IT.COM

"The King is full of it"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
He took his list down apparently for all his domains.
Well here they all are:

LINK

I'm a rep hungry mule. Feed me! :hehe: :sold:

•••
The basic problem is that Rick in common with a lot of Americans sees no merit in other people communicating in their own languages and believes that it would just be much simpler for everyone else to speak English. IDNs therefore have no value.

How can one argue with logic like that!

The problem is that there are always opposite opinions out there and no amount of logical argument will influence some people. At the end of the day people are either right in their judgements or they are not. I wish you well with your investments but rather fear you are going to need it.

Personally, I am very concerned about the way certain genres of domains are hyped by those with vested interests. I look at the promotion of IDN differently. I regard it as an education process, but of course there is always the risk that the Chinese will never understand why their government is trying to force them to use web addresses in their own language. And of course if that is the case then I will also be viewed as guilty of pumping domains. I think on balance, however, that is a risk that I am prepared to take.

First off Duck you can speak about Rick because he has rebuffed you, but don't say most. Your Anti-American digs that are so common in a lot of your posts are really non sense. I believe in IDN but I do not own any, why ? because you cannot own everything and be involved in everything. I see them as no threat and they will grow and do well,there is room for everyone on the net IMO.

Secondly you promote your vested interest too you are not an educator. You are not Aristotle you are a Domainer with a vested interest in IDN who trys to spread it everywhere even in threads that have nothing to do with IDN. Spin it anyway you like you are nothing more than a promoter of your agenda. Again IMO

•••
Compete.com tends to produce much more accurate results from what I've seen.

Alexa has been reasonably accurate in my experience when comparing sites from the exact same market segment (eg. domain blog compared to other domain focussed websites), but makes no sense whatsoever when you start comparing different markets (eg. newspaper versus domain blog). My blog is apparently "according to Alexa" more popular than the local newspaper where I live which is read by 400k+ people per day -- I find that very hard to believe.

•••
Hype and the big picture

No,

this is really about our obsessions with Rick.

We all need that big star so we can point it out in the sky.

Just the fact that we want to punish someone, (Rick) for "hyping" his marketing. Why not Ron at Dnj, he prints this stuff, not just once but you would think others like Reece, Rubberduck or any of the many many pioneers who see the new markets emerge before others would get some play in domain news. We don't want to say Ron or others are hyping as much as Rick because everyone likes a nice guy. Maybe the hype does not come thru the media, but printing it can be just as bad. Since Rick is outspoken and calls it like it is some like to rock his boat.

Take the angry domainer for instance. If someone attacks you personally they are chicken shit if they do so by hiding in the dark. I know what Rick would say about him, just from reading what he has said over the years. He would probably call the angry domainer a wantabe who hides his face. His words might be a bit more colorful than mine though.

Why does the angry domainer distort stuff too?. Rick does have more traffic than most on the internet!. I did not hear the angry domainer say anthing about that. Probably Rick said this at that moment in time he was the domain king as regards to the amount of traffic his portfolio generated. That is what Rick stated when he said the words, his domains have huge traffic.

If Rick does not have the most traffic on the net at this time, he is still a legend and is still the domain king. His hard work and his huge presence makes him the king. Don't downplay that, even if every single person who is into domains got a email saying Ricks pages are nothing more than sponsored ads, he will still be called the domain king. That will never go away folks.

Sure the statements may not be true today and his so called developed properties are nothing more than sponsored ads but he does not have a monopoly on hype as some very large domain businesses have hype splashed all over their home page too.

Now if the angry domainer wants to say Ricks pages are nothing more than parked pages that is fine and mostly true. At the same time he may have many domains developed. I do not know, maybe he is developing some.

To say he is not the king and should not be calling himself the king is more of a personal attack. Ask most domainers or the media "who is the domain king" and Rick S. name will come to the floor. That is what you call a legend. Does the angry domainer have that? Nope, he is a no name, a shadow in the dark. You cannot have a dialogue with a shadow. Also usually those who operate in the dark are up to something.

Why does the angry domainer not attack certain industry auction houses who make the same kind of bullshit claims?

I will tell you why. The angry domainer is a jealous boy who is only fixated on Rick S. He does not give a crap if big distortions are everywhere in this business. He just likes being a bully and he dislilkes open confrontation.

