IT.COM

new gtlds Significant day and week for new extensions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
In case you missed it there was an unusual number of sales in different new extensions in today's NameBio daily report. It was a pretty unusual day with 16 sales in 12 different new extensions. These sales were (in my opinion) mainly not that great names, but clearly someone wanted them, and the average price is just $254. A number were multiple words.

Totally accept today's single daily report might be an outlier, but I see this as a hopeful sign when one looks at the past week on NameBio, and I looked back at the previous week. During the most recent week (ending Aug 21) there have been 44 sales in 23 different extensions with an average price of $1809. I can't remember another week in the last year and a half with activity in so many extensions. The top registry had 8 of the sales, but it seems that most are not registry, and they happen at 7 different venues including Sedo, Flippa and Dynadot.

Most of the sales are not very high value ($100 to $400 range) but a few are higher (e.g. token in .xyz for $14,999; xyz and caijing in .top for a bit more than $10,000 and bot in .app for $9999).

The Famous Four registry extensions, now under different management, seem to be gaining respect as a number of them witnessed sales during this period.

The activity was pretty spread out, but in addition to the 8 in .top, there were 3 each in .club, online and .space during the week. I give the complete breakdown by extension here.

Actually ngTLDs in general have been more consistently active of late - in the NameBio database there has been at least one sale for each off the last 30 days, averaging more than 4 sales per say. Further back was not hard to find a day with no sale (note that this is by date of sale in NameBio, some daily reports do not show them due to delay in reporting).

If you want to read a longer report where I also provide some links to other hopeful new extension signs, see this blog post. Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Shouldn't be hopeful. It's miserable and the blue sky cometh not.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back