NameSilo

WARNING: How to Avoid Domain Scams and Scammers

Located in Warnings and Alerts started by -REECE-, Jan 30, 2008.

Replies:
Views:

1. deboer123

deboer123 Account Auto-Closed

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. bricio

bricio Member VIP

i think we can still use paypal if we are buying from or selling to a trustable member and i do this but i am careful because an account can be hacked by a scammer

the problem is when people see a too-good-to-be-true sale or offer and get blinded; then they are scammed
    in these sales thebest thing to do is use an escrow service; as you told moneybookers' can be used as sedo's, moniker's even being more expensive but you will be safe

i have to agree with you about the relation between scammers and LLLL.com prices

3. fleadom

fleadom Established Member

Is verified paypal account safe. I mean, if someone has a verified paypal account can he also make use of the charge-back?

4. -REECE-

-REECE- Member VIP

Paypal is never safe.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  5. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Paypal accounts, whether verified or not, can be stolen( or hacked into) and when real owner finds out about transaction, a chargeback would definitely occur.

6. italiandragon

italiandragon Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

answering to your question: of course a verified PayPal can do a chargeback

(plus trust me, being "verified" does not guarantee much)

7. -REECE-

-REECE- Member VIP

That happened to me in 2006 (unrelated to domaining) and marked the last time I used Paypal until very recently when I realized it was costing me a fair bit more in lost sales than the chargebacks would have.

As sorry as I feel for a person who's account is actually hacked, I really don't see how I should be the one out $300+ -- what did I do wrong to deserve that? Why isn't this covered under seller protection?

Frankly, I'd love to see someone sue these POS and I really wish everyone would just use Moneybookers.

8. italiandragon

italiandragon Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

if only the sheeps that follow the 3 chars letter quality fable would follow your invite, we would have solved the issues....

oh wait.....but then they would have to pay 1% of the transaction for the MB Escrow......noooooooo......better a free fees PayPal ticket for a chargeback!! :music:

9. fleadom

fleadom Established Member

Reece, Italiandragon, UrbanCowboy, thank you very much for your instant responses. Paypal will be past for me really soon.

10. philski

philski Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

as a BIG powerseller.

I have sent hundreds of NEW customers to paypal "because i trust them" and NEVER had a problem with them.

untill something more secure comes up. with out spam. etc
    Go paypal.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  11. Takwa

Takwa Established Member

I guess ppl with no trader ratings show not be able to use Paypal

12. -REECE-

-REECE- Member VIP

Yes, that's where 90%+ of the problems occur (no offence to the hundreds of honest members with zero trader ratings).

It's very rare that you'll run into trouble with a member with 5+ iTrader, much like it is dealing with eBay powersellers. It happens, but if you're careful about who you deal with, it happens much less often. Moneybookers is a must imho for people with zero feedback.

13. Asmro

Asmro Established Member

Yea, over on DP, I got scammed on two of my LLLL.com's, FKKJ.com and PJJG.com. Here is the link to it:

http://forums.DigitalPoint/showthread.php?t=799489&highlight=fkkj.com

That guy has been scamming on DP for a long time with lots of usernames is what we found. Unfortunately, we couldn't get him in time before he sold them. Anyways, that information was just a little heads up, just don't want him on NamePros....

14. mreborn

mreborn Established Member

I got an email from [email protected]
    trying to sell me bbuu.com for $199
    When I goggle for webnamesolution.com, it got back lots of bad news. Can some one confirm is this is a scam or real? The price is too good to be true.
    thx

15. Asmro

Asmro Established Member

Lol, it's obviously too good to be true. Don't fall for it. Maybe you could set the guy up though...Ask for a phone number to talk to him, then call the police about it if you have found bad news about the guy...Thats what I would do, and have tried...Except, my setup didn't go as planned :)

16. mreborn

mreborn Established Member

Thanks. Will do.

17. Asmro

Asmro Established Member

Oh, after researching, just figured out their scam :) Basically, they email you and make it appear as though they own the domain...But it's basically just a backordering service where when you pay, they try to get the domain...So they don't own it...Scammers!

18. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

They taste domains and try to sell to holders of alternate extensions. The name could be available now...

19. Asmro

Asmro Established Member

BBUU.com is obviously not going to become available any time soon :)

20. Sterling

Sterling Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

21. Asmro

Asmro Established Member

Thanks Sterling :) Appreciate it, I might bid myself :)

22. Sterling

Sterling Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Yes sir. B-)

Anytime!

Good luck

23. Can someone help me? I think I have a scammer on the fishing line. He wants to buy every single 4 letter .com I have and seems to only want to pay with paypal. He has 0 feedback in Ebay and 0 the other site he has listed. He seems to have been buying domains up. He gave me a site www.thedomainboss.com and I tried to check the whois put its unlisted. Anyone want to clue me in on what to do next. I don't really care about selling the domains I just want to catch this guy if he is a fraud.

Here is what I have gathered from him
    He claims to work for enom and states that he cannot scam me due to the fact that I will be transferring the domains to another registrar*******I'm not sure if this is true
    He only wants to use paypal
    His ebay username is sbsb20sbsb20
    His site he claims is www*thedomainboss*com
    His name is Serge Basi*l
    On v7n.com his username is serge20
    and here is his latest deal

http://www.v7n.com/forums/domains/87292-about-30-llll-com-sell.html

I just need to know if I can trust this guy or if hes a scammer. If he is I want to catch him

24. Sameh

Sameh GenericDomainMarket.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

First of all. Don't sell him anything (at least for now) .. Everything you said sound fishy about this guy.

Also, thedomainboss.com created 11 Apr 2008

I'm digging right now for more info.

25. I'm trying to get him to push me 35 bucks for one domain so I can see where his paypal is coming from

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!