Dynadot

.tv Sony Bravia Internet TV

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I know this has been announced for a couple of years, but in the last couple of weeks I have noticed a big increase in Sony TV ads promoting their new Bravia products with internet access. Has anyone seen the Sony ads I'm talking about?

I found the TV ad on youtube, but only in french and german. You still get the idea though :)

French Youtube link
German Youtube Link

What makes this even more interesting is this link - https://internet.sony.tv/ (anyone else notice the .tv extension?) :)

Maybe this can somehow help the .tv extension get some much needed recognition and promotion, especially with the changes that took place March 18th.

Sony has announced that its web-enabled Bravia TVs will be coming to the UK in 2010.

Previewed at this year's IFA conference, the Bravia TVs have web connectivity and utilise Sony's rather excellent XMB (as seen on the PlayStation 3) for navigation.

Speaking at Screen Digest's Future of Online Media Distribution seminar, Sony's European Technology Senior Manager Tim Page announced: "Next year, we will launch Bravia Internet Video".

It was at the conference that Page also revealed Sony's stance on Project Canvas.

YouTube announced

It's unclear who the exact content providers will be when Bravia Internet Video launches in 2010, but Page did reveal that 40 providers have signed up to supply content via the web.

He did name-check some providers, however, explaining that Five, YouTube, Flickr, and Dailymotion were all on-board.

Prior to this, it was only Five's on-demand service which had been announced for the UK.

2010 is going to be a busy time for Sony. The company also plans to release 3D-Ready Bravia TVs next year, in preparation for the Blu-ray 3D standard.

Some more info from Techradar.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How strange - and at the same time Sony.tv goes nowhere ........ YET!

Nice story and this looks to become a massive impact on the 'internet becoming TV' reality that is shaping before us!

•••
Maybe this can somehow help the .tv extension get some much needed recognition and promotion, especially with the changes that took place March 18th.

I, too, noticed "Sony.TV" isn't developed and doesn't resolve ... would the new .TV pricing structure (though still unresolved for existing Premium .TV's) have any impact on ™ domain names? :blink:

Kind regards,
Jeff B-)

•••
ThreeD

The more I think about what Sony are doing the more I realise how well it fits in with .TV

Thanks again for the posting.

•••
The more I think about what Sony are doing the more I realise how well it fits in with .TV

I have the same feeling :kickass:

Hopefully we'll see a shift towards more usage of .tv domains in television ads - even if it was something simple as using companyname.tv in the television ads with a forward to their .com.

It would give the .tv extension a lot of great "air time" and we'd definitely see increased awareness of the .tv extension ;)

A good example is Disneychannel.tv! They haven't developed the .tv but they use the .tv in their commercials and forward it to the .com.

Jeff - tm names or not, we're talking about exposure of the .tv domain to the masses. The new price structure will possibly make a big difference to the "regular users" but I don't think the big corporations care about their renewal fees. Corporations working in the media/tv business will eventually see the potential of using .tv in corelation with television ads or tv related info.

Exposure -> Awareness -> Interest -> Demand (Popularity) -> Increase in Popularity :)

It really is that simple!

•••
Thanks for the info, rep added.

•••
Exposure -> Awareness -> Interest -> Demand (Popularity) -> Increase in Popularity :)

It really is that simple!

I don't understand; "Sony.TV" still isn't developed and doesn't even resolve! :rolleyes: :imho:

Regards,
Jeff B-)

•••
I don't understand; "Sony.TV" still isn't developed and doesn't even resolve! :rolleyes: :imho:

Regards,
Jeff B-)

Jeff, I think the clue is in the quote form ThreeD

What makes this even more interesting is this link - https://internet.sony.tv/ (anyone else notice the .tv extension?) :)

- the SONY.TV name IS developed already, just not commited fully. They obviously have a plan.

It's the PLAN bit that is of interest?

•••
Thanks for the info, rep added.

thanks :) All good news for the .tv extension need to be put forward.

Once again Jeff, you're failing miserably in terms of seeing the whole picture here. I don't know how to explain this to you, but I hope the words marketing and product/brand exposure mean something to you. :wave:

It's the PLAN bit that is of interest?

You've got that right. All I'm really trying to say with "Exposure -> Awareness -> Interest -> Demand (Popularity) -> Increase in Popularity" is that once the large corporations (like Sony) start to incorporate the .tv extension into their products (like the Bravia series), we'll probably see a big surge in terms of .tv awareness, demand and popularity.

