Dynadot

STATE OF THE NEW G'S

NameSilo
Watch

STATE OF THE NEW G'S - After nearly 3 years of the New G's, are they where they should be?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • No, they remain behind schedule

votes
    58.1%
  • Yes, they are continuing to progress

votes
    41.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
The current STATE OF THE NEW G'S is good!...or is it?

After nearly 3 years into the introduction of New G's there remains:
* Very low 'End User' usage
* Very little aftermarket activity
* Declining inquiries
* Inconsistent registry changes affecting drops, renewals and pricing
* Little to none public awareness

In conclusion, the current STATE OF THE NEW G'S is not good.

(Disclaimer: I am a proponent and investor of New G's, but I tend to have a REALIST view of things)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If we were at a bar I'd still by you all a round of drinks... Agree, or disagree...

That's my plan... Now let me buy you a drink... :)

I'd like my Martini shaken, not stirred.

•••
the nGTLDs will not become popular fast enough because people don't respond well to them.
OK Last time,
Both you and Kate argue New "G"s aren't doing well because end users don't know about them.
Now, you claim "people don't respond well to them"
Now, Kate claims " they don't like them" "wouldn't use them for "serious projects"
Which is it?

•••
from 2015

reddit.com/r/talesfromcallcenters/comments/344dkb/what_web_browser_are_you_using_i_dont_know_what

What is a nGTLD??? Dot What? Business.global.com ???

Good luck advertising any of these new URLs...

OH, now i get it.
One example from a call center.
Thanks

•••
I think I read that thread, didn't find anything conclusive.
We will be sure to cc you as more factual information is reported. We like facts. :)
Cheers

•••
Regardless of whatever's been said here between us, I still highly respect both @Kate , @dordomai and @Bram C. 's opinions. Apart from NGTLD's I think your all very knowledgable experts in your respective niches.

•••
In 2016 couple of my new GTLDs got offers @ mid $x,xxx & low $xx,xxx over DNS.
I believe Brokers @ DNS have decent skills, but still both Buyers backed up. Most likely found .com instead. May be, because both domains have "premium" renewals ($160/year & $80/year).

•••
In 2016 couple of my new GTLDs got offers @ mid $x,xxx & low $xx,xxx over DNS.
I believe Brokers @ DNS have decent skills, but still both Buyers backed up. Most likely found .com instead. May be, because both domains have "premium" renewals ($160/year & $80/year).

Yea premium renewals can be a killer to any ngtld sale. However there are still massive deals and innefficiences going on that people aren't waking up to.

For example, I just got a killer emd SUITSFOR.MEN until 2023 and paid like $6, because it was a dropped premium that wasn't picked up again by the registry. I'm going to max it out for another 4 years and let it sit and appreciate, all for slightly under $10. We're in the Wild West right now for NGTLDs, All you gotta do is stay bold and keep vigilant my friend.

Last edited:
•••
I was walking through downtown West Palm and noticed a website development / online marketing office. Their domain is....

Naked.Digital

If that domain or the .Com equivalent were in auction a couple years ago how much would you have bid on the domain? This is the same thing we have seen with .TV and .CO - startups may use them but they are reluctant to pay an investor a premium for an aftermarket domain. So domainers get stuck paying renewals for years waiting for the market to mature. Years later you get tired of wasting money. End users will find something available for regular fee.

•••
I was walking through downtown West Palm and noticed a website development / online marketing office. Their domain is....

Naked.Digital

If that domain or the .Com equivalent were in auction a couple years ago how much would you have bid on the domain? This is the same thing we have seen with .TV and .CO - startups may use them but they are reluctant to pay an investor a premium for an aftermarket domain. So domainers get stuck paying renewals for years waiting for the market to mature. Years later you get tired of wasting money. End users will find something available for regular fee.
Solid food for thought, thanks.
Currently there is no map for the new namescape. Unless you're willing to put shovel to dirt and sweat it out a bit, it's easier to just stay away.
The new G's offer so many naming solutions, that it's way more difficult for domainers to anticipate what to invest in. And exactly, why pay a premium when you now have the choice to not.

•••
the nGTLDs will not become popular fast enough because people don't respond well to them. If they don't make it within a few years, maybe 5 they will be considered failed and never gain any meaningful traction.

we are already 3 years into the program, if something doesn't happen soon, it will never happen IMO.
I completely agree. Time is running out fast, and momentum is not going to last forever.
New extensions are already old news.

I am myself surprised that corporations that have applied for their own extensions have not been bolder and more assertive. 20 corpTLDs have already been abandoned.
Look at Barclays for example. They are depicted as a success story. They have switched to home.barclays, and indeed all the links on their site point to the new extension, with one exception. Look at the screenshot below.

upload_2017-1-15_17-7-18.png

I wonder why.
Their migration took place 18 months ago if I'm correct. But they are still relying on their .co.uk for the most critical section of their website. This is confusing, what's the point of moving your site to your own string if your are going to maintain a legacy presence alongside. It's useless fragmentation and suggests lack of confidence in your branding strategy.

