IT.COM

Vegan Debate

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

En

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Do we have any vegans at NamePros?

Anyone want to debate why they believe they have the right to enslave, manipulate, force, bully into submission, and send innocent gentle animals to a slaughterhouse full of uneducated employees that have a career in mass murder?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This thread sounds like it was spun from straight a peta pamphlet :rolleyes:. (Don't get me started on that bunch.)

Im a long time vegetarian, I'm not vegan, I respect other people's choices and in return expect them to respect mine. We're all on our own path.

That said,
  • Not everyone can eat all plant protein. Some people are allergic to soy or nuts. Some people are gluten intolerant. People with conditions like Crohns have to keep vegetable intake to a minimum. Most plants, while they have protein, do not have complete amino acids, making the protein less usable.
  • Vegan foods, especially organic foods, can be expensive. The higher the demand,the higher the prices go. Over the years I've watched several one-time vegetarian staples become popular and the prices get crazy accordingly. Quinoa, for example. used to be cheap, then it got popular.
  • The production of meat for food is a huge industry, many people depend on it to put food on their own tables. Abolish the industry and you put people out of jobs, human families suffer. Economies suffer.
  • As a food source, meat and dairy production is less susceptible to damage from unexpected weather conditions - heat, frost, drought, excessive rain, and the like.
  • Having all the animals running around in the sun like a small happy family farm is a nice picture. It would also dramatically raise the prices of food. A lot of low income families subsist on eggs because they're cheap and nutritious. Lower productivity in the industry and the price goes up, possibly out of reach for those families.
  • Many food animals are raised in restrictive conditions and don't have good lives. Many humans are born into dismal conditions and lead sad lives too. Some babies die of disease or starvation before reaching adulthood - at least the animals are fed. Maybe they all committed heinous deeds in a past life and this is their destiny.

Last edited:
•••
What are you guys talking about?
Cow.jpg

•••
"There are as many creatures on your body as there are people on Earth."

If you think you aren't killing living things all day long, you're nuts. Just to put it in perspective, there are thousands of mites living just in your eyebrows alone. You can be munching a carrot in the shower feeling great and yet be drowning hundreds of live beings and not even know it!

So if life requires death, no matter what you eat, then maybe this argument is not about what you think it is about. Maybe we are all just assholes looking to point out why other people should be our type of asshole and not theirs.

Last edited:
•••
I think a lot of people who eat meat like to see that too. See my earlier post about quality meat. More and more are moving to that direction. One example is organic meat:

I've noticed that and think it's wonderful. A HUGE step in the right direction. The next step would be tapping into our creativity and cutting back on eating meat in every single meal. Most people don't consider the course official without meat in breakfast, lunch and dinner. This isn't quite unique to America but it's pretty close. If you go awhile without eating meat, instead replacing it with substitutes, you'll soon realize that with the exception of steak ala carte, the meat itself provides more texture than flavor and most of the flavor you love lives in the seasonings, sauce and marinades. Not saying there's none,but for me at least, seeing what I've seen, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. At the very least we should all know what we're consuming and where it comes from.

•••
This issue is so so much deeper than simply making better food choices. A single mother of 4 who is working two jobs and has no idea about nutrition is not likely to stop getting cheap dinners from Mcd's. She just doesn't have the time or the knowledge of how to shop efficiently and cook healthfully. Multiply that times 5 million, then add all the meat lovers who could care less how their food is sourced....
Yes, it will always come down to that choice in the end of what gets put in your mouth, but there are many complex factors which contribute to how that decision gets made. Healthy, organic food is not necessarily cheap, nor is it everywhere. Farmers markets don't take food stamps....
Lots of issues to consider before saying it is just a simple solution of not putting the food in your mouth, even though when it comes down to it, that is the solution.
Just like quitting cigarettes, the real solution is to just never put them in your mouth again, but the physical and mental addiction makes this solution extraordinarily difficult.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry, but this protein scam is getting tiring. I personally do sports 6 days a week, couple of hours daily on pure vegan diet. I've been doing this for 6 years. I'm just one in a million who does the same. There are vegan bodybuilders, Olympic athletes, ultra-marathon runners etc.

Let me show you an example. Everyone thinks the meat-alternatives are not full of nutrients and you will miss something if you don't eat dead flesh. That's just utter bollocks:

Beyond-Burger-vs.-Beef-Burger-1-1016x1024.jpg

Source: https://ecohungry.com/beyond-burger-vs-beef-burger/

I've tried and Beyond burger tastes out of world. It's basically the same thing as meat without the disgusting chewy parts that would remind you that you are actually eating a living being which was killed for the pure selfish purpose of satisfying the taste buds of people.

I think this image (see link for the actual research) sums it up pretty well. The plant based alternatives are a hundred times better for the environment (no need to further destroy rain forests), and they are better for you. Less chance for cancer and heart-diseases.

