NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Well it appears as though it's happening. The launch of .land, .bike, .this, and .that is here and many more to come.

Show off your new .whatevers here and discuss why these are or are not good investments. Keep it cool, calm, and productive :)

I'll start with my new regs... absolutely none!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
5-10 years down the road .guru or any of these other gtlds will be just as "known" as .com.

Why settle for dogfoodguru.com when I can have dogfood.guru?

Developing these sites will take me many years. I am not saying I will be doing this quickly.

I respect everyones opinions but I personally believe .com is a thing of the past.

With 29 of those still available as .COM domains, I'm not sure why you'd choose the more expensive, less well known .GURU for something like Poodes.guru instead of PoodlesGuru.com.

That's a lot of websites for you to develop. I see that you just joined the forum this month. Honestly, it's too early for you to be putting so many eggs into one basket with so many holes in it.

Save some money and spend more time on research, people!

You bought one genuinely good one, though:

Dog.tips

•••
5-10 years down the road .guru or any of these other gtlds will be just as "known" as .com.

It seems like everybody that joined the forum on Feb 2014 thinks that. Extensions with a few thousand regs, will be just as known as the one with 112,000,000+ and growing.

I respect everyones opinions but I personally believe .com is a thing of the past.

No, not even debatable. It's one of the sillier things new people are posting. There are simply not enough keywords for most of these extensions. They will always have low numbers. It's not like sometime in the future, keywords that nobody has thought of will magically pop up and get regged. These can't grow and grow and grow like a .com. It's really silly to compare them to a .com thinking they'll be just as known.

And you're making the same mistake other new people are making. Regging names you can get in a .com. If it's available in a .com, what does that tell you? You just regged a name that has no demand. You try to sell it to somebody, somebody can just get the .com. Does that seem like a smart investment?

Last edited:
•••
It seems like everybody that joined the forum on Feb 2014 thinks that. Extensions with a few thousand regs, will be just as known as the one with 112,000,000+ and growing.

If people cannot find a good generic name in these new extensions, they will default to .com which is why the numbers for .com will not reduce in the near future. But if a good generic name is available in these new extensions, like nano.technology, or homebuying.tips (even at a small premium), I think people will choose it for their businesses instead of going for a longer and more convoluted name in .com. And it only takes a few popular sites in a TLD to start getting some type in traffic for all the aftermarket domain names :)

•••
If people cannot find a good generic name in these new extensions, they will default to .com which is why the numbers for .com will not reduce in the near future. But if a good generic name is available in these new extensions, like nano.technology, or homebuying.tips (even at a small premium), I think people will choose it for their businesses instead of going for a longer and more convoluted name in .com. And it only takes a few popular sites in a TLD to start getting some type in traffic for all the aftermarket domain names :)

This seems to be the thought of some, not realizing the enormous cost involved to educate the public about new brands. New companies may be able to afford registration fees for these new extensions but few to none will have the budget to market them.

•••
This seems to be the thought of some, not realizing the enormous cost involved to educate the public about new brands. New companies may be able to afford registration fees for these new extensions but few to none will have the budget to market them.

You forget the power of Google B-)

•••
You forget the power of Google B-)

If it were that easy, Overstock.com wouldn't have abandoned the O.co campaign. They spent millions on promotion and it still failed :O

•••

The last part in bold is absolutely absurd. Anyone hoping for substantive consumer type-in traffic on a new tld would do better to retry the science of alchemy.

---------- Post added at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 AM ----------

If it were that easy, Overstock.com wouldn't have abandoned the O.co campaign. They spent millions on promotion and it still failed :O

How is this response disproving the power of SEO or SEM? O.co is an example of replacing a meaningful word with a single letter that is already branded in the US by a talk show personality, and hoping that the public will embrace the new branding without having any negative impact on sales. It didn't make one bit of sense to do what they did, offered nothing new to consumers except saving a few keystrokes.

