Dynadot

news That Frank Schilling Prediction about dot COM Was WRONG, Surprised?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Frank Schilling made a bad decision early (before the new gTLDs even launched) to abandon his core constituency and join other new gTLD hucksters--registry operators--as well as some current and former ICANN Directors, Officers and staff, and other fellow travellers, in utilizing a new gTLD marketing strategy of going negative against the legacy gTLDs, particularly the market dominant .COM.

It didn't work.

Read more: http://www.domainmondo.com/2015/12/that-frank-schilling-prediction-about.html

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
------------------IMHO, the past 20 will be nothing like the next 20. Has anyone wondered WHY Rick Schwartz and Mike Berkens are selling off valuable assets? Does they know something you haven't figured out?

Berkens was pretty clear in his post unless you doubt what he said. Having a loved one with health issues myself if I could have the same in as clean a ash as he did, I'd be out too I think.

And Rick selling a few names is done sign of the end? Doubt it. That's like saying Apple is over if Ive sells 5 shares.

•••
---------

Who is talking about 'demise'? There is no way it is going to grow. There are only X 2-3 letter one word domains. They are all owned. WHY would you be in an industry that can not grow AND you can't afford to participate in? Great RS can sell to A.R and he can sell to M.B. That sound like fun.

Yea its not fun counting your millions!

•••
Some cctlds aren't that popular but yet when combined with a keyword, people pay thousands. Twitter payed 50k for me.dm

Stick to domain names that make sense and you could never go wrong even if the gtld has only few registrations.

•••
Frank is a wise man and have huge experience, this article is really nothing, he created the registry maybe because of the change in domain names and his registry is successful, also com sales can be related to new domainers and general boost in the industry again because of that change, so you blame who exactly ? waiting 1 or 3 years is not the point, 1kw dm's are limited everywhere, so cool down and appreciate new year s eve

•••
I think about a few things when looking at .com vs new TLDs:
  • short new TLDs (one, two word) are valuable if a market exists behind it.
  • .coms can be keyword or branded with much higher perceived value than other TLDs.
  • long tail new TLDs are mostly trash, while long tail .coms with keywords are of value.
valuabledomains.com < valuable.domains in my opinion.

•••
4 hours away from 2016 and we're still having a gTLD discussion? :xf.rolleyes:

If the keyword+extension makes sense as a phrase it's good, if extension has no relevance to the keyword has to carry the value alone.

Just think Hotels.Ninja versus book.club - you know which one is terrible. What could go with .Ninja that would justify it being a an entire registry!?!?!

This was clearly marketing, nobody really thought these were a good investment in any way, shape, or form.

The only situation where these would be valuable is if the extension itself became a trusted familiar destination for users. Unfortunately these extensions are being used as cheap spam warehouses of all kinds.

The typical web user recognizes most gTLD's as fraudulent destinations. This has all happened before with other releases of new extensions - how could anyone think anything different, unless they were financially motivated - as in this case.

•••
4 hours away from 2016 and we're still having a gTLD discussion? :xf.rolleyes:

If the keyword+extension makes sense as a phrase it's good, if extension has no relevance to the keyword has to carry the value alone.

Just think Hotels.Ninja versus book.club - you know which one is terrible. What could go with .Ninja that would justify it being a an entire registry!?!?!

This was clearly marketing, nobody really thought these were a good investment in any way, shape, or form.

The only situation where these would be valuable is if the extension itself became a trusted familiar destination for users. Unfortunately these extensions are being used as cheap spam warehouses of all kinds.

The typical web user recognizes most gTLD's as fraudulent destinations. This has all happened before with other releases of new extensions - how could anyone think anything different, unless they were financially motivated - as in this case.
The dot .ninja is great for tech related websites.
e.g.:
CPU.ninja
Wearable.ninja
Application.ninja
Gallery.ninja

PCs.ninja
MobileApps.ninja
CellPhones.ninja
MobilePhones.ninja
etc..

•••
The dot .ninja is great for tech related websites.
e.g.:
CPU.ninja
Wearable.ninja
Application.ninja
Gallery.ninja

PCs.ninja
MobileApps.ninja
CellPhones.ninja
MobilePhones.ninja
etc..

I hear ya, I think that just lends to what my POV on this is...

If the keyword+extension makes sense as a phrase it's good, if extension has no relevance to the keyword [the keyword] has to carry the value alone.

These are all pretty strong keywords.

In my opinion, there aren't many strong tech related keywords that can justify the existence of an entire registry - or keep it afloat.

•••
.ninja imo is as lame as they come...

Happy New Year!

•••
Th
I do however believe that any time a domain name is developed, sooner or later, the owner wants .com. When that changes, then .com will no longer be king. I don't see that happening ever.
This is exactly my problem. Almost always a developed new gtld winds up looking to buy the .com version. I think .com and cctlds will be the ones to continue growing. But then again, I may be wrong. These are uncharted waters. Hedge your bets is all I can tell y'all. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

•••
Th

This is exactly my problem. Almost always a developed new gtld winds up looking to buy the .com version. I think .com and cctlds will be the ones to continue growing. But then again, I may be wrong. These are uncharted waters. Hedge your bets is all I can tell y'all. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
-------------------
You'd be crazy to NOT buy the .com, IF it's available. The .com probabaly will be cheaper if you are trying to hand reg.Chances are it will not be and domain hacks and STD are fun and can be really valuable if done well.

•••
Th

Yes...Every domain journey has brought me back to what the chinese know..short, patterned .com and cctld.. Residents of every country will some day want a domain.. gtlds are more like vanity numbers, they will sell some too.

•••
Every domain name search starts with looking at the .com column.

•••
Yes...Every domain journey has brought me back to what the chinese know..short, patterned .com and cctld.. Residents of every country will some day want a domain.. gtlds are more like vanity numbers, they will sell some too.
You put it very eloquently. I couldn't agree more.

•••
•••
Hey Frank..If your reading these posts..Take the time to wish everyone a happy new year at namepros as we all wish you the same..Stay safe and peace!

•••
I have a request...

Can someone please explain why the three letters "com" (which isn't even a real word, btw) makes a domain so valuable. Please try and do so without referencing its familiarity to the everyday internet user.

Thanks,

•••
I have a request...

Can someone please explain why the three letters "com" (which isn't even a real word, btw) makes a domain so valuable. Please try and do so without referencing its familiarity to the everyday internet user.

Thanks,

Can somebody please explain why people like sex, without mentioning how it feels good.

•••
I have a request...

Thanks,
Because they are Acronyms .The 3 letters shorten the actual meaning ..And are easier to remember.

•••
Can somebody please explain why people like sex, without mentioning how it feels good.

Can't do it ;)
Thanks for proving my point though!

•••
Can't do it ;)
Thanks for proving my point though!

You didn't make any point, you posted something ridiculous. Why .com is valuable has been gone over to death, it's something you should know if you're in the business. People not in this business can grasp that.

"Familiarity on its own is usually not a great reason for long term investments."

Actually it is. People know it. It's not something you have to explain to people, .com. There's value in that. It's going to be a problem for many investing in new gtlds. You have a feeling this is a second coming, or you're going to miss out, but that's just getting sucked into marketing.

Last edited:
•••
You didn't make any point, you posted something ridiculous.

fair enough, then joking aside, care to provide me with an actual explanation then? Again, please refrain from referencing .coms familiarity to the general public.

•••
•••
"Familiarity on its own is usually not a great reason for long term investments."

Actually it is. People know it. It's not something you have to explain to people, .com. There's value in that. It's going to be a problem for many investing in new gtlds.

We agree then, aside from our ideas of short term vs long term.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back