Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

McDuke

Top Member
Impact
Tired of annoying web extensions?

Wish it was a .com only world?

Feeling negative, cynical, grumpy, or you just want to join the fun?

Well here is the place for you.

The I Hate gTLD's Thread

pitchforks-torches-mob.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The last thing I want to do as a developer is to market the stupid extension as much as the name of the company.

"Go with dot com and you can go no wrong"
-David P-

For Joe the plumber that makes perfect sense, but for an online business the entire URL can be the brand especially when dealing with 'keyword.newtld'. But 'brandable.newtld' isn't something I would build on.

•••
TOP SECRET ICANN GTLD GENERATOR -- EXPOSED!!

tumblr_mfg0t6k5Gi1qg39ewo1_500.gif

•••
TOP SECRET ICANN GTLD GENERATOR -- EXPOSED!!

tumblr_mfg0t6k5Gi1qg39ewo1_500.gif

seems you have found a home in this thread
~
Me i am looking forwards to .music

•••
http://lifehacker.com/5982622/why-youre-so-afraid-of-change-and-what-you-can-do-about-it

"Change freaks us out—probably even more than public speaking, but it's the sort of amorphous issue that we don't think about because it manifests itself subtly in so many ways. Whether a relationship starts or ends, you're moving, you've got a new job, or you've lost someone you love, change—whether it's good or bad—causes stress. Here's how it works and how to handle it without losing your mind. "

"Because new information bothers our brains, we tend to find friends and form groups that reinforce our beliefs—whether they're correct or not. When many people agree, it's easy to discount the opinions of others in the face of undeniable logic. This occurs because of a phenomenon known as the illusion of asymmetric insight. David McRaney, writer of the blog and book about self-delusion You Are Not So Smart, explains"

Last edited:
•••
http://lifehacker.com/5982622/why-youre-so-afraid-of-change-and-what-you-can-do-about-it

"Change freaks us out—probably even more than public speaking, but it's the sort of amorphous issue that we don't think about because it manifests itself subtly in so many ways. Whether a relationship starts or ends, you're moving, you've got a new job, or you've lost someone you love, change—whether it's good or bad—causes stress. Here's how it works and how to handle it without losing your mind. "

"Because new information bothers our brains, we tend to find friends and form groups that reinforce our beliefs—whether they're correct or not. When many people agree, it's easy to discount the opinions of others in the face of undeniable logic. This occurs because of a phenomenon known as the illusion of asymmetric insight. David McRaney, writer of the blog and book about self-delusion You Are Not So Smart, explains"
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/foolsgold.asp

"Investopedia explains 'Fool's Gold'

During historical periods of gold rushes, many less-than-knowledgeable miners would frequently believe that they hit the mother lode upon finding a cache of fool's gold. Unfortunately, unlike the real thing, fool's gold is relatively worthless."

•••
It's just nuts what people are paying for these so called premium Donuts registrations. I looked up a few .training domains just to see but one was almost $300 and the other $500. I looked today and the $300 one is gone. I might have snapped it up for $30 but not even close to $300.

Do these people even think that they'll have to pay that or more next year? And possibly that the extension won't even be around next year and you might lose your entire investment. Yikes!

•••
It's just nuts what people are paying for these so called premium Donuts registrations. I looked up a few .training domains just to see but one was almost $300 and the other $500. I looked today and the $300 one is gone. I might have snapped it up for $30 but not even close to $300.

Do these people even think that they'll have to pay that or more next year? And possibly that the extension won't even be around next year and you might lose your entire investment. Yikes!
yeah these new registries are greedy. i've checked out a number of these domains, most of the ones i actually "liked" were reserved and some premium but then i look at the .com's that match them and they aren't developed, haven't sold and are usually owned by domainers....if they haven't been able to sell what change do these domains have to sell? paying 240 a year for a single renewal will result simply in many people not being able to afford to renew them. these domains should really be 10 bucks with nothing held back as reserved.

•••

From what i see most decent names are pre reg'd at 200-500$ or if they go to auction from the basic pre reg fee they are won at 100-300$ + the initial pre reg fee.

of course there are a few beauties that are available for hand reg in the first couple weeks but they don't last long.

