Dynadot

alert The fund can't be withdrawal from Epik.com via Masterbucks wallet

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

enamebroker

Top Member
Impact
It happened on 23rd Aug 2022 and this matter lasted almost one month without any process. Masterbucks.com declined my fund withdrawal and disabled the button of fund withdrawal. And I contacted Epik.com and got no further action even if Rob Monster got involved in it for two weeks. All the time I was told in email by management review.

What is wrong with Epik.com? Do you think it is normal to disable fund withdrawal? How can I get back my fund from Epik.com? Thanks for your suggestion.

Capture4.JPG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domain registrar businesses are just a little better than web hosting ones, but still most good ones end up going down sooner or later. Remember that Registerfly, Moniker, Uniregistry, Pheenix and Epik were once very friendly and prosperous... until a certain day.

•••
Domain registrar businesses are just a little better than web hosting ones, but still most good ones end up going down sooner or later. Remember that Registerfly, Moniker, Uniregistry, Pheenix and Epik were once very friendly and prosperous... until a certain day.
RegisterFly was a massive problem for ICANN and registrants. Moniker was taken over as was Uniregistry. Pheenix was a dropcatcher rather than a retail registrar.

Most good registrars have been in business for over twenty years in one form or another. There has been a lot of consolidation in the registrar business and many of the smaller ones have been taken over by registrar portfolio operators. Some of them have multiple accreditations and hundreds of branded resellers.

The domain name business is a bit like plumbing. When a registrar does its job, nobody notices but when a registrar doesn't, everything gets covered in crap.

Regards...jmcc

•••
No matter the causes, all those I mentioned were once good but not anymore. From those in business for over 20 years only Dynadot would I consider good.

•••
•••
New numbers posted:

https://www.DomainState/registrar/epik.html

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 7.51.51 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 7.51.57 AM.png

•••
Even at current < 500k it's a lot of domains at risk, quite a few will be lost / expired through the process. Many headaches and suffering for people that have nothing to do with this.

•••
To add more background to the comments above about "Why Wyoming?" and the involvement of a registered agent firm in the attempt to swindle Epik's customers, this article specifically mentions the attorney for the registered agent service favored by Royce et al.:

https://www.icij.org/investigations...-help-open-america-to-oligarchs-and-scammers/

The gatekeepers who help open America to oligarchs and scammers

Public records show that the agents appear to be connected to Registered Agents Inc., which identifies as its “world wide headquarters” the building on North Gould Street.

Until last month, the company listed “Bill Havre” as board president and executive director. Havre was described on the company’s website as a longtime Wyoming resident who grew up on a ranch and eventually became “intrigued by the business entity formation process.” His name appears on dozens of corporate documents provided to the state on behalf of various companies.

A local newspaper, The Sheridan Press, began investigating the North Gould Street operation in 2020. It found that consumers could not reach anyone at the building. As the newspaper prepared to publish another story late last year, a lawyer for Registered Agents Inc. threatened to sue, calling the coverage “sensationalism and a blatant attempt to smear our company’s good name.”

The newspaper published anyway.

After inquiries by ICIJ and The Post, Registered Agents Inc. removed Havre’s name from the company’s website. Company lawyer Bryce Myrvang said the change was made after an internal audit and that the updated website reflects “current leadership.” He did not respond to questions about Havre, saying the company does not share personal information about current or former employees.

•••
•••
While a generalized statement like that is typically true, in this case it is not.
As ICANN said in their Breach issued June 1st, quote: "Further, ICANN Contractual Compliance has confirmed that, to date, the specific issues for the affected domain names included in the complaints received by ICANN Contractual Compliance were subsequently addressed."

People filed complaints, ICANN investigated, and Epik (smartly) fixed the issues for those domains, so no basis (by itself) for ICANN to consider it a breach of the RAA.

Notice too that once ICANN was able to nail Epik for breach due to non-payment of dues, ICANN ALSO stipulated that Epik fix the issues causing the delays in registrations, renewals & transfers. So as soon as ICANN was able to nail Epik for something, they did so.

As much as I hate to admit it, in this particular case ICANN seems to have done all it could do, as fast as it could.
Remember escrow, masterbucks, ccTLDs, etc are OUTSIDE the scope of ICANN authority.

Yes, I understand. But should a registrant really have to lodge a complaint in order to have their domain renewed? If you don’t lodge a complaint there’s a good chance your domain expires. There is plenty of evidence that Epik is not conducting the basic functions of a registrar until ICANN tells them to. That is NOT how a registrar is supposed to operate.

1685714906008.png

ICANN makes it clear that they’ve received plenty of complaints. But a breach notice is only forthcoming when its ICANN missing out on fees. I totally understand what you’re saying – ICANN has acted within its policies – for sure. But my understanding is that ICANN sets these policies (in consultation with certain industry reps, etc). So if that’s the case, as I was saying, their policies seem to protect themselves before they protect consumers.

