Dynadot

new gtlds It's Official no growth last 4 months in newGTLDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What's next. No growth in nGTLDs in the LAST 4 months, didn't even reach 30million. 30million was what ICANN budgeted for nGTLDs to be registered at the end of 2014
On any measure it's been disappointing
The question is what's next for the nGTLDs, do they go into the wilderness never to been known by the general public or is there only worth is to be used for scams and phishing emailing; and only to be known for ill intent.
One thing is for sure its RIP for domain investors in nGTLDs.
It's a blood bath out there....

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You ain't seen nothing, yet. Please stick to .com and you will be fine:)

•••
•••
•••
dont worry good gtlds are taken

•••
•••
Thank goodness for the forum's "Quote" feature ... lol .. seriously .. ngTLD's are not BLACK or WHITE ...

ngTLD's ARE SHADES OF GREY !!!

Bla bla bla .. I've literally said it before .. so I won't say it again (because I can just quote myself ... lol)

I'm relatively new .. but I'm getting reeeeaaaally tired of the all or nothing debates on every aspect of the new gTLD's .. seriously .. there are so many factors and shades of grey that everybody conveniently leaves out to justify their point of view.

Yes they can be some great use of them ..
.. but (IMO) yes most domainers don't seem to understand what works and what doesn't

Yes most of them are garbage ..
.. but yes some of them do have their rightful place on the Internet and are useful

Yes there was a good argument to add new TLD's
.. but yes they added too many and they were also implemented quite sloppily.

If you're buying 10 cent domains then unless you go there in the first 3 minutes it's very likely not worth it ..
.. if you're buying premiums that cost $1000's per year then it's also likely not worth it ..
.. if you find a cool span.thedot domain for $10-20 per year with an initial acquisition cost a fraction the cost of the equivalent .com then there's a chance you could be doing it right and might make a little $$ in the long term.

At the end of the day there are some fantastic nTLD domains ..
.. but most of them are garbage (seems I already said that .. lol)

So yes .. there are aspects of them that are inovative ...
.. and yes .. there are some aspects of them that are not!

ANYBODY who blanket judges and chooses one side or the other is missing out both potential losses and on potential opportunity.

Yes (y) ... and ... Yes (n)

•••
Renewal rates at Rightside below 60% for 2 years running. Sad!

•••
No worries, nGTLDs are doing very good actually! The number of domains sold is increasing if I look to my own domains. So I don't see why some people keep talking bad about nGTLD's.

It seems to me that some people just prefer to deal with .com's, while others prefer to deal with .nGTLD's.
If you don't like nGTLD's then just stick to .coms. And it would be nice to spend your time on some good .com stories if that works better for you, instead of talking negative about nGTLDs.
I believe most people here like to read inspiring posts instead of these negative messages about nGTLD's.

•••
•••
"One thing is for sure its RIP for domain investors in nGTLDs."

I still invest in nGTLD's and I do so very very peacefully, thanks. Not so much "Resting In" so I guess only the "P" would apply (Peacefully).. you can keep the "R + I" for yourself (In your case it would stand for Remain Ignorant)

Strange how my nGTLD's get good priced offers (which I have turned down) and some also are currently being brokered by one of the top 10 brokers in the industry. Remind me again, where about in the top 10 domain brokers are you ranked? Yeah....I thought so.

Last edited:
•••
•••
This chart is not looking too good either - https://ntldstats.com/

That doesn't even factor in the millions of .XYZ coming up. That number is likely to get far lower, unless Daniel Negari wants to lose millions more to inflate the registrations for another year.

Brad

•••
•••
"One thing is for sure its RIP for domain investors in nGTLDs."
you can keep the "R + I" for yourself (In your case it would stand for Remain Ignorant)
Remind me again, where about in the top 10 domain brokers are you ranked? Yeah....I thought so.
Making lots of assumptions there.
and how many times do you hear all lots of great offers for nGTLDs but you know its hot air when you see no new gTLD's sales recorded in DN Journal in the last two weeks, not just the top 20 but the whole week's report for sales above 1,000usd

Last edited:
•••
You can tell any story with different examples:
cap.PNG

.media is not a high reg extension but if you look it's got minor dips but slow registration. The registrars used are focused around typical end-user registrars rather than small domainer / volume focused.

