Dynadot

new gtlds Rick Schwarz Predicts A "Collapse" Coming (ngTLD's)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will New Extensions Have A Major Collapse

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    67.8%
  • No

votes
    32.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
rs-tweet.png

What do you think? Based on Rick's tweets, I believe he is referring to new gTLDs.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think he's talking about gtlds, otherwise he would be selling his great names, and not be busy tweeting about it.

•••
I think he's talking about gtlds, otherwise he would be selling his great names, and not be busy tweeting about it.

He is talking about new gtlds, correct.

•••
Some of the sillier ones I can see this.

•••
In a few billion years from now the sun will "swallow" the earth and nobody will be able to stop it. Who cares if the new GTLDs will collapse :xf.smile::xf.cool:
I will make two mojitos now! :xf.grin:

•••
It seems that Putin believes that we are entering a new period of economic growth, but that the world economies are restructuring. For example, we now have an alternative to the IMF. It is my belief that the internet will stay, and the new prosperous countries with gold backed currencies will continue to use domain names. The real question is - which names will be valuable in the new world order?

•••
Show attachment 60612

What do you think? Based on Rick's tweets, I believe he is referring to new gTLDs.
I guess in his wildest and also most sweet dreams :)
Unfortunately, in reality, there will be no collapse whatsoever. It can happen that some extensions will change registries that operates them in future, but that is all.

•••
I just love the "wet eared domainer" comment. What's that about?

•••

It's those of us who are under water. I've got used to it, and I've learnt to breath water. :)

•••
............. and the new prosperous countries with gold backed currencies will continue to use domain names. The real question is - which names will be valuable in the new world order?
well, "goldbackedcurrencies" in .com is gone but there are other ways to get it. :xf.smile:

•••
•••
When the new extensions first started being released, I thought they were a little weird, but in a short amount of time I became almost desensitized. Today, I truly believe the extensions don't matter quite as much. In some ways, the new extensions have made .Com more valuable and in some ways less.

In the end I believe a domain extension is a form of expression and a way of identifying relevancy.

For most consumers, I think it is only a matter of time before usage increases.

As to investment value, I do believe that .Com currently is the least speculative. However, let's not forget that people made a lot of money selling jeans with holes, economy cars, fast food.

Hyundai is an example of a car maker that really changed perception over the years.

There are still people that read newspapers too. They never thought the Web would put papers out of business.

I can't wait for more people to come online. More people that build websites. More people that invest in domain names.

I have a good feeling that some investors in new extensions will do very well with their investments and I wish everyone the best of luck.

•••
Collapse... nope,

But a purge is very possible... purging of the weaker nGTLD's...leaving behind the stronger nGTLD's

Last edited:
•••
I think there will be a change in the importance of some keywords and keyphrases as well.

•••
Collapse... nope, purge possible... purging of the weaker nGTLD's...leaving behind the stronger nGTLD's

1,100 plus TLD's as of today. It's safe to say they're not all going to make it. But if 50% do that still leaves over 500 extensions with more on the way! Anyone who says new TLD's are doomed to failure, going away, or are worthless is really not paying attention to really what's going on. Adoption of new TLD's will take some time, so investment payoff may also take some time, but with internet behemoths Amazon (51 TLD's owned) and Google getting in the new gTLD business, if you think the writing isn't on the wall, I'll say it again, you're really not paying attention!

•••
i agree with him. the collapse will be more for domainers and less for registries though. something like .mobi x 500

for those who say this won't or can't happen, they said the same about registries raising premiium renewals or stealing domains.

the problem is not just the extensions being good/bad. it is also about supply and demand.

there is just too much supply and little demand. do the math. even if you hold good domains if there are too many of them you will have a hard time selling them.

internet behemoths being behind them doesn't mean anything. .mobi was said to be great because Google were backing them.

.co managed to get major companies using them. it was not disruptive.

an end-user today has many alternative choices to .com that's the problem.

if they don't go with .com they have many different non-whatever options. at the moment they prefer .co, .io over .whatever.

Last edited:
•••
Given that ngtlds are on the thin ice, such statements from industry leaders like Rick can actually turn into "self fulfilling prophecies" thinning the ice even further...

•••
•••
Wet eared means wet behind the ears which stands for inexperience or lack of experience.

•••

It refers to having only recently been born.

I have to agree with his statement about the gtlds and there's a lot of evidence to back it up. Has been for years now.

•••

Someone that is wet eared is a noob. He is talking about 99% of nGTLD investors, whom are noobs that have no idea. Saying stuff like:

"Unfortunately, in reality, there will be no collapse whatsoever."

In reality there have been multiple collapses before a single nTLD ever entered the scene. Hence for domainers that entered the game many years ago a collapse is not unfathomable. For newcomers who have very little to no experience, this can never happen. These people have hardly paid their first renewals but claim the same level of knowledge as people that have been in the industry for decades. People that refuse to listen can never learn. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Listen and learn. Then draw your own conclusions. This is the way to dry yourself behind the ears.

•••
Not all will collapse no, great keyword combinations between the left and the right of the dot will grow in value IMO, for example send.money, save.money, quit.today, healthy.living etc. Why? The power of marketing. Domainers tend to forget some domains are very useful as marketing tools themselves due their powerful memorability.

•••
Not all will collapse no, great keyword combinations between the left and the right of the dot will grow in value IMO, for example send.money, save.money, quit.today, healthy.living etc. Why? The power of marketing. Domainers tend to forget some domains are very useful as marketing tools themselves due their powerful memorability.

But it is feasible for a few decent names to keep a whole extension going?

•••
Well, overall reg numbers are dropping, 2.4 million in less than 2 months. - https://ntldstats.com/tld

Reason is the same argument talked about many times.

The general ones aren't that good.

Majority are niche and there are a limited of keywords that actually make sense. The ones that make no sense or ones where people add e, i, dashes, the etc, will probably never get offers, not only because they're bad and make no sense but because most people probably don't even know they exist. They will most likely drop. Even the most hardcore supporters, after a few years of not getting offers and maybe high renewals, some might actually smarten up and move on. What everybody does, trim the portfolio of non-performers.

Only way I can think of where the overall numbers go up are new extensions coming to market. Even with that, drops might outpace regs. Right now, you have what you have, and people will trim. It's not like there are some great keywords out there that haven't been gobbled up yet.

Last edited:
•••
I would argue that a collapse is not coming, but already here. Just look at the aftermarket, or lack of. From an investors view, the collapse has been happening for some time.

•••
Back