new gtlds This Comic Perfectly Shows What Will Happen to New gTLD Investors

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
s2-e15-go-bigger-go-homeless-comic.png

by @Eric Lyon

http://domaincomics.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Registry failures will be many.

New protocols don't warrant a separate TLD. .mobi was obsolete at birth because the distinction between desktop and mobile had already blurred.
A good domain name should not be time-sensitive. That applies to the extension too. For example I am not sure the world 'blog' will still be fashionable in ten years.
Speaking of which, many extensions will be retired at some point. Don't bet on the wrong .horse.

•••
•••
i spent 10k on mobi's. i was new to domaining at the time and thought it was an opportunity to get in on the ground floor...dead wrong. i made nothing back on them and have dropped most but still have the ones i spent the most on. a good but expensive lesson early on.

•••
i spent 10k on mobi's. i was new to domaining at the time and thought it was an opportunity to get in on the ground floor...dead wrong. i made nothing back on them and have dropped most but still have the ones i spent the most on. a good but expensive lesson early on.
I lost more in 2000 with .coms. I registered a stack of names, they weren't bad but they weren't great either. Got good money for a few of them but overall lost a lot. An expensive lesson for me too.

•••
I lost 10K in my first year on .coms

As you indicate and I agree, most people lose money domaining. I think it's important to point out that it's not just on the new domains.

Problem is imo is that you spent 10k and more in your first year.
Second problem is not with domaining but with people thinking they they can make easy money with no work.

•••
i spent 10k on mobi's. i was new to domaining at the time and thought it was an opportunity to get in on the ground floor...

The .mobii registry very actively encouraged people to believe that - that they were cornering mobile traffic. One guy spent $600k on music.mobi in a reserved premiums auction, the auction made Sedo crash and had to be re-run, by then he was less keen.

Those auctions had reserves of at least $1k, sometimes $5k+.

Second problem is not with domaining but with people thinking they they can make easy money with no work.

They were making easy money while the bubble was going up.

Last edited:
•••
.mobi was never seen before hype, names were selling at crazy prices, and 2 years later names that used to be worth 6 figures became worthless. The fall was truly spectacular.
For example Hotel.mobi sold for $43,000 in 2007
http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2007/ytd-sales-charts-2007.htm
It dropped.

RealEstate dropped too, it sold for 85K back in 2007.
Property dropped as well along with other premiums. Some domainers invested and lost 5, 6 figures on .mobi (same happened with other extensions too, example: .xxx .tel).

Rick sold flowers.mobi for 5K. He reportedly bought it for 200K.

So I hope that people understand now why I tell you that the value of domains, I mean TLDs, can depreciate over time. New extensions are selling best when they are fresh and the excitement is at a climax. Then the dust settles down and oblivion sets in.
Then another TLD comes in and History repeats itself. Somebody else will pick up where the previous generation left.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Oooouch! Did you make back the $10k @Jasonn selling domains? Another way?

Crazy! I could see buying Music.cctld but not a crap ngtld.

The .mobii registry very actively encouraged people to believe that - that they were cornering mobile traffic. One guy spent $600k on music.mobi in a reserved premiums auction, the auction made Sedo crash and had to be re-run, by then he was less keen.

Those auctions had reserves of at least $1k, sometimes $5k+.

Now, not so much. Hopefully many new Gs will die fast.

They were making easy money while the bubble was going up.

Thanks for the throwback prices @Kate. What do you think those could sell for now? Regfee? :)

.mobi was never seen before hype, names were selling at crazy prices, and 2 years later names that used to be worth 6 figures became worthless. The fall was truly spectacular.
For example Hotel.mobi sold for $43,000 in 2007
http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2007/ytd-sales-charts-2007.htm
It dropped.

RealEstate dropped too, it sold for 85K back in 2007.
Property dropped as well along with other premiums. Some domainers invested and lost 5, 6 figures on .mobi (same happened with other extensions too, example: .xxx .tel).

Rick could afford to gamble with new Gs, most on NPs can`t.

Rick sold flowers.mobi for 5K. He reportedly bought it for 200K.

Yes, they will LOSE value.

So I hope that people understand now why I tell you that the value of domains, I mean TLDs, can depreciate over time. New extensions are selling best when they are fresh and the excitement is at a climax. Then the dust settles down and oblivion sets in.

Then another TLD comes in and History repeats itself. Somebody else will pick up where the previous generation left.

Great article by Jeff. I believe heavily invests in .IN and .CA, right?

PS: a primer for new domainers who weren't around in 2006:
.Mobi – A Tower of Cards Waiting to Fall

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
I own no .mobi names. If it were possible to own a negative number of domain names to further distance yourself from the name space, I would probably own “negative thousands”

-Frank Schilling, on .MOBI. :)

http://www.domainbits.com/mobi/

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back