NameSilo

"The King is full of it"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Charley said:
I like Scott Day better.

Thats the WaterMelon Man right ? - Do you have any links to articles about him I could read ?

•••
gazzip said:
Thats the WaterMelon Man right ? - Do you have any links to articles about him I could read ?

Check out his website.

www.digimedia.com

Scott Day, a watermelon farmer from Waurika, OK, discovered domain names in 1997 when he bought watermelons.com for $3000. Today, he holds one of the most admired portfolios in the business

•••
•••
Reece said:
I love what he did with Ever.com

Ok, I have to give him credit. That's the first project of Rick's in 10 years that I've seen which is REAL and actually impresses me.

That's pretty cool! I'm surprised!

•••
-db- said:
Ok, I have to give him credit. That's the first project of Rick's in 10 years that I've seen which is REAL and actually impresses me.

That's pretty cool! I'm surprised!

Yes, but unfortunately, I think you have got your wire crossed so ever this epic effort is not attributable to the King.

•••
Ha!

Never mind.

Too perfect, right? Geez.... should have known better. :|

•••
Yeah lol :]

I think the most Rick is capable of development wise is making a pretty parking page -- I'll give him credit where credit is due. :music:

-db- said:
Ha!

Never mind.

Too perfect, right? Geez.... should have known better. :|

•••
From DN Journal

Prior to the conference T.R.A.F.F.I.C. co-founder Rick Schwartz said he would be telling attendees about a revolutionary new product that he expects to be the "next big thing". That was unveiled right after lunch and the product - dubbed Vertisi - did indeed appear to be a show stopper. Vertisi allows you to lay a piece of film over any piece of glass and that layer of film becomes an interactive touch sensitive display that can be used for anything from store displays to public Internet access available from any surface the film is applied to. A projection unit casts the interactive image on the film. Schwartz has bought 10% of the company and has an option on another 13%. The live demo of Vertisi pulled a shoulder to shoulder capacity crowd into the conference room where it was unveiled.

•••
Yes, but Rick's last big thing was dot Mobi.

He was clearly overdue for a replacement when you look at the way they bombed last night!

•••
Aren't there already like 10 companies out there with similar products?

eg. http://www.eink.com/technology/index.html

equity78 said:
From DN Journal

Prior to the conference T.R.A.F.F.I.C. co-founder Rick Schwartz said he would be telling attendees about a revolutionary new product that he expects to be the "next big thing". That was unveiled right after lunch and the product - dubbed Vertisi - did indeed appear to be a show stopper. Vertisi allows you to lay a piece of film over any piece of glass and that layer of film becomes an interactive touch sensitive display that can be used for anything from store displays to public Internet access available from any surface the film is applied to. A projection unit casts the interactive image on the film. Schwartz has bought 10% of the company and has an option on another 13%. The live demo of Vertisi pulled a shoulder to shoulder capacity crowd into the conference room where it was unveiled.

•••
•••
Reece said:
Aren't there already like 10 companies out there with similar products?

eg. http://www.eink.com/technology/index.html

And what marketing they have ....

look here at the original commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No1MxAnHuJM

And look here is Vertisi's: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-922864222451467357

Personally I found many similarities :) Please watch both videos. Also I couldn't find any TM for Vertisi. What is most bugging is that I would be very very pissed off to pay such a high fee to participate at a conference about domain names, and be presented all sorts of crap.

PS: Just a note about the two videos. (Apple's and Vertisi's). They say think different. Now guess which one was the first one ...

•••
rofl!

Comparing to Einstein... That's so Rick : omfgwtfrick: (we definitely need an emote for that now!)

Seriously lol... I've been following OLED, E-INK, and several other technologies for about 3 years now and this is NOTHING NEW. The underlying technology has been available for years now and Rick passing it off as something new just goes to show how far he's fallen behind the times.

edit: Or how low his morals really are, or how badly he wishes to entertain. Saying you invested in a company that does the same thing as 10 other ones just doesn't sounds as special :laugh:

Alex said:

look here at the original commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No1MxAnHuJM

And look here is Vertisi's: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-922864222451467357

Personally I found many similarities :) Please watch both videos. Also I couldn't find any TM for Vertisi. What is most bugging is that I would be very very pissed off to pay such a high fee to participate at a conference about domain names, and be presented all sorts of crap.

•••
Reece said:
rofl!

Comparing to Einstein... That's so Rick : omfgwtfrick: (we definitely need an emote for that now!)

Seriously lol... I've been following OLED, E-INK, and several other technologies for about 3 years now and this is NOTHING NEW. The underlying technology has been available for years now and Rick passing it off as something new just goes to show how far he's fallen behind the times.