Last edited:
•••
Let's not forget what the median sales price of a non-.COM is at SEDO - around $500 or so - less after commission - less after years of renewals. Imagine if your upfront cost is a few hundred and renewals are a whole lot more than .COM renewals, how do you make money? What if you don't sell 100% of these domains and have to drop some? The average portfolio turnover in the industry is 1-2%. The math just doesn't work on these new TLDs unless there is a phenomenal change in end user demand for aftermarket domains. If so, anyone holding decent domains in existing extensions should still do OK - so why take risks that seem to only favor the registrars?

•••
Let's not forget what the median sales price of a non-.COM is at SEDO - around $500 or so - less after commission - less after years of renewals. Imagine if your upfront cost is a few hundred and renewals are a whole lot more than .COM renewals, how do you make money? What if you don't sell 100% of these domains and have to drop some? The average portfolio turnover in the industry is 1-2%. The math just doesn't work on these new TLDs unless there is a phenomenal change in end user demand for aftermarket domains. If so, anyone holding decent domains in existing extensions should still do OK - so why take risks that seem to only favor the registrars?

A huge chunk of registries' revenue is coming from domainers who aren't thinking things through.

It's very easy to get caught up in the hype. Domainer blogs have been obsessed with these new extensions for some time, and the propaganda has been pretty high pitched in 2014.

But that hype is just for domainers. Outside domainer circles, the status quo is pretty much as it ever was. Few businesses care about these new TLDs. They have businesses to run, and they mosstly aren't interested in buying domains period. When a few of them do buy domains, they continue to favor the established extensions they and their audiences use on a daily basis -- as the sales charts show.

Even if consumer behavior begins to shift in 2015 or later, it won't be enough to salvage most domainers' expenses. The public doesn't have the same ravenous appetite for buying domains that domainers have. End user purchases are slow ... too slow to make most of these nTLD domains -- even the good ones -- profitable investments.

•••
A huge chunk of registries' revenue is coming from domainers who aren't thinking things through.

It's very easy to get caught up in the hype. Domainer blogs have been obsessed with these new extensions for some time, and the propaganda has been pretty high pitched in 2014.

But that hype is just for domainers. Outside domainer circles, the status quo is pretty much as it ever was. Few businesses care about these new TLDs. They have businesses to run, and they mosstly aren't interested in buying domains period. When a few of them do buy domains, they continue to favor the established extensions they and their audiences use on a daily basis -- as the sales charts show.

Even if consumer behavior begins to shift in 2015 or later, it won't be enough to salvage most domainers' expenses. The public doesn't have the same ravenous appetite for buying domains that domainers have. End user purchases are slow ... too slow to make most of these nTLD domains -- even the good ones -- profitable investments.
I do not hate this post.

Love will prevail. Except in the case of new "instantly old" stinkweed bottom-level dom-mange detritus.

•••

There are some names that make sense for some end users. A lot of the names I looked at were in fact taken by what appear to be end users.

A nice keyword.solutions is actually a decent alternative at $22 for a company called keywordsolutions given that the latter are either developed or parked where domains are significantly MORE than $500.

I looked at a .solutions for a while before I realized that I had the .com and wondered what I was doing. It's very easy to succumb to the fake pressure that the existence of these names brings. :imho:

•••

Yea, I'm sitting out these landrushes to see what floats to the top later. Any future higher acquisition costs will be more than offset by the money saved by not buying duds today.

•••
There were 185 new gTLDs on Irish webhoster DNSes this morning. There were over 330K other gTLD domains on these hosters. This pattern is being repeated across many countries. .BERLIN may overtake .GURU in the next week. Daily growth on some new gTLDs is in the hundreds of domains not thousands. Some are not even breaking a hundred a day.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I recall in 2007 I was with my wife (then girlfriend) on a speedboat tour which boarded from downtown Miami and rode around some of the neighboring islands. From the boat I could count fifteen high-rise construction cranes building condos in downtown Miami. That was the height of the real estate bubble and a few years later real estate prices in Miami had plummeted about 50%.

What percentage of one and two-word domains in .COM, .Net are held by investors? Who knows? But seriously, research several commerce-related keywords and see how many .COM, .Net, etc domains for that keyword are held by investors. Now if those domains have not sold to end users, how is offering 500 additional options going to create end user demand for the new ones at prices where an investor can afford to investors hundreds or thousands and still make a decent return?

