Dynadot

See you around

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Namepros forced me to change my avatar- Do you find it or me disturbing

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    5.6%
  • No

votes
    94.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Elad n

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Striving for a better or new standard of professionalism is fine. At the mods/admin, there are countless members whom have contributed so much of their time and efforts throughout the years here. Have you considered a grandfather clause of sorts, towards members that have established themselves over time and commitment to NP, at least?

If someone's picture does not fit current standards but is clearly part of an individuals persona that they've built up over time, and has been professional throughout in other aspects, perhaps some leniency in a grandfathered way could be applied.

•••
Striving for a better or new standard of professionalism is fine. At the mods/admin, there are countless members whom have contributed so much of their time and efforts throughout the years here. Have you considered a grandfather clause of sorts, towards members that have established themselves over time and commitment to NP, at least?

If someone's picture does not fit current standards but is clearly part of an individuals persona that they've built up over time, and has been professional throughout in other aspects, perhaps some leniency in a grandfathered way could be applied.
That sounds reasonable.

•••
Elad is one of the most interesting members here.I have done business with him and we shared a lot of ideas .I have gotten tips from him and a thread he started,I have used to invest wisely on some liquid domains.

I am disappointed with namepros for letting a good member leave over an avatar(really?)Kudos to all the members on his side.

Still 🤔 about this .

•••
me, before logging into namepros
suits.gif

•••
I just noticed this response to the OP by Mod Team Bravo.

If you really think losing a highly valuable member over some avatar nonsense is best for the future, you are sadly mistaken.

Brad

Whats happening in "the future" that the forum needs to be "disinfected" for? Thats what my immediate thought was to that mod response.

•••
Just a thought to avoid such an issue in the future, if suggestions re this matter as I understand the matter are welcome.

Many new members join daily/weekly/annually.

What about " reviewing " the username and avatar soon after the newbies arrive and at their onset
accept or reject either their username and/or avatar?

And as avatars change should same be reviewed to ensure reasonable compliance with a " soon-to-be-written-and-published " Forum guideline with examples illustrating both acceptable and unacceptable for avatars and user names?

As I am a guest of the Forum's ownership I surly have no objection to guidelines that are published, easy to interpret and applied equally to all other guests (members) of ownership.

But to think that one single objection to the avatar of a long term visible member can trigger such a sequence of events is a bit surprising.

I like harmony though surly I am not so naive, ignorant nor stupid to think that kumbaya is the rallying call of the masses on the Forum as after all, this is primarily a forum for domain buyers and sellers who are natural competitors for domain names and their attendant dollars.

I began to wonder what " might " have been possible ( although remote ) objections to that avatar or to a similar avatar prior to this thread..

Possible - though remote - objection 1: Though highly unlikely there possibly " could be " an objection to the avatars’ use from the original photographer or the film studio on a legal claim of copyright infringement;

Possible - though remote - objection 2: Someone, somehow, felt the avatar indicated the celebrity was endorsing the user.

However, the criteria used to review & reject the avatar was to declare same " non" professional “ and that is rather subjective though certainly within the prerogative of the moderation / ownership team.

That is an objection to the avatar I would not have considered until the publishing of this thread.

Hence the need for Forum avatar and username guidelines including acceptable and unacceptable examples, subjective yes but well within the reigns of ownership.

If ownership wishes to instill and project a more professional appearance for their Forum, so be it, it is their investment and their decision as to the direction and appearance of their Forum.

Forums work best IMO when all members believe reasonable and clear doctrines of fairness are applied to all.

Fairness breeds harmony among the reasonable masses.

Last edited:
•••
Wow

Just when you thought 2020 could not get anymore upside down

This is ludicrous.

When you being to silence peoples ,free speech, opinions, beliefs, and self expression....you don't become a leader..you become the opposite actually .

This is very unfortunate @elad helped and taught me much, both in post and DM. He brought a great amount of value to this forum.

4-88 says you should be Impeached!( IMHO)

Last edited:
•••
I think this is ridiculous. This is a forum and edgy usernames and avatars are simply a part of that. Now, if the avatar is very offensive or gross, I'd get it, but I think anyone here agrees that wasn't the case. Personally, I support the use of real names and pictures but it should remain a choice imo.

•••
Tips to create change at NamePros:

Better communication.

Here are some things that do not lead to change:
  • Repeating yourself
  • Getting angry
  • Aggression
  • Disrespect
  • Doing things out of spite ("to prove a point")
  • Reacting without thinking
  • Being abrasive
  • Acting crudely
  • Ignoring or disregarding the other side
  • Antagonizing
  • Attacking
  • Threatening
These types of things are ineffective because they don't change anyone's perspective. The only way change can happen is if you help us understand your logical perspective. "Because everyone says so" is not a logical explanation; it's missing the why everyone feels that way, which may be because they (or we) don't understand something.

