Dynadot

discuss The after effects of "showcase" threads

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

biggie

GreenFriendly.comTop Member
Impact
:talk:

look around the forum and you'll see dozens of 'showcase' threads.

for a newbie, on the surface they seem like new opportunities to get in on a perceived latest trend or an opp to register keyword domains in new extensions, etc and hopefully make some sales.

for the experienced....their non supportive comments relating to the "faults" in/of such plans, from what I've seen, aren't really welcome.

so, if feedback is restricted, along with viewpoints from a different perspective.

then, the net result are threads full of consecutive back pats on/for speculative domain registrations without guidance.

the after effect is/are, those who will benefit from creating these threads and those who loose out thru "participation registrations".

if/when the potential ramifications of those actions, cannot be addressed therein....then you are loosing more than you are aware of.

just saying, don't get 'caught up' in the show

understand who it's being "put on" for

know who the actors are and what "impression" the plan is, to impress upon you.

always seek, and never fear, the most critical advice.

now how many have of you have made profits and how many have yet to make a dime?

share if you dare!

imo...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great thread :)

It's so true, there are so many of those threads on NP. I lost count after so many years.

Predictive domaining is great in theory but...
  1. by the time a trend is making the news, it's too late to tap the niche, at least on handregs (noobs are cheap sheep)
  2. debate is not always sincere, and too many members are congratulating each other
  3. some members have no clue what they are talking about, and stubbornly resist any attempt to instill reason in the discussion.
And you know why those threads are so popular and keep coming up ?
Because people are late to the game and have dreams, and they want to believe. We are all hoping for a big payday. Such us human nature. That's it, the vast majority of domainers are betting on domains like lottery tickets.
It's the same in real life, people tend to discard or downplay the inconvenient facts, and try to 'believe' things are more or less the way they should be, or they want it to be.

And like 3D said, many of those threads have been launched by newbies who didn't survive renewal time and disappeared into the void of space... but they talk like visionaries and the more experienced (and cautious) domainers are depicted as naysayers or negative members, dinosaurs, flatlanders etc. In spite of having a track record that newbies do not have.

Then, you have people making up sales that never took place...
So yes, it's a lot of fluff and ego.

Don't believe everything you hear or read, especially on the Internet !

IMO...®

•••
Great thread :)

It's so true, there are so many of those threads on NP. I lost count after so many years.

Predictive domaining is great in theory but...
  1. by the time a trend is making the news, it's too late to tap the niche, at least on handregs (noobs are cheap sheep)
  2. debate is not always sincere, and too many members are congratulating each other
  3. some members have no clue what they are talking about, and stubbornly resist any attempt to instill reason in the discussion.
And you know why those threads are so popular and keep coming up ?
Because people are late to the game and have dreams, and they want to believe. We are all hoping for a big payday. Such us human nature. That's it, the vast majority of domainers are betting on domains like lottery tickets.
It's the same in real life, people tend to discard or downplay the inconvenient facts, and try to 'believe' things are more or less the way they should be, or they want it to be.

And like 3D said, many of those threads have been launched by newbies who didn't survive renewal time and disappeared into the void of space... but they talk like visionaries and the more experienced (and cautious) domainers are depicted as naysayers or negative members, dinosaurs, flatlanders etc. In spite of having a track record that newbies do not have.

Then, you have people making up sales that never took place...
So yes, it's a lot of fluff and ego.

Don't believe everything you hear or read, especially on the Internet !

IMO...®

common sense isn't always apparent or applied, which can lead to waste of money for many who engage, without having benefit of opposing opinions.

appreciate you once again "kate" for stepping up and being real.

ain't too many that will stay true to the game, when it ain't popular to do so

most just sit on the fence, figuring which side to fall on

when all they have to do is stand up.

imo....

•••
Sometimes I think there is a little too much babying going on. Just saw the new warning thread, then have the little thing in the Appraisal forum about not taking $0 too personal etc.

But as far as after affects, I think it's fine. Losing money is where learning takes place. Don't deny newbies that joy, that experience. Even long time domainers taste it today. Reminds me of another recent thread, similar topic. If it's people asking for opinions on new trends/extensions whatever, that's the place for it. Nothing wrong with helping out. Sometimes it happens in threads where it's not asked for/wanted. Wondering if people are just bored sometimes. Some people popping in those threads, giving advice, taking a look at their own domains/sale sites, probably shouldn't be giving advice anyway. Picking bad domains can happen across the board, doesn't have to be a new trend/extension. And again with those, there will be people making money with them, because they just pick domains that make sense/work.

