IT.COM

STATE OF THE NEW G'S

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

STATE OF THE NEW G'S - After nearly 3 years of the New G's, are they where they should be?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • No, they remain behind schedule

votes
    58.1%
  • Yes, they are continuing to progress

votes
    41.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
The current STATE OF THE NEW G'S is good!...or is it?

After nearly 3 years into the introduction of New G's there remains:
* Very low 'End User' usage
* Very little aftermarket activity
* Declining inquiries
* Inconsistent registry changes affecting drops, renewals and pricing
* Little to none public awareness

In conclusion, the current STATE OF THE NEW G'S is not good.

(Disclaimer: I am a proponent and investor of New G's, but I tend to have a REALIST view of things)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I hang up on call centers too because I can't understand what the f they're saying. Speak better English! LOL

This is why in one role I had, the process wasn't even to get them to attempt to type in the address bar as 99% of the time they wouldn't know what that was (really shitty ISP populated by idiot customers). We went straight to run in the start menu and got them to type in there. Amazingly they could normally follow those instructions. This also skipped them having to find their browser.

•••
It happens in every new G related thread, like a bunch of cats marking their territory rather than a logical debate. :cat:

What's interesting to note though is that, nGTLD fans are NOT anti .com We just don't conform to sheep mentality and are able to see the opportunity. However the hardcore .com fans are anti nGTLD they feel the need to attack them whenever they can. Almost like an animal defending their turf... one would have to wonder why defend unless you were feeling attacked.

Last edited:
•••
What's interesting to note though is that, nGTLD fans are NOT anti .com We just don't conform to sheep mentality and are able to see the opportunity. However the hardcore .com fans are anti nGTLD they feel the need to attack them whenever they can. Almost like an animal defending their turf... one would have to wonder why defend unless you were feeling attacked.

I don't get it either, I buy and register all extensions.

•••
There has already been a thread comparing the word+word is more valuable in .com, I suggest you go find it, you'll be either pleasantly surprised or completely dejected by the findings.
I think I read that thread, didn't find anything conclusive.

•••
So because he compared the costs of a super premium one-word .com domain with a domain such as business.global his findings are that
1.Word.Word is more economical to own than word.com
and
2. Word.Word is better/more valuable/increasingly more desirable than word+word.com

Here's my answer to
1/ Duh? Does anyone need to include sales to state this obvious fact?

2/ So that is his conclusion based on comparing a grand total of 2 domains? What if I would tell you I could show you many sales where word+word.com got sold for more than word.word? Could that amazing scenario even be possible? And wouldn't that make my findings contradict his, basically that word+word.com is better/more valuable than word.word?

Illustrative and abstract - you want a conclusive in-depth study?(pay someone to do it for you or do it yourself)

Difficult to explain concepts to someone who lacks the basic ability to read and comprehend properly.

•••
from 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromc...t_web_browser_are_you_using_i_dont_know_what/

What is a nGTLD??? Dot What? Business.global.com ???

Good luck advertising any of these new URLs...
I work in a call centre part time as a student. A massive amount the respondents who even bother to answer our calls are over the age of 60, this is just an example of the concentration of demographics using a certain an obsolete median of communication in comparison to another, most of these people don't even own cellphones or even go on the internet. Most of the time we are calling for a company called ORC, look em up, they do your CNN election polls.

So this time, from personal experience I can confidently say your information is highly subjective and unreliable ( I do like reddit though, lots of good stuff there).

Last edited:
•••
Illustrative and abstract - you want a conclusive in-depth study?

Difficult to explain concepts to someone who lacks the basic ability to read and comprehend properly.
Please do a conclusive in-depth study. I would love to see what you define as "conclusive" and "in-depth".I hope it's better than your last comparison ;)

•••
Please do a conclusive in-depth study. I would love to see what you define as "conclusive" and "in-depth".I hope it's better than your last comparison ;)

Sure no problem, you going to pay me $5000 for my time?

