Dynadot

WARNING: How to Avoid Domain Scams and Scammers

NameSilo
Watch
Prevention:

Google the domain (also try adding words like stolen, scammed, help, missing, etc), asking other domainers about the domain in question, checking the various marketplaces and making sure things add up... The biggest single indicator of a potential scam is the price. A scammer will want to price the domain low enough that it sells before he gets caught. Keep a watchful eye on new members. Recently modified whois is another warning sign. If other indicators are present (ex. extremely low price), proceed with extreme caution.

Some known scams:

1. Appraisal Scam -- If they ask for an appraisal, it's probably a scam.

2. Snail mail scam letters -- Letters through the mail reminding you to renew your domains from companies which aren't your current registrar

3. Compromised web-based email accounts and keyloggers -- Using an email provided to you by your Internet Service Provider is generally safer than web-based email solutions. There have been known security flaws in certain webmail applications in the past (ex. Gmail) which made compromising member accounts considerably easier than guessing a password. Understand the risks involved with using a web-based solution. Download spyware software such as Adaware Lavasoft and scan your computer daily. Keyloggers are A) easy to put on someone's computer and B) potentially catastrophic to a web based business.

4. Unauthorizing funds (particularly bad with Paypal). Paypal makes it very easy to create chargebacks. Don't accept large amounts by Paypal unless you're dealing with people you absolutely trust. Moneybookers/Escow.com are a step above Paypal, however the best option would be to go with a true escrow service such as Sedo Escrow, Moniker Domain Escrow Service or EscrowDNS.

5. Emails saying your domain requires renew/transfer/you to take a certain action. Check the email and make sure that A) it's from your registrar and B) the url mentioned matches what your registrar's would be. Safer to just visit the registrar than click the links in the email.

6. Incorrect Whois emails -- if your whois isn't incorrect, beware. Phone your registrar if you think they made a mistake.

7. Traffic/Click Fraud -- Self explanatory. If it isn't direct navigation it shouldn't be sold as such. Due diligence is required here.

8. Hijacking -- If you use one of your own domain names as the nameserver, be sure to make sure it doesn't expire or someone could fraudulently gain control of your domains.

9. Escrow.com is NOT 100% safe. They do not cover stolen domains -- buyer beware. Don't think processing a "bargain" through Escrow.com won't potentially end in you being out money. In the event a domain is stolen from someone's account, the domain WILL be returned to the original owner and you'll be out whatever you paid for the domain.

10. One thing I should add: Most free webmail providers will delete accounts after certain periods of inactivity. A clever scammer could notice that your Hotmail/Yahoo/other webmail account had expired, register that same email address (which is now available) and then proceed to "Request Password" at various registrars using what was previously your email address. If you plan on using your webmail infrequently, it's recommend you verify what amount of inactivity is tolerable and won't result in email account deletion.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
This ebay auction sure looks like a scam in the making. I wouldn't pay half what this buyer with no trading history is bidding.

Anybody know the seller? I hope he knows what he's doing.

•••
krx said:
This ebay auction sure looks like a scam in the making. I wouldn't pay half what this buyer with no trading history is bidding.

Anybody know the seller? I hope he knows what he's doing.

I would be very unsure about dealing with someone that has only 1 feedback. However new people do come into the market every day. As long as the seller demands to only use an escrow service, and not paypal he should be ok. I really hope he does so, with that much money involved.

•••
GreenGambler said:
However new people do come into the market every day.
True - and I hate to jump to conclusions. But unless I'm missing something, he's paying more than twice what you'd expect to see these names go for. That to me is an even bigger red flag than his lack of trader rating.

Escrow is definitely the way to go here.

•••
krx said:
True - and I hate to jump to conclusions. But unless I'm missing something, he's paying more than twice what you'd expect to see these names go for. That to me is an even bigger red flag than his lack of trader rating.

Escrow is definitely the way to go here.

And you got to think of the other people bidding the price up too... a bunch of scammers bidding on the same lot, or one big pocket donkey going up against a scammer...

•••
what is this thing you zurc.netters call "pocket donkey" ?? :lol:

•••
male / female names

After more and more evidences .. This guy is definitely (should be a girl in this case) :

Name: Marian, Dorobantu
Address: bd tomis nr 68
City/State: Constanta, Constanta
Zip code: 8700
Tel: 721328329[/QUOTE]

who told you it's a girl?
because of "marian"?

in most languages marian, florian, julian, christian are male names
ever heard about julian lennon?

and the female version would be
juliana, juliane, christine, kristina, kristine
mariana, marianna, marianne
(i know that in english there may be mary ann but originally there was a vowel at the end: ann was anna or anne)

in most cases, the female male forms end with -e or -a
male forms with a consonant, or -o in spanish/port./ital.

(of course, exceptions exist)

•••
dombastic said:
After more and more evidences .. This guy is definitely (should be a girl in this case) :

Name: Marian, Dorobantu
Address: bd tomis nr 68
City/State: Constanta, Constanta
Zip code: 8700
Tel: 721328329

who told you it's a girl?
because of "marian"?

in most languages marian, florian, julian, christian are male names
ever heard about julian lennon?

and the female version would be
juliana, juliane, christine, kristina, kristine
mariana, marianna, marianne
(i know that in english there may be mary ann but originally there was a vowel at the end: ann was anna or anne)

in most cases, the female male forms end with -e or -a
male forms with a consonant, or -o in spanish/port./ital.

(of course, exceptions exist)[/QUOTE]

I told this before Marian is 100% a male name, Mariana would be a female name.

•••
Who do we contact here to report a possible scam in process?