This has to do with the new wearables thread I guess. New things coming down the line, people want to talk about it, even tho wearable tech has been around for awhile, calculator watches in the 80's, stuff before and after that. Maybe a few wearable domains will sell, the brandable ones or the few that actually make sense, but money is probably more on the specific wearable that doesn't have the word wearable anywhere in it, than some general domain.

•••
Sometimes I think there is a little too much babying going on. Just saw the new warning thread, then have the little thing in the Appraisal forum about not taking $0 too personal etc.

But as far as after affects, I think it's fine. Losing money is where learning takes place. Don't deny newbies that joy, that experience. Even long time domainers taste it today. Reminds me of another recent thread, similar topic. If it's people asking for opinions on new trends/extensions whatever, that's the place for it. Nothing wrong with helping out. Sometimes it happens in threads where it's not asked for/wanted. Wondering if people are just bored sometimes. Some people popping in those threads, giving advice, taking a look at their own domains/sale sites, probably shouldn't be giving advice anyway. Picking bad domains can happen across the board, doesn't have to be a new trend/extension. And again with those, there will be people making money with them, because they just pick domains that make sense/work.

This has to do with the new wearables thread I guess. New things coming down the line, people want to talk about it, even tho wearable tech has been around for awhile, calculator watches in the 80's, stuff before and after that. Maybe a few wearable domains will sell, the brandable ones or the few that actually make sense, but money is probably more on the specific wearable that doesn't have the word wearable anywhere in it, than some general domain.

I agree, there is waaaaay too much babying, pacifying, and breast feeding going on

cuz I know for sure, I've read plenty of posts where members want to be "spoon-fed" the info-mation, rather than reading it and cyphering for themselves

but this thread is not about the wearables thread in particular, just about showcase threads in general.

take the marijuana thread, been going strong since 2012

but how many of them actually have ever sold any bud?

and if and when it becomes legal nation wide, walgreens, cvs, wallmart, kmart, Costco, along with ever other retailer will be selling it too.

so how valuable will those names really be?

but the hype of great name, still goes on

like you say though, why deprive the newbies from the joys of failure

:)

puff, puff, pass

imo....

•••
I never realized a lot of you people are very affected by these "showcase" threads.

I have checked these threads in the past, like the showcase your "pot" thread, or "solar" thread. I never got the hang out of people posting what marijuana domains they just regged recently. It's not YOUR domain. So what am i supposed to do? Reg my own marijane .com??? And the biggest myth is just because someone sold a "solar" domain, it doesn't mean you can find your own buyer for your own solar stuffs. So what value do you get to see someone saying i regged this Wearable Crowd Cloud Pot domain?

Are you supposed to do a copycat reg of that same domain?

And of all the domains getting posted on the "showcase" threads, how many of them actually got sold, and how many of them eventually got dropped?

•••
Indeed, and the thing is, with all the names they reg, it can't all be at $1.99 because GD doesn't issue tens or hundreds of these codes to enable these "mass" registrations over short periods of time. So they may be paying $8+ too for many of their registrations-but they won't say it.

4 accounts 10 codes = 40 domains.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Even the anti showcase thread has Naysayers... they're everywhere!

•••

I agree, there is waaaaay too much babying, pacifying, and breast feeding going on

cuz I know for sure, I've read plenty of posts where members want to be "spoon-fed" the info-mation, rather than reading it and cyphering for themselves

but this thread is not about the wearables thread in particular, just about showcase threads in general.

take the marijuana thread, been going strong since 2012

but how many of them actually have ever sold any bud?

and if and when it becomes legal nation wide, walgreens, cvs, wallmart, kmart, Costco, along with ever other retailer will be selling it too.

so how valuable will those names really be?

but the hype of great name, still goes on

like you say though, why deprive the newbies from the joys of failure

puff, puff, pass

imo....

Well, you don't need to have actually sold or used bud, to sell a domain. Or did you mean bud domains? Maybe somebody has a nice brandable somebody wants to build on. Maybe you're a new company looking to take advantage of these new laws and want to get into selling pen vaporizers, that in a .com would be a nice name to have.

Again, for me, doesn't matter the sector, if it's old or new tech, whatever. It's about good domains, no matter where they are. And getting good domains in this category makes sense to me as it slowly becomes legal in more and more states.

Last edited:
•••
And of all the domains getting posted on the "showcase" threads, how many of them actually got sold, and how many of them eventually got dropped?