•••
I recall in 2007 I was with my wife (then girlfriend) on a speedboat tour which boarded from downtown Miami and rode around some of the neighboring islands. From the boat I could count fifteen high-rise construction cranes building condos in downtown Miami. That was the height of the real estate bubble and a few years later real estate prices in Miami had plummeted about 50%.

What percentage of one and two-word domains in .COM, .Net are held by investors? Who knows? But seriously, research several commerce-related keywords and see how many .COM, .Net, etc domains for that keyword are held by investors. Now if those domains have not sold to end users, how is offering 500 additional options going to create end user demand for the new ones at prices where an investor can afford to investors hundreds or thousands and still make a decent return?

as a domain investor, you probably cant.

thats why registries are the new domainers - they cut out the traditional domainer. thats where a lot of the attitude of people on this forum comes from... being pissed they cant register these for $8 and that the registry is charging $300/year..

so people compile lists and go HA! look! this registry only sold 2,000 registrations... hardy har har how pathetic. its only pathetic because the money isnt going in their pocket. like donuts.co registry for example... even selling 2 domains per TLD at the early access $12,500 price knocks out like what, 1/8th of their application fee of 185k! for 2 domains they get close to 25k! then take all the ones people register at $1,200, $700, $300 and even $150... it adds up pretty quick.

but as a domainer theres WAY WAY too many combinations to snatch up even if you were able to grab the super duper premium at $8/year... with this many combinations the hope of flipping them seems slim to me.

but people laughing at TLD's with "only" 5,000 registrations... ummm, duh. not sure what people expected with a bajillion niche extensions... it makes sense. a lot of these extensions wernt meant to have 500,000 registrations. its time to throw away the old calculator and enter the new realm of unknown.

Last edited:
•••
as a domain investor, you probably cant.

thats why registries are the new domainers - they cut out the traditional domainer. thats where a lot of the attitude of people on this forum comes from... being pissed they cant register these for $8 and that the registry is charging $300/year..

so people compile lists and go HA! look! this registry only sold 2,000 registrations... hardy har har how pathetic. its only pathetic because the money isnt going in their pocket. like donuts.co registry for example... even selling 2 domains per TLD knocks out like what, 1/8th of their application fee of 185k! for 2 domains they get close to 25k! then take all the ones people register at $1,200, $700, $300 and even $150... it adds up pretty quick.

but as a domainer theres WAY WAY too many combinations to snatch up even if you were able to grab the super duper premium at $8/year... with this many combinations the hope of flipping them seems slim to me.

but people laughing at TLD's with "only" 5,000 registrations... ummm, duh. not sure what people expected with a bajillion niche extensions... it makes sense. a lot of these extensions wernt meant to have 500,000 registrations. its time to throw away the old calculator and enter the new realm of unknown.
I can honestly say I cannot understand the fascination that seems to be currently attached to these new extensions. The endless and redundant discussions about their purported merits (or not) have already become tiresome. Today I scanned the gTLD forum and found myself shocked to see .MENU, yes I'd seen it before but I'd already forgotten its existence. Similarly, so many of these are forgettable. They are far too niche. Others will refute this of course. Sometimes I resist change. But with this massive influx I don't see change, I don't even see innovation. Who cares what I see or what I think. Way back when I lost my shirt with .cc domains, because I was stupid. I'm still stupid, but I also see history being repeated, and a whole lot of folks are going to lose their shirts. Big time. Innovation be damned.

•••
I can honestly say I cannot understand the fascination that seems to be currently attached to these new extensions. The endless and redundant discussions about their purported merits (or not) have already become tiresome. Today I scanned the gTLD forum and found myself shocked to see .MENU, yes I'd seen it before but I'd already forgotten its existence. Similarly, so many of these are forgettable. They are far too niche. Others will refute this of course. Sometimes I resist change. But with this massive influx I don't see change, I don't even see innovation. Who cares what I see or what I think. Way back when I lost my shirt with .cc domains, because I was stupid. I'm still stupid, but I also see history being repeated, and a whole lot of folks are going to lose their shirts. Big time. Innovation be damned.

because this is a domain forum.. im not sure why you wouldn't understand the fascination. this sort of thing has never happened before on such a large scale.. not even 1/100th of anything like this has happened before in such a short period of time. just because a person admits its interesting doesnt mean you gotta "invest" in them..