•••
I work in a call centre part time as a student. A massive amount the respondents who even bother to answer our calls are over the age of 60, this is just an example of the concentration of demographics using a certain an obsolete median of communication in comparison to another, most of these people don't even own cellphones or even go on the internet. Most of the time we are calling for a company called ORC, look em up, they do your CNN election polls.

So this time, from personal experience I can confidently say your information is highly subjective and unreliable ( I do like reddit though, lots of good stuff there).

either you do not understand internet user behaviour or you are in denial.

•••
Sure no problem, you going to pay me $5000 for my time?
Based on the quality of your last "findings" I'm afraid your time isn't worth much to me.

Last edited:
•••
Based on the quality of your last "findings" I'm afraid you would have to pay me.

Based on your inability to read and comprehend basic English properly, I see no value you could add that would warrant even a $5 payment.

•••
Based on your inability to read and comprehend basic English properly, I see no value you could add that would warrant even a $5 payment.

lol. You are not going to pay each other to do a study.. Let's be realistic :)

•••
either you do not understand internet user behaviour or you are in denial.
I don't think you do because you just labeled an entire group of people as representative of internet users, allowing for me to use my own personal experience to nullify your assertion because it was incredibly flawed and only provided information on a very limited group of internet users. If I didn't work in a call centre I probably would have believed your post but luckily I do and I can call you on your bs, although again, I like that you used a reddit post....there is some good stuff there.

•••
lol. You are not going to pay each other to do a study.. Let's be realistic :)

Lol.. For $5000 I would outsource the study for $3000 and pocket the $2000 :)

•••
I only have issues with gibberish and nonsensical arguments.

•••
•••
Tell you what Deez, this "fighting" contributes to nothing. Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

•••
Because I live in Europe, and I am in a good position to observe the European market(s).
Local extensions are dominant and often preferred to .com (but .com is OK too).

Please understand that I am not a 'commie' with blinders on, I invest in ccTLDs too.

Just talk to real people, for example relatives, clients, coworkers. Show them some magazines where you see advertising for new extensions. Ask simple, neutral questions like:
  • What do you think ? Are they cool or not ?
  • Would you use one for your next business venture ?
  • What if we used one for our next campaign ?
  • etc
What I have observed so far is not downright hostility but indifference.
Some TLDs sure are silly, when I told a colleague that .lol is a real extension - he lolled. What he must be thinking is that those strings are funny but not for serious projects.

Domain hacks are not mainstream at all. More like gadgets. There are few well-know sites on domain hacks, and the most prominent ones have migrated to better names.
To clarify, when I talk about ccTLDs, I mean used in their natural markets, not as domains hacks

I've read this many times on NP. The young generation is supposedly going to drive the gTLD revolution.
How is that going to happen ? The popular sites that the young use today are all on .com or ccTLDs.
IMO it's wishful thinking, and not going to happen by magic.
If you have kids, ask them what they think.

To sum up in once sentence it could go like this:
"OK, new TLDs are not gaining much ground today, but there's hope so let's keep moving the goalposts and hope it will be alright".
Instead, the question I would be asking is why they aren't getting a warmer reception today and what would it take to change the situation.

I think the argument is flawed to some extent. Because pricing isn't the single issue, TLDs are more than mere technical identifiers, they are brands. End users pay for brand recognition. Just like they will pay for shiny offices on Main Street, even though they could get equally functional offices on Slum Alley for a fraction of the price (you guess it: some potential customers are reluctant to go shopping on Slum Alley).

Nonetheless, many domains have been registered in new extensions for pennies.
I think that it's not business lost to domainers, because end users buying regfee domains had no intention to pay a premium anyway.
People always have options available if they want to avoid domainers. The supply of domain names is virtually infinite. Quality is scarce but it's relative too. Plenty of viable domains can still be found even in .com (and ccTLDs).
End user demand is always overestimated.

