IT.COM

discuss The after effects of "showcase" threads

NameSilo
Watch

biggie

GreenFriendly.comTop Member
Impact
:talk:

look around the forum and you'll see dozens of 'showcase' threads.

for a newbie, on the surface they seem like new opportunities to get in on a perceived latest trend or an opp to register keyword domains in new extensions, etc and hopefully make some sales.

for the experienced....their non supportive comments relating to the "faults" in/of such plans, from what I've seen, aren't really welcome.

so, if feedback is restricted, along with viewpoints from a different perspective.

then, the net result are threads full of consecutive back pats on/for speculative domain registrations without guidance.

the after effect is/are, those who will benefit from creating these threads and those who loose out thru "participation registrations".

if/when the potential ramifications of those actions, cannot be addressed therein....then you are loosing more than you are aware of.

just saying, don't get 'caught up' in the show

understand who it's being "put on" for

know who the actors are and what "impression" the plan is, to impress upon you.

always seek, and never fear, the most critical advice.

now how many have of you have made profits and how many have yet to make a dime?

share if you dare!

imo...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lost money for most who get caught up in the hype!

•••
These new " showcase " threads I always dmor " do my own research " before I buy anything

each niche be it 3D, Big Data, Cloud and Marijuana I've sold and made a couple of $k in each one picking domains that I know have a great chance making it to an end-user.. and never buying more then 5 in each niche

The showcase threads - for sure you can make $ but it's very easy to get caught up as well - you tend to see " I just regged ... keyword .com $1.99 gd coupon "

end of the day it all adds up...and Mr Parsons loves these showcase threads.

•••
I love this thread already! :D

Over the years, you see prominent newbies disappearing from NP. By "prominent", I mean, they were very vocal about their thoughts and beliefs in that particular "niche"/"niches"as they call these days. Hundreds of posts in one thread. All of their domains contain either "3d", "tap", "big data", "cloud" or a combination of these and other "showcase" terms. Very sad, really.

Thing is, it's the newbies who get hit hard because they think that they found THE golden opportunity of their lifetime, similar to the stories of dudes who who reg'd names in the mid 90's.

Before they can even learn what makes a name valuable, they've blown through $x,xxx or more either by overpaying for weak names and/or reg'ing large amounts of crap.

Sadly, their tragic fates are set in stone, and they eventually disappear into the void of space.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

The showcase threads - for sure you can make $ but it's very easy to get caught up as well - you tend to see " I just regged ... keyword .com $1.99 gd coupon "

Indeed, and the thing is, with all the names they reg, it can't all be at $1.99 because GD doesn't issue tens or hundreds of these codes to enable these "mass" registrations over short periods of time. So they may be paying $8+ too for many of their registrations-but they won't say it.

•••
These new " showcase " threads I always dmor " do my own research " before I buy anything

each niche be it 3D, Big Data, Cloud and Marijuana I've sold and made a couple of $k in each one picking domains that I know have a great chance making it to an end-user.. and never buying more then 5 in each niche

newbs know nothing about 'dmor' or much about doing anything "prior to" for most of their domain related actions.

for you and me and some others, for sure we could pop in and pop out with a few selections, vault em and forget em, until an offer came.

but for the newb......

there are no 'proceed with caution' signs

:)

imo...

•••
Over the years, you see prominent newbies disappearing from NP. By "prominent", I mean, they were very vocal about their thoughts and beliefs in that particular "niche"/"niches"as they call these days. Hundreds of posts in one thread. All of their domains contain either "3d", "tap", "big data", "cloud" or a combination of these and other "showcase" terms. Very sad, really.

It's like the old saying; "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink"..

I think it has more to do with domainer ego, most of us don't like to be proved wrong about our investments, Mobi is a good example of that where instead of acknowledging the obvious, they chose instead to fabricate all kinds of reasons why it would successful, why it was needed, Fooling themselves and coming out on the losing end when it was all over.

