Domain Empire

discuss The after effects of "showcase" threads

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

biggie

GreenFriendly.comTop Member
Impact
:talk:

look around the forum and you'll see dozens of 'showcase' threads.

for a newbie, on the surface they seem like new opportunities to get in on a perceived latest trend or an opp to register keyword domains in new extensions, etc and hopefully make some sales.

for the experienced....their non supportive comments relating to the "faults" in/of such plans, from what I've seen, aren't really welcome.

so, if feedback is restricted, along with viewpoints from a different perspective.

then, the net result are threads full of consecutive back pats on/for speculative domain registrations without guidance.

the after effect is/are, those who will benefit from creating these threads and those who loose out thru "participation registrations".

if/when the potential ramifications of those actions, cannot be addressed therein....then you are loosing more than you are aware of.

just saying, don't get 'caught up' in the show

understand who it's being "put on" for

know who the actors are and what "impression" the plan is, to impress upon you.

always seek, and never fear, the most critical advice.

now how many have of you have made profits and how many have yet to make a dime?

share if you dare!

imo...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
These new " showcase " threads I always dmor " do my own research " before I buy anything

each niche be it 3D, Big Data, Cloud and Marijuana I've sold and made a couple of $k in each one picking domains that I know have a great chance making it to an end-user.. and never buying more then 5 in each niche

The showcase threads - for sure you can make $ but it's very easy to get caught up as well - you tend to see " I just regged ... keyword .com $1.99 gd coupon "

end of the day it all adds up...and Mr Parsons loves these showcase threads.

•••
Great thread :)

It's so true, there are so many of those threads on NP. I lost count after so many years.

Predictive domaining is great in theory but...
  1. by the time a trend is making the news, it's too late to tap the niche, at least on handregs (noobs are cheap sheep)
  2. debate is not always sincere, and too many members are congratulating each other
  3. some members have no clue what they are talking about, and stubbornly resist any attempt to instill reason in the discussion.
And you know why those threads are so popular and keep coming up ?
Because people are late to the game and have dreams, and they want to believe. We are all hoping for a big payday. Such us human nature. That's it, the vast majority of domainers are betting on domains like lottery tickets.
It's the same in real life, people tend to discard or downplay the inconvenient facts, and try to 'believe' things are more or less the way they should be, or they want it to be.

And like 3D said, many of those threads have been launched by newbies who didn't survive renewal time and disappeared into the void of space... but they talk like visionaries and the more experienced (and cautious) domainers are depicted as naysayers or negative members, dinosaurs, flatlanders etc. In spite of having a track record that newbies do not have.

Then, you have people making up sales that never took place...
So yes, it's a lot of fluff and ego.

Don't believe everything you hear or read, especially on the Internet !

IMO...®

•••
@oldtimer I was not calling you or Don anything negative or bunch you, the two of you seem to have friction in a lot of threads, you can't be calling him a lowlife.

Naysayer and Noob are words that can be defended respectfully. Someone having a negative or pessimistic view of new trends is fine, it is also the definition of the word naysayer.

@eyedomainous Claude you touched on something I was going to post hours ago but had other stuff to do besides this. When we talk about people, we have no idea what they have done, Who knows what older domainers who seem to profess being wise have made.

I have been in enough threads over the years that I know Don (biggie) has made sales, When Brad Mugford posts I know what Brad has sold, but there are many members here, some I like a lot, that I have and no one else has any idea what they have done.

Don't kid yourself there are people who certainly come in to every new trend thread and say sucks, loser, idiots, Who has no knowledge of the topic. If you are going to come into a wearable tech thread for example, you better show some knowledge of the tech, consumuer behavior stats, something to back up your "Noobs wasting money"

Another point about that trend was the person saying they turned down a low xx,xxx offer was another established member, Hawkeye, he is not a noob, Someone is going to need another set of standard replies to refute his talk on wearable technology because Kevin has been around and done sales in domaining.

The other part of this riddle is someone says you are doing everything all wrong, the noob asks what am I doing wrong ? You have to find that our for yourself, I am not telling you. (Which no one has to give away secrets or teach for free, I understand that 100 %) But you then have to understand people with no direction will do the same things, and like JB Lions said that is part of the learning why are we looking to baby people ?

Look these trends are nothing and I have said to Eric here and Adam Dicker from DNF the new tlds are going to be a cluster fuck unless forums get some organization and lay out some rules for, .WEB showcase etc... and a million you are all losers comments that get back a million gfy, .commie, etc.....

