IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Well it appears as though it's happening. The launch of .land, .bike, .this, and .that is here and many more to come.

Show off your new .whatevers here and discuss why these are or are not good investments. Keep it cool, calm, and productive :)

I'll start with my new regs... absolutely none!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Also keep in mind, the people who are usually wanting to develop, are going into markets that are already highly competitive. Take dog treat recipes

You're going to have to beat major recipe sites. There are many good ones out there. You have Animal Planet, Martha Stewart hanging out on page 1 as well. These are authority type sites, many links in, good SEO, social participation etc. You really need to do something great, bring your A game, can you put up a top 10 caliber page on the subject? I think that's why a lot of people get frustrated with making sites and then not making money.

•••
Has it even been mentioned that folks type in .com out of habit? Building a brand on these knockoffs is more than an uphill battle!

•••
Has it even been mentioned that folks type in .com out of habit? Building a brand on these knockoffs is more than an uphill battle!

Yep, that was a problem with his:

DogTraining.com - in its own right a valuable domain.
DogTrainingTips.com - Alright domain.
DogTraining.tips

example

It's really only thinking about Google/internet traffic. Offline marketing would be a challenge for these. It's why I like .com, it's the most versatile. Somebody hears dogtraining.tips, a lot of them will go to the .com.

Also, there were 40 names listed and when speaking of development - "a lot of them"

Most of these are major terms, hamsters, specific dog breeds etc. When I hear "a lot of them", it reads like these won't be major sites with great content. Reads like I'm going to spit something out. It's something you need to put some real time into to compete.

Last edited:
•••
Somebody hears dogtraining.tips, a lot of them will go to the .com.

You aren't kidding. We're creatures of habit and in the internet world, .com is the habit.

•••
Just registered treatwilliams.dogrecipes and waiting for the URS filing because I'm such a drama wh*re.

•••
What is the purpose of a post like this? It adds 0 value to an otherwise productive conversation.

Just registered treatwilliams.dogrecipes and waiting for the URS filing because I'm such a drama wh*re.

•••

That's an American perspective, different story in other countries and without a doubt is changing even here in the US. This facet of the debate assumes customers are typing the url at all

•••
That's an American perspective, different story in other countries and without a doubt is changing even here in the US. This facet of the debate assumes customers are typing the url at all

Social media is contributing. Just today mom.me came up on my Facebook wall. Literally minutes after I posted that I never see alternative adverts.

However, these occurrences are scarce. It could be a decade before these knockoffs take hold, if at all. For a brand to take hold now will require a domain, solid biz plan, and lots of money.

•••
Half the time even when I know what website I want to go to I still use Google to visit the site. Especially if the page I want to visit is deep within the actual site.

•••
But if a good generic name is available in these new extensions, like nano.technology, or homebuying.tips (even at a small premium), I think people will choose it for their businesses instead of going for a longer and more convoluted name in .com.

Anybody spending money to build a business on nano.technology without ALSO owning Nanotechnology.com would be facing a permanent uphill battle. They'd be throwing away extra marketing dollars for years and years to compensate. And they'd always have to explain their web address and differentiate it from the other guy -- who will most likely be a business competitor, and who will certainly be a competitor in search results.

Face it: In 2013, you could have branded your business "Poodle Guru" with just one domain for $9. Now in 2014, if you aim for that "Guru" keyword, you will need to brand your business using 2 domains for $25 + $9.

This isn't new freedom. It's a new tax.

•••
Poodle.guru is so much more appealing to me than PoodleGuru.com

Why would someone register PoodleGuru.com when you can register Poodle.guru ???

Why own:

DogTraining.com when you can own Dog.Training?
DogTrainingTIps.com when you can own DogTraining.Tips
DogFood.com when you can own Dog.Food
PetCare.com when you can own Pet.Care

etc....

Just think how much those .com's would cost as well.

It sounds like everyone keeps going back to type in traffic. I have been asking around today and hardly anyone I know actually types urls into the address bar. Most normal users simply type what they need into google.