What's not to like about it?

•••
I think if you like meat you eat meat. If you don't like meet you eat broccoli.

You can argue for how animals are treated, but not over them being a food source for us.
I'm am not for animal cruelty etc... but killing an animal for the purpose of food is good.
But that's the point.

Meat-eaters do not even see them as being alive.

All they talk about is death, yet what about their life?

They are not just being killed, they do not even exist. Complete ignorance.

We hear about if there is life in the universe, what do we care?

Unless it's little grey, human-like super beings, with advanced technology that we can steal...

However, the meat-eaters wont be happy being treated in the same way that they have treated other lifeforms (or even their own species).

Where is the future of humanity heading?

Last edited:
•••
Vegetarianism has roots in ancient India. In fact, currently 70% of the world’s vegetarians are Indians and there are more vegetarians in India than in any other country in the world.l

•••
Check out Philippines approach in war on drugs.
I know, there is no respect for life on Earth. The vulnerable are always the easy target.

•••
  • Beef is consumed 77.8 million times each day across America.
  • Beef is the #1 food source for Protein, Vitamin B12 and Zinc! Beef is also the #3 food source of iron behind fortified cereal and grains. 12
The U.S. Government does everything within it's power to make sure that animals are put down in the most humane way possible. Those that don't follow the guidelines will be fined and possibly shut down.

It is what it is and isn't going to change..

Last edited:
•••
Cows are gentle social animals. They have the ability to recognize more than 100 other cows, and they form close friendships with members of their herd. Researchers report that cows grieve when their friends or family members die.

•••
I eat meat but after seeing this maybe we should all be aware!

Attachments

• deer hunting.jpg
    deer hunting.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 56
•••
•••
•••
•••
I respect vegan's decisions, but it would be lovely if they respected our decisions too. What I don't like is that a small part of the vegan group is actively forcing their opinions in the face of meat eaters.

I see an overlap with religious extremists. A lot of religious people are very respectable, have noble thoughts and respect other's opinions. However, a small group who cannot accept another opinion can ruin the percention of the total group.

•••
•••
I dont eat meat a lot and when I eat I eat what my religion permits me to eat and it has to be prepared in a certain way. There is no point in saying vegans are better or anything.

•••
Dude if people didn't eat me centuries ago to survive you would not even be here today.

you are right

I eat seafish
so I am not vegan

but educated yourself how
chicken and pork and cow meat is "produced" today
not in ancient times
and "bon appetite"

•••
•••
personally I can see nobody screaming here

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Having lived in the US for 7 years of my life in the late 70's, the first thing that my taste buds caught, was how bland and tasteless most American foods were. The vegetables, the fruit, the eggs, the meats etc. all tasted like a watered down version of the real thing.

All this tasteless food could only be the result of the massive amount of herbacides and other chemicals used to produce vegies, fruit and the various types of meats. I'm not even gonna talk about processed food which I believe is also an American invention. That really tastes like crap.

Fast food... another American invention... means that once again lots of people are eating a lot of junk. Unfortunately all those famous American Fast Food chains have spread all over the world. Thank God I don't eat that crap.

Americans (and increasingly Europeans) also eat a whole lot of GM (Genetically Modified) foods... all forced down our throats by governments that have been bought by the big GM Food Companies like Monsanto, DuPont, Syngenta, Bayer and others. All these thousands of GM foods are nothing more than a load of crap going into our bellies.

Here is a massive list of GM products that Americans (and others) buy. Better sit on your chair so you don't fall off from the shock... unless off course you think that GM food is good for you.
http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/06/comprehensive-list-of-gmo-products-and-companies.html

So when I hear some Vegetarians insisting and arguing that eating only veggies is healthy and meat eaters are unhealthy or murderers I really have a good laugh.

What's even more amazing is to see some vegans in this thread "Disliking" some posts by meat eaters, as if meat eaters are not entitled to their opinions or choosing whatever they decide to eat or even that they had the audacity to challenge Vegans.

To those radical Vegans I would suggest you re-read Enlytend 's well written and very balanced post in the previous page (post #60 ). BTW, she is a vegetarian.

As for me, I love my meat, fish and poultry, but I equally love my veggies and fruit.

In fact our meals at home allways consist of 3 plates: Starting off with a good hearty vegetable soup (my wife makes fantastic soups), followed by the 2nd plate which consists of a not too big portion of either fish meat or poultry, accompanied by either rice, potatoes or pasta and veggies. Finally the 3rd plate is almost allways fruit.

So as you can see, meat, poultry or fish represents a small portion (no more than 10%) of our diet.

I love my veggies and fruit, but I love my meat and fish as well.... oh and I love my wife's soups. They are so good, that many times I'll have 2 or 3 plates and skip the 2nd plate all together.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back