IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch

McDuke

Top Member
Impact
Tired of annoying web extensions?

Wish it was a .com only world?

Feeling negative, cynical, grumpy, or you just want to join the fun?

Well here is the place for you.

The I Hate gTLD's Thread

pitchforks-torches-mob.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Only one case but what one can probably expect from most new TLDs - StockMarket.guru sells for $155 at Flippa while the .COM is for sale for 5 million euros at SEDO. At Godaddy .GURU renewals are $28/year and it wouldn't surprise me if this domain was acquired for $XXX. Take out the listing fee & commission and what do you get... But at least the registrant doesn't get stuck paying renewals...
For the sake of argument, "for sale price" (unsold) does not indicate worth. But still the difference is clear as day.

This type of flipping "strategy" is lame IMHO.

•••
ludicrous, what are these people thinking ? The earth is flat and it will and shall be flat ! ;)

So you figure that believing in, and defending your newly reg'd domains is akin to the proposal made that the "Earth is round" way back in time?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkuNpgACH0[/youtube]

It's more like these new gTLD "investors" are proposing that some new gravitational force is at play, which has caused Earth's shape to become triangular.

Now that's ludicrous.

•••
So you figure that believing in, and defending your newly reg'd domains is akin to the proposal made that the "Earth is round" way back in time?

It's more like these new gTLD "investors" are proposing that some new gravitational force is at play, which has caused Earth's shape to become triangular.

Now that's ludicrous.

Don't be scared ! We'll discuss flat - round - triangular in about 5 years from now :)

•••
Don't be scared ! We'll discuss flat - round - triangular in about 5 years from now :)

•••
People are still allowed to hate gTLD's though. :)

420 is a cannabis word as you probably know..are we making glass bongs here? If not it has potential. I like the name. Short and crisp.

I have a 420 dot new gtld waiting for the rollout date to see if i get it.

•••
420 is a cannabis word as you probably know..are we making glass bongs here? If not it has potential. I like the name. Short and crisp.

420 is my fav related term for this industry. So are you saying i shouldnt have my new project in my sig? i didn't follow where your post was coming from.

Last edited:
•••
lol I totally agree, and there is a lot of new extensions coming out :S
they made web.. I would say sort of bad/bigger

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

the only extensions I liked are those like ".com" but in different language letters

•••
Last edited:
•••
StockMarket.guru sells for $155 at Flippa while the .COM is for sale for 5 million euros at SEDO. At Godaddy .GURU renewals are $28/year and it wouldn't surprise me if this domain was acquired for $XXX. Take out the listing fee & commission and what do you get... But at least the registrant doesn't get stuck paying renewals...
That's what the game is about.
High risk, low reward
Domainers are already struggling to make a profit in extensions that are much less risky.

•••

You better wake up to reality, otherwise you might endup like this guy :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MLry6Cn_D4[/youtube]

•••
Free your mind and enlightenment will follow.

tumblr_mvi26rMzbi1qg39ewo1_500.gif

well f.

I guess there is some new language i just don't understand. :)

•••

:talk:

bud has been in use, since B.C.

and nobody I know, will be asking for a bag of 420

puff, puff, snort

imo...

•••
:talk:

bud has been in use, since B.C.

and nobody I know, will be asking for a bag of 420

puff, puff, snort

imo...

420 works best for business names, some countrys like Netherlands for example only allow subtle terms like 420 on signs.

The terms bud, weed, pot, marijuana, cannabis are not allowed in advertizing there. :)

Now off this topic and back to gtld hating!

Last edited:
•••
A concise alphabetical index of participating nTLD registrars can be found at ben.dover and take.it

(Apologies to our fine amicis at .it)

•••
Great example today of the challenges which new TLD registrants will face. I have a 9-character .COM which I have held for about seven years. I can see from SEDO a couple of offer page views so someone in the last few weeks had some interest in acquiring the domain but just didn't want to pay the high $XXX price I had it listed for (upped the price so they have to negotiate with me directly now). So today I get an email inquiring about this domain from an apparent end user with a business name which includes the keyword of my domain. Their amazing offer - a whopping $50 :) Even though I don't normally get into intense bidding wars on Namejet, I have more invested in this domain than their offer. Imagine the plight of those buying new TLDs with $xx or $XXX annual renewals.

•••
I hate every body!!! I hate my self! and my dog! ...
Now for the subject ;)
I think the new gTLD can change the web for good and it is time for the king (.com) to came down!
viva la revolucion !!

•••
•••
Come on. You guys have to admit ugly.sexy is worth at least billions.

•••
It's Economic, Peeps, Nothing to do With Being a "Hater."

If you want to know why premium gTLDs are a bad idea, read this article by Michael Berkens (The Domains) about why he allowed Bahamas.tv to drop (because of its $500 annual renewal fee).

Instead, he was able to acquire BahamasTV.com for $xx.

Quite compellingly, Berkens says:

I would have loved to keep the .TV domain as well, the [renewal] would have cost me $5K to keep for 10 years and it hurts the resale value of the domain.

Read more...

I believe that many of us who have purchased some premiums will face these issues in March 2015.

I suppose one can take a chance on "regular" renewals, but from a domainer's point of view, the success of the new g's will depend on cost per unit.

Cold hard financials are difficult to dispute.

:alien: :'( :|

Last edited:
•••
Jenifer, it's so true.
Domainers know how to waste money on new registrations, but they don't give enough attention to planning and budgeting for renewals.
As if every domain was going to sell to an end user before renewal time - then it's not your problem anymore :bah:

Renewal fees are crushing when you carry a portfolio, even regular fees.

•••
•••
Now there .EXPERT following .NINJA is there any others coming out to further dilute all those guru regs lol

•••

I have noticed that the blogs are pumping hard now, but I'm not seeing the enthusiasm here any more.

Investors seem to have pulled back. Indeed, my last registration was on April 6, and that was defensive.

I think the light bulb went on for me in late March, after my .email regs.

Things are going to get ugly if the registries get greedy and decide that some of the early registrations will now become super premiums.

I expect this to happen.

It's going to be a bumpy ride, kiddies, with a lot of financial pain.

•••

I have noticed that the blogs are pumping hard now, but I'm not seeing the enthusiasm here any more.

Investors seem to have pulled back. Indeed, my last registration was on April 6, and that was defensive.

I think the light bulb went on for me in late March, after my .email regs.

Things are going to get ugly if the registries get greedy and decide that some of the early registrations will now become super premiums.

I expect this to happen.

It's going to be a bumpy ride, kiddies, with a lot of financial pain.

Wish you bothered to read the ICANN terms / conditions for registries :) So let me correct you, registries cannot change the price of a domain owned already by a registrant to a premium price or classify it as premium. Why do you think it took years to get to this point and the serious money involved by many investors. It's not like ICANN and those involved made this up in a couple of days lol

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Now there .EXPERT following .NINJA is there any others coming out to further dilute all those guru regs lol

Wrong thinking. People now have more choice but above all most end-users will favor a specific one. It's not like an end-user will go through all similar TLDs out of the blue. I personally wouldn't register anything in .ninja but .guru and .expert are imo a great choice.

•••

Well, some registries already reclassifying some reg-fee domains to premiums, at least for pre-orders.

And, suddenly, some registries are allowing bogus registrars to mass register desirable keywords, shell registrars that belong to the registries.

Warehousing at its worst.

This kind of sleight of hand is just the beginning, kiddies.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back