyz for about $10 each.

P.S. This was here on Namepros.

Last edited:
•••
Sounds like you overpaid. At least the seller got some return on his 1 cent investment.

•••
Sounds like you overpaid. At least the seller got some return on his 1 cent investment.

Not necessarily. The one I like the most is A/s/h/l/e/y.xyz

I have a small collection of first names now. I don't think the domains I bought were purchased in the .01 cent promo.

Last edited:
•••
Well trouble is that your end users expect to pay 10$ for Ashley.com. First names are notoriously hard to sell for big bucks.

I think the .xyz version has no liquid value. But who knows maybe in future. When xyz is a commonly used term.....

•••
Well trouble is that your end users expect to pay 10$ for Ashley.com. First names are notoriously hard to sell for big bucks.

I think the .xyz version has no liquid value. But who knows maybe in future. When xyz is a commonly used term.....

Thanks for your feedback. I didn't hear anything about First Names being "notoriously hard to sell for big bucks" but I have noticed that first names aren't appreciated by the market in the way that I appreciate them.

I am actually thinking about developing the First Names I purchased. Something along the lines of Zazzle but for first names. I have wanted to create a custom print business for a long time but haven't done it yet.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back