•••
What is being said in this thread makes perfect sense so far and all Newbies should take notice of these warnings,

But, on the other hand if there really are some opportunities with some of this niches for domainers to get a few decent domains (such as demonstrated by FX and a few others), then what is lacking is not the ample number of warnings that are being given repeatedly in each one of the showcase threads, but rather the guidance and education as to how to find the best domains in each one of these niches that have the most resale or development potentials.

IMO

•••
What is being said in this thread makes perfect sense so far and all Newbies should take notice of these warnings,

But, on the other hand if there really are some opportunities with some of this niches for domainers to get a few decent domains (such as demonstrated by FX and a few others), then what is lacking is not the ample number of warnings that are being given repeatedly in each one of the showcase threads, but rather the guidance and education as to how to find the best domains in each one of these niches that have the most resale or development potentials.

IMO

This is so true!

Money can be made in any of these "showcase" threads. It just boils down to knowledge of the game IMO.

•••
Perhaps the showcase thread for each niche should start as a discussion thread only at first that explores the best ways of going about getting decent domains in that niche and then turn into a showcase thread later on after people have been educated about that niche (kind of like the brandable domains thread).

IMO

•••
Perhaps the showcase thread for each niche should start as a discussion thread only at first that explores the best ways of going about getting decent domains in that niche and then turn into a showcase thread later on after people have been educated about that niche (kind of like the brandable domains thread).

IMO

A few issues with that...

1. I don't necessarily want to disclose/discuss how or where I get domains.
2. It really goes back to spending the time to learn the craft. Once you learn, the specific niche is irrelevant.

•••

Perhaps these showcase threads ought to have a disclaimer at the top about risk, etc.

On the other hand, hard experience is a great teacher.

The showcase threads are fun and a very vital part of this forum, but there is the risk of creating lemming behavior.

One must ALWAYS do research and not always listen to gurus who may have a vested interest in what they are pumping.

•••
A few issues with that...

1. I don't necessarily want to disclose/discuss how or where I get domains.
2. It really goes back to spending the time to learn the craft. Once you learn, the specific niche is irrelevant.

And that's really the root of the problem, not too many of the experienced domainers want to give out the secrets to their success.

IMO

One must ALWAYS do research and not always listen to gurus who may have a vested interest in what they are pumping.

And the opposite is true too as some people might have a vested interest in deflating some of the showcase threads. (for whatever reason that might be)

IMO

Last edited:
•••
•••
And the opposite is true too as some people might have a vested interest in deflating some of the showcase threads. (for whatever reason)

IMO

:lol: Give one such reason?

•••
:lol: Give one such reason?

:lol: back at you :)

After seeing so many Naysaying posts in each one of the showcase threads it makes one wonder.

Being critical and expressing differing opinions is okay, but trying to put a stop to every showcase thread at the risk of having Newbies lose out on new opportunities to get some decent domains doesn’t seem right to me.

IMO

•••

Through hard experience, I have discovered that the naysayers have been right more often than not.

But, again, these new TLD and future trend domains are always a crap shoot: sometimes you win, most often you don't.

•••
:lol: back at you :)

You know I was laughing at the idea of someone having a "vested interest in deflating" those threads-and not you. :)

After seeing so many Naysaying posts in each one of the showcase threads it makes one wonder.

Being critical and expressing differing opinions is okay, but trying to put a stop to every showcase thread at the risk of having Newbies lose out on new opportunities to get some decent domains doesn’t seem right to me.

IMO

I think those Showcase threads won't be stopped. In fact I think they are being promoted and defended by plenty of people here.

I feel like something hit NP... like some kinda D1N1 virus which spread amongst domainers via the forum.

I see too many bad names being reg'd. And I can't say anything because then I'm a "troll", a "naysayer"... But I'd rather refer to myself as the nameslayer. :hehe:

You basically can't help the newbies. They are destined to walk the same path as those before them, It's a cycle.

I understand that there are those who know what they are doing-but they are the minority. I can count them on one hand, and I wouldn't need all of my fingers.

•••
Showcase threads and domainer feeding frenzy are essential to the domain "industry".

Without scarcity domains have no value. A category killer keyword domain probably has more value once it is taken in many extensions and with inferior add-ons like *online, *web, my* etc. So it is in the interest of those who hold good domains to see other domainers immobilise all the main less-good alternatives to first-class domains.

