IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch

McDuke

Top Member
Impact
Tired of annoying web extensions?

Wish it was a .com only world?

Feeling negative, cynical, grumpy, or you just want to join the fun?

Well here is the place for you.

The I Hate gTLD's Thread

pitchforks-torches-mob.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Well, some registries already reclassifying some reg-fee domains to premiums, at least for pre-orders.

And, suddenly, some registries are allowing bogus registrars to mass register desirable keywords, shell registrars that belong to the registries.

Warehousing at its worst.

This kind of sleight of hand is just the beginning, kiddies.

That is allowed, the domain is not owned until it is bought. So if they classify them premium the registrar has to follow that.

As for mass register desirable keywords, you mean the .link story and how Frank used a shell company to do that ? I agree, that was not a good move despite being legal.

•••
Domainers know whats up.

I grabbed a few early and am now waiting to see how things pan out. :)

•••
my one and only possible reg is to make one of the existing .com shorter.

My prediction is after people pick up and start to try to develop on the new extensions they will soon be seeking the .com... (I would... I wouldn't bother developing a new project without the .com) so keep your blog, forum, and other common .com's and wait for the offers to come in. now that's a smart way of investing.

•••
do we still hate em or have we moved on ? …….so many more to come and google opening it's registrar

•••
do we still hate em or have we moved on ? …….so many more to come and google opening it's registrar

There will be many haters come next years renewal period. :)

wow Google could give godaddy a run for their money if they want.

Last edited:
•••
Que Sera Sera :)

I couldn't decide between chirping birds or this:

So I opted for the cheerful and chirpy Doris Day, who offers an important message about the future.

:hearts:

Last edited:
•••
I still like this one :p

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdOQvx379Y[/youtube]​

•••
hey hey hey ….this is a serious hate thread
~
Ah the 60's

•••
When You Wish Upon a Star...

hey hey hey ….this is a serious hate thread
~
Ah the 60's

But, but, but, it's too HARD to keep up such hate for a sustained period of time.

Chillax to haters of all stripes and take in some serious smarm:

Last edited:
•••
this is for the new extensions

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0B2f844l8[/youtube]

Last edited:
•••
Here's a little object lesson from the .info gTLD from about 6 years back. At least I hope no one will repeat this horrific move with the new Gen's...

https://www.namepros.com/2499924-post.html

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

To be fair, those names are crap even in .com. What were people smoking in '08?

•••
Ouch!

Forge said: Here's a little object lesson from the .info gTLD from about 6 years back. At least I hope no one will repeat this horrific move with the new Gen's...

https://www.namepros.com/2499924-post.html

I think there is a lesson in this old .info thread: that nonsense domains in alternative gTLDs are just not going to fly. Heck, LLLL in .com can be difficult to sell.

Perhaps if you stick to premium keywords that fit the right of the dot, then MAYBE some profit can be realized.

But some of the utter nonsense ones that I have been seeing on the domainer blogs and these threads make me cringe. I'm not going to be specific and pick on anyone, for I have also regged some questionable two-word new g's (fessing up: TopReal.Estate and AllReal.Estate are mine).

So I would say to think twice before hitting that reg button.

"Hater" is too strong of a word; I would reserve that word to people who really deserve it.

;)

•••
To be fair, those names are crap even in .com. What were people smoking in '08?
Domain Tasting was in full swing and most of the drops were being hoovered up by cyberwarehousing operations. There was also a LLLL bubble being inflated by people who owned LLLL.com domains. They were strange day indeed. :)

Regards...jmcc

•••
doubt many were registering LLLL/info anyway

•••
This entire section of the forum reminds me of a Top Level Graveyard. It must be the wrong impression, however, and currently all the savvy TLG investors are busily conducting their blockbuster aftermarket sales/flips/deals extraordinaire.

P.S. I ain't hatin'.

•••
This is all so exciting! newgtlds ftw!

Who would have thought another opportunity like this would come up. ;)

Nom Nom Nom
popcorn1-250x300.jpg

•••
•••
can we hate .xyz yet ?

I dislike what's going on with .xyz -- if I can't trust the registry, then I can't trust the gTLD.

I think it's a strange gTLD, but, perhaps, I'm the wrong target audience.

•••

I think it's a strange gTLD, but, perhaps, I'm the wrong target audience.

You mean 'someone capable of rational thought'?

XYZ seems like an elaborate practical joke. "Hey, let's see if we can get people to pay to register domains with a random extension!"

•••
You mean 'someone capable of rational thought'?

XYZ seems like an elaborate practical joke. "Hey, let's see if we can get people to pay to register domains with a random extension!"
And .pizza is any better? I'm sure buymyf*cking.pizza is the BALLS, but in the year 2020 are we going to have a gTLD for every FOOD ITEM IN THE GALAXY!!?!?!?!?! What ICANN has allowed is obscene and it infuriates me and should infuriate anyone with an ounce of reason.

•••
And .pizza is any better? I'm sure buymyf*cking.pizza is the BALLS, but in the year 2020 are we going to have a gTLD for every FOOD ITEM IN THE GALAXY!!?!?!?!?! What ICANN has allowed is obscene and it infuriates me and should infuriate anyone with an ounce of reason.

At least pizza is a common word that people use. But with that and the rest of the .moneygrab domains, most of the public with think they're seeing typos instead of web site addresses for years to come. "Mabel, this ad says 'freds.pizza'. They don't have their web site listed anywhere!"

With XYZ it's just ridiculous. There's no need for it, no demand for it, and no amount of money is going to get it to even 10% of the global awareness of .com as being a web site address in the public's mind.

But like with the others there will probably be the land rush phase with press releases, followed by a few high profile four or five figure sales (most likely of domains the public didn't have a chance to register), then a flood of people trying to sell their own non-premium .worthless domains over the next year or two.

Within five years this will all be another story to tell the next batch of newbies as a warning about getting swayed by hype.

•••
i tend to think of .xyz as a directory style extension

•••
i tend to think of .xyz as a directory style extension
Directory as in Excel spreadsheet that you throw into a bottom desk drawer, never to be looked at again?

;)

•••
I was tempted on the .CONDOS domains but then again $69/year times ten years before a market develops times several domains (who sells 100% of their inventory?) means you have to sell at a price which realtors normally are wary of paying. True MB made a valid point about the commissions realtors can make on one transaction but they often don't see it that way.

•••

Why should we be infuriated? Domains are simply a series of words separated by dots. What's the actual problem?
An increase in phishing, scams, or naughty shenanigans I get... but just a lot of gtlds? Who cares?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back