I think the basic thinking is that the domains will be sellable in the future based on emerging tech/trends. It can be a good bet for a few folks but most will pull the lever and come up with triple $0.

•••
The nice thing about Showcase Trend threads is folks SHOW their hand.

The fact that they show their hand adds priceless value to the domain market, and each showcase trend namespace, because it produces trackable market data.

Of course, most hands are losers... so its easy to sit back, look at past data, and say those that showed their hand and lost don't know how to play the game... so they are no longer here. The problem with that is logging-in is not the standard of success. Showing your "winner's" hand is.

I have more respect for the players who show their hands and lose, than the folks who claim to be winners but never show their hand. The "Damn, I had Kings!" bit gets old hand after hand.

If your strategy is buying ($450 dollar) names in the aftermarket, then start an After Market Showcase thread and post the names, so members see your hand -and can track the drops or sales. THEN we can compare the ROI against comparable trend handregs in that namespace.

Same thing goes for the sales posted in Showcase Trend threads. Its easy to say they are not real. Even when proof is posted (then its.. "What its parked?", or "Show me your bank statement". But where are YOUR posted sales, with (Escrow doc caliber) proof, to back-up your better-than-thou position?

In business, when you repeatedly say you have a better mousetrap... its put-up or shut-up. If you can't put-up and you won't shut-up... then your "Talking the talk without walking the walk". To put it politely.

It is a business forum, so mega-posters will 'Talk the talk". That's what they do best, and there is some value in that.

But try not to delude yourself into thinking merely talking-the-talk adds more value than the Showcase Trend Data Threads you like to piss-on from the lofty position of 'experienced expert'.

•••
The "Showcase threads" and the "Report completed domain sales thread" should combined into one single thread.

The "Bull$hit Thread".

•••
Let's get this straight no one is going to harass another member because they feel justified.

People can use words like noob and people can use words like naysayer and each has their right to respectfully defend their position. No one will be on anyone's ass. Warnings will be given and posts deleted that have nothing to do with the topic but are just looking to be on someone's ass.

The nonsense with you two in each thread will be stopped one way or another.

Ray with all due respect, it’s wrong to bunch us up together since all the hostility seems to be coming from him. It’s his attitude that allowed him to bring the subject of his a** into the conversation. Show me where I have said anything about him in this thread that justified that kind of retaliatory comments. Every time that I talk about Naysayers in general he takes it personally and feels like he has to defend himself by spewing his garbage.

I am not intimidated by his comments, but if he decides to continue with his bullying attitude even after your warnings then you owe it to the rest of us to kick his a** out of the forum.

PS: the Naysayers always claim that they are trying to save the Newbies from making mistakes, but all that we see from them is negativity, abuse, bullying, and insults and never anything constructive that adds value to the showcase threads.

IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
I guess the bottomline is: The Showcase Threads may have value to some people, have no value to others.

You just have to avoid reading threads that do not concern you, or you do not like.

If a thread does not have value to anyone, eventually it will die.

•••
Does this:
it’s wrong to bunch us up together since all the hostility seems to be coming from him

Go with these?

It’s his lowlife attitude

his lowlife comments

but if he decides to continue with his bullying attitude even after your warnings then you owe it to the rest of us to kick his a** out of the forum.

PS: the Naysayers always claim that they are trying to save the Newbies from making mistakes, but all that we see from them is negativity, abuse, bullying, and insults and never anything constructive that adds value to the showcase threads.
IMO

I have many more opinions on why you feel persecuted but I don't think you'd appreciate the feedback at this point - no matter how well intentioned I tried to be.

•••
I have many more opinions on why you feel persecuted but I don't think you'd appreciate the feedback at this point - no matter how well intentioned I tried to be.

If you always have to make everything personal then quite frankly I don’t give a darn about what you think,

•••
@oldtimer I was not calling you or Don anything negative or bunch you, the two of you seem to have friction in a lot of threads, you can't be calling him a lowlife.

Naysayer and Noob are words that can be defended respectfully. Someone having a negative or pessimistic view of new trends is fine, it is also the definition of the word naysayer.

@eyedomainous Claude you touched on something I was going to post hours ago but had other stuff to do besides this. When we talk about people, we have no idea what they have done, Who knows what older domainers who seem to profess being wise have made.

I have been in enough threads over the years that I know Don (biggie) has made sales, When Brad Mugford posts I know what Brad has sold, but there are many members here, some I like a lot, that I have and no one else has any idea what they have done.