Last edited:
•••
Without the debt, the registrar side of Epik may still be a viable business but it would need a lot of work and a possible rebranding.
Interestingly, it seems to me that the buyers are wanting to keep the brand. A requirement of the sale was that Epik Holdings and Epik Inc rename within 10 days of the sale. I can only think that’s because the buyer wants to keep the Epik name (since that’s what the new LLC is called). There wouldn’t be a whole lot of point having the sellers re-brand if the buyer was going to do the same, though of course there is a possibility that could still happen.

Monster is a much better marketer than Royce.
At least RM had some idea about the domain business.

Without corporate abuse, these funds would still be available.
Precisely.

Last edited:
•••
In the notice detailed in the chronology below, ICANN notified the Registrar of the violations
associated with the case, including the relevant ICANN agreement. The telephone call below
describes a further attempt from ICANN to communicate to the Registrar the details and
urgency of the case and to make an ICANN Contractual Compliance staff member available to
address any questions in order to assist Epik in becoming compliant. These attempts were
unsuccessful."
[Highlighting added] Rather a concern isn't it?!?!?! :xf.rolleyes:
If the registrar business could have been sold then it might have gained Epik some more time. However, the hearing for the TRO could affect that. Unless Epik resolves all the problems listed by ICANN, it is effectively a dead man walking.
Yep, if the TRO goes through I can't really imagine any way that Epik can keep operating as the whole problem for the last 10 months has been $$$ (or the severe lack thereof).

Last edited:
•••
Yes, I understand. But should a registrant really have to lodge a complaint in order to have their domain renewed? If you don’t lodge a complaint there’s a good chance your domain expires. There is plenty of evidence that Epik is not conducting the basic functions of a registrar until ICANN tells them to. That is NOT how a registrar is supposed to operate.

Show attachment 239008

ICANN makes it clear that they’ve received plenty of complaints. But a breach notice is only forthcoming when its ICANN missing out on fees. I totally understand what you’re saying – ICANN has acted within its policies – for sure. But my understanding is that ICANN sets these policies (in consultation with certain industry reps, etc). So if that’s the case, as I was saying, their policies seem to protect themselves before they protect consumers.

You are right.

Complaints about Epik failing to discharge their duties as a registrar have been going around since last year.

If we assume that ICANN received ACTUAL complaints from customers just this year, it means ICANN have been aware for at least 5 months.

Yet, they did not respond as firmly as this. If they did respond at all.

Epik took money from people without regging/renewing their domain names.

Some people lost their domain names because of this.

Nothing from ICANN.

But the moment EPIK owe them money, they come at them in force.

Sure looks like ICANN cares about their money than making sure registrars don't rob owners of domain names.

•••
Interestingly, it seems to me that the buyers are wanting to keep the brand. A requirement of the sale was that Epik Holdings and Epik Inc rename within 10 days of the sale. I can only think that’s because the buyer wants to keep the Epik name (since that’s what the new LLC is called). There wouldn’t be a whole lot of point having the sellers re-brand if the buyer was going to do the same, though of course there is a possibility that could still happen.
The mismanagement has damaged the brand but it still has some value and a lot of recognition. The main concern would be the number of people affected by the Masterbucks fiasco and the non-renewals.

At least RM had some idea about the domain business.
He had. Once ICANN Compliance gets going, it is very difficult to stop.

Regards...jmcc

•••
[Highlighting added] Rather a concern isn't it?!?!?! :xf.rolleyes:
It is like the current management of Epik doesn't appreciate the situation.

Yep, if the TRO goes through I can't really imagine any way that Epik can keep operating as the whole problem for the last 10 months has been $$$ (or the severe lack thereof).
The TRO could finish Epik unless it can pay off the debts and fix the complaints.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The main concern would be the number of people affected by the Masterbucks fiasco and the non-renewals.
Yup. But of course MB is a totally separate company (so Epik says) so I guess that's not their concern (in their mind). Grrr....
It is like the current management of Epik doesn't appreciate the situation.
Indeed.
The TRO could finish Epik unless it can pay off the debts and fix the complaints.
Yeah. I really can't see how Epik could possibly survive that. Unless current investors injected a heap of cash (which they'd be crazy to do). And at least some of them already converted their equity to debt anyway. So they have made themselves creditors instead of investors. Rather convenient.

•••
And at least some of them already converted their equity to debt anyway. So they have made themselves creditors instead of investors. Rather convenient.
I remember posting this last year:
1685716487748.png

So, even then, I'd say it was very clear to the 'investors' where things were headed. They knew exactly what was happening, and the best way for them to get their funds back. It seems that JJE installed Royce, and he has been doing their bidding ever since.
Rob said:
1685716818983.png

And I am sure he has seen a lot more of what has gone on than the rest of us.

