NameSilo

Stolen domain: VY.COM finally recovered

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
My apologies for what has become a tediously long post--but I wanted to wrap this up...

Hello again,

Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed constructively to the original VY.COM thread. The domain transfer back to NSI was finally completed today (while the original domain transfer from NSI to DirectNIC completed in 48 hrs, the transfer back took the full 7 days, hrm). I believe this forum was very instrumental in the fact that we did get the domain back, and therefore definitely wanted to express my appreciation.

I’m still very concerned about a few things: the future security of VY.COM, uncovering the thief who originally broke into my Account Manager account, and the fact that (as touched upon on another thread here just recently) an ACK that goes unanswered for 5 days automatically defaults and the transfer goes through.

When I first registered VY.COM, it was held by Internic and there were rather a lot of manual processes involved that were, I think, not so prone to fraud. If I lost access to my email account on record, I had to fax Internic with my photo ID and speak to a real live person to get it back. And I guess the ‘net just wasn’t so full of malicious idiots back then as well. Great wakeup call this has been in that respect.

I’m still concerned that even with Domain Protect and Private Registration on, anyone can still exploit the challenge question on my Account Manager account at NSI and promptly turn off Domain Protect, change the contact of record, and if that happens to be during a 5 days holiday from email, I’ll be none the wiser. NSI finally confirmed that their challenge question database is, in fact, clear text—this means that anyone with access to the servers can plainly read the responses and exploit this TREMENDOUS security hole.

I’m fairly convinced at this point that NSI have someone on the inside, or an ex-employee, who are making a killing off of valuable privately held domain names. I believe the figure I heard was 14,000 lost domains at NSI alone and I’m sure a majority of those were held by private individuals who lacked the resources, knowledge, or tenacity to fight it and simply gave up—something I’m sure the perpetrators count on when selecting domains to steal.

VY.COM was clearly hijacked by someone with experience, someone who’s done this on a number of previous occasions. I believe VY.COM was selected specifically because there is a market for two-letter domain names and therefore had immediate sale value, and because it was held by a private individual who most likely would not be in a position to pursue recovery actions very far.

Domain theft is clearly not sufficiently addressed by our criminal justice system, and it’s a tricky issue. After filing a couple of invalid WHOIS reports, the record for VY.COM was finally updated by someone claiming to reside in Monaco (that his originating IP in emails never supported this fact is another issue altogether). This poses tremendous obstacles in terms of jurisdiction. Even after retaining an attorney to pursue recovery of the domain, and even after preparing our declaratory relief claims, we were still faced with having to track down Mr Vincent Young Fond through his payment records to DirecNIC, and then prepare for the chance that he might claim that the California courts hold no personal jurisdiction over him because he resides elsewhere. Fortunately, it seems that Mr V Y Fond was sufficiently disturbed by the mere thought of litigation (and perhaps the extent of publicity this domain was receiving) to agree to return the domain voluntarily.

And then there’s NSI’s lack of culpability:
“1. Security. Network Solutions does not guarantee the
security of your domain name registration records, and you assume all
risks that the password and/or passphrase you select may be compromised
as a result of fraudulent, unauthorized or illegal activity.”
which strikes me as patently absurd and irresponsible. ‘Nuff said, really.

So very much of this situation remains a mystery, from people who contacted us at private email addresses immediately after we reported the domain stolen, to Mr V Y Fond’s claims that he bought the domain from someone claiming to be Shannon Madison (unnecessary, as the contact of record at the time of the alleged sale had already been changed to someone else), to his insistence that he corresponded with the email address on record ([email protected], which was a closed account at an ISP run by a friend of mine, who checked and confirmed that the account had neither been reopened nor used), the fact that Mr V Y Fond used proxy relays to hide his true location (if he was the innocent victim he claimed to be, why hide?), to the fact that he emailed Giles at his very private work email address the same day we started making noise about the theft…none of it adds up.

I’m just glad we got the domain back.

I’m currently pursuing this with my California State Assembly Member, Sally Lieberman, my Congressional representative, Anna Eschoo, and have contacted the offices of Barbara Boxer (who always seems up for a good fight) to see if we can put some better legislation around domain name ownership. I’m also still quite interested in discovering who is stealing domains from NSI (particularly VY.COM) and seeing to it that this person is discovered and prosecuted.

Thanks again for all of your help. January really is the worst month of the year, eh? ;)
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4187183.stm)

Cheers,

Shannon Madison

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Congratulations and all the best with your foolow-up work to try and stop this from happening again.

•••
Good to hear, Shannon. Congrats!

