Dynadot

SEDO account closed for no reason, wtf

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I have had an account there for years now. Sold a couple of domains via them. Parked various sites. I had about 60 sites in the past month that I added to my parking. It seemed like it was even making decent traffic and clicks between teh sites. I think I went from almost $20 in my account to over $50

today I go to check it and it was closed. Anyone have any ideas wtf is up with this company?

None of my domains were TM issues or anything like that. No fraud on my end either.

There is not even a way to properly contact these people either :(

I am very surprised about this and they are gonna be considered trash in my book in my opinion.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
ok message sent, we will see what happens.

•••
Let us know, it's not the first time i read about account closing by Sedo with no good reasons.

•••
still no response from SEDO besides there "we are looking into it email"

•••
You must tell us what happend after you receive SEDO reply.

•••
edit...

Whoops, I had the wrong log-in info.

Mine is cool.

Keep us posted on your account,
and I hope it is a simple mistake like I made. :lol:
Good Luck.

Last edited:
•••
•••
they wont listen.

as you are talking with some useless bots in sedo.com :td:

•••
still no response.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

here is the original message sent on Thu 1/21/10 4:18 PM

Dear XXXXX The reference number for your question is 'XXXXXXXXXXX'. You should receive a response by email from our support department in the order that it was received. Please note that the customer support team is available Monday to Friday from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm EST. Kind regards, Your Sedo Team

•••
The same thing just happened to me this weekend. They never even emailed me to tell me they closed the account or to say why they closed it. There was no warning that they were planning to close it. I have also emailed them but have not heard back yet. This is an unacceptable way to run a business IMO. I had also just received an offer on a name so now I'm not going to be able to make the sale. None of my parked domains with them have TM problems either.

•••
I am sorry to hear that, nrm.

According to threads on the forums, one of the main reasons sedo closes accounts is suspicious traffic/clicks on domains parked with sedo.

•••
Here is the response that I got from them in my inbox this morning. I have no idea about this cigarette website, but they must think I am doing something fishy. I sent them a nice response complaining and saying I will move on. But still be warned, SEDO is a trash company now in my book.

Hello XXXXXs,

thank you for your mail.

I disagree with your statement, mostly because the statistics on the domain are very similar, as if the traffic was evenly distributed, same goes for the clicks.

Furthermore, the majority of your domains show a referring site named "cheap-24h.com/" which is very unusual for domains that do not have anything to do with cigarettes, as well as the fact that unrelated domains rarely get traffic from the same source.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards,

XXXX XXXXXXXX

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

They also responded ...

the problem is that it is not a single domain that gets those referrals, but most of your domains.

We run a risk of your domains having so called "spam traffic", as it is named by our advertising partner, which leads to severe deductions for us and damage the domain parking landscape as a whole, because spam traffic usually refers to click fraud or clicks that did not convert.

Although you might not be the person responsible for the traffic, it is our responsibility to ensure that our advertising partner gets traffic of the highest possible quality and sorting out the bad traffic.

I kindly ask for your understanding in this matter.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards,

XXXXXXXX XX

•••
So, it was suspicious traffic then.

•••
sedo sucks! I remember when they also closed my account! grr..I guess I was making too much money hehe

•••
if you have nothing wrong, no one would close your account/care you how much you make, tell us the truth please.

•••
One thing people often forget is - it is against Sedo TOS to promote/link your domains parked with Sedo.
I've seen links to parked domains many times - in signatures, domain portfolios, forums, blogs...
If someone wish to link those domains, it should be "sedo.com/search/details.php4?domain=YourDomain".

Heres the qoute from sedo:
"Sedo only accepts natural traffic. Promoting or driving traffic to your parked domains violates Sedo’s Terms of Use and our Rules for Domain Parkers.
Fake traffic may include, but is not limited to, the following:

* Traffic from a visitor exchange system
* Advertising the domain in forums or e-mails
* Encouraging friends or family to visit the page>
* Linking the site to a link list
* Using Google AdWords™ or other similar programs
* Generating traffic from scripts, robots, etc
* Self-generated clicks and traffic"

•••
I created my account in the morning and they closed it some time after that. I am amazed lol. They didn't even inform me. This is a very good way to welcome your new customers. Kudos to Sedo.
I have sent a mail to their security team. Let's see if they find some time to revert.

•••
Update : Sedo has responded, reviewed and opened my account again.

•••
Back