The threads happen because people enjoy them, but they probably do encourage domain registrations by people following a trend that exists, at the time, mainly in the minds of domainers. The future will tell - some will shop till they drop.

Last edited:
•••
:
. After seeing so many Naysaying posts in each one of the showcase threads it makes one wonder

Being critical and expressing differing opinions is okay, but

where there is a "but", there is typically an ass.

shit falls out the ass, which is sometimes called crap

now they don't mind dropping it, as long as they don't have to step in it.

as their use of the "N" word to negatively describe members opinions and persona, where "year after year" they have put in more work to enlighten others, than misinform them....

is just another after effect of showcase threads.

tag that!

imo....

•••
I knew you couldn’t carry out an intelligent discussion without injecting your usual poison into the thread. Perhaps I gave you too much credit when I read your initial post and thought that you might have changed your ways.

IMO

where there is a "but", there is typically an ass.

shit falls out the ass, which is sometimes called crap

now they don't mind dropping it, as long as they don't have to step in it.

as their use of the "N" word to negatively describe members opinions and persona, where "year after year" they have put in more work to enlighten others, than misinform them....

is just another after effect of showcase threads.

tag that!

imo....

•••
I knew you couldn’t carry out an intelligent discussion without injecting your usual poison into the thread. Perhaps I gave you too much credit when I read your initial post and thought that you might have changed your ways.

IMO

don't need or want your credit

I roll with cash,

when you stop using negative terms to describe members who voice opposite opinions than the one YOU want to hear....then maybe i'll ease up off your ass

however, as long as you have the right to continue to encourage newbs into regging more crap by using words like "great name", while at the same time trying to ... (hate using this word) "blacklist" others by labeling them as naysayers or any other negative term, then I won't quit.

you call it poison, I call it right to know

imo...

•••
You aren’t worthy of a response anymore, I am not going to waste my time with people who haven’t learned how to engage in a normal conversation without attacking others.

IMO

don't need or want your credit

I roll with cash,

when you stop using negative terms to describe members who voice opposite opinions than the one YOU want to hear....then maybe i'll ease up off your ass

however, as long as you have the right to continue to encourage newbs into regging more crap by using words like "great name", while at the same time trying to ... (hate using this word) "blacklist" others by labeling them as naysayers or any other negative term, then I won't quit.

you call it poison, I call it right to know

imo...

•••
Let's get this straight no one is going to harass another member because they feel justified.

People can use words like noob and people can use words like naysayer and each has their right to respectfully defend their position. No one will be on anyone's ass. Warnings will be given and posts deleted that have nothing to do with the topic but are just looking to be on someone's ass.

The nonsense with you two in each thread will be stopped one way or another.

•••
You aren’t worthy of a response anymore, I am not going to waste my time with people who haven’t learned how to engage in a normal conversation without attacking others.

IMO

when you put heat on plastic, it starts to melt and looses it's shape.

concrete advice and intelligent members participated here.

however, since your weak ass attempts to discredit the motive for the thread didn't work, feel free to step off and showcase something else.

and that is just another example of the after effects of "showcase" threads

some folks get the "big head" and really imagine in their own minds, that the shit they spit has more juice.

problem is, I ain't trying to stir their Kool-Aid...or add no sugar

and it's been like that for me, since diz-zay 1

imo...

•••
Let's get this straight no one is going to harass another member because they feel justified.

People can use words like noob and people can use words like naysayer and each has their right to respectfully defend their position. No one will be on anyone's ass. Warnings will be given and posts deleted that have nothing to do with the topic but are just looking to be on someone's ass.

The nonsense with you two in each thread will be stopped one way or another.

Good, because this started off as an interesting thread but I just am not interested in discussing personalities. I am unsubscribing from this thread.

I guess one side effect of showcase threads is bad feeling - people feeling put down or jealous of the better domains. Who gives a toss if you or anyone else "believes in" a domain or extension, it is a buyer who actually pays who needs to care about a domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back