IT.COM

See you around

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Namepros forced me to change my avatar- Do you find it or me disturbing

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    5.6%
  • No

votes
    94.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Elad n

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Correct. The report brings it to their attention, and then they make the decision on whether or not to take action.

You saying correct and then saying something else in the following sentence doesn't make much sense. Mods can use their own eyes to "bring it to their attention", yet they haven't done it for hundreds of "unprofessional" avatars they see daily, and even within this thread. So, no, it is not about bringing to the attention.

•••
You saying correct and then saying something else in the following sentence doesn't make much sense. Mods can use their own eyes to "bring it to their attention", yet they haven't done it for hundreds of "unprofessional" avatars they see daily, and even within this thread. So, no, it is not about bringing to the attention.
@Mod Team Bravo explained earlier in the thread the reasons why many mods might miss those opportunities. I guess you can choose to accept their good faith and sincerity or not, but I agree that it would be nice if this kind of decision were applied more consistently.

•••
Correct. The report brings it to their attention, and then they make the decision on whether or not to take action.

Any mod doing their job properly would have seen that avatar go through the NP gamut many times.

•••
I find it funny that the person with the least common sense in this thread is calling himself "common sense consultant" on a profile label.

Please do consult us more, its entertaining :ROFL:

•••
I went ahead and made some template responses (no charge this time) for the future, for the next time somebody flags an avatar. Depending on how long you want your response to be:

Avatar is fine, they've had it for years.

Avatar is fine, they've had it for years. Nobody else has ever complained about it.

Avatar is fine, they've had it for years. Nobody else has ever complained about it. Actually, I don't like your avatar. They can keep their avatar, you have to change yours. And take this 1 week account restriction to think about ever bringing this type of nonsense to me again.

much better than.........

What will probably turn into some 20+ page thread discussing avatars

Members possibly leaving

Members getting account restrictions

•••
@Mod Team Bravo explained earlier in the thread the reasons why many mods might miss those opportunities. I guess you can choose to accept their good faith and sincerity or not, but I agree that it would be nice if this kind of decision were applied more consistently.

They don't miss anything, regardless of what they say, because that is ... impossible.

They have on multiple occasions interacted with those peoples directly and indirectly. I can understand missing a post, but how do you miss an avatar of a person you interact with??? Especially, if the criteria is not just if it is horror or not (I can get that they haven't watched everything) but "professional" or not, which is pretty much either your own photo or your own logo.

I invite to use the god-given fantastic gift: a gift of critical thinking. It is an amazing resource.

•••
Any mod doing their job properly would have seen that avatar go through the NP gamut many times.
Well Mod Bravo did also say that NP is taking a "new direction". Either way, I agree with you guys that it wasn't a well thought-out decision. There's a definite lack of consistency.

•••
They don't miss anything, regardless of what they say, because that is ... impossible.

They have on multiple occasions interacted with those peoples directly and indirectly. I can understand missing a post, but how do you miss an avatar of a person you interact with??? Especially, if the criteria is not just if it is horror or not (I can get that they haven't watched everything) but "professional" or not, which is pretty much either your own photo or your own logo.

I invite to use the god-given fantastic gift: a gift of critical thinking. It is an amazing resource.
I'm all for critical thinking. But let's apply it to future decisions, not to cast blame for past mistakes.

•••
- switched to anonymous modding (less accountability for the unpopular "HR" decisions)

To be fair on that point, knowing the name is irrelevant it should be a member name with history I will agree with that, but should have no ties to real identity.

Pretty sure no one here wants their family threatened or to be told someone knows where their child goes to school.

And for all the, "Oh that's probably just a kid in his basement running his mouth, or some idiot harmless threat? It only takes one time for it to be not that. And modding this stupid forum is completely worthless compared to someone's well being and the well being of their family.

•••
•••
I went ahead and made some template responses

Possible other template responses.

"It's just a movie, Thanks for understanding"

"It's just THEE comedic moment of the film, Thanks for understanding"

"You only see his head, Thanks for understanding"

"That movie was made in like fing 1980, Thanks for understanding"

"The movie had so many surreal moments it was arguably a dream, Thanks for understanding"

"Cinema and pop history is very professional, Thanks for understanding"

"Hey it's not the bear costume scene, Thanks for understanding"

•••
Might want to get the people using a Facebook Icon to change, are they Facebook? I don't have a problem with it but if we are talking impersonating or professional.Show attachment 152836
Thanks for letting us know.

We are currently in the process of trying to verifying their authorization to use that FaceBook Trademark, which could potentially be misleading to members, thinking they could possibly be an authorized representative for FaceBook.

Please report any other activity like that so we can investigate further.