It is more intriguing that he even promotes it at a DOMAIN conference .... it says a lot of things

•••
On that subject did anyone attend the Traffic where Ricks theme was "parking transparency"?. I was curious why absolutely nothing seemed to be offered up. At least I have not heard one thing that has changed.

•••
For that kind of cash people should at least have the right to not be bullshitted or led to believe he's anything more than a follower as of late.

Embarking into OLED 5 years ago -- that would have been entrepreneurial. It's obvious OLED/E-INK/ and related flexible displays/films are the future now. Hardly visionary investing in such technologies today.

Honestly, what has Rick ever done right other than getting into domains early and starting TRAFFIC? He sure talks the talk, but from what I've seen, he really practices very little of what he preaches.

And if he didn't do any research (and this is found by one Wikipedia search on the term OLED or electronic paper folks!) prior to investing a sizeable amount of money into a company... Well, I'm speechless.

Alex said:
It is more intriguing that he even promotes it at a DOMAIN conference .... it says a lot of things

•••
•••
Taken from this interview :

"I probably had a blog before there were blogs."

So does that mean that Rick Schwartz actually invented blogs ? :laugh:

•••
Kings are not very popular these days
They sit and wait to be feed from their fortune and the people

Wait ... isn't this similar with this case too :)

•••
lol my thoughts exactly :)

michaeldotcom said:
Taken from this interview :

"I probably had a blog before there were blogs."

So does that mean that Rick Schwartz actually invented blogs ? :laugh:

dotnom said:
Kings are not very popular these days
They sit and wait to be feed from their fortune and the people

Wait ... isn't this similar with this case too :)

lol I love Namepros - so many like-minded domainers :hearts:

•••
Your ****ing kidding me right!

Tell me you just knocked that up as a wind up.

I don't believe even Rick would have been deluded enough to think people wouldn't notice the difference.

Alex said:

PS: Just a note about the two videos. (Apple's and Vertisi's). They say think different. Now guess which one was the first one ...

•••
Rubber Duck said:
Yes, but Rick's last big thing was dot Mobi.

He was clearly overdue for a replacement when you look at the way they bombed last night!

hey soooo how'd the IDN's do last night?

oops, i forgot, there isnt any in the entire auction.

man, i guess IDN isnt a viable idea since none were even featured in the legendary T.R.A.F.F.I.C. auction.... isnt that how it goes, Duck?

•••
It is a bit different.

Rick has virtually banned discussion on IDN since day one. By constrast he has been one of the biggest promoters of dot Mobi.

We didn't put any up. Waste of bloody time in my opinion. By the time Rick gets it, Rick will be largely irrelevant.

Anyway, Mobi is now ALL about IDN:

http://icann.org/correspondence/harvin-to-twomey-20feb08.pdf

Last edited:
•••
Rubber Duck said:
It is a bit different.

Rick has virtually banned discussion on IDN since day one. By constrast he has been one of the biggest promoters of dot Mobi.

We didn't put any up. Waste of bloody time in my opinion. By the time Rick gets it, Rick will be largely irrelevant.

Anyway, Mobi is now ALL about IDN:

http://icann.org/correspondence/harvin-to-twomey-20feb08.pdf

there is no difference.

one is favored over the other for some reason... to draw any conclusions at all from this would be silly.

yup, .mobi will be offering IDN registrations soon.... but if you really want to be cool, you will buy my domain that is currently in the silent auction: IDN.mobi :laugh:

•••
mjnels said:
there is no difference.

one is favored over the other for some reason... to draw any conclusions at all from this would be silly.

yup, .mobi will be offering IDN registrations soon.... but if you really want to be cool, you will buy my domain that is currently in the silent auction: IDN.mobi :laugh:

The basic problem is that Rick in common with a lot of Americans sees no merit in other people communicating in their own languages and believes that it would just be much simpler for everyone else to speak English. IDNs therefore have no value.

How can one argue with logic like that!

The problem is that there are always opposite opinions out there and no amount of logical argument will influence some people. At the end of the day people are either right in their judgements or they are not. I wish you well with your investments but rather fear you are going to need it.

Personally, I am very concerned about the way certain genres of domains are hyped by those with vested interests. I look at the promotion of IDN differently. I regard it as an education process, but of course there is always the risk that the Chinese will never understand why their government is trying to force them to use web addresses in their own language. And of course if that is the case then I will also be viewed as guilty of pumping domains. I think on balance, however, that is a risk that I am prepared to take.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back