There are quite a few sites actually developed on .media. Enough to move the needle for domain resellers/squatters/investors? Probably not, but there's a difference between a dead extension and a small reseller market. I've come across real small businesses using .agency .media etc. I really don't think the extension is as big a deal as people make out. Most of these businesses are directing traffic through their social media presence anyway.

.xyz and heavy speculation tlds are a waste of time for analysis. I'm sure @jmcc has stats to show even a different picture but if a domain works for a business it works,imho.

•••
No new gTLD's sales recorded in DN Journal in the last two weeks, not just the top 20 but the whole week's report for sales above 1,000usd

Who cares -is DNJ even relevant anymore? It's like the yellow pages - sometimes you wonder how it still exists.

Last edited:
•••
Making lots of assumptions there.
and how many times do you hear all lots of great offers for nGTLDs but you know its hot air when you see no new gTLD's sales recorded in DN Journal in the last two weeks, not just the top 20 but the whole week's report for sales above 1,000usd

Lol.. I'm the one making assumptions, really?

You assume: If sales are not recorded on DN journal they did not happen.(I myself have never reported any of my sales, not in cctld's or .com's or nGTLDS)
You assume: That I'm trying to say that nGTLD's are fast sellers. I have always remained firm that they thave a slow sales cycle at the moment. That might change going forward, we don't know. The bottom line is that they are profitable if you know what to register and if you are not expecting quick flips. I have also maintained that they can not all be painted with the same brush. Many of them are really cr@p but there are also really good ones.

Last edited:
•••
The final registry renewal rate for the fourth quarter of 2016 was 59% compared to 53% for the same quarter in 2015.

+6%

The Company ended the first quarter with approximately 590,000 registered domains, up 26% year-over-year.

+26%

Renewal rates at Rightside below 60% for 2 years running. Sad!

Sad that you are so desperate

•••
Lol.. I'm the one making assumptions, really?

You assume: If sales are not recorded on DN journal they did not happen.(I myself have never reported any of my sales, not in cctld's or .com's or nGTLDS)
You assume: That I'm trying to say that nGTLD's are fast sellers. I have always remained firm that they thave a slow sales cycle at the moment. That might change going forward, we don't know. The bottom line is that they are profitable if you know what to register and if you are not expecting quick flips. I have also maintained that they can not all be painted with the same brush. Many of them are really cr@p but there are also really good ones.
Same same had really good offers. if only you know what I know . Just sentiment no proof. Conviently no one is reporting all these newGTLDs sales.

•••
The final registry renewal rate for the fourth quarter of 2016 was 59% compared to 53% for the same quarter in 2015.

+6%

The Company ended the first quarter with approximately 590,000 registered domains, up 26% year-over-year.

+26%

Sad that you are so desperate
If you think renewal rates at less than 60% is good, when they are giving them away for cents now that is desperate.

•••
Same same had really good offers. if only you know what I know . Just sentiment no proof. Conviently no one is reporting all these newGTLDs sales.

Really? - notice the $xxxx recent sales as well, that has been reported.
https://namebio.com/?s==MTM5EDNxITM

Now I would expect some blah blah blah from you about these people got ripped off cos they paid too much or watch them drop those domains in a year or those must be fake sales by the registry.... same ol, same ol

Last edited:
•••
Really? - notice the $xxxx recent sales as well, that has been reported.
https://namebio.com/?s==MTM5EDNxITM

Now I would expect some blah blah blah from you about these people got ripped off cos they paid too much or watch them drop those domains in a year or those must be fake sales by the registry.... same ol, same ol
That's a very poor list for 2 months sales. As you rightly point out many are registry sales.
Being serious I just can't see the risk reward ratio on these names being anything but dismal. Short term or long term.

•••
You need vision to see.

No vision
No see

•••
That's a very poor list for 2 months sales. As you rightly point out many are registry sales.
Being serious I just can't see the risk reward ratio on these names being anything but dismal. Short term or long term.

If you are unable to see it, does not mean the opportunity does not exist.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back