“1. Security. Network Solutions does not guarantee the
security of your domain name registration records, and you assume all
risks that the password and/or passphrase you select may be compromised
as a result of fraudulent, unauthorized or illegal activity.”

That is disturbing. However, Netsol should be held liable. If it ever gets to court, I think a good attorney can make a case that this proviso is unreasonable, and have it struck out of consideration.

•••
Congratulations Shannon, that was far and beyond THE the most intersting thread ive read, well, probably forever.

Im so glad you got your domain back and it appears you diligence eventually paid off.

I have to agree with you, something is definately wrong at netsol....

Please keep us posted with any developments or anything that you learn as a result of your troubles. And going on what you said, the thief is one hell of a knowledgeable sort. i mean, how the f* did he/she/they learn of your info bar reading it on a sheet of paper....

I would put you up for member of the month if it wasnt that i didnt believe in such nonesense....

But i certainly deplore upon the admins here at NP to re-instate your account/s and give you back all those lovely NP$ we all love sooo much.

Once again, hats off to ya.... (and if you could see me now, i would have just raised my hat)...

(if infact i wore one)

•••
collieri said:
Congratulations Shannon, that was far and beyond THE the most intersting thread ive read, well, probably forever.

thanks, although I'm not sure I'd choose to go through it again for the sake of entertainment ;)

collieri said:
Im so glad you got your domain back and it appears you diligence eventually paid off.

I have to agree with you, something is definately wrong at netsol....

Please keep us posted with any developments or anything that you learn as a result of your troubles. And going on what you said, the thief is one hell of a knowledgeable sort. i mean, how the f* did he/she/they learn of your info bar reading it on a sheet of paper....

er, eh? They obtained information pertaining to my challenge question, presumably through access to the cleartext database. Doesn't take brilliance so much as access and opportunity. What they clearly were, however, was experienced--as in, having stolen plenty of domains before mine. This needs to be put to a rather abrupt halt.

collieri said:
I would put you up for member of the month if it wasnt that i didnt believe in such nonesense....

But i certainly deplore upon the admins here at NP to re-instate your account/s and give you back all those lovely NP$ we all love sooo much.

Ah, can't say as I'm much bothered. I don't really mind about NP$, and didn't have any in any case, as I only created my account here after my domain was stolen for the express purpose of soliciting assistance.

I don't really 'deal' in domains. I have the one that's suited me just fine for the past decade, and a couple here and there for people who've wanted help putting up websites. Don't really see much need for collecting them, and my day job serves well enough to pay the bills. Still anorl, the place seems interesting enough for the occassional visit, and clearly I have a need for keeping up with the extent of idiocy online. I guess I always thought slashdot was sufficient.

Thanks tho, and thanks again to everyone who helped bring this to a positive conclusion.

•••
armstrong said:
That is disturbing. However, Netsol should be held liable. If it ever gets to court, I think a good attorney can make a case that this proviso is unreasonable, and have it struck out of consideration.

If someone is willing to take that on. And if that person wins, that can
set another precedent for practically all registrars to follow.

Anything can happen, we'll see.

Great news, Shannon! Glad to be of help, too!

Meanwhile, as you say, time to focus on keeping it safe!

•••
No ONE person is going to successfully take on NSI. However, 'class action' has a nice ring to it.

Meanwhile, "safe" is a relative function with respect to any property. No amount of protection is going to prevent a determined thief. Whatever we do merely makes it inconvenient to steal, and therefore makes someone else's property more desireable. This holds no less true for domains than it does for cars with annoying loud alarms, or homes with bars on windows.

If there's someone inside NSI who is exploiting domains of some value that are held by private individuals with presumably limited resources, then that person is going to continue to steal domains for as long as they can get away with it, and the domains that will be targetted will be the easiest marks. They clearly assumed VY.COM would be an easy mark. I intend to make them regret that decision.

•••
Congrads, seems to me that the savest thing to do is sell :( but that will not solve your concerns, good luck!

•••
Ber|Art said:
Congrads, seems to me that the savest thing to do is sell :( but that will not solve your concerns, good luck!
Sorry? Selling would accomplish what, precisely? I just spent a month fighting for the return of this domain to save me the hassle of re-establishing a decade of domain stability.

•••
Congrats, smadison. I hope your campaign to get to the bottom of this VY.COM incident pushes through. If you need cohorts for the fight against domain thieves, forums like NP would be a good place to start finding similarly-aggrieved parties.