Last edited:
•••
I remember posting this last year:
Show attachment 239009
So, even then, I'd say it was very clear to the 'investors' where things were headed. They knew exactly what was happening, and the best way for them to get their funds back. It seems that JJE installed Royce, and he has been doing their bidding ever since.
Rob said:
Show attachment 239011
And I am sure he has seen a lot more of what has gone on than the rest of us.

So as a former advisor, I can comment on this.

IF someone was wanting to buy out my company, and they agree on price but want full control over operations, and cannot buy out my shares, you have two options to self finance it,

1. Convert shares to Preferred Stock (Equity but no voting rights, gets paid preferred dividend before any other profits are paid out, or
2. Sell your shares in exchange for a secured debt position.

Debt holders do not have voting rights generally, but are still first to get paid.

•••
So what happens to all those "forever domains" that people registered?

Looks like many of them will no longer be registered "forever".

•••
So what happens to all those "forever domains" that people registered?

Looks like many of them will no longer be registered "forever".
I think you know the answer pretty well.

Also, you should not have promoted this forever thing in the past.

•••
when I go my bank and I sign different they ask me try again

Your bank's rules about signature matching in order to prevent fraud are up to your bank. But that has nothing to do with whether someone intends a mark to be their signature. Clearly, these are all notarized signatures, and so the signatories had to present suitable ID to the notary. If none of them are denying it is their signature, then there is no problem.

I'm not sure why there is such confidence that the court would grant the TRO. First off, the fact that the hearing was promptly scheduled means nothing. TRO's are generally scheduled as soon as possible. In the event the court determines it was not worthy of emergency relief, then that is a problem for the party seeking one, but scheduling hearings on TRO's as soon as possible is the normal procedure.

Secondly, the mere fact that a business has ripped someone off is not itself a reason for a court, in a lawsuit over said theft, to generally enjoin the activities of that business. Obviously, Epik and Royce are going to argue that they are trying to get the plaintiff paid, and now the plaintiff is trying to stop that. Believe it or not, the judge has not slogged through 294 pages of Namepros and doesn't really know or care much beyond the fact that Epik has largely admitted that it took this guy's money. This isn't a bankruptcy proceeding, in which the debtor needs the approval of the court and creditors to engage in sales of assets. Again, if a business owes you money, and you want to stop them from selling assets, then you file an involuntary bankruptcy petition in order to make that happen. I would be surprised if the judge doesn't ask the plaintiff why he didn't do that instead.

I have no idea what the outcome of the hearing or the petition will be. Most of the time, a judge will conclude the hearing by taking the arguments under advisement and stating that an order will issue. But it would not surprise me if the judge said, "You want money? They're trying to sell assets to get you money. You want me to stop them?"

It's just hard to see a judge getting into what amounts to a piecemeal receivership over any scheme the defendant concocts to come up with the money claimed by the plaintiff. Again, that's what a bankruptcy receiver is for. But bankruptcy would be challenging for Epik, because it is hard to get a receiver to take over what amounts to a criminal enterprise.

The other issue here is that the deal is already screwed. The proposed deal involved getting ICANN approval for transfer of the registrar accreditation to the new entity.

That's just insane.

Looking at the ICANN Notice of Breach, Royce and crew have known they were delinquent with ICANN fees for quite a while now. It's obvious that Royce's stupidity extends to basic principles of registrar accreditation, because ICANN does not simply rubber stamp deals to move a registrar accreditation from one entity to another without the same sort of disclosure and background information required in the original accreditation process. They CERTAINLY aren't going to approve transfer of a delinquent accreditation that is also designed to screw the registries.

In any event, I am sorry to be traveling later today. Someone might want to contact the judge's clerk's office to get a listen-only line on that Zoom call. US court proceedings are public. But if you do that, please follow the rules and do not make any recordings. Just take some good notes.

•••
Debt holders do not have voting rights generally, but are still first to get paid.
Precisely. I’m sure that’s why they did it. And, voting rights or not, doesn't mean they can't exert significant pressure on certain parties. It's clear that Epik doesn't do things by the book, and Brian seems to not only be a domain noob, but also doesn't seem to possess a whole lot of business nous, thus I would say he'd be beholden to whichever party is pulling the strings, regardless of their official capacity.

•••
I think you know the answer pretty well.

Also, you should not have promoted this forever thing in the past.
I was never involved with "forever registrations", that was an Epik thing. That's why I am asking.

•••
I was never involved with "forever registrations", that was an Epik thing. That's why I am asking.
Bill, I said you've been promoting Epik's Forever Domain Registration in the past. You must read carefully. Among others, on your own website, on Quora, on Twitter and on an SEO blog where you wrote a guest article.

It was also present on the DNProtect website: "They may also choose to purchase a “forever registration”, which they can do at Epik.com." (I asked you to remove this, in your AMA thread).

Last edited:
•••
Have you ever had to investigate the theft of the eternal name?

•••
It was a really good idea for Brian to fire an employee, screw her out of $20,000, and then have her wind up working at ICANN.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back