NameSilo

Transfer of domain ownership?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
In order to change the registrant of owner for a domain, it is required that a form with both parties signatures be completed. In case of death of the domain owner is it then impossible to transfer ownership? Is it possible to put domain names in some kind of trust to prevent such a loss?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Aside from the fact that paper is no longer necessary to transfer domains, there are all sorts of things that have to be signed by dead people - tax forms, deeds on real estate, transfers to close out bank accounts etc. You need a signature to transfer title to a car, for example. In most jurisdictions in the US, this problem is generally solved by the designated executor (in case of a will), or the intestate administrator (if no will), applying to the probate court for a piece of paper which essentially says, "X is dead, and Y is authorized to sign for X".

•••
Thank you for the information. The reason I asked is that where I have my domains registered, it's states that a form with original signatures must be completed in order to transfer ownership. Since I have just gone through signing papers for my father and mother who recently passed away, I do understand how it works. I guess the term orginal signatures had me concerned. Thanks again for your information.

•••
As you just discovered, some registrars still require ownership transfers via
fax. But this is one case where it's needed.

patches said:
Is it possible to put domain names in some kind of trust to prevent such a loss?

The important thing is to be able to access the domain name account with
your username or account number and password. Once in, make sure the info
within is updated, and do update the account if the need arises.

•••
The important thing is to be able to access the domain name account with
your username or account number and password.

...and keep control of the admin contact email address.

•••
jberryhill said:
...and keep control of the admin contact email address.

And that, too. Thanks!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back