IT.COM

question Should I pay redemption for expired LLL.in domain?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I have a real English word LLL.in domain that has expired and has gone into redemption at Name.com

Firstly, is there any way at all for me to renew the name without paying the extra fee and secondly, if I have to pay the fee, should I renew the domain if it's going to be more than $100 total? The domain is 37 days past expiration, if that helps and I haven't contacted Name.com as of yet. I have no idea what LLL.in domains are worth at the moment, so forgive my ignorance. I've had this domain for over a decade and I feel utterly stupid for letting it expire, but things have been going horribly lately and I have way too much on my plate. Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have a real English word LLL.in domain that has expired and has gone into redemption at Name.com

Firstly, is there any way at all for me to renew the name without paying the extra fee and secondly, if I have to pay the fee, should I renew the domain if it's going to be more than $100 total? The domain is 37 days past expiration, if that helps and I haven't contacted Name.com as of yet. I have no idea what LLL.in domains are worth at the moment, so forgive my ignorance. I've had this domain for over a decade and I feel utterly stupid for letting it expire, but things have been going horribly lately and I have way too much on my plate. Thanks for your help :)
Absolutely yes

•••
If it's a solid word in British English I'd renew.

•••
•••

Renew it ASAP,
Your domain is possibly already on expired auction, don't expected they will give you a full redemption period to make a decision. Your domain may get removed from your account on DAY40

•••
•••
•••
But Honor.in sold for $29k

An exception imho. One name being sold (that doesn't even resolve) for $29k shouldn't make it all of a sudden a good idea to register/purchase a name in the wrong colloquial grammar style of a specific country. If honor.ca sold for $29k that wouldn't stop me from avoiding to register/buy Center.ca because in Canada we like the UK and India, spell it Centre.

Not a risk I'm willing to take on a cctld domain.

Last edited:
•••
Renewals are always so tricky..

Things like this make ppl want to renew all their long-term domains for 10 years, but then they realize it's a significant hold on funds (even 10 domains for 10 years is 800...)

And then they realize Th eres no point and they'd rather renew manually "when the time comes each year"... But it's that mentality that causes this. When the time comes to renew, you don't have the funds to renew that portion of your portfolio...

And thus the cycle of expiring domaons continues

•••
edited
(I misunderstood that this was in .in so my post not relevant)

Last edited:
•••
LLL isn't the only reason to renew.. The fact that it's a word, is the main reason to renew.

I think it's worth it. Just be careful next time to renew early. maybe transfer to your main registrar.

•••
•••
this.

as far as LLL .in sales, prices vary:
https://shortnames.com/lll/sales#3xKOe

I also own an LLL .in and have received zero offers in the 2 years I own it... that would be a very different situation if my LLL was an actual word though.
Yep, the real question should be how much do real words go for in .in, especially if the word is short and sweet.

•••
Why is it that redemptions cost so much more than renwals and transfers? Is the money going to the registrar or registry? I can see some extra but the amount in general seems high, like $100+ apparently here.

•••
The grammar for English in India is British not American.
This is very important. Only slang or "hollywood" words are okay in US english.

•••
I had a look at NameBio sales of LLL in .in in the under $100 category and there are quite a few (many sold May 23 this year for some reason) but I could only find one I recognized as a word (or abbreviation of word actually) and that was years ago.
Bob

•••
Why is it that redemptions cost so much more than renwals and transfers? Is the money going to the registrar or registry? I can see some extra but the amount in general seems high, like $100+ apparently here.

As far as I'm aware there's a standard fee that goes to the registry. The registrar can add to that to cover their 'costs'.

•••
•••
LLL isn't the only reason to renew.. The fact that it's a word, is the main reason to renew.

I think it's worth it. Just be careful next time to renew early. maybe transfer to your main registrar.

Agreed.
If it's a 3 letter english word like car cat dog, there is no reason not to get it back.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Apparently I lost the domain. I feel so disgusted with myself over this. It's so hard to believe it went away that quickly. :(

Untitled.jpg

•••
Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions :)

•••
Apparently I lost the domain. I feel so disgusted with myself over this. It's so hard to believe it went away that quickly. :(

Show attachment 122052

Many registrars now cut the grace renewal period because they want to make extra $$$ from expired domains without taking any risks. :smuggrin:
They forgot they never the rightful owner of domains, they are just the people whom manage the domain on the behalf of their customers.:xf.rolleyes:
It come to a question that who give them the power to resell and even deprivation the legal rights of domain owners to renew their domains? :facepalm:

I really miss the old days when registrar is less greedy.:happy:

Last edited:
•••
Maybe auctioning expired domains is ok, but I wonder why it is registrars that get all the proceeds. Domain owners should get at least 50% share.

•••
Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions :)

You are fine. This is negative meaning word. That greatly reduces your chances of sale.

make (someone) feel annoyed, frustrated, or worried, especially with trivial matters.
"the memory of the conversation still vexed him"
synonyms: annoy, irritate, infuriate, anger, incense, inflame, enrage, irk, chagrin, exasperate, madden, pique, provoke, nettle, disturb, upset, perturb, discompose, put out; More

• ARCHAIC
    cause distress to.
    "thou shalt not vex a stranger"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back