IT.COM

advice Does NameFind, LLC let premium domains expire?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Christian Taylor

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

I'm new to the "expiring domains" game. I've been eyeing a domain that's been on sale for $2,999, which I am DEFINITELY not going to pay for. It is absurdly priced. It isn't a business name or anything a business can use, just a personal domain name. I don't think any person would pay that much (and it isn't even good for business use). The domain is set to expire on February 12th of this year. With NameFind not getting any interest, do you think they'll let the domain expire? Does anyone know what their "protocol" is for domains that don't sell? If they do let it expire, since it's registered at GoDaddy should I backorder via GoDaddy? I'm completely new to this.. thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,

I'm new to the "expiring domains" game. I've been eyeing a domain that's been on sale for $2,999, which I am DEFINITELY not going to pay for. It is absurdly priced. It isn't a business name or anything a business can use, just a personal domain name. I don't think any person would pay that much (and it isn't even good for business use). The domain is set to expire on February 12th of this year. With NameFind not getting any interest, do you think they'll let the domain expire? Does anyone know what their "protocol" is for domains that don't sell? If they do let it expire, since it's registered at GoDaddy should I backorder via GoDaddy? I'm completely new to this.. thanks.

No, because most likely they paid $xxx for that domain in a portfolio purchase, why would they take a loss on it, they get to renew domains at cost?

•••
No, because most likely they paid $xxx for that domain in a portfolio purchase, why would they take a loss on it, they get to renew domains at cost?

Ok, thank you. I guess I'm just out of luck :(

•••
Ok, thank you. I guess I'm just out of luck :(
I am not sure how good the domain is, but for the most part namefind names are not priced at crazy numbers, they usually accept offers at 2/3 of the BIN.

•••
I am not sure how good the domain is, but for the most part namefind names are not priced at crazy numbers, they usually accept offers at 2/3 of the BIN.

it's just christiantaylor.com. I want it as a personal domain - and who on earth is going to pay $2,999 for that??

•••
Yes, personal names are a pet peeve I know how frustrating that is for you.

Looks like their min offer ask is $1949

•••
Yes, personal names are a pet peeve I know how frustrating that is for you.

Looks like their min offer ask is $1949

Yes, very annoying that some company is hogging it! I've got christiantaylortech.com, as that's the next best thing. I'm hoping they might let it expire, but I'm also not counting on it. Just seems silly to hog a domain if no one is ever gonna buy it.

•••
Take the .xyz for 99 cents, or maybe the .org for $10, I would say take .me but it is already taken.

You can try to add your initial in the middle.

Honestly about $1500-2500 is what those kind of names sell for.

•••
Take the .xyz for 99 cents, or maybe the .org for $10, I would say take .me but it is already taken.

You can try to add your initial in the middle.

Honestly about $1500-2500 is what those kind of names sell for.
IMPORTANT UPDATE (for those of you reading this):

Well, I just checked again today, and they just renewed the domain this morning for another year. Translation: @wwwweb was correct - I guess they have no interest in letting it go. I find it absurd that they expect some PERSON (not business) to pay even $1949, but whatever.. I'll just have to let it go. Looks to me like the current owner of christiantaylor.co, who I know for sure is just a person and not some company, is going to let it expire. It's set on a parking page and it was previously his website. Plus it's his first year of registration, so chances are pretty good. Maybe I can grab that when it expires.

Another important note I learned for any noobs like me reading this:

Just because a domain is close to expiring, doesn't mean at all that the domain owner is considering letting it expire. Some people just wait until a few weeks before to renew. In fact, I was watching youtube.com just for the fun of it, and it was up to expire in February of 2017 a few weeks ago. It was just a few days ago that they renewed it until 2018. That's a perfect example - OBVIOUSLY Google wasn't gonna let youtube.com expire, and of course I knew that, I just found it interesting that it's not renewed for 5-10 years in the future like google.com is.

Last edited:
•••
a normal price for First+Last Name. Some comparable reported sales include:
JohnLocke.com 7,500 USD
CandiceAdams.com 4,888 USD
KateWood.com 2,500 USD
more at dnjournal dot com --> Domain Sales / YTD Sales Charts

•••
a normal price for First+Last Name. Some comparable reported sales include:
JohnLocke.com 7,500 USD
CandiceAdams.com 4,888 USD
KateWood.com 2,500 USD
more at dnjournal dot com --> Domain Sales / YTD Sales Charts
Dang, that's crazy!

•••
Domain is being renewed since 2003, obviously they believe it is valuable.

•••
If they do let it expire, since it's registered at GoDaddy should I backorder via GoDaddy?

Namefind = Godaddy

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea for them to let some names expire if they were names that could end up in a bidding war as they'd end up getting the $ in the end anyways.

If this name wasn't renewed godaddy's expired domains section would be the place to go to bid on it.

As for 'name' domains, I used to think that I was the only one that would want my name .com, but I bet if you type your name into Google and add things to the end like, lawyer, real estate, insurance etc...you'll find a number of people in those type of professions who would benefit from owning their name in .com and a couple thousand $'s would make sense to them.

•••
Namefind = Godaddy

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea for them to let some names expire if they were names that could end up in a bidding war as they'd end up getting the $ in the end anyways.

If this name wasn't renewed godaddy's expired domains section would be the place to go to bid on it.

As for 'name' domains, I used to think that I was the only one that would want my name .com, but I bet if you type your name into Google and add things to the end like, lawyer, real estate, insurance etc...you'll find a number of people in those type of professions who would benefit from owning their name in .com and a couple thousand $'s would make sense to them.

Thanks! That's some good insight I haven't thought of before.

•••
I find it absurd that they expect some PERSON (not business) to pay even $1949, but whatever..

They are businessmen, not a charity. Who knows if Christian Taylor may become new Christian Dior in future? ;)
Also google finds rapper, actress and athlete with the same name, there's absolutely no chance they will let it drop.

•••
christiantaylor.org still available

•••
Who's to say a business won't use a first name + last name?

David+Walker in the com is a fragrance company that has 50+ stores in Turkey.

A lot of f+l are utilized for business purposes in areas such as law and real estate because of something called personal branding. Typically, a lawyer in a private practice might use something along the lines of stevensmithlaw.com in the event that their f+l is taken.

So, use “second best” (f+l+tech.com) if you're not willing to shell out 2k.

•••
I (Luckily still I own it after winning it) bought a Geo+word .com which was held by namefind....they drop some names but domains either end up in bidding war or renewed..

Last edited:
•••
christiantaylor.org still available

Thanks, I am aware of this. Honestly, I don't like .org, unless it's specifically an organization, then I do prefer it. The only TLDs I like are .com, .co (in certain cases), and .net. I don't even LOVE .net, but I'd settle for it if it were available. I am pretty happy with christiantaylortech.com, I just wanted to see if christiantaylor.com had any chance of becoming available because of course I'd prefer it. But, regardless, I am happy with my current setup! I'm pretty sure christiantaylor.co will go into auction, so I may grab it - not sure.

•••
I have a couple of FirstNameLastName.com domains. Any suggestions on the best way to sell them?

•••
•••
•••
Who's to say a business won't use a first name + last name?

David+Walker in the com is a fragrance company that has 50+ stores in Turkey.

A lot of f+l are utilized for business purposes in areas such as law and real estate because of something called personal branding. Typically, a lawyer in a private practice might use something along the lines of stevensmithlaw.com in the event that their f+l is taken.

So, use “second best” (f+l+tech.com) if you're not willing to shell out 2k.

Right, like calvinklein.is

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back