The same worn out arguments.
I respect your observations of your local market. That's where we diverge. The local market is nowhere near indicative of the Global market.
commies is in reference to admirable unyielding support in favor of a specific mindset vs evolution.
In my world it's rude and unprofessional to attend a conversation you have no interest in beyond a negative view. If you would like to start your own threads and publish facts in favor of your position that would be great!
Real people? LOL
Sorry, most of my time is spent in Silicon Valley, working with defense contractors, life sciences, tech companies, retail, health care, and start ups. In my spare time I have immersed myself in New Gen advanced studies competitions, non-profit board positions, product creation and life long studies of other cultures.
Just 2 weeks ago while talking with my personal banker she mentioned looking for a domain for their side business. She said they gave up "because everything they wanted was gone" After we talked about all of the new extensions available they now have the domain they wanted in a New "G".
A few years ago after talking with one of my clients, they decided to get their own extension. A long time conservative giant.

The New Gens are frikin awesome. They blow the doors off all of the generations before them. Big mistake if you think you know
how they "should" proceed. Unlike Steve Jobs, they don't need acid to see beyond ;)

I suppose when I talk about the New "G"s in my neighborhood it would reasonable to assume I get a very different response.
Ground Zero. Nice perk. Copious amounts of people from all over the world. No shortage of diverse opinions. :)
Slum Alley in my neighborhood produces a significant amount of new products and companies. We embrace any available space !

Momentum is building. I've seen it enough times to trust it. Timing is another factor. Near perfect time in the business cycle short of economic or political intervention. The state of New "G"s are doing just fine. No way are they going away. No way will they fade into the shadows of the legacies or country codes. They will coexist side by side. Some day "domainers" will too.

I do make every effort to back my positions so others can confirm rather than assume what they read is fact
I would greatly appreciate facts to back comments like these.
"the most prominent ones have migrated to better names."
Such broad statements without examples are just opinions suggesting fact.
talking about .lol - more absurd examples. Who wouldn't LOL at that?
Using "serious projects" - are those the only projects that count ?
It would be great if you would stop using the absurd like .LOL to "brand" an entire sector and legitimize blanket statements
You shy away from some of the more "serious" New "G" standouts. Maybe it's too early. I understand.
Lots of people won't articulate until the obvious presents. Nothing wrong with that.
In the mean time I would greatly appreciate facts that everyone can confirm and come to their own conclusions.,
Cheers

•••
Tell you what Deez, this "fighting" contributes to nothing. Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

HAAHA dude.... please read my reply like earlier on this thread to sooo many people.. thats what I have been singing the whole time... it is what it is, some like nGTLDs and some dont like nGTLD's and each have their own merits :)

•••
HAAHA dude.... please read my reply like earlier on this thread to sooo many people.. thats what I have been singing the whole time... it is what it is, some like nGTLDs and some dont like nGTLD's and each have their own merits :)
Honestly haven't seen you say that. Well I definitely agree with you on that.
So there you go, something we agree on.

•••
The same worn out arguments.
I respect your observations of your local market. That's where we diverge. The local market is nowhere near indicative of the Global market.
commies is in reference to admirable unyielding support in favor of a specific mindset vs evolution.
In my world it's rude and unprofessional to attend a conversation you have no interest in beyond a negative view. If you would like to start your own threads and publish facts in favor of your position that would be great!
Real people? LOL
Sorry, most of my time is spent in Silicon Valley, working with defense contractors, life sciences, tech companies, retail, health care, and start ups. In my spare time I have immersed myself in New Gen advanced studies competitions, non-profit board positions, product creation and life long studies of other cultures.
Just 2 weeks ago while talking with my personal banker she mentioned looking for a domain for their side business. She said they gave up "because everything they wanted was gone" After we talked about all of the new extensions available they now have the domain they wanted in a New "G".
A few years ago after talking with one of my clients, they decided to get their own extension. A long time conservative giant.

