IT.COM

Scammed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Scammed (Resolving)

Okay this is a long story so ill try and keep it short.
About 1 month ago i sold a name for $3k and i was looking for another business deal to invest in and i had this guy OdditySoftware on my msn who was looking for a 1/3 partner in SigRent.com which i jumped at sent the money right away.
I never heard from him until i filed a claim which then he said he had been away and he will have the site up the next day if i canceled the claim being a trust worthy guy i did.
That was 2 weeks ago and still no contact he comes to the forum every day as he has posts and shows online but he never reply's to my pm's or e-mails this has been going on 1 month and i am quite certain there isnt going to be a site.
I write this as i am looking for different options to get my money back maybe someone can get in contact with him and help me out.
Im only 15 and $1,000 usd around $1,200 Aud is quite alot of money to lose as thats around half a years work for me.
So i am asking for some help in recovering my funds.
Also i am trying to not use a credit card charge back if my parents find out i wont be able to do business online again.
Thanks for your time and hopefully you can help me out i am willing to offer $100 to who ever helps in recovering my money.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Chargeback does not hurt his credit rating as an individual.

Thats incorrect, if you chageback an item 2 month after you buy it, credit card companies don't take it easily on you!
Thats why i suggested to chargeback asap before he runs into further problems!

The more he leaves it the worse it will get...
He can do it via a paypal dispute but its really not why paypal is made for, paypal was originally made for ebay secure payments and the dispute policy is really based on the ebay system, doubt they will do much for domains.

Please chargeback asap.

This makes me feel even more angry to know someone 15 ripped off like that!

•••
Just where is Oddity?

This is now the 3rd page of this thread and I still dont see Oddity's reply.

Its not that I want to intervene as this is not really an NP issue, but just to resolve this issue Oddity has to come in and present his side. Oddity's reputation is now at stake.

I believe Oddity is just watching this thread so its just really 'Odd' for him not to reply soon.

Anyway I really hope SigRent will get over this soon for he is too young to experience money problems.
:sick:

•••
i experienced something like this, well it was only £30 but i took it as a matter or principle, all i done was contacted the host, thats all i could think of, and the persons reseller was locked out and disabled, he couldnt do anything, he never paid still, but its these people that ruin online trading, why dont they grow up and mature, btw, do a chargeback

•••
Nasty business....

Im taking it that it wasnt your credit card in which you made the payment from huh..?? So, from that, im also taking it that you never obtained permission to do so?

two matters at hand then. One is quite simple. You MUST inform the card holder (in this case you father) before it gets any further out of hand.. Which it could, believe me...! he will then inform the cc company that his card has been used without his authorisation. They will then get the money back for him from the benefactor..

You do not have a choice in this. Do not try and right a wrong....

Second issue is the lack of response from the person you entered into an agreement with. In the very least, if he doesnt want this played out in the public domain, he should respond to you and answer your mails...

I see RJ and Armstrong have posted here already so no doubt this second issue is in hand.

•••
any new news on this yet?

•••
No i havent heard from him as of yet has anyone else?

•••
Great Points by Ian LISTEN TO THAT SIG. IMO AND Oddity I think his rep past the point on no return. JMO

•••
jamx551 said:
Anyway I really hope SigRent will get over this soon for he is too young to experience money problems.
:sick:

I think its pretty low down what appears to be happening here. However I have to disagree with you on Sig being too young to experience what is going on here. As a 15 year old, he is in a far better position to risk half a year's income and learn some important (though hopefully not too painful) lessons than a retired person would be for example.

Sig, I wish you the best and I'm certain that if not too much time has passed, you will recover your money from the credit card company. See, one lesson learned: always use a credit card online - not a debit card :cy:

•••
Sig, really sorry but the firm we had reply to him to reslove this situation, well he never replied back to them givng that he got the e-mail sent from them.

I would go to the next steps now..

1. Pay Pal

2. Charge Back

3. Contact His Registra, do what ever you can do to get this person to respond

4. If he is with Truste or BBB contact them, contact them anyway.

Sorry I could not help anymore then the above.....

•••
I have no idea why he doesn't just post on this thread, but here's oddity's reply to my PM:

odditysoftware said:
Thw "Go-Live" Date for the site has been set for 5/18/2005, if he ever attended any of the conference calls he would know this information, and as stated before (numerous time) if he wanted to opt out of his percentage of ownership he should have simple sold back his shares. As it stands know there is a chagback for his partnership amount with Paypal anyway. Also I am still unsure how any of this has to do with NamePros anyway? In trying to handle this matter it has been impossible to do so in any open avenue, as he has attempted to reconcile this issue in about 30 different ways (websites, forums, etc.) His "formal" complaint has been filed w/ the credit card company (and Paypal) and we would prefer to handle any issues within that authority.

