IT.COM

.info Significance and value of a .INFO domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Greetings!

From what I understand, the "standard" domain name to go is a .com. However, there are really sites that does not get the .com instead they go with a .org or a .net eventhough the .com is available. Others also prefer the .info (information?).

The question: What good is a .info domain if you don't get the .com counterpart (assuming that the .com is available)? I get the impression that .info names become secondary only to .com knowing that enom even gives them away for free if you registered a .com with them. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you very much. Your ideas are welcome!

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.org if you are a not for profit entity. .info if has a little more flexiblility if you plan on an income generating site.

•••
.com is only a default that many people type if they don't know or didn't pay attention to the real TLD. typing in is only one of many ways websites get traffic. If the .com is taken, and the alternatives are .net or .info or a much longer .com, then it can just be a matter of choice. .com says you mean business, but .info may be a shorter address for email or printed promotions. Having .com is probably essential for large businesses, but small businesses can be more flexible. Search engines really don't discriminate by TLD, so if your SEO is maximized, it really wouldn't matter much. As a non-dotcom, you risk losing some customers to the exact .com version due to type-ins, but they are not always a direct competitor anyway. particularly if the term is very generic or an acronym, or your business is only regional.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back