Dynadot

sales Sold a .org for $4,500 within 60 days conflict (SedoMLS)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domainication

Top Member
Impact
1,659
So here's the story.:

I transfered a .org from namecheap to dynadot at 1st of december.
I was able to activate SedoMLS and Afternic Fast transfer immediately like there is no 60 days lock.

And at 3rd of december a buyer claimed that name at Namecheap (SedoMLS) for a sweet 4.288 €.

I now know the sale will not go through because of the 60 days lock wich is really sad.
Dynadot support told so. There is only an option for .net and .com to opt-out at fresh transfers.

@Sedo @Dynadot

You really need to fix that. Why was i able to activate SedoMLS when it was not ready for actication?
Like.. f.e. when i put up a new registered domain then Sedo will tell me that domain is within lock and can not be activatet after the 60 days period. This should be the info i get when i try to activate a new transfered .org too. Or am i wrong?

Now i still have the sale in my transfer center but it will not go through. How / when will the buyer be informed?

The status of the name is 'transferPeriod https://icann.org/epp#transferPeriod'. Any chance to cancel the transfer from Namecheap to Dynadot to make this work?

Were anyone of you domainers in the same situation?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Agreed. But at Dynadot you can opt out the 60-days lock for .net and .com TLDs which are newly transfered:
That is not something I have heard of.

It seems like it would not be compatible with ICANN's inter-registrar transfer policy.

Can you please clarify if this is the case?

@Dynadot @calebdynadot

Brad
 
0
•••
That is not something I have heard of.

It seems like it would not be compatible with ICANN's inter-registrar transfer policy.

Can you please clarify if this is the case?

@Dynadot @calebdynadot

Brad
Yeah maybe i misunderstood something.

PS: I got this infos from that thread up here:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/dynadot-60-day-transfer-lock.1289154/#post-8809975

and here

https://www.dynadot.com/community/blog/60-day-domain-locks
Quote from the link above:

Transfer locks, however, vary across registries. Newly transferred .com and .net domains don’t carry a 60-day lock with them. Similarly, newly transferred .digital or .live domains don’t have transfer locks. You can move your domain from registrar A to B and then B to C and not get caught in a 60-day lock each time you switch companies. Other TLDs, like .org, do have a 60-day lock on recently transferred domains. You can move your domain from registrar A to B, but would need to wait 60 days to move from B to C. Anytime the domain switches registrars, the lock will be enabled.
 
Last edited:
3
•••
Yeah maybe i misunderstood something.

PS: I got this infos from that thread up here:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/dynadot-60-day-transfer-lock.1289154/#post-8809975

and here

https://www.dynadot.com/community/blog/60-day-domain-locks
Quote from the link above:

Transfer locks, however, vary across registries. Newly transferred .com and .net domains don’t carry a 60-day lock with them. Similarly, newly transferred .digital or .live domains don’t have transfer locks. You can move your domain from registrar A to B and then B to C and not get caught in a 60-day lock each time you switch companies. Other TLDs, like .org, do have a 60-day lock on recently transferred domains. You can move your domain from registrar A to B, but would need to wait 60 days to move from B to C. Anytime the domain switches registrars, the lock will be enabled.
Yeah, I read that on their website.

I am not aware that registrar's can opt-out of locks which seem to be imposed under ICANN policy.

I hope @Dynadot can clarify.

Brad
 
0
•••
Hello,

Hope I can help clarify! So from my understanding, the 60 day transfer lock is actually something that is dependant on the Registry if they want to enforce it! Verisign doesn't require the 60 day transfer lock for newly transferred domains so we don't enforce it for .COM and .NET, hence why you can transfer those out fairly frequently. Some Registrars will still have it be 60 days for every domain, but they do not need to have it that way.

I hope that helps!
 
11
•••
Hello,

Hope I can help clarify! So from my understanding, the 60 day transfer lock is actually something that is dependant on the Registry if they want to enforce it! Verisign doesn't require the 60 day transfer lock for newly transferred domains so we don't enforce it for .COM and .NET, hence why you can transfer those out fairly frequently. Some Registrars will still have it be 60 days for every domain, but they do not need to have it that way.

I hope that helps!
That's interesting.

My understanding is you could only opt-out when it came to change of registrant (at the same registrar), not change of registrar.

Brad
 
Last edited:
1
•••
That's interesting.

My understanding is you could only opt-out when it came to change of registrant (at the same registrar), not change of registrar.

Brad
There is an opt-out for that as well, however we automatically opt-out for our customers for that as it tended to cause more issues than it solved.
 
8
•••
My understanding is you could only opt-out when it came to change of registrant (at the same registrar), not change of registrar.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/about-transfer-policy-2017-10-10-en

Your registrar may deny a transfer request in the following limited circumstances: (...)
  • Domain name is within 60 days of initial registration
  • Domain name is within 60 days of a previous transfer"

So clearly it's not imposed and depends on the registrar.
 
10
•••
Contact the buyer directly and ask if they agree to accept the domain at Dynadot. If it is OK ask Sedo their Dynadot account for Escrow.

I had done something like this in Dan many years ago, and the transaction is still done smoothly..

If the buyer needs the domain, no problem for them to accept at Dynadot, Namecheap or everywhere, as long they can hold the domain.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Got an update from my transfer agent - now i can communicate directly in the transfer center with the agent:

It works exactly like @Traderas told:

Sedo will inform namecheap about the lock and then namecheap will tell their retail buyer about the following options:

- Wait 60 days (in my case till 1st of february) or
- Create a dynadot account to handle by push transfer

Thanks @Sedo for working on that sale to make it happen.