If you want to help, please explain why you disagree with us and why you believe that your perspective makes more sense.

For example, telling us that we’re wrong in 1000 posts without an explanation does not help, but taking the time to articulate why you think we're wrong and what we should do instead could lead to a positive change with only 1 post.

Unfortunately, many replies approach these situations with more of a lynch mob mentality, but the only thing that does is cause problems and no one achieves anything.

We hope this explanation will help us to work together to improve, find common ground, or at least have a better understanding of each side.

•••
To address some of the comments in this thread:
  1. We’ve asked and confirmed that NamePros has not been sold since the last time it was publicly announced, is not preparing for a sale, and is not for sale.
  2. The expectations of professionalism (e.g., acceptable posts, usernames, and avatars) have been the same since 2015. We will try to do better at conveying these expectations in additional help guides and providing more examples for clarity.
  3. We've explained that we voted the same as the majority in the poll and that the poll is not relevant.
    • Some members have messaged us that they didn't think it was unprofessional until they learned the context of it, and now they believe it's unprofessional. The poll question is not presented in a way for it to be useful; it's the equivalent of asking someone to choose a president without understanding anything about their policies or plans.
  4. The relevant posts in this thread are those that address these types of questions:
  5. We do review some of the avatars and usernames of new registrations, but when there are a lot or we are busy with other matters, many go unchecked.
  6. It is not practical or sensible to review every username and avatar. When they are brought to our attention, or we notice them, then we follow the procedures we're tasked to follow.
  7. We understand that "professional" is a subjective word. The definition even varies across moderators, which is why one moderator may think the situation is "heated debate" and another may think it's "unacceptable." We are working on that, but we've provided an analogy in this thread that we hope will help until the guides are ready.

There are a lot of posts in this thread, and we appreciate the time you've spent to contribute to it. However, we have many other responsibilities to the community, so we cannot read them all as thoroughly as we'd like. If you feel something is important and we missed it, then please contact support so we can discuss it.

Thank you.

•••
To address some of the comments in this thread:
  1. We’ve asked and confirmed that NamePros has not been sold since the last time it was publicly announced, is not preparing for a sale, and is not for sale.
  2. The expectations of professionalism (e.g., acceptable posts, usernames, and avatars) have been the same since 2015. We will try to do better at conveying these expectations in additional help guides and providing more examples for clarity.
  3. We've explained that we voted the same as the majority in the poll and that the poll is not relevant.
    • Some members have messaged us that they didn't think it was unprofessional until they learned the context of it, and now they believe it's unprofessional. The poll question is not presented in a way for it to be useful; it's the equivalent of asking someone to choose a president without understanding anything about their policies or plans.
  4. The relevant posts in this thread are those that address these types of questions:
  5. We do review some of the avatars and usernames of new registrations, but when there are a lot or we are busy with other matters, many go unchecked.
  6. It is not practical or sensible to review every username and avatar. When they are brought to our attention, or we notice them, then we follow the procedures we're tasked to follow.
  7. We understand that "professional" is a subjective word. The definition even varies across moderators, which is why one moderator may think the situation is "heated debate" and another may think it's "unacceptable." We are working on that, but we've provided an analogy in this thread that we hope will help until the guides are ready.

There are a lot of posts in this thread, and we appreciate the time you've spent to contribute to it. However, we have many other responsibilities to the community, so we cannot read them all as thoroughly as we'd like. If you feel something is important and we missed it, then please contact support so we can discuss it.

Thank you.

Well as I said earlier
do not want to single out one member, let's put together a post that we want to have a more professional looking forum.

You should be looking at a post - Please be advised that members who have an avatar that does not fit with our enhanced professional standards will be kindly asked to change the avatar. We will not be holding a poll for each avatar, if you are asked to change it please change it. If you will not change it, we will refund you any 2020 membership fees you paid and close your account.

Namepros will be updating our terms of service that members understand by joining we can rule what avatars are professional and which are not.

If other avatars are not removed you singled out Elad N. Trust me people will be getting you the reports on avatars so you can remove them.

Last edited:
•••
If you want to help, please explain why you disagree with us and why you believe that your perspective makes more sense.

It is sad that you saw all those negative aspects and did not see all the posts or parts of them where it was explained in detail why 97% of people disagree with you. And yet, the result of that explanation is ZERO. So what is the point of reasoning if it is absolutely ignored and you are getting more and more defensive of your bad decision?

