IT.COM

news That Frank Schilling Prediction about dot COM Was WRONG, Surprised?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Frank Schilling made a bad decision early (before the new gTLDs even launched) to abandon his core constituency and join other new gTLD hucksters--registry operators--as well as some current and former ICANN Directors, Officers and staff, and other fellow travellers, in utilizing a new gTLD marketing strategy of going negative against the legacy gTLDs, particularly the market dominant .COM.

It didn't work.

Read more: http://www.domainmondo.com/2015/12/that-frank-schilling-prediction-about.html

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You take it for what it is. I always considered those predictions as marketing. He sells new gtlds, so his opinion on it should be obvious. You're not going to crap on something you're selling. Anybody that's active in the Aftermarket, knows he buys .coms all day long. Where you put your money tells the truth.

Last edited:
•••
good, lose faith in the new gtlds, more drops for me!!

•••
good, lose faith in the new gtlds, more drops for me!!
You keep catching. I won't be dropping because no knockoffs exist in my accounts.

•••
•••
I sense the emergence of the New GTLD domainers VS the Good Old .com Domainers =-D I am big on .com and the fact is that it is still king but at the same time some new GTLDs do have some value. Just because .com is king does not mean any other domains are pure crap. I just believe everyone has their preference.

- Will

•••
example.com versus example.whatever = .com wins

exampledomainbecauseIcantgettheoriginal.com versus example.whatever = .whatever wins

•••
example.com versus example.whatever = .com wins

exampledomainbecauseIcantgettheoriginal.com versus example.whatever = .whatever wins
----------------- I think they both win. They probably are not the same customer ONE word .com will be very expensive. We are expanding the market with the new extensions to customers worldwide that need a new domain for a project. they may spend a few thousands but not XXX,XXX ++

•••
.com is king quite simply because it is familiar. Great for now, but familiarities almost always change over time. Frank Schillings only mistake was thinking that change would happen so damn quickly when traditionally change is slow but also steady. Familiarity on its own is usually not a great reason for long term investments. Not to say I don't also invest in .com, but I'm not banking on things staying the way they are now, that's how you get passed up and miss out on great opportunities.

Last edited:
•••
I do however believe that any time a domain name is developed, sooner or later, the owner wants .com. When that changes, then .com will no longer be king. I don't see that happening ever.

•••
I do however believe that any time a domain name is developed, sooner or later, the owner wants .com. When that changes, then .com will no longer be king. I don't see that happening ever.
---------------------
I want a Mercedes. That isn't the point. Very few companies will become large enough to afford a domain for $XXX,XXX++ OR by the time they can, they have already branded their original domain. Forgive me but everyone is talking like they KNOW what is going to happen. WE have never been here before with thousands of new extensions,. We are living in a new paradigm where voice search will become the norm. There will not be type in traffic. No one is going to remember the extension when Google has hundreds of choices when you want flowers. ???. HOW they are going to handle it is anyone guess.

•••
---------------------
I want a Mercedes. That isn't the point. Very few companies will become large enough to afford a domain for $XXX,XXX++ OR by the time they can, they have already branded their original domain. Forgive me but everyone is talking like they KNOW what is going to happen. WE have never been here before with thousands of new extensions,. We are living in a new paradigm where voice search will become the norm. There will not be type in traffic. No one is going to remember the extension when Google has hundreds of choices when you want flowers. ???. HOW they are going to handle it is anyone guess.
We just don't know.

•••
Interesting discussion. If someone invested with 10-20 year view, it is difficult to predict. Being a 5-10 year investor, I decided not take risk with new gTLDs.

•••
Interesting discussion. If someone invested with 10-20 year view, it is difficult to predict. Being a 5-10 year investor, I decided not take risk with new gTLDs.
so you only have .com and cctld?

•••
------------------IMHO, the past 20 will be nothing like the next 20. Has anyone wondered WHY Rick Schwartz and Mike Berkens are selling off valuable assets? Does they know something you haven't figured out?

•••
------------------IMHO, the past 20 will be nothing like the next 20. Has anyone wondered WHY Rick Schwartz and Mike Berkens are selling off valuable assets? Does they know something you haven't figured out?

I am not that intelligent. Basing on my limited skills and knowledge (along with limited money resources), I decided to stick to .com. I may be wrong!

Last edited:
•••
Ngtld definitely needs its iphone introduction moment.

Can anyone think of a breakthrough or revolutionary way for people to use domain names?

Other than a big breakthrough in domaining or heavy marketing, it is gonna be a slow one before prime time.

•••
•••
•••
Man every week its the same dot com vs dot ???!

Mr fs will make millions off of all the new extensions for years to come and I'm certain he's not too concerned what survives and doesn't!
He is loaded with dot com in portfolio and that's all that counts in the end IMO.

The rest of the extensions are simply gravy if they last and are reregged yearly for guys like him.

Every extension can drop off the face of the earth and dot com will be left standing period!

The only reason people's push the other extensions is because they don't own the com, never will and hope to get into some big $$ like fds or rs did years ago but those days are long gone if you don't already own 2 or 3 l/ n com or premium single word generic com domains.

If any of u think xyz, Wang, co, net, etc etc will topple dot Kong u are delusional and simply a dreamer .

$$ will be made in other extensions for sure but in time what extensions will last or not will always be left in wake of dot com!

•••
.com will always be king but few people have made great sales with new gtlds.

•••

I'd be selling too if 1 domain can make me $1 million I paid around $1000 for fees for! Wouldn't u?

Trend is your friend sell when market is hot and asians are spending millions on domains now!

It has nothing to do with the demise of the status of dot com man!

•••
Has anyone wondered WHY RS and MB are selling off valuable assets? Does they know something you haven't figured out?

It could just very well be that part of their lives based on their age (rough estimates no idea how old they really are), Im assuming they both have families etc maybe they want to enjoy their money now instead of waiting another 20 years. If they were teenagers/young adults I could see it being suspicious why they would dump their best names but really if I was in my 50's (or whatever they are) and retired I highly doubt Id be holding on for yet another 15-20 years for an even bigger payday when their names are now already worth 50k-1mil++++.....just a guess of course.

•••
Anybody that's active in the Aftermarket, knows he [FRANK SCHILLING] buys .coms all day long. Where you put your money tells the truth.

This, I still remember the battles for .com domain names on NameJet (his username is "taryn").
All on .coms

•••
I'd be selling too if 1 domain can make me $1 million I paid around $1000 for fees for! Wouldn't u?

Trend is your friend sell when market is hot and asians are spending millions on domains now!

It has nothing to do with the demise of the status of dot com man!
---------

Who is talking about 'demise'? There is no way it is going to grow. There are only X 2-3 letter one word domains. They are all owned. WHY would you be in an industry that can not grow AND you can't afford to participate in? Great RS can sell to A.R and he can sell to M.B. That sound like fun.

•••

Popular this week

• The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back