Does this look fishy or what?

xxxxx said:
Hello,

YGZV.COM
OSJQ.com
POQX.com
NQVS.com

I will buy these for $276 if they are still available.
If so, please let me know your paypal e-mail (where I should send money). Also can you tell me which EuroDns information I should provide.

Thank you.

0 trader history. 1 post.

•••
krx said:
Who do we contact here to report a possible scam in process?

Does this look fishy or what?

0 trader history. 1 post.
Looks like it, I wouldn't accept paypal from him.

•••
krx said:
xxxxx said:
Hello,

YGZV.COM
OSJQ.com
POQX.com
NQVS.com

I will buy these for $276 if they are still available.
If so, please let me know your paypal e-mail (where I should send money). Also can you tell me which EuroDns information I should provide.

Thank you.
Hi Xxxxx,

Thanks for your interest. As you may know, there has been a lot of scams lately in the LLLL.com area. I am happy to sell you these names, but since you have no trader or post history here, we will need to use Moneybookers, Escrow, or you can make a wire transfer to my account. Paypal is just not safe. It is easy to set up accounts and I will split the fees.

Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

best,
Ken

xxxxx said:
Hello,

Nope, I can pay only throught Paypal.

Thanks.

There you have it. Ballsy, huh?

•••
Well it doesn't look like he got too far. I alerted management and I see the account in question is now closed.

I checked and his one TR came from someone whose account is also now closed. The latter also had one TR - given by the first account.

Buncha chumps.

•••
One of the members here pmed me about those two... I sent a report to management too. Getting really frustrating seeing how many scammers there are out there, but at least we know we're doing the best we can to protect Namepros members.

krx said:
Well it doesn't look like he got too far. I alerted management and I see the account in question is now closed.

I checked and his one TR came from someone whose account is also now closed. The latter also had one TR - given by the first account.

Buncha chumps.

•••
•••
oh my god I never thought there is so much risk involved in paypal transactions. Thanks for bringing this issue to our notice.

chakru

•••
I got scammed out of XRAA.com in Sept of 2006. User paid with paypal from a stolen account. Nothing I could do about it... this was after 100+ domain sales via forums with no issues. Since then I have been extra careful with buyers.

•••
•••
The video is extremely blurry, I guess the point is that a member called "openareas" is a scammer.
CHILLY said:
What is this? I saw it some months ago...Does anybody know how to expand it or make it clearer:

•••
•••
another alert: I would get an offer for a domain on SEDO and it would be accepted instantly by the buyer. However ..... I never logged into my SEDO account to accept this offer. Buyer paid for the domain already and SEDO is asking me to intiate a transfer request. Anyone else seen this?

•••
thsung said:
another alert: I would get an offer for a domain on SEDO and it would be accepted instantly by the buyer. However ..... I never logged into my SEDO account to accept this offer. Buyer paid for the domain already and SEDO is asking me to intiate a transfer request. Anyone else seen this?

Maybe you made a counter offer and the buyer accepted that? Haven't heard of any kind of fraud being committed at sedo.

•••
thsung said:
You probably set it for fixed price instead of make an offer

•••
Hey I also received an email from [email protected]

It's a phising email referring to paypal, stating that my account needs to be updated.

>:( Scammers back off >:(

•••
fleadom said:
Hey I also received an email from [email protected]

It's a phising email referring to paypal, stating that my account needs to be updated.

>:( Scammers back off >:(

yea i recieved too... but im careful this time:)

•••
There's another very large fraud investigation going on over at the other forum. Moderators over there have recommended people stay away from the following domains until it can be verified who the real owner is:

illu.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
neoo.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
bogy.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
veko.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
chah.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
mopi.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
admy.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
jeef.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
skyfish.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
gtgame.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
konet.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
gtoy.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
cdcm.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
keti.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
latt.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
xran.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
lave.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
anbu.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
jasu.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
morr.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
acct.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
sibe.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
jins.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
ftc.net [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-14 2008-04-14 Federal Trade Commision(Already has been SOLD)
microgreen.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-14 2008-04-14
gmeil.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
gmailcom.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
gmaii.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
frgoogle.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
gmile.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
gmill.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
wowmart.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
youworld.com [email protected] Go Daddy Software,.. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13

3004.COM
DESIGNK.COM
DTWS.COM
GMDX.COM
HZHZ.COM
ICOZ.COM
JNSP.COM
REEX.COM
YESM.COM
GEHO.COM
WIHY.COM
SMSLIFE.COM
COJI.COM
OSSY.COM
MUKS.COM Ki
IZIP.COM

junto.com [email protected] Dotster, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
bestland.com [email protected] Dotster, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
uspace.com [email protected] Dotster, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
postdata.com [email protected] Dotster, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13

achannel.com [email protected] eNom, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
texo.com [email protected] eNom, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
rentsale.com [email protected] eNom, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
advision.com [email protected] eNom, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
blak.com [email protected] eNom, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13

eeee.com [email protected] Moniker Online Ser.. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
egf.com [email protected] Moniker Online Ser.. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
openclub.com [email protected] Name.com LLC 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
everygame.com [email protected] Name.com LLC 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
gns.net [email protected] Network Solutions,.. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
freesociety.com [email protected] Rebel.com Services.. 2008-04-15 2008-04-15
cznet.com [email protected] register.com, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
elli.com [email protected] register.com, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13
gtoys.com [email protected] register.com, Inc. 2008-04-13 2008-04-13

I was interested in one of these domains and I'm aware that at least 2 other NPers were in negotiations over some of these names as well. I'd recommend putting off any purchases of any of the names listed above until management over there gets to the bottom of this. The whois details are updated on these domains as per the dates the original poster suggests they were stolen and the current owner seems to be in a hurry to offload these domains, which seems somewhat questionable at best.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back