Dynadot

.tv .tv as an extension?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I just picked up my first domain with the .tv extension. The domain is H2OSports.tv. Anyone know anything about the extension .tv? Anyone seen it used? Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Agreed....Is it a premium renewal though?
That I cannot answer but someone believed it was worth the risk, no site resolves as yet

•••
Agreed....Is it a premium renewal though?

Pay.tv is not premium renewal. It is the normal ($25 - $35) per year renewal fee.

•••
Some decent LLL sales listed at Namebio

•••
Turns out Booking.Tv redirects to Booking/Com

•••
Check out NHL.tv and MLB.tv.
They are the domains Major League Baseball and National Hockey League uses to offer their monthly streaming tv subscription services.

Last edited:
•••
Check out NHL.tv and MLB.tv.
They are Baseball and Hockeys monthly subscription services. Pretty cool if you ask me.
Seems cheap enough for the fans

•••
Ex : i watched netflix and amazon prime this weekend. Id just say I binge watched some tv. Easier and people understand im not sinply referring to a regular old tv. (Shameless self promotion...im developing Binge.tv lol)

Understand that I'm only playing devils advocate here, I am not belittling your domains...

My kids say.... I watched netflix, they don't say they watched tv.

In the future when a couple of services take over everything we will refer to the service not tv.
Remember the screen anywhere motto is coming... watch your show on your tv, move it to your laptop, finish watching on your phone or in the future your fridge.

So more than likely your kids will say I binged on netflix or prime, or whatever takes over. The term tv will only be an appliance as a single mode of watching when multiple delivery methods will be available with probably even vr. Do we need a tv when it is projected into the room? Will it even be a tv or just a box.

Just saying....

Last edited:
•••
If you take .tv literally, you've already missed the point.
  • The extension is universal
  • Brands are using it as cheap protection
  • People are sleeping on .tv domains and there's still time to invest in a category killer
If you get good ones HODL onto them as the prices have been super consistent and undervalued. Yes, they are expensive to buy and renew but it's worth it. I sold Roman.tv back in '13 and it forwards to a dept store in the UK. Just picked up "specs" in the same extension and will expect the same results in a few years.

•••
One cannot argue with sales stats but it will be interesting to watch. In the end I hope I am wrong on this one because I will probably search out a couple of good ones as well and I'm not too proud to take a profit if fortune should smile upon me. :xf.smile:

•••
I do think the singular works best with .Tv when it comes to branding.

•••
.tv is a tough but rewarding extension. I have only sold about 5 .tv domains in the past 10+ years (and have only had about 15 at most), but all 5 were for a combined 5 figures (purchase price combined was at most low $x,xxx).

I would stick with highly brandable/premium one words, premium two words, LL.tv, premium LLL.tv that are words and premium GEO's. There is little liquidity in .tv so not many reseller sales.

There are other Namepros members like @donnied79 that are way more experienced in .tv than me though.

Last edited:
•••
I see dot tv domains used all of the time. Just saw a couple brand new use cases thia past week.

Show attachment 78825 Show attachment 78826

Dot tvs always have great sales. One of the most consistent tlds. Much more consistent than any of those rollercoaster priced and inconsistenr renewal rate new Gtlds especially since great sales are always reported for past 10+ years. 360.tv sold for 65k a few months ago.

USA.tv was not sold for only 5 digits. It actually sold for 6 digits @ $125,000 by NP member @donnied79

https://www.namepros.com/threads/usa-tv-sold-for-125k.905564/

Good luck with your new dot tv Bulloney!

Thanks,
Vito

Thanks Vito...your post got me so pumped, I just purchased my second .tv....BullseyeSports.tv. We're talking two words and 14 letters here, but I have so much Bull, it might just work:xf.wink: To compliment it, I also bought BullseyeSports.live.

Any thoughts on who might be interested? Thanks again Vito.

Last edited:
•••
There are a lot of redirects, sure. Same as dot com. Probably same with every tld out there. I was looking for 2 completely seperate unique niches today in dot com. I feel like i looked up every generic sensible 2 worder for both categories and i found many redirects and many for sale in both categories.

Based on your pet and tv theme, Here is an interesting one though. Pets.tv is owned by Byron Allen of Entertainment Studios. His show is a full fledged video content show all about pets. Same story as Comedy.tv which he owns and produces. He has quite a few great ones other than those 2 i mentioned.