Will let you guys know how it ends.
Thank you all for your interactions and that you offer a shoulder for an afraid domainer! ;)
 
7
•••
Sale went through just as normal. It was transferred to namecheap like there's no lock.
Don't know how that happened (maybe because the contact record didn't change at my transfer from Namecheap to dynadot because new owner is the same as the old owner = me?!) i don't know but i'm more than happy with that for sure! Didn't expected that - just awesome! Payment was send out. Will reveal the name in the sales section when the money hit my bank account.
 
Last edited:
8
•••
Sale went through just as normal. It was transferred to namecheap like there's no lock.
Don't know how that happened (maybe because the contact record didn't change at my transfer from Namecheap to dynadot because new owner is the same as the old owner = me?!) i don't know but i'm more than happy with that for sure! Didn't expected that - just awesome! Payment was send out. Will reveal the name in the sales section when the money hit my bank account.
Surprised that this went so smooth, considering the complexity and number of parties (5) involved: buyer, seller, Sedo, NameCheap & Dynadot!!!

Thanks for sharing the details.
 
1
•••
That is sad that the sale is apparently lost. I take it the buyer is not willing to wait until the name can be transferred.

The 60 day transfer lock for .org, as I understand it, is set by their backend provider (same for .xyz and other names by that registry) and there is no option for the registrar to not apply it.

I had noticed that Dynadot allow you to instantly activate FT (Sav too) on transferred domain names, and wondered what would happen if a sale happened within the 60 day period. So it appears there are problems.

The 60 day period is so long, I hope we will soon see it reduced, particularly for transfers.

Hope somehow the name still sells.

-Bob

I think Dynadot should train customer support agents so they don't become 'sad,' resorting to philosophy, when a customer asks, 'what are the locks that Dynadot applies to new registrations and domains transferred from another registrar to Dynadot?

Dynadot support agent reply : "60 days afterwards. It is in theory added to all domains, but some registries are less strict when it comes to enforcing the lock. Sadly, we do not have much say in the matter."

Spaceship support agent reply:
"For .COM: transfer lock after registration - 60 days; transfer lock after previous transfer - none
For .NET: transfer lock after registration - 60 days; transfer lock after previous transfer - none
For .INFO: transfer lock after registration - 5 days; transfer lock after previous transfer - 5 days"
 
3
•••
I think Dynadot should
Dynadot have a nice set of information on various periods, costs, restrictions, etc. for each and every TLD online.

Would be nice to add the transfer lock information right there (e.g. here it is for .org) and then one would not need to go to support agents to find out.
https://www.dynadot.com/domain/org

-Bob
 
4
•••
Dynadot have a nice set of information on various periods, costs, restrictions, etc. for each and every TLD online.

Would be nice to add the transfer lock information right there (e.g. here it is for .org) and then one would not need to go to support agents to find out.
https://www.dynadot.com/domain/org

-Bob

I agree. I believe it's key information to know what locks a registrar applies to transfers, if any, as it can influence the choice, especially when prices are consistently close. In any case, the Dynadot support agent did not respond, closing the conversation with the usual 'any other questions?' I also tried with Namecheap, and although I may be mistaken, the chat agent's name appeared to me identical to the one encountered on the Spaceship chat. However, the responses differed. On Spaceship the support agent had no issues in answering my question with the text l've pasted, while on Namecheap did not provide the exact terms for the lock-in days for transfers, vaguely referring to the standard 60 days.
 
3
•••
So here's the story.:

I transfered a .org from namecheap to dynadot at 1st of december.
I was able to activate SedoMLS and Afternic Fast transfer immediately like there is no 60 days lock.

And at 3rd of december a buyer claimed that name at Namecheap (SedoMLS) for a sweet 4.288 €.

I now know the sale will not go through because of the 60 days lock wich is really sad.
Dynadot support told so. There is only an option for .net and .com to opt-out at fresh transfers.

@Sedo @Dynadot

You really need to fix that. Why was i able to activate SedoMLS when it was not ready for actication?
Like.. f.e. when i put up a new registered domain then Sedo will tell me that domain is within lock and can not be activatet after the 60 days period. This should be the info i get when i try to activate a new transfered .org too. Or am i wrong?

Now i still have the sale in my transfer center but it will not go through. How / when will the buyer be informed?

The status of the name is 'transferPeriod https://icann.org/epp#transferPeriod'. Any chance to cancel the transfer from Namecheap to Dynadot to make this work?

Were anyone of you domainers in the same situation?
Hello,

You say you were able to activate SedoMLS while the domain was in a 60 day lock. We would be interested to know which domain this happened. Please send an email to [email protected] from the email address registered on your Sedo account with the full details of the domain name and sale so we can look into it.

Best regards,
Your Sedo Team
 
0
•••
That's interesting.

My understanding is you could only opt-out when it came to change of registrant (at the same registrar), not change of registrar.

Brad

This is due to consistent misinformation from GoDaddy. Even when Cyger was working there I could not get the message across. Opting out of the 60 day lock is the key reason why I choose Dynadot over GoDaddy.
 
1
•••
Were anyone of you domainers in the same situation?

Just ask your Sedo transfer rep to get the buyer to make a Dynadot account. Then you can push the domain.

Most buyers paying this much should be willing to jump through a hoop or two.
 
1
•••
Back