There should always be debate, and people should be free to state whatever they like, it also should have some substance, at least some reasoning behind why this trend is just a waste of money. Mocking people will only bring about varied negative responses.

•••
I love this thread already! :D

Over the years, you see prominent newbies disappearing from NP. By "prominent", I mean, they were very vocal about their thoughts and beliefs in that particular "niche"/"niches"as they call these days. Hundreds of posts in one thread. All of their domains contain either "3d", "tap", "big data", "cloud" or a combination of these and other "showcase" terms. Very sad, really.

Thing is, it's the newbies who get hit hard because they think that they found THE golden opportunity of their lifetime, similar to the stories of dudes who who reg'd names in the mid 90's.

Before they can even learn what makes a name valuable, they've blown through $x,xxx or more either by overpaying for weak names and/or reg'ing large amounts of crap.

Sadly, their tragic fates are set in stone, and they eventually disappear into the void of space.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

The showcase threads - for sure you can make $ but it's very easy to get caught up as well - you tend to see " I just regged ... keyword .com $1.99 gd coupon "

Indeed, and the thing is, with all the names they reg, it can't all be at $1.99 because GD doesn't issue tens or hundreds of these codes to enable these "mass" registrations over short periods of time. So they may be paying $8+ too for many of their registrations-but they won't say it.

•••
Sometimes I think there is a little too much babying going on. Just saw the new warning thread, then have the little thing in the Appraisal forum about not taking $0 too personal etc.

But as far as after affects, I think it's fine. Losing money is where learning takes place. Don't deny newbies that joy, that experience. Even long time domainers taste it today. Reminds me of another recent thread, similar topic. If it's people asking for opinions on new trends/extensions whatever, that's the place for it. Nothing wrong with helping out. Sometimes it happens in threads where it's not asked for/wanted. Wondering if people are just bored sometimes. Some people popping in those threads, giving advice, taking a look at their own domains/sale sites, probably shouldn't be giving advice anyway. Picking bad domains can happen across the board, doesn't have to be a new trend/extension. And again with those, there will be people making money with them, because they just pick domains that make sense/work.

This has to do with the new wearables thread I guess. New things coming down the line, people want to talk about it, even tho wearable tech has been around for awhile, calculator watches in the 80's, stuff before and after that. Maybe a few wearable domains will sell, the brandable ones or the few that actually make sense, but money is probably more on the specific wearable that doesn't have the word wearable anywhere in it, than some general domain.

•••
Wow... interesting thread, to say the least. I think equity78 summed it up nicely and wisely in the thread above both on the professional and personal level.

Nevertheless, I have to admit when i saw the heading on the main page "the after effects...", I thought the thread would be about something else entirely.

To me, it has always seemed a potentially dangerous after effect of posting a name in a showcase thread that potential buyers might find the thread and see that the name was a hand reg, or that some one else doesn't like it or even wonder why the seller posted the name in a showcase thread in the first place.

But even if you're really meticulous about cleaning up your act so you never run the risk of a buyer finding the name in a showcase thread, why do people want to post the name in the first place?

I find the sales thread a bit odd, too, but I enjoy reading about other people's successes and I understand the dynamics behind it; people are proud to have made a sale and want to tell their fellow "colleagues". What is a profession without recognition, right?

But a showcase thread? Look at my newly regged domain? What is the point? In comparison, people who buy stocks or real estate for resale do not post their new acquisitions online for other people to comment on them. Why would anyone want to show off their new purchase before they even know if they will make a profit? I'm not trying to attack anyone here, but I'm just really curious about the dynamics behind the showcasing. Why not wait until you have made a sale and then you can post the name (provided you do not have an NDA).

•••
getting back to the topic - the after effects..
i love showcase threads - i learned a lot from many experienced members posting there their opinions, sharing sales, etc.
..nothing helped me more than showcase threads in my learning, indeed - i started 2 years ago with hand regs like webcloudservices.biz and the likes...
nowadays i often feel sorry for 5+ years old members posting their wearable/nfc/bigdata/etc fresh regs but that sometimes also makes me proud of my own regs, at least some of them (not necessarily related to the thread topic - i dont have any nfc or wearables e.g.).. i like that feeling, and it helps me gauge my progress (i'm far from being happy with my portfolio, nor do i rate myself anywhere close to being an expert)
on the other hand good quality regs that still happen to occur do give me a lot of inspiration and new ideas for totally different niches. that's an indispensable thing

in short: naysayers and positivists alike - please keep posting and sharing in showcase threads, you've got readers, you add a lot of value to this forum :) peace

•••
The nice thing about Showcase Trend threads is folks SHOW their hand.