I don't think new extensions will ever be mainstream. There isn't enough critical mass. Don't let the figures fool you, they are hugely inflated and don't translate to widespread quality development or consumer awareness.
After all .tk is the biggest ccTLD by the numbers.

And even if big corporations like Barclays Google etc start using their strings prominently, it doesn't mean that the smaller, ordinary companies will want to switch to alt extensions. What I mean is, even big companies leading by example will in fact produce limited impact. Business owners will think: "OK Google use their own TLD, so what - I don't have my own anyway. It doesn't change a thing for me".

•••
I'd like my Martini shaken, not stirred.

you can have a lager.beer for $2.4k/year

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=lager.beer&search=

I had hoped that at least a warm.beer would be cheaper. not really. $2.4k/year.

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=warm.beer&search=

Ok.. trying a cheap.vodka. $240. Still too much.

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=cheap.vodka&search=

At least inexpensive.beer is affordable with $96/year.

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=inexpensive.beer&search=

Nonalcoholic.beer is probably cheap enough but someone was faster than me.

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=nonalcoholic.beer&search=

what remains for me is a stale.beer for $29. :(

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=stale.beer&search=

•••
Whether or not new g's are going to make it is barely relevant to domainers.

Around 95% of them are unfeasible as part of a viable long term domaining strategy.

•••
•••
Great debate here. Thanks to all. It's been mentioned that "time is running out."...I completely agree and I can't emphasize the importance of that statement enough. The greatest attribute the New G's has is INNOVATION. It's value to end user's is INNOVATION, but it has gone grossly unnoticed and unused. The instant WOW factor is going away, if not gone already. If they can't penetrate into mainstream soon, it will be a slow and painful decline. Many people feel that decline is already happening. Some people are saying, "give it 5-10 years" and it will be mainstream. Usually that is the registry network saying such to keep the income stream. Simply, the adoption rate can't be compared to .com as at that time the internet was exploding concurrently.

The largest industry auction is happening at Namescon, ironically it is sponsored by multiple New G registries. The auction, regarding New G's, will be a complete failure. There is only several names that may sell for anything decent, further showing that the aftermarket and demand is beyond dismal. In the auction, the New G's will not come close to comparing with .com and this is after three years of penetration. At this time there is NOTHING to show that the New G's are gaining penetration or momentum, in fact all signs show they are in decline. Again, this should have been the best three years due to being INNOVATIVE...Something has to happen soon or it's game over...Reality is a tough pill to swallow and I am beginning to digest it...

•••
Great debate here. Thanks to all. It's been mentioned that "time is running out."...I completely agree and I can't emphasize the importance of that statement enough. The greatest attribute the New G's has is INNOVATION. It's value to end user's is INNOVATION, but it has gone grossly unnoticed and unused. The instant WOW factor is going away, if not gone already. If they can't penetrate into mainstream soon, it will be a slow and painful decline. Many people feel that decline is already happening. Some people are saying, "give it 5-10 years" and it will be mainstream. Usually that is the registry network saying such to keep the income stream. Simply, the adoption rate can't be compared to .com as at that time the internet was exploding concurrently.

The largest industry auction is happening at Namescon, ironically it is sponsored by multiple New G registries. The auction, regarding New G's, will be a complete failure. There is only several names that may sell for anything decent, further showing that the aftermarket and demand is beyond dismal. In the auction, the New G's will not come close to comparing with .com and this is after three years of penetration. At this time there is NOTHING to show that the New G's are gaining penetration or momentum, in fact all signs show they are in decline. Again, this should have been the best three years due to being INNOVATIVE...Something has to happen soon or it's game over...Reality is a tough pill to swallow and I am beginning to digest it...

3 years is simply not enough time to make that kind of assertion. NGTLDs are still just that "NEW", things are still in the infancy stage and 2016 marked the first real growth spurt as NGTLD registration numbers have gone up 240% in just the past 12 months, there is your penetration and momentum. In addition to this one isolated auction, for domainers is not representative of the current ngtld market. If anything it shows that ngtld domainers are reluctant to put their names at auction because of not only the commissions and restrictions but also the No reserve preference of the auctioneer. This makes it very hard to protect an investment that has a renewal cost that exceeds the minimum bid for that auction, so its actually a very undesirable auction format for the more risk averse ngtld domainers.

With almost 70% of ngtlds parked, the next clear stage will be end user adoption and development. There needs to be a significant amount of high ranking authority sites built on ngtlds, as well 1 or 2 as global brands using them in face to face, online and offline marketing efforts for things to take another step as multi-level public exposure will yield positive results. The time for Billboards is coming.

