NameSilo

news That Frank Schilling Prediction about dot COM Was WRONG, Surprised?

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Frank Schilling made a bad decision early (before the new gTLDs even launched) to abandon his core constituency and join other new gTLD hucksters--registry operators--as well as some current and former ICANN Directors, Officers and staff, and other fellow travellers, in utilizing a new gTLD marketing strategy of going negative against the legacy gTLDs, particularly the market dominant .COM.

It didn't work.

Read more: http://www.domainmondo.com/2015/12/that-frank-schilling-prediction-about.html

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You take it for what it is. I always considered those predictions as marketing. He sells new gtlds, so his opinion on it should be obvious. You're not going to crap on something you're selling. Anybody that's active in the Aftermarket, knows he buys .coms all day long. Where you put your money tells the truth.

Last edited:
•••
example.com versus example.whatever = .com wins

exampledomainbecauseIcantgettheoriginal.com versus example.whatever = .whatever wins

•••
I sense the emergence of the New GTLD domainers VS the Good Old .com Domainers =-D I am big on .com and the fact is that it is still king but at the same time some new GTLDs do have some value. Just because .com is king does not mean any other domains are pure crap. I just believe everyone has their preference.

- Will

•••
Oh good, .com vs everything else, we haven't had this discussion for at least nine hours.

•••
---------------------
I want a Mercedes. That isn't the point. Very few companies will become large enough to afford a domain for $XXX,XXX++ OR by the time they can, they have already branded their original domain.
Typical domain sales are low 4 figures and even less than that. Domain names are NOT overpriced assets at all. They are overpriced for individuals maybe, but not for normal, profit-making businesses.
The domains that sell for 6 figures are usually premium generics and the occasional fluke.

I wonder if FS is really sincere, but domainers must always keep in mind that he's in a very particular position. He sells gTLDs. He holds a licence to print money. He can make a profit because he's on top of the food chain.

There is still room for growth in ccTLDs, so my strategy has always been to stick to .com + a healthy dose of .net .org AND mature ccTLDs.
Vanity and exotic extensions make sales too unpredictable.

It's never to late to catch the train. It's often preferable to be a fast second rather than the first mover. Let the other people take a stab first. Sit back and watch.

We are living in a new paradigm where voice search will become the norm. There will not be type in traffic. No one is going to remember the extension when Google has hundreds of choices when you want flowers. ???. HOW they are going to handle it is anyone guess.
Twenty years ago, you could read on SEO forums that domain names would become unimportant because navigation takes place through search engines. The people making those statements all missed the boat. This is pretty serious when you pretend to be a SEO expert but don't understand domain names. This kind of flawed thinking is still widespread. Fact is, few people get it, and this is part of the reason why masses are not ready to embrace new extensions.

Remember Myspace? I do, it practically ruled the internet world as we know it, now its nothing but a distant memory.
.com is king now, no doubt, but its bound to be replaced by a more relevant version, why is com relevant when it means nothing?
Websites come and go, but they still run on .com and HTTP + TCP/IP. Domain names are Internet infrastructure, so this part of the Internet is very stable and moves very slowly. But domain names are also essential for branding, and national pride/identity when it comes to ccTLDs. So I can tell you ccTLDs are very relevant :) Definitely more relevant that the jTLDs (joke TLDs) that icann is releasing in April fool's day mode.

Remember....history always repeats itself.
I can only emphasize this. I've been telling this for years and years. But I know I sound like a broken record. We are here to sell domains, so wishful thinking is not a valid business model.

I am a firm believer that anything can be sold.
Seriously ? You have to make your time worthwhile too.
If domaining was so easy everybody would be doing it. It is tragic that some domainers are trying to sell their new gTLDs but the vast majority of end users do not even comprehend the nature of the product being pitched.

•••
good, lose faith in the new gtlds, more drops for me!!
You keep catching. I won't be dropping because no knockoffs exist in my accounts.

•••
Man every week its the same dot com vs dot ???!

Mr fs will make millions off of all the new extensions for years to come and I'm certain he's not too concerned what survives and doesn't!
He is loaded with dot com in portfolio and that's all that counts in the end IMO.

The rest of the extensions are simply gravy if they last and are reregged yearly for guys like him.

Every extension can drop off the face of the earth and dot com will be left standing period!

The only reason people's push the other extensions is because they don't own the com, never will and hope to get into some big $$ like fds or rs did years ago but those days are long gone if you don't already own 2 or 3 l/ n com or premium single word generic com domains.

If any of u think xyz, Wang, co, net, etc etc will topple dot Kong u are delusional and simply a dreamer .

$$ will be made in other extensions for sure but in time what extensions will last or not will always be left in wake of dot com!