The fact that they show their hand adds priceless value to the domain market, and each showcase trend namespace, because it produces trackable market data.

Of course, most hands are losers... so its easy to sit back, look at past data, and say those that showed their hand and lost don't know how to play the game... so they are no longer here. The problem with that is logging-in is not the standard of success. Showing your "winner's" hand is.

I have more respect for the players who show their hands and lose, than the folks who claim to be winners but never show their hand. The "Damn, I had Kings!" bit gets old hand after hand.

If your strategy is buying ($450 dollar) names in the aftermarket, then start an After Market Showcase thread and post the names, so members see your hand -and can track the drops or sales. THEN we can compare the ROI against comparable trend handregs in that namespace.

Same thing goes for the sales posted in Showcase Trend threads. Its easy to say they are not real. Even when proof is posted (then its.. "What its parked?", or "Show me your bank statement". But where are YOUR posted sales, with (Escrow doc caliber) proof, to back-up your better-than-thou position?

In business, when you repeatedly say you have a better mousetrap... its put-up or shut-up. If you can't put-up and you won't shut-up... then your "Talking the talk without walking the walk". To put it politely.

It is a business forum, so mega-posters will 'Talk the talk". That's what they do best, and there is some value in that.

But try not to delude yourself into thinking merely talking-the-talk adds more value than the Showcase Trend Data Threads you like to piss-on from the lofty position of 'experienced expert'.

•••
Over the years, you see prominent newbies disappearing from NP. By "prominent", I mean, they were very vocal about their thoughts and beliefs in that particular "niche"/"niches"as they call these days. Hundreds of posts in one thread. All of their domains contain either "3d", "tap", "big data", "cloud" or a combination of these and other "showcase" terms. Very sad, really.

It's like the old saying; "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink"..

I think it has more to do with domainer ego, most of us don't like to be proved wrong about our investments, Mobi is a good example of that where instead of acknowledging the obvious, they chose instead to fabricate all kinds of reasons why it would successful, why it was needed, Fooling themselves and coming out on the losing end when it was all over.

•••
What is being said in this thread makes perfect sense so far and all Newbies should take notice of these warnings,

But, on the other hand if there really are some opportunities with some of this niches for domainers to get a few decent domains (such as demonstrated by FX and a few others), then what is lacking is not the ample number of warnings that are being given repeatedly in each one of the showcase threads, but rather the guidance and education as to how to find the best domains in each one of these niches that have the most resale or development potentials.

IMO

•••
•••
And the opposite is true too as some people might have a vested interest in deflating some of the showcase threads. (for whatever reason)

IMO

:lol: Give one such reason?

•••
:lol: back at you :)

You know I was laughing at the idea of someone having a "vested interest in deflating" those threads-and not you. :)

After seeing so many Naysaying posts in each one of the showcase threads it makes one wonder.

Being critical and expressing differing opinions is okay, but trying to put a stop to every showcase thread at the risk of having Newbies lose out on new opportunities to get some decent domains doesn’t seem right to me.

IMO

I think those Showcase threads won't be stopped. In fact I think they are being promoted and defended by plenty of people here.

I feel like something hit NP... like some kinda D1N1 virus which spread amongst domainers via the forum.

I see too many bad names being reg'd. And I can't say anything because then I'm a "troll", a "naysayer"... But I'd rather refer to myself as the nameslayer. :hehe:

You basically can't help the newbies. They are destined to walk the same path as those before them, It's a cycle.

I understand that there are those who know what they are doing-but they are the minority. I can count them on one hand, and I wouldn't need all of my fingers.

•••
The "Showcase threads" and the "Report completed domain sales thread" should combined into one single thread.

The "Bull$hit Thread".

:)

•••
I have more respect for the players who show their hands and lose, than the folks who claim to be winners but never show their hand. The "Damn, I had Kings!" bit gets old hand after hand.
Maybe that's one reason why many of the past domaining veterans here are no longer posting.

Sometimes all these "showing your hands" stuffs, eventually gets old and tiring too. "sold blahblah.com for $250", "blehbleh.net for $350", "blibli.biz for $80", and so on, day in, day out....