---------- Post added at 04:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 AM ----------

Is .biz, .pro, .travel or .mobi just as known as .com? They have already been around for 5-10 years so your theory has already been disproven and the introduction of a thousand more will simply dilute the opportunity for recognition individually. At best what can be said is that in 5-10 years the public (in the US at least) will be exposed to and more aware of non-com tlds.

Why settle for dogfoodguru.com when I can have dogfood.guru?

Developing these sites will take me many years. I am not saying I will be doing this quickly.
frankly I wouldn't want either for a dog food business but that is just me.

Why do people think .com must lose in order for something else to gain? Way too much zero sum thinking going on in threads like these.

•••
How is this response disproving the power of SEO or SEM?

It's not.

Point being, you can't create a successful brand/company based solely on your google ranking. There is much more involved to gain mass awareness.

•••
It's not.

Point being, you can't create a successful brand/company based solely on your google ranking. There is much more involved to gain mass awareness.

Define successful? Earning 6-7 figures via seo and sem is done often. That isn't on the scale of Apple or Starbucks but so what?

•••
Define successful? Earning 6-7 figures via seo and sem is done often. That isn't on the scale of Apple or Starbucks but so what?

Successful...being able to sustain your business through profitability.

It's done all the time, I get it. How often does success happen with .com vs anything else? Just looking around on a daily basis, there are very few adverts for businesses using alternate extensions. Doesn't mean they don't exist, I don't see them though.

•••
These new extensions will never get any type in traffic.. it's hard enough to get type ins on .net and .org...

•••
Good point. But a lot that might be due to the fact that .net .org mean nothing for the most part. Today I registered dogtreat.recipes

It would be silly to type in dogtreatsrecipes.org but it would makes sense to type in dogtreat.recipes

It will obviously take a while for the general public to figure this out.

As we rolled out new extensions before it hAs been very slowly so nothing really picked up traction. There are going to be so many of these people are bound to start picking up on them.

Just my thoughts.

These new extensions will never get any type in traffic.. it's hard enough to get type ins on .net and .org...

•••
Good point. But a lot that might be due to the fact that .net .org mean nothing for the most part. Today I registered dogtreat.recipes
Wow, so .org means nothing? Right. Either way, good luck building your empire on dogtreat.recipes without having the old lady earn your bread and butter selling raspberry jam jar cozies on Etsy. Oh yeah, and it's Etsy DOT COM

•••

It would be silly to type in dogtreatsrecipes.org but it would makes sense to type in dogtreat.recipes

It will obviously take a while for the general public to figure this out.

As we rolled out new extensions before it hAs been very slowly so nothing really picked up traction. There are going to be so many of these people are bound to start picking up on them.

Just my thoughts.

You are going to be sorely disappointed. I wouldn't type in either, I'd use a search engine

•••
And who is responsible for these tag lines?

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

.priceless

•••
That is good news for me. I could get dogtreat.recipes to rank better and faster than any of the .com, .info or .nets

I don't really see what the problem is.

You are going to be sorely disappointed. I wouldn't type in either, I'd use a search engine

•••
That is good news for me. I could get dogtreat.recipes to rank better and faster than any of the .com, .info or .nets

That remains to be proven, but I wish you well with it. Keep in mind that these conversations are coming from different perspectives, you're talking about a successful website and speculators are talking about a successful domain investment. Two very different things

•••
Very true. Thank you.

I will be working on dogfood.guru and will be testing my theory. I encourage everyone to follow along if you are interested.

I really don't know the first thing about domain investing. Never really saw the point in buying a domain and just sitting on it. But some people are really good at it. Just not my thing.

That remains to be proven, but I wish you well with it. Keep in mind that these conversations are coming from different perspectives, you're talking about a successful website and speculators are talking about a successful domain investment. Two very different things

•••

I don't really see what the problem is.

That is simply not true.

Google has already released a statement saying that is not true.