•••
what is the point of reasoning if it is absolutely ignored and you are getting more and more defensive of your bad decision?

Exactly.

Brad

•••
I joined this forum to gain more domaining knowledge from members like Elad, Riz, and many others like them. Members who share sales, give advice, and so on. Not to look at their avatars, there are other sites for this ...

•••
See you around guys, i wont be using this platform anymore since they shut my mouth and removed my avatar.

They say its not professional so the PROFESSIONAL thing to do is to ask them to close my account.

Good luck you all!

Moderator responses:
Important questions:

I have not read the enormous 15+ page thread, but I will say that the OP is making a big mistake. I am all for free speech and free expression, but NP offers such a valuable service free of change. If I were OP, I would simply just comply with the request, so I can take advantage of everything NP has to offer including great deals in the marketplace. You can still show your sense of humo(u)r using a different avatar.

By the way, I do not take offense to his avatar at all. On eBay for example, I have seen pictures of young topless teenage looking girls on domain name listings. Now many would consider that more offensive...

•••
I have not read the enormous 15+ page thread, but I will say that the OP is making a big mistake. I am all for free speech and free expression, but NP offers such a valuable service free of change. If I were OP, I would simply just comply with the request, so I can take advantage of everything NP has to offer including great deals in the marketplace. You can still show your sense of humo(u)r using a different avatar.

By the way, I do not take offense to his avatar at all. On eBay for example, I have seen pictures of young topless teenage looking girls on domain name listings. Now many would consider that more offensive...

This isnt ebay, allow sellers upcharge +$54 for free pushes -$116 4l (shortname lowest fixed)

ebay has no integrity, or even care for domains

Last edited:
•••
•••
@Samer true I agree Ebay's fees are atrocious, but the topic at hand is regarding what's considered offensive imagery in the domaining professional world - whether it's an avatar or an image used to sell your names.

•••
@Samer true I agree Ebay's fees are atrocious, but the topic at hand is regarding what's considered offensive imagery in the domaining professional world - whether it's an avatar or an image used to sell your names.

this isnt “ebay fees.”

These are voluntarily added by individual seller masqueraded +$54 shipping” on $116 4l.com

I’ve reported of them; ebay does nothing
Pushes are free 99% registrars; this is 1 them

all sellers; free shipping digital except him relevant since show intentions and negligence

Last edited:
•••
dnoaf.jpg

I'll be stopping by NP less frequently now. Something smells fishy and I don't like it.

•••
@NextGen Brand,

We appreciate that you took the time to help us realize why it may have been taken so personally and meant so much to him. The member could have explained that to us and things likely would have gone very differently, but either way, we're glad that you've explained it.

After your explanation, we can acknowledge that we could have handled it better.

We are going to update the templates that we use for this in an effort to avoid it from happening again.

Thank you.

•••
@NextGen Brand,

We appreciate that you took the time to help us realize why it may have been taken so personally and meant so much to him. The member could have explained that to us and things likely would have gone very differently, but either way, we're glad that you explained it.

After your explanation, we can acknowledge that we could have handled it better.

We are going to update the templates that we use for this in an effort to avoid it from happening again.

Thank you.

Sorry I deleted my post. I thought it would come across maybe has one sided because I do have some affiliation to Elad.

But fair play that is a massive step you and the team are taking in acknowledging that this maybe could have been handled slightly differently.

Gary.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry I deleted my post. I thought it would come across maybe as one sided because I do have some affiliation with Elad.

But fair play that is a massive step you and your team are taking in acknowledging that this maybe could have been handled slightly differently.

Gary.

literally best case,

I like it, protect his privacy

and still got the message across

(No, i did not see it)

•••
I've held my comments on this subject, so not to engage, or possibly make matters worse. I'm not sure what benefit commenting in a thread like this has. Or if the juice is worth the squeeze here. But FWIW my 2¢

Though, I can see both sides of the argument.

I voted no.

But I don't know the full backstory.

If the avatar was changed to intimidate another member, then I completely understand the strong reaction.

However, if the avatar was apart of the members long time nP persona, and there was no hidden antagonizing meaning, I could see an argument where the member who reported the avatar could have done so to antagonize (or pick at) the member for possibly an outside issue. And I question if that type of behavior could be more damaging to the forum, in that, if picking at the members avatar causes him/her to leave nP, and we lose a valuable member, then well, I don't think that is cool.