The New Gens are frikin awesome. They blow the doors off all of the generations before them. Big mistake if you think you know
how they "should" proceed. Unlike Steve Jobs, they don't need acid to see beyond ;)

I suppose when I talk about the New "G"s in my neighborhood it would reasonable to assume I get a very different response.
Ground Zero. Nice perk. Copious amounts of people from all over the world. No shortage of diverse opinions. :)
Slum Alley in my neighborhood produces a significant amount of new products and companies. We embrace any available space !

Momentum is building. I've seen it enough times to trust it. Timing is another factor. Near perfect time in the business cycle short of economic or political intervention. The state of New "G"s are doing just fine. No way are they going away. No way will they fade into the shadows of the legacies or country codes. They will coexist side by side. Some day "domainers" will too.

I do make every effort to back my positions so others can confirm rather than assume what they read is fact
I would greatly appreciate facts to back comments like these.
"the most prominent ones have migrated to better names."
Such broad statements without examples are just opinions suggesting fact.
talking about .lol - more absurd examples. Who wouldn't LOL at that?
Using "serious projects" - are those the only projects that count ?
It would be great if you would stop using the absurd like .LOL to "brand" an entire sector and legitimize blanket statements
You shy away from some of the more "serious" New "G" standouts. Maybe it's too early. I understand.
Lots of people won't articulate until the obvious presents. Nothing wrong with that.
In the mean time I would greatly appreciate facts that everyone can confirm and come to their own conclusions.,
Cheers

i guess that we will need to wait for some years to see the outcome...

My guess is that they will not be popular within the next 3 years. Then 5-6 years after launch they will be considered unpopular and will be mostly shunned since they never took off. No one wants to build on a failed extension.

Businesses will continue to build on successful extensions and avoid the ones that did not succeed in the marketplace.

Either they succeed within the next few years or never. That is my guess. At the moment it appears that there is very little momentum and I don't think that will change soon,

Last edited:
•••
If we were at a bar I'd still by you all a round of drinks... Agree, or disagree...
Either they succeed within the next few years or never. That is my guess.,

That's my plan... Now let me buy you a drink... :)

•••

By your logic
ride.horse should be comparable to ride.com and car.racing to car.com. They are all one word domains right? lol

It's funny how most new gTLD lovers always use the example of the keyword after the dot and say you need to look at the domain as a whole to understand its value. But when they compare it with a .com they conveniently ignore what is after the dot . You can't have both ;) A .com on the other hand is (and always has been) valued on what's left of the dot. You keep saying gTLDs are so different to .com yet whenever it's convenient to you you say they should be compared to .com the exact same way lol

Nah. Sorry you just don't get the comparisons.
your examples explain why our comparisons are so far apart.
No dis intended but ride.horse and car.racing isn't even close to ride.com or car.com
The comparison I would use is ridehorse.com and carracing.com Of course you knew that.
Cheers

•••
ride.horse and car.racing isn't even close to ride.com or car.com
The comparison I would use is ridehorse.com and carracing.com Of course you knew that.
Cheers
Second gTLd post I agree with today. I'm on a roll ;)

•••
i guess that we will need to wait for some years to see the outcome...

My guess is that they will not be popular within the next 3 years. Then 5-6 years after launch they will be considered unpopular and will be mostly shunned since they never took off. No one wants to build on a failed extension.

Businesses will continue to build on successful extensions and avoid the ones that did not succeed in the marketplace.

Either they succeed within the next few years or never. That is my guess. At the moment it appears that there is very little momentum and I don't think that will change soon,
WHOT ? !!:)
"Businesses will continue to build on successful extensions and avoid the ones that did not succeed in the marketplace".
Are you saying some will succeed ? SCORE!
One thing we all agree on is lots will fail, but the ones that don't YAHOOOOO (y)
Thanks Dordormai !

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back