At the end of the day, you'll realize that the only important thing for you is earn money. Do i really need to broadcast the receipt as proof??

And maybe there is also an element of CULTURAL DIFFERENCES. I observed humans in the Asian side are more sensitive with their own prestige, honor, pride, dignity..... Western side humans are more into the practical, straight-to-the-point, drop-the-pretenses stuff, show-me-the-money-and-lets-call-it-a-day....

•••
These new " showcase " threads I always dmor " do my own research " before I buy anything

each niche be it 3D, Big Data, Cloud and Marijuana I've sold and made a couple of $k in each one picking domains that I know have a great chance making it to an end-user.. and never buying more then 5 in each niche

:talk:

newbs know nothing about 'dmor' or much about doing anything "prior to" for most of their domain related actions.

for you and me and some others, for sure we could pop in and pop out with a few selections, vault em and forget em, until an offer came.

but for the newb......

there are no 'proceed with caution' signs

:)

imo...

•••
What is being said in this thread makes perfect sense so far and all Newbies should take notice of these warnings,

But, on the other hand if there really are some opportunities with some of this niches for domainers to get a few decent domains (such as demonstrated by FX and a few others), then what is lacking is not the ample number of warnings that are being given repeatedly in each one of the showcase threads, but rather the guidance and education as to how to find the best domains in each one of these niches that have the most resale or development potentials.

IMO

This is so true!

Money can be made in any of these "showcase" threads. It just boils down to knowledge of the game IMO.

•••
Perhaps the showcase thread for each niche should start as a discussion thread only at first that explores the best ways of going about getting decent domains in that niche and then turn into a showcase thread later on after people have been educated about that niche (kind of like the brandable domains thread).

IMO

A few issues with that...

1. I don't necessarily want to disclose/discuss how or where I get domains.
2. It really goes back to spending the time to learn the craft. Once you learn, the specific niche is irrelevant.

•••

Through hard experience, I have discovered that the naysayers have been right more often than not.

But, again, these new TLD and future trend domains are always a crap shoot: sometimes you win, most often you don't.

•••
Showcase threads and domainer feeding frenzy are essential to the domain "industry".

Without scarcity domains have no value. A category killer keyword domain probably has more value once it is taken in many extensions and with inferior add-ons like *online, *web, my* etc. So it is in the interest of those who hold good domains to see other domainers immobilise all the main less-good alternatives to first-class domains.

The threads happen because people enjoy them, but they probably do encourage domain registrations by people following a trend that exists, at the time, mainly in the minds of domainers. The future will tell - some will shop till they drop.

Last edited:
•••
Let's get this straight no one is going to harass another member because they feel justified.

People can use words like noob and people can use words like naysayer and each has their right to respectfully defend their position. No one will be on anyone's ass. Warnings will be given and posts deleted that have nothing to do with the topic but are just looking to be on someone's ass.

The nonsense with you two in each thread will be stopped one way or another.

•••
I never realized a lot of you people are very affected by these "showcase" threads.

I have checked these threads in the past, like the showcase your "pot" thread, or "solar" thread. I never got the hang out of people posting what marijuana domains they just regged recently. It's not YOUR domain. So what am i supposed to do? Reg my own marijane .com??? And the biggest myth is just because someone sold a "solar" domain, it doesn't mean you can find your own buyer for your own solar stuffs. So what value do you get to see someone saying i regged this Wearable Crowd Cloud Pot domain?

Are you supposed to do a copycat reg of that same domain?

And of all the domains getting posted on the "showcase" threads, how many of them actually got sold, and how many of them eventually got dropped?

•••
I guess the bottomline is: The Showcase Threads may have value to some people, have no value to others.

You just have to avoid reading threads that do not concern you, or you do not like.

If a thread does not have value to anyone, eventually it will die.

•••
Does this:
it’s wrong to bunch us up together since all the hostility seems to be coming from him

Go with these?

It’s his lowlife attitude

his lowlife comments

but if he decides to continue with his bullying attitude even after your warnings then you owe it to the rest of us to kick his a** out of the forum.

PS: the Naysayers always claim that they are trying to save the Newbies from making mistakes, but all that we see from them is negativity, abuse, bullying, and insults and never anything constructive that adds value to the showcase threads.
IMO

I have many more opinions on why you feel persecuted but I don't think you'd appreciate the feedback at this point - no matter how well intentioned I tried to be.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back