Dynadot

Sedo is killing itself with nonsense again

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
When a domain is visited, before the visitor can see anything, s/he has to answer a privacy question.
This would prevent people from seeing that this domain is for sale and discourage people from placing a bid on the domain. Why would Sedo do this: to collect cookie data and to sell it to other companies. And this would cost us many sales.
The system works if you say no, so why not just assume that the answer is no?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i want to hear their story; @Sedo

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Agree. No need to place that warning occuping the whole page. Nobody does this.
Just place the warning at the bottom of the page, like everyone else.

•••
Since the EU cookie directive applies only to European Union, I was hoping that at least vistors from outside EU would not be affected. I was wrong :(

In particular:

- Parked domains are, indeed, not affected if visited from outside EU.

- URLs on sedo.com, such as new page which opens after clicking forsale banner on parking page, are all affected with this nonsense. I guess that all new forsale-only landers are also 100% affected, since they are located on sedo .com

So, can @Sedo please - a) remove any type of cookie warning from sedo.com (.de, .co.uk etc) pages for non-EU based visitors b) make this obligatory warning as small as possible, and located in the bottom, for EU-based visitors c) consider operating without cookies ;). It is not impossible. Even login area can operate without cookies if programmed properly. Less tracking? Sorry, but sales are more important.

As a side note, godaddy does not bother non-EU based visitors with cookie acceptance popups at all. It overtracks all visitors though, sending them a dozen or so of different cookies (different types also), but it is another story.

Last edited:
•••
This has more to do with the ads they serve than the parking page. It's one of the reasons why I moved away from other service providers that are primarily focused on serving ads instead of encouraging visitors to consider buying or leasing the domain.

•••
I'm outside EU... and I see those annoying popups...

•••
This has more to do with the ads they serve than the parking page. It's one of the reasons why I moved away from other service providers that are primarily focused on serving ads instead of encouraging visitors to consider buying or leasing the domain.
This banner appears on their new sales landers... and even when visiting just sedo.com

•••
It asks until you accept or refuse it...
My cache and cookies are stored in RAM... so I get this banner regularly after shutdown/restart...

•••
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments

First things first Sedo does not collect cookie data and sell it to other companies, protecting your data is our top priority!

As a company with offices in Boston and headquarters in Germany, we have dealt intensively with the data protection requirements in order to be compliant not just in the EU, but also in the rest of the world.

The GDPR sets out clear requirements about informing customers and visitors of our site, that we use cookies to enhance the experience for the better. Complying with these requirements is necessary on our part, because the protection of your data is very important to us.

We would therefore like to ask you for your understanding on the matter.

Your Sedo Team

•••

Thats brilliant decision

•••
got a $5 click the other day at sedo

it pays to rotate sometimes

:)

imo….

•••
When a domain is visited, before the visitor can see anything, s/he has to answer a privacy question.
This would prevent people from seeing that this domain is for sale and discourage people from placing a bid on the domain. Why would Sedo do this: to collect cookie data and to sell it to other companies. And this would cost us many sales.
The system works if you say no, so why not just assume that the answer is no?

do you mean sale landers? parked page? or both?
isn't this answer only a one time thing everyone these days has tro do now on all sites .. as part of new rules...

•••
Since the EU cookie directive applies only to European Union, I was hoping that at least vistors from outside EU would not be affected. I was wrong :(

In particular:

- Parked domains are, indeed, not affected if visited from outside EU.

- URLs on sedo.com, such as new page which opens after clicking forsale banner on parking page, are all affected with this nonsense. I guess that all new forsale-only landers are also 100% affected, since they are located on sedo .com

So, can @Sedo please - a) remove any type of cookie warning from sedo.com (.de, .co.uk etc) pages for non-EU based visitors b) make this obligatory warning as small as possible, and located in the bottom, for EU-based visitors c) consider operating without cookies ;). It is not impossible. Even login area can operate without cookies if programmed properly. Less tracking? Sorry, but sales are more important.

As a side note, godaddy does not bother non-EU based visitors with cookie acceptance popups at all. It overtracks all visitors though, sending them a dozen or so of different cookies (different types also), but it is another story.

Looks like from @Sedo reply they have no intention of doing anything you asked.

•••
@Sedo
This thread is not about your cookies... but about your annoying banner...
Is it so hard just to show the additional line at the bottom of page as all other websites do... why this popup?!

•••
Sedo, proving the stereotype right

change is hard...

Samer

Last edited:
•••
do you mean sale landers? parked page? or both?

although i see it when visiting "sedo.com".....I don't see the cookie banner when visiting:
(ppc page) 150.org
(sales lander) sqaz.com

do you?

and if not, then not a barrier for type-in traffic

imo...

•••
although i see it when visiting "sedo.com".....I don't see the cookie banner when visiting:
(ppc page) 150.org
(sales lander) sqaz.com
Did you "accept" cookies on the 1st banner (sedo.com)?

•••
Did you "accept" cookies on the 1st banner (sedo.com)?

I wasn't logged in to sedo, when I went to those ppc and sales pages directly.

but when I went to sedo.com, after.... then the cookie banner was there to accept or decline.

and you can decline and still login though.

imo...

•••
Login doesn't matter...
Banner shows only once - if you clicked it, further visits will be without it regardless of where you go...

Last edited:
•••
Login doesn't matter...
Banner shows only once, if you clicked it - further visits will be without it regardless of where you go...

basically, what i'm saying is.....
the whole topic doesn't matter,
because the number of visitors to my domains hasn't changed or been affected.

sure, it might be an annoyance, just like other things in life that you can't do nothing about.....
but you move on

now, if or when it starts to have a negative effect on the volume of visitors, then yeah.

imo...

•••
Dan marketplace is also EU based... but I don't see any warning there, even in their footer...

•••
(ppc page) 150.org
(sales lander) sqaz.com

do you?

and if not, then not a barrier for type-in traffic

imo...

I didn't see it when I visited those domains either. I did see a accept cookies banner when I visited Sedo.com.

•••
I didn't see it when I visited those domains either. I did see a accept cookies banner when I visited Sedo.com.
Because you already clicked it, it appears until you click it.

•••
Overall, I didn't get any gain using those new landers since Sep'2019 (when I started to use them)...
So slowly but surely I'm moving my domains to UniRegistry templates or back to Bodis/ParkingCrew...

•••
No thanks. I'm not sending visiters to that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back