•••
If we want to reimagine this scene playing out it could have and should have in my worthless opinion played out like this.

Member reports Elad N avatar
The Mod who got report would have had a discussion with all those making decisions (in another post it was said not all mods may have saw it as unprofessional)
They would then have said, people we do not want to single out one member, let's put together a post that we want to have a more professional looking forum.

Post published - Please be advised that members who have an avatar that does not fit with our enhanced professional standards will be kindly asked to change the avatar. We will not be holding a poll for each avatar, if you are asked to change it please change it. If you will not change it, we will refund you any 2020 membership fees you paid and close your account.

Namepros will be updating our terms of service that members understand by joining we can rule what avatars are professional and which are not.

Thank you

•••
78-2

Last edited:
•••
Well I have read the whole thread, took some time, why bother? Because what brings me to NP is the members and the info I find and share, and the humour too. There have been some critical comments in this thread from members whose domain professionalism I value, and I especially value them because I have benefited from what they have posted over several years. So it really does concern me to see serious dissatisfaction and members leaving or being suppressed. Is it really so easy to go out and find replacement members with knowledge and experience?

The following mod comment wasn't directed at me but I want to point out something - it is not just words or images, but also attitudes that show respect.

You were issued a warning because of your behavior. Do you say, “wtf are you even talking about” to your coworkers and boss in an office environment? If so, then you are the perfect example of a member who will either learn to behave professionally or be removed from NamePros.

In case you missed it, NamePros has expectations for respect; we expect you to be respectful to every member. It can be described as:

Do you see us speaking to anyone that way?

Be respectful or leave. It’s that simple.

Edited: Post clarified. We were not calling moderators your boss. We were saying you should treat everyone on NamePros as professionally as you would treat your boss.

So do be cautious in talking about the .wtf domain extension, you have been warned. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.wtf

Last edited:
•••
I think Elad has been unfairly treated here. You shouldn't be removing someone's avatar because one person takes offense to it. This is crazy.

I cant see how its an offenseive image, its from a famous movie scene.

So I can have the avatars on the left, but not the ones on the right?

This is a serious question? (not a movie quizz :xf.smile:) If nobody finds it offensive now and then in 5 years time, one NP member reports me for the avatar, it will be removed?

Is that correct? I'm just looking for a Yes or No from the mods, thats all

upload_2020-4-30_15-22-53.png

•••
@Mod Team Bravo when are the mods going to review all avatars to make sure they are deemed "professional"

You can't remove 1 avatar and stop there, to keep things fair you have to review the other 1,000,000+ accounts surely?

When are you going to start? What metrics are you going to use to decide? How long will this process take?

•••
Can there be a foundation of intelligence for the mod teams to work from to basically deflect time wasting reports such as this one, rather than yield any credibility to such a ridiculous report?
Well said, man. Respect

•••
If it is a case of this not being a forum for members but some sort of dictatorship then I will not be renewing my paid membership
Thanks for the idea. I'm also going to cancel all payments now.

•••
•••
Is my avatar considered offensive?

•••
Mods should spend the time to do something to make the forum more friendly instead of acting like cops.
A lot of old members left recently because of these nonsense decision and waste too much of our time.
Mods should concentrate on controlling Spammers/Scammers/Fraudulent transaction instead of get involve in something like Avatar unless it's illegal. There are more important things to do than the avatar:
- Make rules in the Wanted to buy section to reduce the number of fake buyers ($1,000 for one word dot com) and if the OP did not reply once every 24/48 hours then close the thread. Many members just post in WTB but never buy anything.
- NP should not control who is paying the fees when selling or buying. This is the agreement between buyer/seller and Escrow companies are ok with that so why NP dictates who is paying for Escrow fees.
- Too me it looks like there is a shortage for Mods here. For the size like this forum you should have more mods instead just 1 or 2 under more names
- Mods should never engage in a conversation to prove that they FEEL the decision is right.

I rest my case. This is one of the reasons I don't post much anymore.

•••
Elad N , is a valuable contributor, it's sad to see him leaving...

•••
I'm glad I cancelled any paid membership last year -- I am now VERY seriously considering leaving this platform altogether this week.

•••
Is a potential buyer putting pressure on the forum to clean up before a sale?

Who is going to buy Namepros - Godaddy, ICANN, Epik, Sav, Ebay? Ethos Capital? Donuts? Adam Dicker on credit? Wix? Someone wanting a feeder for a marketplace?

Would this be a distressed sale - are revenues down? Advertising expenditure everywhere is going down, a lot of people are hurting.

At one time UK banks went through a phase of buying estate agents (real estate agencies) and found often they ended up just owning an empty office, since what counted was the knowledge and contacts of the people in the office, who often went elsewhere after the sale.

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back