Dynadot

warning Lost many of my expired domains even after I won them in the expired auctions at Sav.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello everyone,

This is one of the very bad experiences I had with the popular registrar Sav.com. In fact, I transferred many of my domains from other registrars to Sav.com for their uniform pricing for registrations, transfers, and renewals, and their intuitive interface. I had around 100+ domain names with them.

When I was on a business trip, I forgot to renew around 20 domain names, and they were all ended up in expired auctions, past the renewal grace period. I have been holding on to them for the past 15+ years. When I resumed my work after my business trip, luckily I saw those domains at Sav.com's expired auctions. I participated in the auctions, and won them.

Everything went well up to this point.

I was so happy that I am going to get these names back. The moment I received an email from Sav.com about the winning of the expired domain auctions, I logged into my account at Sav.com, and tried to find the invoices for the expired domain auctions I won, to make the payment for them.

I found none.

Then I tried to fund my Sav.com account with an amount required to pay for the expired auctions, but guess what, prepay option is not there. I tried reaching out to the support team, and they told me that there is no way to manually pay for the winning auctions. They told me that their "system" is built in such a way that it will automatically try to charge the payment method on file, once in a day, and continue to do so for three days from the auction end date, in case if the payment method on file fails for any reasons.

I won eight domain names in the expired auctions (they were all previously owned by me and have a history of almost 15+ years of continuous registration). Since I was the only bidder, all those names were won by me for the starting price of the auctions. Another 12 names are still in the auction, and two more days to go.

The eight names I won in the expired auctions had a starting price of $8.6 each. Since I can't manually make the payment for the 8 names I won, I waited for their "system" to automatically deduct the amount from the payment method I had on file with them. In the night following the auctions end date, I received a debit message from my credit card issuer for an amount of $8.6, and another seven "transaction declined" error messages. I inquired my card issuing bank and they told me that, their fraud prevention mechanism had blocked the automated, exact valued, and repeated transaction attempts except the first transaction.

I contacted the Sav.com support team, and explained them what happened. I requested them to issue individual invoices for the auctions I won, so that I can manually make the payment. They told me that it is not possible, and asked me to choose another payment method and wait for the "system" to process the transactions.

As per their suggestion, I changed the payment method with another credit card from a different bank. The next day, I received a debit message from my credit card issuer for an amount of $8.6, and another six "transaction declined" error messages, similar to the ones I received with my previous card issuer. Upon inquiring, the current credit card issuer has told me the same. They blocked all the remaining transactions except the first one for the same reason.

I contacted the Sav.com support team, and explained them what happened. I requested them to charge the credit card on file throuhout the day at various intervals, one transaction at a time, but they told me that their "system" is automated and they can't modify the "system" to do the transactions in the way I requested. They provided me with their default resolution as "Try changing the payment method".

I tried my luck with another credit card, issued by a different bank. This time, the card was debited with another $8.6, but I received a single "Gateway Rejected" error message. This time, I contacted Sav.com support and they told me that their Credit Card Fraud Prevention system has blocked the rest of the transactions except the first one. In order to bypass my account from this filtering mechanism, they requested me to send the scanned copies of my credit cards, and a government issued photo Id to their email address. I sent them to their email address, and they told me that they bypassed my account from the fraud protection screening during the card transactions.

Here comes the best part. I received no more messages from them. I checked the remaining four domains, and found that they are in redemption status now. I contacted the support team and they told me that their "system" tried to charge my credit cards three times in a row, continuously for three days (once in a day), and stopped. It successfully charged 3 transactions, but the another five transactions remained unpaid, and entered into the redemption state as of today.

I won these expired domains auctions 3 days ago. I was ready to pay for them all, but they refused to accept the payments in any other forms. Neither they had an option to prepay the funds required to make the payment for the auctions I won, nor they had an option to generate individual invoices to make payment for the auctions I won. If their so called "system" had an option to charge the total amount of all the auctions I won in a single transaction, I would have not lost those five domains. Now they are asking me to pay $80 per domain to redeem them back.

Do not know what to do next.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unfortunately the payment mechanism on Sav is a disaster. I too received errors on my credit card, the same card that works fine the next day. They do not allow you to load funds into a wallet or to use the credit of domains sold on their marketplace. They must improve because competitors (for example Dynadot, Namesilo, Namecheap) have many payment options in comparison to Sav with embedded wallet.