•••
Sorry? Selling would accomplish what, precisely? I just spent a month fighting for the return of this domain to save me the hassle of re-establishing a decade of domain stability.
I was merely saying that considering you concerns that you still have I could imagine that one a certain point it might be better for your mind and ease to sell than that it is been stolen again (lets hope this never happens again with anyone). I did not mean to offend you in any way, maybe it is my Dutch English or European thoughts :), I too appreciate what you did, I was just trying to think what is like to go through this "hell" again I wish you all the luck!

•••

that would be rather akin to selling your car after it was stolen and choosing instead to ride a bike. and after the bike is stolen, deciding to lock yourself in the house abandoning all forms of mechanised transport.

Bit of an overreaction, perhaps

•••
If you putt it that way, it would be an overreaction :(

•••

It looks as though our old pal booksshop/johndoberman/samdean/ugnali/vincent/NetSolHacker/gmailHacker has decided to resort to threats. And from a brazilian anonymous proxy server (200.207.151.75) this time. I suppose he couldn't resist one last jab. With so many IP trails tho, this is becoming less than challenging. Nice ESL though.

Admin, does this IP match any new (or established) prats on here?

Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 11:45 AM
To: Shannon Madison
Subject: vy.com

Hello Mrs. Madison, had time to email everybody that wants to here your trully sad story?

O.K., heres the way it go's, Network Solutions is going to see if they have a case against you because you have been saying some nasty stuff about them.I have some friends at ICANN in the Executive office and they will see if they can delete vy.com because its registered to a registrant that does not exist. I will not be writing to you again because you have bored me. Have a nice day! To bad we will never meet, i would love to go out on a date , it seams that you and me have a lot in common. We dont give up. Man, the sex would have been out of this world. Well i guess its not in our destiny to be together.

Jack Lemon

--
Full Headers below:

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
Received: from us0exb03.us.sonicwall.com ([10.50.128.203]) by us0exb01.us.sonicwall.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:44:44 -0800
Received: from relay.sonicwall.com ([10.50.128.230]) by us0exb03.us.sonicwall.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
Received: from proofpoint00.sonicwall.com ([10.50.128.215]) by relay.sonicwall.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
Received: from web61107.mail.yahoo.com (web61107.mail.yahoo.com [216.155.196.109])
by proofpoint00.sonicwall.com (8.13.1/8.13.1) with SMTP id j13JmT5C013596
for <[email protected]>; Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:48:29 -0800
Received: (qmail 63023 invoked by uid 60001); 3 Feb 2005 19:44:43 -0000
Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
b=rVktfIU9QKbcPTFHqEgXY57ZkvEYpoOl6Mur/WIHnGDFnaMQyiQF8ALTIOrJm0PdTZ4TsayRvyfwj6MnxDqtBVUpEvgQPFGqAGICfwOmiudiYJ/WdsxLC+mRpSPF8LfipX9xHb2VOf4Y4ODMKflIfiI1omwWVevFzLL/yw/9ZJQ= ;
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Received: from [200.207.151.75] by web61107.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:44:43 PST
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:44:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: vy.com
To: [email protected]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-2122072539-1107459883=:62000"
X-Proofpoint-Spam-Details: rule=notspam policy= score=0 mlx=0 adultscore=1 adjust=0 engine=2.5.0-05020100 definitions=2.5.0-05020200
Return-Path: [email protected]
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 03 Feb 2005 19:44:44.0592 (UTC) FILETIME=[CF7C3300:01C50A28]

--0-2122072539-1107459883=:62000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

--0-2122072539-1107459883=:62000
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

--0-2122072539-1107459883=:62000--

•••
Did you contact NetworkSolutions.com already?

•••
mastodont said:
Did you contact NetworkSolutions.com already?
erm, about what?

•••
Just read the latest here, Shannon. Sheesh, whoever that was just couldn't
resist one last try.

Just keep your name safe. You should be fine.

BTW, how come I can't access Giles' blog to read?

Last edited:
•••
Hope you'll be able to keep your name safe and sound!

•••
It's good to hear your stolen domain has been recovered.

However, I just wonder how come domain stealing is possible.

Just curiosity. ;)

•••

You'd have to read the original thread for the full story, but basically it was done pretty easily. The crook exploited a vulnerability in the Network Solutions Account Manager security question and thereby gained access to my account. Once in the account, it was a simple matter to change the contact of record, after which point the new contact had no problem selling and transfering the domain.

Fortunately, both Network Solutions and the receiving registrar immediately recognised the changes as evidence of a hijacking and locked down the domain while the situation was resolved. And while I did retain an attorney, we did not ultimately have to resort to litigation. After a fair amount of publicity, the person holding the account grew uneasy enough to simply return the domain.

I'm still pursuing investigations against this person and will be naming them directly in the suit we're in the process of putting together.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back