Seeing, how backlinks work, and trickle down of the internet, I completely understand why members like @bmugford have taken a hard stance as to voicing their opinions for fairness. When a conversation occurs and it (roots) from namePros, and that nP thread link is passed around as fact, to some of the darkest places of the internet, some members comments can cast a certain light on nP, and possibly invite outside harassment, or a change of sentiment amongst the forums most active members.

So the mods have to draw the line somewhere. As some of the forums most active members have evolved from their mistakes over time, and in hopes of creating future active members, tolerance and teaching is a necessary line to balance, while maintaining the forums most critical core ethos.

I miss my grilled cheese avatar. It had meaning to me. But some found it disrespectful. It may come back one day. Maybe not. Until then, my avatar remains faceless by default. Not sure I would agree or like it if everyone followed in my footsteps, and removed their avatar though. I feel It takes away from the personality of the forum.

I recall having an avatar infraction in the past, below is a clear example where I was out of line, and changing my avatar was more of an antagonistic action, tantrum like, to make a bold statement, that apparently, I wasn't happy with being banned from chat. I don't remember what I said to get a chat ban, though, if it was for something minor, banning me from chat could have been a necessary measure to mitigate any further outbursts, as typically, misunderstandings illicit the majority of my unprofessional behavior.

Below is the infraction I received a few years ago (not related to the grilled cheese avatar).

This warning has been issued for violating the following rules: 1.5. & 1.2 - uploading the following avatar - https://www.namepros.com/data/avatars/m/963/963724.jpg?1489643485
1.2. Be professional, tactful, and constructive at all times. Do not harass, threaten, attack, instigate, insult, or antagonize others.
1.5. Do not post topics or comments that are critical of NamePros policy, staff, or moderation activity; not limited to discussion about infractions or edited and deleted posts.

It's my hopes that you will choose to take a few steps back to rethink the direction you are headed. All members must follow the same rules and we play no favorites. It would be nice to see you become a productive member of NamePros again. You seem to have lost your way somewhere and got caught up in a few negative, heated topics that appear to now be spreading all over the community and affecting other users experience.

The avatar you created and uploaded is a clear antagonistic attempt to harass NamePros moderators, which is not allowed. You are more than welcome to replace your avatar with something that complies with our rules.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for understanding.

Last edited:
•••
The relevant matter is whether it is considered professional to have a picture of a scene from a movie where the person is trying to kill someone. The answer is no, it is not professional. Yes, that's an opinion. Yes, you may disagree. But that's the decision we made after it was reported to us.
I've held my comments on this subject, so not to engage, or possibly make matters worse. I'm not sure what benefit commenting in a thread like this has. Or if the juice is worth the squeeze here. But FWIW my 2¢

Though, I can see both sides of the argument.

I voted no.

But I don't know the full backstory.

If the avatar was changed to intimidate another member, then I completely understand the strong reaction.

However, if the avatar was apart of the members long time nP persona, and there was no hidden antagonizing meaning, I could see an argument where the member who reported the avatar could have done so to antagonize (or pick at) the member for possibly an outside issue. And I question if that type of behavior could be more damaging to the forum, in that, if picking at the members avatar causes him/her to leave nP, and we lose a valuable member, then well, I don't think that is cool.

Seeing, how backlinks work, and trickle down of the internet, I completely understand why members like @bmugford have taken a hard stance as to voicing their opinions for fairness. When a conversation occurs and it (roots) from namePros, and that nP thread link is passed around as fact, to some of the darkest places of the internet, some members comments can cast a certain light on nP, and possibly invite outside harassment, or a change of sentiment amongst the forums most active members.

So the mods have to draw the line somewhere. As some of the forums most active members have evolved from their mistakes over time, and in hopes of creating future active members, tolerance and teaching is a necessary line to balance, while maintaining the forums most critical core ethos.

I miss my grilled cheese avatar. It had meaning to me. But some found it disrespectful. It may come back one day. Maybe not. Until then, my avatar remains faceless by default. Not sure I would agree or like it if everyone followed in my footsteps, and removed their avatar though. I feel It takes away from the personality of the forum.

I recall having an avatar infraction in the past, below is a clear example where I was out of line, and changing my avatar was more of an antagonistic action, tantrum like, to make a bold statement, that apparently, I wasn't happy with being banned from chat. I don't remember what I said to get a chat ban, though, if it was for something minor, banning me from chat could have been a necessary measure to mitigate any further outbursts, as typically, misunderstandings illicit the majority of my unprofessional behavior.

Below is the infraction I received a few years ago (not related to the grilled cheese avatar).

I do remember the drama around your original name and avatar. Thank you.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back