•••
I have no problem since I activated automatic payments with Paypal

•••
I'm sorry to have heard this.... 15 years hodling.

But maybe it's for the best because if no one else bid on the domains, well you know...

That's the bright side of things, at least.

•••
Paypal option is a better option for some registrars because no need verification of a credit card by Sav , Namebright , Hexonet etc..because the credit card is verified by Paypal

Try via Paypal @.tv

And also try to move names to Dynadot for example

Cheers 🤗

•••
Link Paypal to Sav and it will process payments from card through it, the other way is contact your banks and tell them "you know it's my money and I decide how to spend them, unblock Sav website so I can make payments at Sav" this is how I did with similar issue.

•••
Wow, what a crapshow. Unfortunately you can't avoid the redemption fee, because it's collected by the registry. So either you pay up or wait for the domains to get deleted and hope for the best. Maybe put a backorder at sav, heh.

•••
Wow, what a crapshow. Unfortunately you can't avoid the redemption fee, because it's collected by the registry. So either you pay up or wait for the domains to get deleted and hope for the best. Maybe put a backorder at sav, heh.
Yeah... no one bid on them. I feel like they'll just delete.

•••
Yeah... no one bid on them. I feel like they'll just delete.

At this point they will 100% delete after the redemption period. There will be no further round of auctions. However I would be careful with thinking noone will want them. Sav is a small, niche site where they could have gone unnoticed, but once they get deleted, they will be ogled and analysed by lots of people and scripts, and might eventually get caught by snapnames or dropcatch, we cannot know that. OP will have to decide on a name-by-name basis.

Last edited:
•••
•••
First, it's pretty sad that Sav wasn't able to do something about that manually. It would actually make zero sense for a company to set their system up that way this day in age, so I'm guessing that was really just a load of bull and if they really wanted to, they could have done something manually for you. I'd keep an eye on the Pending Delete lists and either try to backorder them or catch them yourself once they drop.

Secondly, remember that it's your money in that bank account. Kudos to them for having some fraud prevention in place, but I would have told them don't block those transactions because they're mine and authorized. I would have told them on the phone I'm authorizing these transactions right now - they will be charged tomorrow and better go through. Tell them to do whatever they need to do in their system to ensure this happens, because every single one of them better go through. If not, I'll be coming in to pull my hard earned money out and moving it to the bank down the street. Once again, the bank can do things to make sure those go through, they just don't want to put in a lick of additional work that they don't have to. That's your money in there and all they are doing is holding it for you. I've had this happen personally with my banks daily withdrawal limits. I told them it's my money and they are either going to raise/remove daily limit or I'll just take all of the money somewhere else. They didn't remove it completely, but it was doubled in one short call.

Last edited:
•••
Link Paypal to Sav and it will process payments from card through it, the other way is contact your banks and tell them "you know it's my money and I decide how to spend them, unblock Sav website so I can make payments at Sav" this is how I did with similar issue.

did u know paypal takes bit off the top for itself if u just use it to process credit card. they dont work for free u know. nobody should ever use paypal to just pay credit card payment if they have option to use card.direct

•••
well so much hassle and yet u get 30 expired days to renew... for names that u wanted bad yo keep.. I mean just.renew em 10day before expire ...or 20 or 50 or 60 or 13..
if those 30day expired arent enuf... u wanna blame someone here just get a mirror

•••
a series of unfortunate events

•••
•••
I've seen this alot, where many domainers run away from a certain big registrar and run to these flashy new ones or small ones and get screwed down the road. Good news is the Paypal suggestion seem to be a solution to the issue going forward. There's probably 3 solid registrars imo.. but people love chasing the rainbows.

•••
I agree with the above comments about having a card linked to a Paypal account. I use this payment method for all unknown seller transactions. I wonder just how many of these domains found their way back (probably all) onto the general availably for registration, OP date was the 25th Sept. Reads like all of them weren't particularly desirable, as already mentioned above. So many times, including with myself, It's our own mental switch-off that looses our domains, then we blame the registration and card services for not complying with our individual set of circumstances

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back