IT.COM

advice Selling Twitter Name aged 9 years old

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello expert domainers.

Have a good day. Would like to get some views and inputs from fellow domainers.

I have been selling domains and instagram account, but this is my first time dealing with twitter handle (username).

I am wondering whether anyone here ever sold a Twitter handle (Twitter username) ? About 9-10 years ago, I forecasted a brandable keyword and registered a domain *********tion(dot)com and also twitter account with the same name.

But i let the domain dropped. It turned out the domain was then registered by a company and the president came and emailed to me to acquire the Twitter name. According to Twitter, we are prohibited to sell Twitter account (especially in public). I am thinking of registering another domain and sell the domain to the company, together with the Twitter account.

Any other inputs and thoughts from expert domainers ?😃 How much should I sell the Twitter handle? (I also own other social media including emails etc with the same name but the company is currently only interested in the Twitter)

Honestly, the Twitter account has less than 10 followers but the company is interested in the name because they want to trademark the website they own which domain is exactly match my twitter handle.

Similarly, when selling a domain, the name itself will represent the value but if the domain is developed with nice website, it would have higher value. Likewise, despite the twitter has only few followers but the name itself is valuable from the eyes of the company.

My questions:

1. How can we check 'how big' the company is? I did a quick check on Google but not sure whether the data is accurate. It seems to be a multimillion company. Need to know the company background in order to give the right price offer.
2. How much do you think I should sell the Twitter handle?
3. Should I sell only the twitter account ? The company only interested in the Twitter account. Or should I sell all the other social media, blogs, emails?
4. The company is gonna trademark the name (the website just created in 2015 after it dropped more than 7 years ago), would the company be able to seize my twitter handle (name) which was registered 9 years ago? In addition to that, the company is in training niche, while my twitter name is in transportation niche.

Thanks in advance :)

Ree

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wasnt aware that any username could be sold etc

I had sone good gmail email addresses at one point

I bought a domain name that would be ideal for legal disputes basrd on this,subject a couple of years,ago

Because lets just say that a twitter user has,had their twitter username for 9 years and they have a vast amount of tweets,which are their intellectual property etc and or copyright etc there are so msby legal aspects,to consider for both the original owner of the username and their previous content and goodwill especially if they use it for s,business etc as they would lose future business by selling it etc

Someone bought the website address handle dot com recently which o presume may have been bought for this,purpose where people can sell the profike \ username eg handle etc

Its only a matter of time before its the norm

•••
DO NOT OVER GREED... just take the money and run away, if you too greedy the client might run away and you were left behind eating the dust

•••
Thanks Platey for your inputs.

There are several twitter name sale actually , but i think nobody compile the whole list :)

•••
hi Imezi.

The client don't send me any offer. Thats the reason i come here to ask for opinion, how much should i sell it :)

•••
You already state that twitter prohibit of selling the username, it means you were not having it, so you have to trust into the company president good faith.

What you need to do is tease him so he placed the offer on the silver plate, after that you could counter offer by increasing upto 30% from the offer. As i said, dont be too greedy, countering as much as 30% were quite enormous. Dont be stubborn on the negotiation process, you should keep in your mind that twitter prohibit selling username.

•••
Thanks Imezi. I think I would accept low 4 figure..;)

Twitter prohibit obvious public sale. But private sale, would be ok, there are several twitter handle sale which ended up with no problem. To make it better, don't sell merely the twitter, but sell together with domain and other social media.

•••
I speed. It's not legal.
I'd sell a Twitter handle too.

•••
u cant sell the username it is not allowed
read the twitter Tos

•••
Social media handles change hands all the time with no repercussions lol, little the corporations can/want to do about it.

Agree with @IMEZI on not being greedy with it. Value is always subjective just like in Domaining. If both parties are satisfied, done deal.

Best of luck!

•••
open with 2k, I am sure they will stop at 1k-500

•••
I'd suggest you do thorough research (or pay someone competent to do the research) on what handles sold for, when they sold, for how much, to who(m), etc. and price your handle accordingly. Not only will this give you confidence in your possible negotiation(s) with the buyer, but it'll also give you hard facts and stats to justify your asking price/range when reasoning with the buyer.

The actual handle name would also be helpful to know as we'll be able to determine (as second-opinions) whether or not the name has a more generic/commercial appeal or not - eg. a brandable technically means less potential buyers.

It's all about supply and demand, and if the demand is limited then your supply loses value (statistically speaking).

Good luck with your sale (y)

•••
Yes it's against T ToS, however if you sell a whole business then you sell everything - domains, emails, social accounts... It's reasonable so it's okay for T. The safe way would be to pass the buyer the email associated with the account.

•••
Sell him a piece of paper and give the Twitter handle for free with purchase.

•••
Sell him a piece of paper and give the Twitter handle for free with purchase.

A lot safer and possibly OK with Twitter is to pay reg fee for exact match name to twitter handle in secondary extension like .biz or others and sell domain for value of twitter user name including a "free" twitter handle.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for your opinions guys :)

A lot safer and possibly OK with Twitter is to pay reg fee for exact match name to twitter handle in secondary extension like .biz or others and sell domain for value of twitter user name including a "free" twitter handle.

Yeah, that's what I said in the first post above..:)

Yes it's against T ToS, however if you sell a whole business then you sell everything - domains, emails, social accounts... It's reasonable so it's okay for T. The safe way would be to pass the buyer the email associated with the account.

Agree with you :)

I'd suggest you do thorough research (or pay someone competent to do the research) on what handles sold for, when they sold, for how much, to who(m), etc. and price your handle accordingly. Not only will this give you confidence in your possible negotiation(s) with the buyer, but it'll also give you hard facts and stats to justify your asking price/range when reasoning with the buyer.

The actual handle name would also be helpful to know as we'll be able to determine (as second-opinions) whether or not the name has a more generic/commercial appeal or not - eg. a brandable technically means less potential buyers.

It's all about supply and demand, and if the demand is limited then your supply loses value (statistically speaking).

Good luck with your sale (y)

Thanks for your views and inputs

Social media handles change hands all the time with no repercussions lol, little the corporations can/want to do about it.

Agree with @IMEZI on not being greedy with it. Value is always subjective just like in Domaining. If both parties are satisfied, done deal.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your opinions :)

open with 2k, I am sure they will stop at 1k-500

Yeah, sound fair :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back