NameSilo

Squirrel Mail

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

.PJ

Established Member
Impact
I am thinking about starting squirrel-mail.com with Sabrehstng and we wonderd, do you think www.squirrelmail.org the owners and creators of the web mail system would mind? You think the name is copyrighted?

PJ

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why not shoot them an email and ask. It's the only way to know for sure. If you get permission, great. If not, you saved yourselves a lot of headachs, possible legal trouble etc.

You can check trademarks here.

Just my $.02.

Last edited:
•••
ok thanks for that, I have already emailed them so yeah.

PJ

•••
Ill be working with PJ on this site :)

Hopefully we will get what we need to go ahead!

•••
yep, any donations would be greatful.

Thanks

PJ

•••
will this be a free email service or what?

•••
we are thinking of doing somthing like 500mb - 1GB free, well I am and then if more then probly charge.

PJ

•••
Why can't you come up with any other name?
Squirrel-mail.com of course sounds connected to squirrelmail
When you want to provide service, how does the name matters and why stick to a similar name which is already there??

•••
also, you should make it short, like: kizam.com (that was just an example)

•••
the squirrel-mail.com

will be a base for it... we would have other domains running off it :)

•••
It looks like we are not going to offer this service any more :(

PJ

•••
.PJ said:
It looks like we are not going to offer this service any more :(

PJ

What happened? Did they email a nasty reply?

•••
no, they allowed us to use their system for it. Its Just we dont have the time, money or patiance to do it :P

PJ

•••
If theres anyone else who would be willing to take this over, we have the domain plus confirmation of mail package usage from the owners :)

Just PM and make an offer :)

Last edited:
•••
Yep, PM me or Sabre.

PJ

Last edited:
•••
Caveman said:
Why not shoot them an email and ask. It's the only way to know for sure. If you get permission, great. If not, you saved yourselves a lot of headachs, possible legal trouble etc.

You can check trademarks here.

Just my $.02.

thanks for the link :loveyou: *<|

•••
At least someone found this topic useful.

PJ

•••
Even though a moot point now, I would never name a site after someone else's software. If the site became successful, some other software or maybe even proprietary software may be developed, limiting you future possibilities. What if squirrel went out of business. You are then tied to a mostly useless name. Squirrel is hot now, but something else may be in just a few months. Look at webmail scripts and you'll see the king of the hill changes about every 6 months or so.

•••
Thats like saying if ebay collapsed in 6 months, ebay.net would be useless.... it just aint going to happen ;)

•••
•••
Sabre Hosting said:
Thats like saying if ebay collapsed in 6 months, ebay.net would be useless.... it just aint going to happen ;)

I don't know that much about squirrel mail, but I wouldn't put them in the same class with Ebay. Also, you wouldn't be using the ebay back end script to run a secondary site like ebay.net, since ebay isn't selling it's script and would be a competitor in that case.

•••
*sighs*

Squirrel Mail IS almost as big as ebay as they are one of the 3 main cpanel email scripting systems

Horde Mail, NeoMail, and squirrel mail.

So i very much doubt they will go down... ;)

•••
Ebay is not a script. It is an auction site
whereas squirrelmail is a script and since it is very popular it is included in cpanel
But who knows with the time, it gets outdated and we have some other mail script
Anyways, good luck with whatever you are going to do now!!

SAn

•••
Dont know, what do you think me and Sabre should do?

PJ

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back