Anybody spending money to build a business on nano.technology without ALSO owning Nanotechnology.com would be facing a permanent uphill battle. They'd be throwing away extra marketing dollars for years and years to compensate. And they'd always have to explain their web address and differentiate it from the other guy -- who will most likely be a business competitor, and who will certainly be a competitor in search results.

Face it: In 2013, you could have branded your business "Poodle Guru" with just one domain for $9. Now in 2014, if you aim for that "Guru" keyword, you will need to brand your business using 2 domains for $25 + $9.

This isn't new freedom. It's a new tax.

•••
Why would someone register PoodleGuru.com when you can register Poodle.guru ??.

Because everybody knows .com. When people go on the internet everyday, it's most likely to many .com sites. There really isn't a better new extension for poodle than guru? Why would you register either of those names.

•••
As of right now there isn't a better extension. Will there be? Yes.

Poodles.dog
Poodles.pet
Poodle.care
Poodle.blog

all of which I would rather have than Poodle.com

etc...

Everyone knows .com now. There are going to be HUNDREDS of these new strings. Over a THOUSAND of them. 5-10 years from .com will not be as known as it is right now.

Again that is just my opinion.. but like they say opinions are like... nevermind. ;)

Because everybody knows .com. When people go on the internet everyday, it's most likely to many .com sites. There really isn't a better new extension for poodle than guru? Why would you register either of those names.

•••
Everyone knows .com now. There are going to be HUNDREDS of these new strings. Over a THOUSAND of them. 5-10 years from .com will not be as known as it is right now.

You literally keep saying crazy stuff. 5-10 years from now, what, all the sites on .com will disappear? Hundreds of what? Niche extensions with low regs?

I think this sums it up the best:

Poodles.dog
Poodles.pet
Poodle.care
Poodle.blog

That you would pick those over Poodle.com backs up what I just posted, crazy.

Last edited:
•••

Poodles.dog
Poodles.pet
Poodle.care
Poodle.blog

Do you happen to own any high quality .COM you are looking to sell?

Brad

•••

Has it ever been mentioned that this is repeated by domainers usually without even a spec of evidence other than some failed o.co experiment? I've been to a lot of meetings where people access sites. When they know the site they type it in directly - the brain can memorize quite a few sites. For everything else? Search engine and select. You know what they never enter into a search bar? .com

I don't search for "boobs .com" just "boobs" :) I bet you search for "marijuana news" or "pot news" not "pot news .com"

But America is all that matters when you're living in 'murica :)

Social media is contributing. Just today mom.me came up on my Facebook wall. Literally minutes after I posted that I never see alternative adverts.
Maybe most sites that are on non .com don't need to advertise on your Facebook wall?

I use join.me all the time. I've never typed in joinme.com, and nor has anyone I've asked to go to "join dot me". I don't think google has a hard time getting people to go to google.fr, google.es etc. either :) I also don't think about.me are having too many problems getting traction either.

Try using a google non .com and see if the results change, it can be quite eye opening to see how many cctld results there are :)

However, these occurrences are scarce. It could be a decade before these knockoffs take hold, if at all. For a brand to take hold now will require a domain, solid biz plan, and lots of money.
Knock-offs? It's not a copy, it's completely separate and different. Say it is a decade? I hope you come back and say - all those people in 2014 had it so easy.. they could have registered anything... I wish I was there... oh I was.. :)

But seriously, I don't think it's a good "investment" but I think the arguments of .com meaning something just sound old and tired. People were "used" to reading a book... people would always smoke... pot would always be illegal... gays would never be allowed to marry... .com will always be the only thing people use :)

•••
But America is all that matters when you're living in 'murica :)

Unfortunately I see that bias a lot. Folks all over the world work with their ccTLDs every day, and here in the USA I visit .com, .net, .org, .gov, .edu and .mobi sites on a regular basis.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be implying that a .com domain is somehow immune to this requirement. I have nothing against .com, I own many, just trying to understand the reasoning being presented from all sides of this debate

•••
Anybody spending money to build a business on nano.technology without ALSO owning Nanotechnology.com would be facing a permanent uphill battle.