I liked his video, although he overstates much. On the same hand he says alot that is truthful. Hey angry domainer.. go to most home pages of big domain businesses such as Godadd- After--- traff- and you can see the same hype. Its only after a person has been in this business a while that we see some of their claims in the same light as some of Ricks claims.. hype.

Sure its funny Rick has got away with these empty pages for so long. If we did not read about his big plans over and over again in domain news most of us would not have taken it for truth for so long anyway. Angry domainer you have tunnel vision. You have some good points, but your focus is not on the big picture. With parking the way it is I am sure you can keep the put downs going forever. We want someone to blame for low ppc and low conversions, so if we can blame one person, domainers will think you are saying what needs to be said.

After a while we will get bored if the focus is solely on Rick.

Last edited:
•••
Ok, you're right Paul and I haven't said or posted anything pro or con about .mobi, but we are posting "..drivel .Mobi Agenda". While perfect you, posting condesending off topic remarks on .Mobi, 'is keeping things on topic'. ...ohh..kay.

...and you consider yourself constructive here huh??

•••
gazzip said:
Thats the WaterMelon Man right ? - Do you have any links to articles about him I could read ?

Check out his website.

www.digimedia.com

Scott Day, a watermelon farmer from Waurika, OK, discovered domain names in 1997 when he bought watermelons.com for $3000. Today, he holds one of the most admired portfolios in the business

•••
Yeah lol :]

I think the most Rick is capable of development wise is making a pretty parking page -- I'll give him credit where credit is due. :music:

-db- said:
Ha!

Never mind.

Too perfect, right? Geez.... should have known better. :|

•••
people like to have strong/extreme opinions on popular topics.. its sexy.

it just takes a certain type of personality....

•••
Rick S, 'the King' of domains?

(i) He got into .com early - got some good names - and got some pretty ordinary names, as well....Right place, right time - Smart enough to see it - Ballsy enough to go for it, at the time - and, got lucky, too.

(ii) He apparently makes/made a lot of money in the good years from a parking strategy....Good business move, at the time, with what he had, and what options were available....Paid off for him....Keeps him in the cruise suites, and off the 'gotta work for a living' roster.

(iii) He's had some terrific high-price sales - with massive profit....Made possible by the same 'Sales Hype' syndrome, that pisses off so many domainers.

(iv) He was instrumental in starting TRAFFIC - The domain industry needed something like that, at the time....Probably vital for his Attention Deficit condition, too.

(v) He had a blog for awhile....Variable quality. Not Einstein above the shoulders.

(vi) He likes outsize suites on cruise ships....Who cares? But it turns his crank.

(vi) He likes to air his opinions - just like every poster on every Forum, everywhere.....His opinions are good, bad, awful, and plain loopy, in turns.

Is he 'king' of the domain world to me?

Nah....Just a domain player that's done very well financially, and likes to tell us about it....A player who would like to one day be known for picking a new next 'big thing' - and who has an 'interesting' taste in shirts...

...Not the 'king' of anything....Just one of the many 'colourful' characters around the domain traps, is all...

•••
Very appropriate. Both very unhealthy, as if you listen too much he will clog up your cashflow arteries with a lot of toxic junk!

Reece said:
Okay, back on topic, I found a crown only suitable for a Domain King:

The Crown of the Domain KING :guilty:

•••
i have no opinion of the guy either but i did find that pretty funny.
I wonder why candy.com isnt developed though

•••
•••
And you can even Embed the YouTube page on your own site for content!

Nice find Sully!!

•••
Well, he sells the picks & shovels.... to people who will mine the gold... I'm not a developer but I think many of my names will be goldmines for those that develop them; they will increase their value by many multiples but it will take them time & money... I'm happy to sell the picks & shovels to be honest.

Funny video though.... very dry humour ;)

•••
When was this video made? :o

Candy.com now redirects me to HersheyGifts.com

•••
Funny humor, great idea for developing a following. Be interesting to see the response video, if one shows up.

•••
•••
Amusing, but there are better subject matters to Video Blog about.

•••
Video makes a good point.

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with idolizing someone who squandered a potentially massive fortune and epic domain portfolio on something as foolish as his own ego.

•••
And AngryDomainer.com and TheAngryDomainer.com were registered today...hmmmm...

•••
lzy said:
When was this video made? :o

Yesterday, maybe Rick has a "potential" buyer on the way ???

Last edited:
•••
lzy said:

I think he must have leased it to them.

•••
•••
That was funny, such great names but all just parked and it is a waste.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back