Last edited:
•••
3 years is simply not enough time to make that kind of assertion. NGTLDs are still just that "NEW", things are still in the infancy stage and 2016 marked the first real growth spurt as NGTLD registration numbers have gone up 240% in just the past 12 months, there is your penetration and momentum. In addition to this one isolated auction, for domainers is not representative of the current ngtld market. If anything it shows that ngtld domainers are reluctant to put their names at auction because of not only the commissions and restrictions but also the No reserve preference of the auctioneer. This makes it very hard to protect an investment that has a renewal cost that exceeds the minimum bid for that auction, so its actually a very undesirable auction format for the more risk averse ngtld domainers.

With almost 70% of ngtlds parked, the next clear stage will be end user adoption and development. There needs to be a significant amount of high ranking authority sites built on ngtlds, as well 1 or 2 as global brands using them in face to face, online and offline marketing efforts for things to take another step as multi-level public exposure will yield positive results. The time for Billboards is coming.
* Three years is plenty of time to make some sort of impact, it's plenty of time to gain some sort of MOMENTUM.
* The Namescon auction will be highly publicized and will not include any good news for the aftermarket or show any kind of demand.
* The Namescon auction is sponsored by registries that have a vested interest in seeing good results, which won't happen. You can't blame the poor results on a biased auction.
* If registration is up 240%, there should be demand in the aftermarket. The number '240%' includes $.01 registrations, or rather "free give aways".
* The majority of the aftermarket activity is from the highly speculative Chinese market.

•••
* Three years is plenty of time to make some sort of impact, it's plenty of time to gain some sort of MOMENTUM.
* The Namescon auction will be highly publicized and will not include any good news for the aftermarket or show any kind of demand.
* The Namescon auction is sponsored by registries that have a vested interest in seeing good results, which won't happen. You can't blame the poor results on a biased auction.
* If registration is up 240%, there should be demand in the aftermarket. The number '240%' includes $.01 registrations, or rather "free give aways".
* The majority of the aftermarket activity is from the highly speculative Chinese market.

1. Highly Publicized? Not sure where your getting that info from but the only people who know about Namescon are domainers and select end users. This isn't prime time.

2. Poor results? Since when is 240% growth in 12 months a poor result? The market grew significantly with less than half the amount of new extension launches in 2016 compared to 15. In one year the market has grown by almost 18 million registrations, Let me remind you that 2 years ago there were less than 4 million ngtld registrations so you must have a pretty skewed understanding of the ngtld market.

3. China accounts for 44% of ngtld domains, however, I won't assume they account for the majority of aftermarket activity because that data is not available.

•••
1. Highly Publicized? Not sure where your getting that info from but the only people who know about Namescon are domainers and select end users. This isn't prime time.

2. Poor results? Since when is 240% growth in 12 months a poor result? The market grew significantly with less than half the amount of new extension launches in 2016 compared to 15. In one year the market has grown by almost 18 million registrations, Let me remind you that 2 years ago there were less than 4 million ngtld registrations so you must have a pretty skewed understanding of the ngtld market.

3. China accounts for 44% of ngtld domains, however, I won't assume they account for the majority of aftermarket activity because that data is not available.
I won't bother replying to those statements as I have already addressed those points. What I can tell you is that I want the NEW G's to succeed just as much as you. I have a vested interest in them and I stand to gain a lot if they become popular. I also stand to lose a lot if they continue to decline...At the same time, I can't help but to notice there is a major shift in momentum and it's not going the way of the New G's. Simple as that.

•••
I must say I'm amused by some of the stuff I read about new G's, noticed this tonight.

Mike Mann compares a rock band to .com but then continues on and calls new gTLDs imitations.

I don't get how they would be considered imitations...

mann.GIF

•••
I must say I'm amused by some of the stuff I read about new G's, noticed this tonight.

Mike Mann compares a rock band to .com but then continues on and calls new gTLDs imitations.

I don't get how they would be considered imitations...

Show attachment 47365

.com's continued success is vital for Mike Mann's business model. New g renewals would mean he'd have to change the way he operates entirely.

Same goes for a lot of people really.

•••
.com's continued success is vital for Mike Mann's business model. New g renewals would mean he'd have to change the way he operates entirely.

Same goes for a lot of people really.

I get that but imitations, come on... :)

•••
•••
all reported sales last 2 weeks

orthodox.christmas 106 USD 2017-01-13 Sedo
edv.plus 212 USD 2017-01-10 Sedo
sex.city 2,150 USD 2017-01-09 Sedo
4free.online 529 USD 2017-01-06 Private
startup.show 211 USD 2017-01-05 Sedo
black.car 210 USD 2017-01-04 Flippa
lollypop.shop 104 USD 2017-01-04 Sedo
uh.wtf 105 USD 2017-01-02 Flippa
laser.top 486 USD 2016-12-31 HiChina
wangtou.top 454 USD 2016-12-31 HiChina

Got any unreported sales?

SEX.CITY, $2,150.00 not bad, thanks for sharing... :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
ICANN is to blame, IMO, for this slow start. ICANN could use every hundred million they've collected from these new G's to raise awareness about them. That would put new G's on the global stage.

•••
Precisely, what are they doing with the money they collected ?
We are all taxpayers after all, we have the right to know.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back