Coolest thing though about ES (Entertainment Studios) is he uses the actual domain name as the title of the show. So when you look at your guide you see the Pets.tv show as "Pets.tv"
What does a .tv cost to register, my registrar charges 50 bucks and I can get it on sale at 32.

Yikes..... if I had a lot of those it would really eat into my profits.
I registered H2OSports.tv and BullseyeSports.tv at Epik for 29.99 each.

•••
It's a good idea to know who might be a potential buyer no matter what the extension before you reg, good luck

•••
It's a good idea to know who might be a potential buyer no matter what the extension before you reg, good luck

Hi Rod...I think you were one of the 1st members on NamesPro I checked out when I arrived in November, and I've enjoyed your posts since. After I'd read some of the comments on this thread about .tv extensions, I decided I wanted a couple more, thus I budgeted $100 to spend. And after reading your comment, I jut went and reg'd my third .tv domain within the last 24 hours...it's FirstMemories.tv. I share this because, first, it was available and second because I'm in the process of developing an online presence for First Car Memories, LLC, and in addition to FirstCarMemories.com, I own, FirstDateMemories, FirstJobMemories and a few other first time memory domains that would make for great tv imho!. The point I wanted to make here is I didn't have time to research for a "potential buyer", I just went with my gut. I tend to shoot from the hip, and I tend to be right more often than not. And that's not to say FirstMemories.tv is necessarily a winner, but the 29.99 I paid for it is a whole lot better than the lottery, or any other form of gambling for that matter.

Thanks again Rod,

Bulloney:xf.grin:

•••
Hey Friend I want you to think about who will buy these names and if you cannot come to a solid conclusion you need to wait. Domaining is a money pit and so is .Tv. Sorry but whilst I appreciate your feedback you need to do your research. I gotta be honest and say I have never heard the term "first time" Any memory is in a time line. You know what .Tv is just too expensive to go on gut feelings! It is very much a "niche" specific category .... Movie/s .Tv = Yes ...... Film/s .Tv = Yes Channel/s .Tv = Yes Show/s = Yes .. Memory = NO
I can't be anymore clearer, Yes there is room for branding but it needs to be specific to a definite niche. FirstMemories will have trouble finding a buyer. Autosales will be more target based and more likely to sell.
No-one is perfect, I held BusinessShow and DateShow for a number of years and eventually let them drop. To be honest I still wish I had developed them ..... they were good names and suited the extension. The domain must suit the extension with .Tv .... that's the secret. I wish all .Tv investors well, regards

•••
Hey Friend I want you to think about who will buy these names and if you cannot come to a solid conclusion you need to wait. Domaining is a money pit and so is .Tv. Sorry but whilst I appreciate your feedback you need to do your research. I gotta be honest and say I have never heard the term "first time" Any memory is in a time line. You know what .Tv is just too expensive to go on gut feelings! It is very much a "niche" specific category .... Movie/s .Tv = Yes ...... Film/s .Tv = Yes Channel/s .Tv = Yes Show/s = Yes .. Memory = NO
I can't be anymore clearer, Yes there is room for branding but it needs to be specific to a definite niche. FirstMemories will have trouble finding a buyer. Autosales will be more target based and more likely to sell.
No-one is perfect, I held BusinessShow and DateShow for a number of years and eventually let them drop. To be honest I still wish I had developed them ..... they were good names and suited the extension. The domain must suit the extension with .Tv .... that's the secret. I wish all .Tv investors well, regards

You've never heard the term "first time"? Rod, there's a first time for everything! There's a first time you tied your shoes, the first time you smiled, the first time you laughed and the first time you learned to read and write....I could go on and on, but there's no end in sight. What I'm still missing about this industry is domainers fear of loosing money...gee, it's only money, and not a lot of money at that. Not only do I tend to shoot from the hip, and I'm sure this comes across as arrogance, but I tend to be more successful when someone challenges me, and "I can't be any more clear". Your point about developing certain names vs. selling them is a good one, and the fact that I'm developing First Car Memories, makes me a "potential buyer" for FirstMemories.tv, should I be successful. Make sense?

•••
This. I understand if you’re an end user and want the extension but to go back and forth between a domainer and end user titles is foolish regarding the extension in this case.

Maybe if the domain was taken in at minimum 10 other extensions it would sound more legit. To each thine own.

•••
Wow, there is a lot of great information for you here in this thread.