•••
Well a new turn. I personally thought it was fraud and i appologize for any comments i made to hurt oddity's reputation. Maybe sigrent missed the info he had to attend a confrence call, but as it stands i don't see how a backcharge of paypal would be ethical if what oddity says is correct and you didn't attend a voice confrence after being told!

I suggest you two take this matter via livechat and the mods delete this thread incase oddity's reputation gets damaged wrongfuly!

I can fully understand why sigrent rushed to post this, being only 15 and thought he has lost $1,000 panic + adrenaline :) Hope you resolve the issue but i suggest communication for both parties :)

•••
odd Apollo... can you try to reconcile the OP's assertation that no contact was established for a month or two as claimed?

That seems to be the divining rod right there. If there is a reasonable explanation for that, then so be it.. if not, the OP would be in the right.

however, expecting a 15yr old to understand conference calls, business meetings, the true costs and implications of business (save for sabre who we..i htink can all agree is an exception).. is outside the realm of being reasonable.

•••
Even if Sigrent misunderstood the terms etc, Perhaps and I am sure it is not a Namepros "Problem" so to speak, but this is the only avenue or venue for any of us to get advice etc.

The thead should not be deleted, but I am sure most of us here do not only read left to right, but up and down and right to left.

I think Odd should just contact him directly and set that up, if he does not reply to sigrents "emails" etc, than I have to raise an eyebrow out of curiosity too.

•••
A CONTRACT WITH A 15 year old is not binding under the Laws of the US or Australia, and rep tarnished here would never use site or do business with and would advise anyone else not to. BAD IMO .

Last edited:
•••
lol equity.. i do business with sabre :P He's my host lol.

but again, i just paypal him monthly and never have any issues :) that and sabre is extremely mature (and has a cute mom) :D

•••
equity78 said:
AND IT IS STILL NOT LEGAL TO ENTER INTO A CONTRACT WITH A 15 year old and rep tarnished here would never use site or do business with and would advise anyone else not to. BAD IMO .

There's a big difference between:

"It is not legal to enter into a contract with a 15 year old."

and

"A contract with a 15 year old is not legally binding."

The former implies an illegal/criminal offense, while the latter just renders the contract null and void. Which is it?

•••
Null and Void.

"Sorry Went To Law School"

LOL, not in practice though......

•••
hmm..I'd think it would depend on the circumstances. ie: did he know his age? what are the terms? if there are terms, are they as such that no resonable thinking adult would sign into it?

etc... but this doesnt sound "that" bad.. so I would think null and void as well unless someone can show otherwise?

•••
How does everyone feel in regards to him not replying here? Do you think it is just for privacy reasons, or worried that the thread may get out of hand?

I hope Sigrent lets us know if they have made contact since the PM was replied back to from one of the Admins here.

Looking in from the Outside, I would have thought it better for Odd to contact Sigrent "at least"?

Last edited:
•••
Fair point Armstrong I will edit good point thank you

Well She you make a good point and from a legal stand point I think it is fair to say they have nothing because it is not binding to the 15 year old in this example.

•••
Not replying, imo.. doesnt look good. but you cant persecute/prosecute based on abscence or silence.. regardless of what it looks like.

he may just.. you know..want to not deal with the "crowd" so to speak in hopes the issue just dies off and gets settled.... points to both good and bad, so too hard to say.

•••
Yes, it is hard not to assume, but we have to for the benefit of the doubt.

I guess we will have to wait to hear from sigrent in hopes that they can come to some type of resolution, at least in my cases, life , personal it is better to come to a resoultion and both lose then to have a drawn out debate on who misunderstood who and do something fair.

Without details no one can say either way...

I wish Sigrent and all parties involved the best of luck as you can see, I think Nampros proves as a good mediator and for advice.

:snaphappy:

•••
I had a friend that got ripped off and Paypal wouldnt help. He had the CC do a charge back for the amount. Paypal then froze his account that still had money in it.

If I ever have to do a chargeback I woudl empty my PP first....

•••
Still havent recieved any contact from him as of yet a will leave it a few more days then proceed with a charge back.

•••
Just wondering if anyone has gotten in contact with him?
This is what it has been like since the partnership started and he wrote there was a lack of communication on my behalf.
If not should i proceed with a charge back?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back