Don't kid yourself there are people who certainly come in to every new trend thread and say sucks, loser, idiots, Who has no knowledge of the topic. If you are going to come into a wearable tech thread for example, you better show some knowledge of the tech, consumuer behavior stats, something to back up your "Noobs wasting money"

Another point about that trend was the person saying they turned down a low xx,xxx offer was another established member, Hawkeye, he is not a noob, Someone is going to need another set of standard replies to refute his talk on wearable technology because Kevin has been around and done sales in domaining.

The other part of this riddle is someone says you are doing everything all wrong, the noob asks what am I doing wrong ? You have to find that our for yourself, I am not telling you. (Which no one has to give away secrets or teach for free, I understand that 100 %) But you then have to understand people with no direction will do the same things, and like JB Lions said that is part of the learning why are we looking to baby people ?

Look these trends are nothing and I have said to Eric here and Adam Dicker from DNF the new tlds are going to be a cluster fuck unless forums get some organization and lay out some rules for, .WEB showcase etc... and a million you are all losers comments that get back a million gfy, .commie, etc.....

There should always be debate, and people should be free to state whatever they like, it also should have some substance, at least some reasoning behind why this trend is just a waste of money. Mocking people will only bring about varied negative responses.

•••
•••

We are here to discuss domains in a professional manner, when you are ready to do that then let me know and I’ll take your posts more seriously.

IMO

•••
Walkie Talkie

Walk the walk

If I want to walk the walk, I think I will need to move from this spot in Africa, to an Sea Island where rich men live and made millions off hand-regs. ;)

I wouldn't need to pay more than $2 to ensure a life of comfort.

Talk the talk but can't Tap and Pay

Some domainers think they are talking the talk, but they are not using an NFC enabled device. Look, the naysayers are still using Blockias. I tag and pay baby... tag and pay. :blink:

A Hand of Poker- Always a winner

Pay $2 for an Ace worth millions. It's called strategic betting.

Last edited:
•••
I have more respect for the players who show their hands and lose, than the folks who claim to be winners but never show their hand. The "Damn, I had Kings!" bit gets old hand after hand.
Maybe that's one reason why many of the past domaining veterans here are no longer posting.

Sometimes all these "showing your hands" stuffs, eventually gets old and tiring too. "sold blahblah.com for $250", "blehbleh.net for $350", "blibli.biz for $80", and so on, day in, day out....

At the end of the day, you'll realize that the only important thing for you is earn money. Do i really need to broadcast the receipt as proof??

And maybe there is also an element of CULTURAL DIFFERENCES. I observed humans in the Asian side are more sensitive with their own prestige, honor, pride, dignity..... Western side humans are more into the practical, straight-to-the-point, drop-the-pretenses stuff, show-me-the-money-and-lets-call-it-a-day....

•••
Jeez, this has all the makings of a religious thread . . . believers and naysayers, insults . . . . The believers see themselves as a support group for their beliefs, but the naysayers see the group as an evil cult. Such is life.

•••
Wow... interesting thread, to say the least. I think equity78 summed it up nicely and wisely in the thread above both on the professional and personal level.

Nevertheless, I have to admit when i saw the heading on the main page "the after effects...", I thought the thread would be about something else entirely.

To me, it has always seemed a potentially dangerous after effect of posting a name in a showcase thread that potential buyers might find the thread and see that the name was a hand reg, or that some one else doesn't like it or even wonder why the seller posted the name in a showcase thread in the first place.

But even if you're really meticulous about cleaning up your act so you never run the risk of a buyer finding the name in a showcase thread, why do people want to post the name in the first place?

I find the sales thread a bit odd, too, but I enjoy reading about other people's successes and I understand the dynamics behind it; people are proud to have made a sale and want to tell their fellow "colleagues". What is a profession without recognition, right?

But a showcase thread? Look at my newly regged domain? What is the point? In comparison, people who buy stocks or real estate for resale do not post their new acquisitions online for other people to comment on them. Why would anyone want to show off their new purchase before they even know if they will make a profit? I'm not trying to attack anyone here, but I'm just really curious about the dynamics behind the showcasing. Why not wait until you have made a sale and then you can post the name (provided you do not have an NDA).

•••
Nice post Havela, you bring up a lot of good points, these points fall to different levels depending where you are in the Name Game.

Most, not all but most professional domainers, that make money, pay their bills with sales and parking, keep their info tight, they rarely buy on forums and if they do they never post sold, they pm the seller, say I will buy and please remove from the thread. They don't share sales with DN Journal for many reasons.