I see you are relatively new here at NP and based on a few of your posts here in this thread I am gonna reach out a bit more here to help you with my own personal opinions of dot tv based on almost 10 years of experience in this tld. Dot Tv is friggen awesome. It is my 2nd favorite tld. Sometimes first based on the keyword. I have made money in dot tv. When I started out though, I did lose money because I was as wide eyed and bushy tailed as you were. I was regging tons of stuff when there were killer dot tvs in the aftermarket that were 100x better and only 10x more expensive than the hand reg's I was doing.

Thanks Vito...your post got me so pumped, I just purchased my second .tv....BullseyeSports.tv. We're talking two words and 14 letters here, but I have so much Bull, it might just work:xf.wink: To compliment it, I also bought BullseyeSports.live.

Any thoughts on who might be interested? Thanks again Vito.

I registered H2OSports.tv and BullseyeSports.tv at Epik for 29.99 each.

If you are developing these, than any domain you choose can and will work with lots of time, effort, and money. But if you are buying these for resale, I see extra inventory at this time. Lets look at these 2 domains and analyze them a little further.
H20Sports.tv
I see quite a few other domains that can be better. WaterSports, Each water sport individually regged (WaterPolo.tv) etc. H20.tv, Water.tv Sports.tv, etc.

Lets look at BullseyeSports.tv - This could be a killer "Brand" as anything could be. BallSports could be a brand if I put time, effort and money into it. Lets see what can be better here, Archery, Shooting, Target, Targets, Bullseye, Hunting, Sports, Sporting, etc.

So you asked me who may be interested in this domain, I honestly have no idea. I think it covers many bullseye sports and whoever is into archery is not into shotgun sports as well and are probably only promoting the one sport they are in to. I could be wrong though. I would go with more specific domain names though.

My only reason for being here right now is to help. You remind me of myself upon entering dot tv. Be careful of your regging anything that is available and sounds cool. I am not sure how much you have spent so far in your new reg's but It is my belief that I have dropped domains that are better than these that you are regging right now in dot tv.

Like I said, if these are for your development, then that is bad ass! I wish you the best and hope it will be online one day making you boatloads of money. But form a domainer perspective, I see inventory that will sit for years at this point.

The key here is making a great sale once in a while. That affords us the luxury of holding and renewing others in our portfolio that are more speculative but until you are at that point I just see extra expenses now.

Please prove me wrong though. I would love to see you sell one of those for $xxx or better.

Just saw a commercial for
RichOnTech.tv
Not the best domain name to tell you the truth, but he made it awesome with a full fledged tv tech review site. He could have afforded Tech.tv or Rich.tv or whatever i assume since he is on WGN tv channel all the time but he made an awesome brand name on a dot tv which is perfect since he is a video content creator. You can do the same thing as well with any of those but if you're like me and want to develop 70% of your portfolio, but don't do it then they can add up.

I do really like your first memories idea though. FirstCarMemories.com as a built out site can be very cool. It is a site I would stop at and probably get lost in as I was viewing all of the bad ass steel and muscle that used to be. Now I could see that as a cool dot tv site especially if that had many car videos along with the stories/memories.

Best of luck to you brother,
Vito

Last edited:
•••
Wow, there is a lot of great information for you here in this thread.

I see you are relatively new here at NP and based on a few of your posts here in this thread I am gonna reach out a bit more here to help you with my own personal opinions of dot tv based on almost 10 years of experience in this tld. Dot Tv is friggen awesome. It is my 2nd favorite tld. Sometimes first based on the keyword. I have made money in dot tv. When I started out though, I did lose money because I was as wide eyed and bushy tailed as you were. I was regging tons of stuff when there were killer dot tvs in the aftermarket that were 100x better and only 10x more expensive than the hand reg's I was doing.

If you are developing these, than any domain you choose can and will work with lots of time, effort, and money. But if you are buying these for resale, I see extra inventory at this time. Lets look at these 2 domains and analyze them a little further.
H20Sports.tv
I see quite a few other domains that can be better. WaterSports, Each water sport individually regged (WaterPolo.tv) etc. H20.tv, Water.tv Sports.tv, etc.

Lets look at BullseyeSports.tv - This could be a killer "Brand" as anything could be. BallSports could be a brand if I put time, effort and money into it. Lets see what can be better here, Archery, Shooting, Target, Targets, Bullseye, Hunting, Sports, Sporting, etc.