•••
•••
just connected my new bluray player to my wifi and am being directed to sony.tv to register --- very cool to see!

•••
just connected my new bluray player to my wifi and am being directed to sony.tv to register --- very cool to see!

This type of use is exactly what I visualized when I first started looking at .TV's, large corporations using .TV as an entrance platform to user portals, information, widgets and web related content.

I think we'll see a lot more of that in the future :)

•••
I can't see sony.tv

I can't see anything

www.sony.tv there is http 400 error

where can i connect to ?

•••
•••
Visionary! :)

We will see more in the future.. it is inevitable... snoop knows it.. you know it.. and I know it.

:sold:

RL

This type of use is exactly what I visualized when I first started looking at .TV's, large corporations using .TV as an entrance platform to user portals, information, widgets and web related content.

•••
Looks like some are clutching at straws again.

I remember a while back on the Amiga forums they used to have have competitions, "Can you spot an Amiga (on tv, in a movie, in a magazine), if so post". Some though that showed how popular it was, of course the very fact that people would go Amiga spotting should have been a sure sign that is wasn't.

Last edited:
•••
Pretty much every new TV and Bluray player have internet connections now.

•••

I remember a while back on the Amiga forums they used to have have competitions, "Can you spot an Amiga (on tv, in a movie, in a magazine), if so post". Some though that showed how popular it was, of course the very fact that people would go Amiga spotting should have been a sure sign that is wasn't.

well, don't buy sony, cause you'll have no choice but to visit a .tv 8-X

•••

I think the most salient point here is that you used to hang on Amiga forums... :hearts:

Perhaps some just thought it was fun. In todays placement ads I play spot the mac.. you can always find them on CSI and House. Always the "cool" characters.

I bet Dot on Eastenders would have had one too.

•••
well, don't buy sony, cause you'll have no choice but to visit a .tv 8-X

What is the significance of it though? Someone needs to go to an admin url to register a tv and it ends with .tv, who cares?

For a decade people have been playing the same game of spot the .tv and very little has changed. The level of usage for this to be really "growing fast" needs to be so far above what is actually happening.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

I think the most salient point here is that you used to hang on Amiga forums... :hearts:

Perhaps some just thought it was fun. In todays placement ads I play spot the mac.. you can always find them on CSI and House. Always the "cool" characters.

I bet Dot on Eastenders would have had one too.

Personally I think the Mac in ubiquitous, who bothers to play "spot it"? It is a bit like telling your wife you saw a guy with an ipod on the train.......

I did once post about the Amiga, I think the situation is very similar with ".tv fanatics" who are paying excessive reg fees and may be making poor financial decisions for emotional reasons.

It is fanaticism that drives people to start threads about how they saw it somewhere, as though they need to convince people that it is being used, as though they are promoting it. When you need to try and convince someone that something is popular, something that they have a financial interest in, it is probably because it is not popular.

Do they tell all their customers in the Mac shop that ipod's are really popular, or is that reserved for the Zune store?

http://www.namepros.com/dot-tv/644585-having-your-tv-realization-moment.html

Last edited:
•••
Personally I think the Mac in ubiquitous, who bothers to play "spot it"? It is a bit like telling your wife you saw a guy with an ipod on the train.......
About 10 % market share is ubiquitous? I don't do it professionally - it's just something I do along with spot the green screen.

It is fanaticism that drives people to start threads about how they saw it somewhere, as though they need to convince people that it is being used, as though they are promoting it. When you need to try and convince someone that something is popular, something that they have a financial interest in, it is probably because it is not popular.

I'm guessing you don't enjoy WW

I don't care why people do it. I think it's possible to try and read far too much into why people do something that you think is putting far too much effort into doing - if you follow.

//Last post because it has nothing to do with Sony TV

•••
About 10 % market share is ubiquitous?

Yes.

I'm guessing you don't enjoy

Well I wouldn't bet money on Waldo being one day all over the page.

I don't care why people do it. I think it's possible to try and read far too much into why people do something that you think is putting far too much effort into doing - if you follow.

//Last post because it has nothing to do with Sony TV

I think it is pretty obvious why they do it. They hope to convince others, and maybe even themselves. Look at something for long enough and eventually you'll probably see what you'd like to be there,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination

•••

Agree. Looks like the yet another carriage of the train called .TV has pulled into the station.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back