•••
------------------IMHO, the past 20 will be nothing like the next 20. Has anyone wondered WHY Rick Schwartz and Mike Berkens are selling off valuable assets? Does they know something you haven't figured out?

I'd be selling too if 1 domain can make me $1 million I paid around $1000 for fees for! Wouldn't u?

Trend is your friend sell when market is hot and asians are spending millions on domains now!

It has nothing to do with the demise of the status of dot com man!

•••
•••
I think there's a chance for money to be made if you pick the right extension and the right keyword or right keyword hack. Problem is I've seen some domainer's lists and their registering these with longtails like they are .com with 2-3+ keywords on an extension that doesn't hack with the keywords.

Think it will pan out as usual...

Registry gets rich
small percentage of domainers make a nice profit margin by sticking to single keyword or 1-2 word extension hacks
majority of domainers lose as they invested in second tier names and the combo of a second tier name on a second tier extension doesn't usually pan out

Personally I'm old school and own (1) .Domains domain because it's a hack and redirects to one of my developed .com domain sales sites. If I were to expand (which is unlikely) past my (1) .Domains domain I'd be targeting dead on keyword hacks and make it a percentage of my investment and not the majority.

If you register one of these and make 100k+ more power to ya no jealousy here. I'm just standing very well in .Com assets so I don't really need to touch alternatives unless a domain presents itself at the right price that even Captain Obvious would buy. For those longtailing any random extension Lucky Charms for breakfast might not be a bad idea.

99%+ of the domains I've had end user buyers come for in the last 14 years were .Com and the few that strayed most came back for the .Com at a later date. Which is kinda common based on talking to other domain sellers/domain brokers along with reading articles as well...

http://www.domaininvesting.com/namescon-2016-sponsor-spotlight-on-igloo-com/

"What are your thoughts on the new TLDs?

The release of new TLDs definitely opens up the door for more investors, but for the time being it still is a cause for confusion among the general public. For the aftermarket business, this allows for more affordable inventory, but it also instills a sense of .com’s dominant presence. While startups might not want to invest in a .com initially, they do tend to come back for it once their business plan is proven. We regularly deal with clients who bought or registered new gTLDS when launching their business or product and are now contacting us for .com acquisitions leading me to remain confident in the value of premium .com domain names."

Will this shift over time? Anything is possible but I feel confident in my .Com investments in the $8 year range and think .Com will be the top extension until I'm dead so increased holding costs on alternate extensions doesn't make sense in my position. If I was 20 years old then maybe I'd be more open to dabble in some longshots.

•••
Frank might be right. It's just matter of time. The new gtld is on "Laughing" phase right now.
You follow what wise man said,

Clearly Gandhi was referring to new gTLD when he said that....
You can take any quote and apply it to a situation which is not relevant.

Brad

•••
I do however believe that any time a domain name is developed, sooner or later, the owner wants .com. When that changes, then .com will no longer be king. I don't see that happening ever.
---------------------
I want a Mercedes. That isn't the point. Very few companies will become large enough to afford a domain for $XXX,XXX++ OR by the time they can, they have already branded their original domain. Forgive me but everyone is talking like they KNOW what is going to happen. WE have never been here before with thousands of new extensions,. We are living in a new paradigm where voice search will become the norm. There will not be type in traffic. No one is going to remember the extension when Google has hundreds of choices when you want flowers. ???. HOW they are going to handle it is anyone guess.

•••
The price of premium ngtlds, is too damn high. Much of the pricing structures have done nothing but stump the growth of the market. 1.5k-50k per year for renewals is criminal and all it does is push end users back to the familiarity of .com.

Take .forex, $1,500 minimum renewal fee, it's scandalous and nothing short of pure greed.

Random example - investin.forex - 10 years renewals $15,000
investinforex.com - available at BIN for 10k

Oh and the price may go up if we made a mistake and it was actually a reserved domain, better yet we may just take the domain back once we realise our error.

Which would you buy? I wouldn't buy either in all honesty but for the point of the argument it's a no brainer from an end user's perspective.

I own a few and I even developed one but I see them as a complete crap shoot. If you've invested wisely and you've found gems that are cheap to renew, kudos to you, I'm confident you'll likely see a ROI, maybe in 5 or 10 years time when they're more mainstream. If you're sitting on ngtlds with premium renewals, you're burning money imho.

It's a painstaking task to fish out the value in each ngltd so I prefer to put my energy in sniffing out value in .coms. Something else that is rarely mentioned is the fact all ngtlds are generally English words, I feel they have limitations in terms of successfully speaking to non-English speaking foreign markets.

