Dynadot

Should I Wait for a Domain Name to Expire or Buy it at premium $220?

NameSilo
Watch

Jungleworks

Impact
I want to buy a domain that I shortlisted for my startup, I will start working on startup after 6 months.
I would create Software Comparison website .

The Domain I wanna buy would expire after 8 Days as per WHOIS data. Then Probably after 45 to 60 Days it would go to SAV Auctions as SAV is main registrar? OR it Would go to Auctions on all websites? I am not sure.!

The .com TLD is registered from 1998 by a big Multinational company and is functional.
Appraisal Values of .com
Godaddy : $ 12732
SAW : $ 70,000
Estibot : $ 33,000

Buy My domain has .io TLD , Right now its available on Namecheap, SEDO and SAV at $200 marked as premium. Its renew price is $37 and transfer price is $37, Which I believe should be included in $220.
No Backlinks as per ahrefs and 0 AUTH rank.

Appraisal Values
GoDaddy : $1607
SAW : $ 1600
Estibot : $140

If Domain Expires I would get it for $12 but right now I can get it for $220.

1)Should I wait it to expire or I should Buy it at this price?
2) Can that Big company Take back this domain via UDRP?
3) Does Domain for Auction on all websites or only SAV.com as it is current registrar. and When it will go for auctions? I checked on its stays for 10 days on SAV and is given to highest bidder?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I want to buy a domain that I shortlisted for my startup, I will start working on startup after 6 months.
I would create Software Comparison website .

The Domain I wanna buy would expire after 8 Days as per WHOIS data. Then Probably after 45 to 60 Days it would go to SAV Auctions as SAV is main registrar? OR it Would go to Auctions on all websites? I am not sure.!

The .com TLD is registered from 1998 by a big Multinational company and is functional.
Appraisal Values of .com
Godaddy : $ 12732
SAW : $ 70,000
Estibot : $ 33,000

Buy My domain has .io TLD , Right now its available on Namecheap, SEDO and SAV at $200 marked as premium. Its renew price is $37 and transfer price is $37, Which I believe should be included in $220.
No Backlinks as per ahrefs and 0 AUTH rank.

Appraisal Values
GoDaddy : $1607
SAW : $ 1600
Estibot : $140

If Domain Expires I would get it for $12 but right now I can get it for $220.

1)Should I wait it to expire or I should Buy it at this price?
3) Does Domain for Auction on all websites or only SAV.com as it is current registrar. and When it will go for auctions? I checked on its stays for 10 days on SAV and is given to highest bidder?
If you are doing a start-up then $220 is not hardly any money. I would buy at the $220 bin, because what if it get's put to expired auction and gets bids above that? Since, it would probably be at expired auction after drop you wouldn't get it for $12, unless their are no bids on it. Count your losses and buy at $220 in my opinion.

•••
Hey! What an interesting question.
I followed your thread.
Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
Whether the owner of the .com could take your name via UDRP or not depends on if it is generic name or a trademark of the .com owner. It is hard to say without knowing the domain.

If you really want the domain, I would suggest buying it now for $220. Even if the name expires in 8 days there is a good chance the registrant will renew it. There is also a chance that someone else buys it, or the owner increases their price. If they don’t renew it should then be auctioned exclusively at Sav, but others might bid and there is no guarantee that you will really get it for $12.

The only way to make sure you acquire it is to use the buy-it-now.

•••
If you think it is a fair price then buy it. You might regret it later if you don't.

•••
I wouldn't wait! Grab it while you still can!

•••
Whether the owner of the .com could take your name via UDRP or not depends on if it is generic name or a trademark of the .com owner. It is hard to say without knowing the domain.

If you really want the domain, I would suggest buying it now for $220. Even if the name expires in 8 days there is a good chance the registrant will renew it. There is also a chance that someone else buys it, or the owner increases their price. If they don’t renew it should then be auctioned exclusively at Sav, but others might bid and there is no guarantee that you will really get it for $12.

The only way to make sure you acquire it is to use the buy-it-now.
@Daniel Owens @DigiNames

Thanks for giving your time and writing in detail :)
Fortunately I was able to get the domain in backorder Domain Name was CALLOFDUTY.io
But I agree with you now.
It was my first time in buying domains, so that amount was looking high to me.
Lately I bought over 120 Domains in 2 months , and felt 220 was cheaper and should not had taken the risk.
Over the time I shortlisted many domains, and many of them were bought by other people through not so popular backorder service providers and they increased the price.
Today I got my first offer on my Domain callofduty.io for $40,000 , though I wanted to start my project but could be my first sell ever :)

•••
Creating a "software comparison website" using the name of a popular software product might not be the best idea.

Is there a particular reason why you believe this is a good name for whatever purpose you have in mind?

This sounds sort of like creating a "restaurant food comparison website" using McDonalds.io or a "transportation review website" using Volkswagen.io.

It seems that they are pretty active in enforcing their rights in relation to domain names:

Domain Case Date Decision
callofdutychampions.comNAF 19121532020-10-23Transferred
callofdutyww2play.comNAF 18937092020-05-21Transferred
callofdutymovie.comNAF 16755392016-06-08Transferred

...and they seem to have invested considerable effort into making sure that other people do not use "CALL OF DUTY" in relation to software and other goods and services, as this might indicate:

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.17.51 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.18.12 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.18.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.18.47 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.19.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.19.12 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.19.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.19.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.19.50 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.20.08 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.20.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.20.28 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.20.08 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.20.08 PM.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
•••
The Domain I wanna buy would expire after 8 Days as per WHOIS data.

What makes you believe that?

Domain Name: callofduty.io
Registry Domain ID: 15cba5c7ac4444afbdea18f660b944f3-DONUTS
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois-service.virtualcloud.co
Registrar URL: http://sav.com
Updated Date: 2023-09-25T00:05:50Z
Creation Date: 2023-08-14T17:00:00Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2024-08-14T17:00:00Z

The domain name was created in August 2023, about 13 weeks ago. It will not expire until August 2024.

I'm going to guess that other people here have more experience with this sort of thing, but is this a lame attempt to advertise a completely worthless and obviously cybersquatted name corresponding to a famous mark for sale or what?

•••
The domain name was created in August 2023, about 13 weeks ago. It will not expire until August 2024.
You overlooked the original post creation date. The OP has already obtained the name, thus the new registration period...

•••
You got your first offer on the Domain callofduty.io for $40,000 my ass.

You're a cybersquatter, and with those "Related keywords" from the landing page, you're a 100% UDRP target.

•••
•••
CallOfDuty.io now resolves to a SquadHelp lander. How SH didn't notice this blatant TM infringement is beyond me! Just goes to show how low these brandable marketplaces have stooped to.

•••
CallOfDuty.io now resolves to a SquadHelp lander. How SH didn't notice this blatant TM infringement is beyond me! Just goes to show how low these brandable marketplaces have stooped to.
Because this is a standard listing that hasn't been approved in SH's premium marketplace by humans. Anybody can list any domain as standard on SH.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back