So you asked me who may be interested in this domain, I honestly have no idea. I think it covers many bullseye sports and whoever is into archery is not into shotgun sports as well and are probably only promoting the one sport they are in to. I could be wrong though. I would go with more specific domain names though.

My only reason for being here right now is to help. You remind me of myself upon entering dot tv. Be careful of your regging anything that is available and sounds cool. I am not sure how much you have spent so far in your new reg's but It is my belief that I have dropped domains that are better than these that you are regging right now in dot tv.

Like I said, if these are for your development, then that is bad ass! I wish you the best and hope it will be online one day making you boatloads of money. But form a domainer perspective, I see inventory that will sit for years at this point.

The key here is making a great sale once in a while. That affords us the luxury of holding and renewing others in our portfolio that are more speculative but until you are at that point I just see extra expenses now.

Please prove me wrong though. I would love to see you sell one of those for $xxx or better.

Just saw a commercial for
RichOnTech.tv
Not the best domain name to tell you the truth, but he made it awesome with a full fledged tv tech review site. He could have afforded Tech.tv or Rich.tv or whatever i assume since he is on WGN tv channel all the time but he made an awesome brand name on a dot tv which is perfect since he is a video content creator. You can do the same thing as well with any of those but if you're like me and want to develop 70% of your portfolio, but don't do it then they can add up.

I do really like your first memories idea though. FirstCarMemories.com as a built out site can be very cool. It is a site I would stop at and probably get lost in as I was viewing all of the bad ass steel and muscle that used to be. Now I could see that as a cool dot tv site especially if that had many car videos along with the stories/memories.

Best of luck to you brother,
Vito
Thx Vito...that's all good stuff. I see where you're coming from having to do with the more generic .tv names I registered. While I thought they were pretty good because one covered "all water sports", and I thought the other might cover "all sports", I wasn't thinking about the real end user, the consumer who may be looking for more specific sports like "water polo", and "target shooting" or even "hunting"? However, that said, if someone wanted to try and develop either of these names, could I just rent/lease the names to them for a nominal fee to start, and to the extent they're successful, a higher fee or buy out later? I'm thinking of doing something similar for all my domains which should officially be on the market in the next 30 days. Finally, speaking of "Bad Ass", I luv the fact your first car was "Bad Ass", and you don't know how many people I've spoken to who absolutely luv to share memories about their first car.

Gotta go, but I would luv to continue our conversation. Thanks again Vito.

•••
Very well said/written Donnie. Same exact thing here with me. Ive sold a half dozen-ish 5 figure dot tv domains as well but you're right about the instant liquidity if needed. Not so easy when you want a quick sale.
@donnied79

I've been holding a number of .tv's for a few years without any sales to speak of. I did have one $25,000 deal that I muffed, unfortunately. It was a startup and they had their lawyer draw up a contract. I raised a question when I should have just signed, after which someone on their side got cold feet. Oh well..

But my question is, those of you with some good .tv sales, what is your sales strategy? Do you put up a for sale landing page and wait for buyers to come to you, pursue outbound leads, list on Sedo, etc? Or other methods? Would be great to know what has worked with these.

•••
Most of my sales come from the direct contacts I receive from Domain Name Sales landing page and previously Sedo. I've sold some domains sending email to endusers but it can really go from great results to zero replies...

•••
, if someone wanted to try and develop either of these names, could I just rent/lease the names to them for a nominal fee to start, and to the extent they're successful, a higher fee or buy out later? I'm thinking of doing something similar for all my domains which should officially be on the market in the next 30 days.

Those are yours to own as long as you keep renewing them. You can lease them out, sell them, sell them with a rent to own, payment plans, whatever you want.

@*AllThings.tv* had a cool story of a rent to own payment plan 1 year structure for Pimp.tv. i believe he took a chunk of money down and created 12 monthly payments for renters to rent to own.

Here it is - https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-tv-sales-here.423232/page-21#post-4042227

Last edited:
•••
  • rent to own payment plan
  • 1 year structure for Pimp.tv
  • chunk of money down
  • created 12 monthly payments
Times must be tough. Even pimps are selling domain names now 😛

•••
  • rent to own payment plan
  • 1 year structure for Pimp.tv
  • chunk of money down
  • created 12 monthly payments
Times must be tough. Even pimps are selling domain names now 😛

They must have been rookie pimps with some bad talent...lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back