From Matt Cutts @ Google -

I read a post by someone offering new top-level domain (TLDs). They made this claim: "Will a new TLD web address automatically be favoured by Google over a .com equivalent? Quite simply, yes it will."

Sorry, but that's just not true, and as an engineer in the search quality team at Google, I feel the need to debunk this misconception. Google has a lot of experience in returning relevant web pages, regardless of the top-level domain (TLD). Google will attempt to rank new TLDs appropriately, but I don't expect a new TLD to get any kind of initial preference over .com, and I wouldn't bet on that happening in the long-term either. If you want to register an entirely new TLD for other reasons, that's your choice, but you shouldn't register a TLD in the mistaken belief that you'll get some sort of boost in search engine rankings.

•••
Good Point. Google isn't treating them any better but....

We all know that dogtreatrecipes.com is going to rank better than SomethingElseWhatever.com. Just due to the fact that the anchor text of those incoming links are going to contain the keywords in which we want to rank for.

Since I don't want to pay thousands for the domain dogtreatrecipes.com I will settle for DogTreats.Recipes and get the same exact benefit as I would with DogTreatRecipes.com

The value is coming in having nothing but keywords in your domain. Forget having .com it is meaningless.

When people link to dogtreat.recipes they are doing to link with the anchor text Dog Treat Recipes. Bingo! Thus I am going to rank faster and better than some weird long tail domain you come up with.

With a couple days of ad income I pay for my yearly registrations fees and I am good to go.
That is simply not true.

Google has already released a statement saying that is not true.

From Matt Cutts @ Google -

•••

We all know that dogtreatrecipes.com is going to rank better than SomethingElseWhatever.com. Just due to the fact that the anchor text of those incoming links are going to contain the keywords in which we want to rank for.

Since I don't want to pay thousands for the domain dogtreatrecipes.com I will settle for DogTreats.Recipes and get the same exact benefit as I would with DogTreatRecipes.com

The value is coming in having nothing but keywords in your domain. Forget having .com it is meaningless.

When people link to dogtreat.recipes they are doing to link with the anchor text Dog Treat Recipes. Bingo! Thus I am going to rank faster and better than some weird long tail domain you come up with.

With a couple days of ad income I pay for my yearly registrations fees and I am good to go.

I completely agree. Google will be the biggest indirect evangelist of the new TLDs.

And its not just the anchor text. Exact keyword match domains have always been given a preference in ranking be it dogtreat.recipes or dogtreatrecipes.com, unless the content is so bad that it causes a very high bounce rate and/or a very low click through rate.

•••
The term exact match domain has been taken to a whole new level.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Let me pose this question. Which domain would you guys rather have?

DogTraining.com - in its own right a valuable domain.
DogTrainingTips.com - Alright domain.
DogTraining.tips

Lets look at each domain.

DogTraining.com - Dog Training is searched 33k times a month. GREAT Domain.
DogTrainingTips.com - This domain adds a keyword but extends the length of the domain. Dog Training Tips is searched 6,600 times a month. You get the keyword Dog Training and Dog Training Tips.
DogTraining.Tips - This domain is awesome. You get Dog Training as a main keyword. You also get Dog Training Tips. People are doing to link to use using Dog Training Tips. You get a shorter domain than DogTrainingTips.com. What more is there to want?

•••
Alternate extensions have been around for so long, and if they were any good for SEO purposes - then everybody would know and they would be more popular.

For SEO, you can have a crap domain actually and get it ranked fine, but when it comes to branding the rules are completely different.
The whole domain matters - both to the left and the right of the dot.

•••
dogtreat.recipes .

You own a puppy mill or pet shop?

There nothing wrong with being an 'enduser' and dabbling with the new extensions in the field of your expertise

But I wouldn't want to hold catfood.guru and reseller holdout for a guy that into catfood.

Domainer Development is now over rated

Goodluck

•••

Keeping an open mind, the anchor text aspect is actually compelling

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back