a year ago people here were pretending nobody would be talking about it. i even remember JB Lions saying something like "nobody cares about this, you're the only one who keeps bringing it up" as if it was just going to fade away. :lol:

its going to continue to be talked about and people will pretend they have it all figured out... saying "history will repeat itself."

not really. this aint just .mobi or .cc... yes domainers will lose money but the big dogs were saying stuff like 99% will die on the vine. :lol:

hilarious... you know whats dead on the vine? people that have had the same .com .net .org domains in their signature for the last 10 years that arnt developed websites. just sitting there, rotting..

•••
because this is a domain forum.. im not sure why you wouldn't understand the fascination. this sort of thing has never happened before on such a large scale.. not even 1/100th of anything like this has happened before in such a short period of time. just because a person admits its interesting doesnt mean you gotta "invest" in them..

a year ago people here were pretending nobody would be talking about it. i even remember JB Lions saying something like "nobody cares about this, you're the only one who keeps bringing it up" as if it was just going to fade away. :lol:

its going to continue to be talked about and people will pretend they have it all figured out... saying "history will repeat itself."

not really. this aint just .mobi or .cc... yes domainers will lose money but the big dogs were saying stuff like 99% will die on the vine. :lol:

hilarious... you know whats dead on the vine? people that have had the same .com .net .org domains in their signature for the last 10 years that arnt developed websites. just sitting there, rotting..

I'm saying the real world doesn't care about it. Doesn't seem like you do either based on your whopping 0 purchases. But, but, but., it's never been done before

•••
I'm saying the real world doesn't care about it. Doesn't seem like you do either based on your whopping 0 purchases. But, but, but., it's never been done before

so i have to buy these TLD's to continue to have a viewpoint on them.. oh OK man.

nah, you were referring to people on this forum. at the time nobody was really talking about it and you made reference to that saying i was the only one talking about it acting like its just gonna fade away when they came out.

•••

Well it does seem to be the same relatively few people talking about them.

True?

•••
so i have to buy these TLD's to continue to have a viewpoint on them.. oh OK man.

nah, you were referring to people on this forum. at the time nobody was really talking about it and you made reference to that saying i was the only one talking about it acting like its just gonna fade away when they came out.

It's the ole, putting your money where your mouth is. Most others who believe in them, back it up with actual purchases. And I never said people on this forum wouldn't talk about them, that doesn't make sense. Do you have a link to the thread where I said that? Every new extension gets talked about.

Clarify your viewpoint, because you seem to be bouncing around on it. Some threads you say they're not a good investment for domainers, other threads you act like they're the second coming. So only for end users? Or what exactly.

•••
It's the ole, putting your money where your mouth is. Most others who believe in them, back it up with actual purchases. And I never said people on this forum wouldn't talk about them, that doesn't make sense. Do you have a link to the thread where I said that? Every new extension get's talked about.

dude, for the last time, pay attention to what im saying: i think gTLD as a whole will catch on and be used often in the future. im not saying it will be profitable for domainers.

its harder for domainers to pick "winners" with a bajillion word combinations available - now believing that: why would i register some?

its because you picture everyone on one side of the line or another. you picture "pro gTLD" people and "anti gTLD" people... these arnt sports teams.. this isnt politics.. this isnt a religion. you dont have to pick an extreme side.

you hear things like "this has never been done before" and you respond like a 12 year old... "well you better buy some then hardy har har har" :wave:

•••
dude, for the last time, pay attention to what im saying: i think gTLD as a whole will catch on and be used often in the future. im not saying it will be profitable for domainers.

its harder for domainers to pick "winners" with a bajillion word combinations available - now believing that: why would i register some?

its because you picture everyone on one side of the line or another. you picture "pro gTLD" people and "anti gTLD" people... these arnt sports teams.. this isnt politics.. this isnt a religion. you dont have to pick an extreme side.

you hear things like "this has never been done before" and you respond like a 12 year old... "well you better buy some then hardy har har har" :wave:

Got it, you're basically saying domainers should stay away just like you're doing.

•••

Did you ever stop to think that maybe YOU'RE the one here who might need a time out and maybe a little seed money for a .MATURE

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back