Google does not differentiate between the two in its ranking algorithms. I'd say if you own a domain name like nano.technology, hold on to it!

It's strange, really. A domain name like tire.guru sells for $5,250 and a name like nano.technology sells for $1,425 D-:

They'd be throwing away extra marketing dollars for years and years to compensate. And they'd always have to explain their web address and differentiate it from the other guy -- who will most likely be a business competitor, and who will certainly be a competitor in search results.

I don't think people are that obtuse.

•••
Yes that makes sense. The 110 million .com already registered are going to be buried under a deluge of new extensions, like .guru which is the most successful so far and has a staggering 40K regs :|

Has it ever been mentioned that this is repeated by domainers usually without even a spec of evidence other than some failed o.co experiment? I've been to a lot of meetings where people access sites. When they know the site they type it in directly - the brain can memorize quite a few sites. For everything else? Search engine and select. You know what they never enter into a search bar? .com
There will always be type-in, as long as there are businesses advertising their URLs.

Today people are typing in .com (or a ccTLD) in the URL bar when they know exactly where they want to go. I don't think that many are typing in .guru now.

SEO is not the problem, any extension can rank in the search engines. But if end users don't prominently advertise their URLs with new extensions, they will remain gadgets.
Of course it's a catch-22 situation. Somebody has to get the ball rolling, but without the first mover advantage.

•••
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be implying that a .com domain is somehow immune to this requirement. I have nothing against .com, I own many, just trying to understand the reasoning being presented from all sides of this debate

For most reading this, the investment in the domain itself is as far as it goes. Dot com is far and away the best choice for these types.

2 businesses, babycare.com and baby.care launch at the same time. The .com would fair much better with the same monetary investment into both. People would see an advert for baby.care and many would type babycare.com out of habit. This may change over an extended period but the near future is all that matters for most.

•••
For most reading this, the investment in the domain itself is as far as it goes. Dot com is far and away the best choice for these types.

2 businesses, babycare.com and baby.care launch at the same time. The .com would fair much better with the same monetary investment into both. People would see an advert for baby.care and many would type babycare.com out of habit. This may change over an extended period but the near future is all that matters for most.

The choice that most new businesses will have, at this time, is between fabulousbabycareadvice.com and baby.care or perhaps greatbaby.care.

•••

But the two businesses don't have the same costs when you look at the domain acquisition costs, especially for top keywords. A lot of my .mobi domains would be high 6 to 7 figures USD in com, I simply don't have that kind of cash sitting around. I'm not making the argument they are just as good, but the keyword value is still there at a far reduced cost. People with deeper pockets always can play a different game, but the rest of us can either whine about our lack of funds or get creative and try some other things.

•••
Businesses have a number of options, like going for a brandable domain. Especially when they become big they they will want something more unique.
The other obvious option (outside the US) is the ccTLD.
That is assuming they don't want to purchase a domain on the aftermarket. But the so-called scarcity of domains is not so bad that end users are desperate and willing to put their businesses on unproven strings. Focusing solely on SEO is development with blinders on.

Of course, the new extensions are geared toward NEW businesses, those that don't already have a website and a domain name. I mean that's the official version, I think they are actually more geared toward speculators and TM holders ;)
But I think new businesses are going to put themselves at a disadvantage. When I'm setting up a new company, I prefer to build some credibility by getting a better domain than my competitors. Using a .whatever is a telltale sign that you've not been in business for long and you don't have a track record.
There are a lot of hidden costs to not choosing the right URL.

•••
But the two businesses don't have the same costs when you look at the domain acquisition costs, especially for top keywords.

This is true. If your budget for start-up isn't beyond a $10 registration fee, you have bigger problems than your choice of domain.

We talk of business but let's be real. The majority of all new registrations are for speculation purposes. This is a scary thought!

•••

I do wonder how babycare.co.uk could ever survive.
Evidence for people typing .com out of habit even when presented with the actual name of baby.care can be found where?

I assume .net .org are also immune? People only fuck up when presented with a new gtld ? And only in America?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back