.com is a universal extension that speaks to the entire global market.

•••
I do however believe that any time a domain name is developed, sooner or later, the owner wants .com. When that changes, then .com will no longer be king. I don't see that happening ever.

•••
Has anyone wondered WHY RS and MB are selling off valuable assets? Does they know something you haven't figured out?

It could just very well be that part of their lives based on their age (rough estimates no idea how old they really are), Im assuming they both have families etc maybe they want to enjoy their money now instead of waiting another 20 years. If they were teenagers/young adults I could see it being suspicious why they would dump their best names but really if I was in my 50's (or whatever they are) and retired I highly doubt Id be holding on for yet another 15-20 years for an even bigger payday when their names are now already worth 50k-1mil++++.....just a guess of course.

•••
Th
This is exactly my problem. Almost always a developed new gtld winds up looking to buy the .com version. I think .com and cctlds will be the ones to continue growing. But then again, I may be wrong. These are uncharted waters. Hedge your bets is all I can tell y'all. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

•••
Hey Frank..If your reading these posts..Take the time to wish everyone a happy new year at namepros as we all wish you the same..Stay safe and peace!

•••
I have a request...

Can someone please explain why the three letters "com" (which isn't even a real word, btw) makes a domain so valuable. Please try and do so without referencing its familiarity to the everyday internet user.

Thanks,

Can somebody please explain why people like sex, without mentioning how it feels good.

•••

That was a good link drop, it really was, point taken.

But domains are different than normal investments, and #7 on that list stands out to me the most. Look toward the future. I have asked for an example of value for .com aside from its familiarity (which was basically default) and have yet to receive a real example. That leaves us to argue the question, is familiarity really a good basis for investment?

The internet certainly throws us a curveball on this question so why not take a look at online examples...

Remember Myspace? I do, it practically ruled the internet world as we know it, now its nothing but a distant memory. Why? Because a more relevant version came about, and after Myspace at it's peak was sold for a huge fortune to a very capable company, it was reduced to nothing a year later by a startup with a great vision of the future, a future which was already being defined by it's predecessor. That's how the internet works. It looks like bitcoin may have the same fate. .com is king now, no doubt, but its bound to be replaced by a more relevant version, why is com relevant when it means nothing?

•••
If you're registering random keywords with a meaningless extension then your doing it wrong.

That's just silly. Shoes.com you have no idea what that would be? You want athletic.shoes because it has meaning, as if athleticshoes.com doesn't. You want to take out familiarity because that kills new gtlds. It exists, whether you like it or not. You want to take out the real world and have a Fantasy Island discussion.

It's kind of like past discussions with new gtlders asking, what if these all came out when .com came out. There is no what if. Didn't happen.

Last edited:
•••
That's just silly. Shoes.com you have no idea what that would be? You want athletic.shoes because it has meaning, as if athleticshoes.com doesn't. You want to take out familiarity because that kills new gtlds. It exists, whether you like it or not. You want to take out the real world and have a Fantasy Island discussion.

It's kind of like past discussions with new gtlders asking, what if these all came out when .com came out. There is no what if. Didn't happen.

We're getting somewhere here. We really are. Now that we have definitely established that .com's value is solely based on familiarity (if I may add: due to a lack of choices in the internets infancy), My point is familiarities do change over time, they almost always do. You seem to have the idea that one supreme ngtld is going to take on .com when infact it will be hundreds, which all will do nothing more than serve their own purpose in their own unique way. they will add the relevance and definition to a chaotic internet, and TOGETHER will provide a much needed alternative in an industry which desperately needs it.

•••
The writing is on the wall and always has been.

It's right in front of everyone's face....

How many after market gtld sales do you see between domainers????

And the attempted sales you see are typical yardsale "OMG I need to get my money back" sales.

That right there concludes the future for these extensions.

When domainers cant even give away their registrations to other domainers, the outcome is set in stone.

Remember....history always repeats itself.

The power of greed and the search for that million dollar lotto ticket mentality is the only thing that drove the initial registration period.

And now the aftermath will begin.

•••
kmp6cqQ.gif

white cat - new gtld domain investor
grey cat - old .com domainer

•••
I had about ten New Gtlds. At this point the holding costs are too high, I expect to only keep three ...begrudgingly
------------------------- Unfortunately, that is a big issue for most domainers. It is cheaper to take a one word .com ( taken) and make it a 2 word .com (not taken) than hand reg one of the new extensions. The carrying cost for 5-10 years will be 5-10 as much with little history of prior success.

•••
I gotta go with what is working at the moment, my few gtlds are probably more "vanity names" at this point

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back