Others want to see transparency, I don't need your permission to see what your house sold for, I can go online in my state and look it up with no problem and for no fee, a friend of mine went out and looked up everyone he graduated elementary school with. Odd to me but he wanted to know.

There are many that don't believe the sales data and call even big domainers things ranging from pumpers to money laundering, a serious accusation but its been made on forums and blog comments in the past.

So see the domain industry has an identity crisis, it does not know what it wants to be, one day its comparing itself to real estate and stocks, yet does not want the regulation or the transparency for that. The next day its a secret society of geniuses that know what few know and want to keep it that way. You can't have it both ways, at least not in the mainstream view of the world.

Newer investors tend to be the ones that showcase everything, I think if you want to have a discussion with people you share data to get data, so that may be why some post.

Then there are hobbyist that don't care, they are never buying a domain from Frank or Rick or even Brad Mugford or Morgan Linton who tend to price more reasonably. This is a game, its a lottery ticket that lasts one year, they got these names for .99 to $3.00 you can reg a lot of names with multiple Go Daddy accounts, but the main point they don't care its fun for them, its their money. I mean if as much care went into supposedly keeping domain investors from losing money as went into helping the hungry a lot more people would eat tonight.

There is also the lack of getting offers and actively marketing names by a lot of new investors so they don't hear the feedback from a potential end user " I used the Google machine and see you got this for .99, why are you looking for me to pay $5,000 ?"

•••
Don't forget the "Showcase your Mini-Site" thread, which i find very odd.

Mini-sites are considered the scum potholes of the internet. Google hates mini-sites. Paris Hilton hates minisites, because she always ends up clicking the ads.

Why you would want your minisite domain discovered easily as a blatant admission of internet pollution, baffles me.

Don't get me wrong. I have a couple of minisites as well myself. But i'd rather keep it under wraps under the radar. I am not inclined to show my cards on that arena.

I even block the Wayback Machine crawler bot from my minisites, to avoid any trace snapshots that they were minisites for years.

•••
Don't forget the "Showcase your Mini-Site" thread, which i find very odd.

Valid points, it's probably not a good idea from a sales perspective to showcase minisites, either.

However, as far as I can tell, the posting of minisites is mainly about getting feedback in order to improve the sites, so it actually has a practical purpose. If you get feedback on your minisite, layout, advertising, etc, you can improve the earnings.

In comparison, posting a newly regged domain has no practical end whatsoever. It's not as if you can change the name if you get negative feedback - regged is regged. Personally, I never read any of the showcase threads simply because I think they're boring. Sales threads have a learning purpose, you can actually see what names sell. Showcase threads are just... well, odd, a bit like 'look at this new jumper I bought on the sales, isn't it trendy?'

Having said that, I do see equity's point about transparency, which is why a sales posting is worth nothing if it doesn't also contain the purchase price. But I don't think newbs showcase their domains to help improve transparency in the domaining industry, there has to be another reason.

Final point, I don't really understand all the naysaying, either. As equity says it's a bit like babying other people. I understand that experienced domainers get frustrated and wish to vent once in a while, but why bother with every thread? It's not like the showcasers are grateful about the warnings, right? :) Live and let live, imo.

•••
But try not to delude yourself into thinking merely talking-the-talk adds more value than the Showcase Trend Data Threads you like to piss-on from the lofty position of 'experienced expert'.

experience does not come cheap, nor is it a lofty position.

as one has to keep abreast, to maintain and sustain.

and though some may feel like their parade gets rained on, it ain't pee that's falling on them....it's just a different perspective.

cuz there are so many who have never heard an opposing view.

So see the domain industry has an identity crisis, it does not know what it wants to be, one day its comparing itself to real estate and stocks, yet does not want the regulation or the transparency for that. The next day its a secret society of geniuses that know what few know and want to keep it that way. You can't have it both ways, at least not in the mainstream view of the world.

don't think it's the industry as a whole

more like some people who participate in this industry, are the one's experiencing an identity crisis.

individuals will try to make comparisons between their portfolios and Re or stocks, when a relative concrete visual is needed, but it's not an industry wide practice

and there are some who have their secret societies where you got to fit in and conform with the norm

not all are geniuses but if they all have to agree with each other to fit in, then in that type of environment, in their own minds they will always be right.

to me, if you can't put your ego aside, to share knowledge and understanding, then you will always get offended by contrasting viewpoints.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back