Dynadot

Sav Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nick R

VIP Member
Sav.com Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros community! We are creating a single thread where we can share announcements in, talk about product updates, people can ask questions and host a great discussion on all things domains!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Nick R

I have sent a DM with a cancellation request with transaction ID

Already sent support ticket also.

Please do the needful and confirm back

Thanks

•••
Has anybody faced issue with losing domains at Sav, because they did not fully become aware of the expiration until after their web page services have stopped? Maybe I'm misreading or misusing the ICANN wording here? See circled screenshot below

We've lost some Sav registered brandbucket domains (having thousands of domains at sav, renewal emails tend to blend together) and not becoming fully aware a domain had fully expired beyond our ability to manage until brandbucket informed us the domain was no longer redirecting, and upon logging in to our sav account the domain is completely removed from our acct.

It appears that Sav keeps the nameservers intact for sav expired domains until expiration day 30, at which point the domain is removed from the registrants account, nameservers are changed from wherever the registrant had them set and sav assigns ns1-expired.sav.com / ns2-expired.sav.com, then sav sends the 30+ day expired domain to expired auction, where the registrant is then directed there if they hope to renew their domain.

Example: Prompt Well (.) com
  • October 23, 2022 = Domain Expiration
  • September 23rd, 2022 (1 month prior to expiry) = First Expiration Email from Sav
  • October 16th, 2022 (1 week prior to expiry) = Second Expiration Email from Sav
  • November 23rd, 2022 (1 month after expiry) = Email received from BrandBucket informing domain no longer forwards to brandbucket.
  • November 23rd, 2022 = First bid received for the expired auction
  • December 2nd, 2022 = Auction ended.

https://help.sav.com/kb/en/article/redeeming-an-expired-domain

1670185834193.png

I was able to win this domain back at sav expired auction, but the bidding was higher in some other lost auctions that I didn't recover. Had these domains been registered at @Dynadot , @namesilo, NetSol, Register.com, @Porkbun and many others, I believe I would have been able to renew/transfer out til around day 39, instead of forced into auction. In addition, the namesevers would have been changed upon expiring, and that nameserver change would have forced alerts that my domain is no longer live, making me immediately aware that domain needs to be renewed ASAP.

I will obviously try to do a better job managing inventory, but I am wondering if Savs poilicy of not interrupting the web page service after expiration before deleting the domain is grounds for an ICANN complaint, or am I reading ICANNS domain name renewal complain wrong? Welcome @jberryhill or anybody else to chime in here:::

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/domain-name-renewal-complaint-27jun17-en.pdf

1670185357347.png

Last edited:
•••
@Chris Hydrick

I am planning on filing a complaint with ICANN in regards to the same issue. Sav don’t allow their customers to redeem domain names after grace renewal period with the excuse that the names have gone into expired auctions. Which is of course done in direct violation of the guidelines set by ICANN for registrars to follow. Usually customers should have the right to redeem their expired domains after the grace renewal period by paying a redemption fee (which is $80 USD for all TLDs according to Sav pricing). Expired auctions are something that registrars do without being sanctioned by ICANN exclusively. The fact that a given domain name has been put in expired auction by the registrar cannot in any case strip the original registrant from their right to redeem the same domain name by paying the redemption fee. With this being said their suggestion that you can redeem your domain name by participating in the auction and winning it is simply ridiculous and is again a violation of registrants’ rights.

I am inviting anybody who has been affected in similar ways by Sav’s wrongdoings to join me in filing a complaint with ICANN. We can also send an inquiry to the US Federal Trade Commission and ask them whether such behaviour by the registrar cannot be considered an unfair trade practice.

Last edited:
•••
@Chris Hydrick

I am planning on filing a complaint with ICANN in regards to the same issue. Sav don’t allow their customers to redeem domain names after grace renewal period with the excuse that the names have gone into expired auctions. Which is of course done in direct violation of the guidelines set by ICANN for registrars to follow. Usually customers should have the right to redeem their expired domains after the grace renewal period by paying a redemption fee (which is $80 USD for all TLDs according to Sav pricing). Expired auctions are something that registrars do without being sanctioned by ICANN exclusively. The fact that a given domain name has been put in expired auction by the registrar cannot in any case strip the original registrant from their right to redeem the same domain name by paying the redemption fee. With this being said the suggestion that you can redeem your domain name by participating in the auction and winning it is simply ridiculous and is again a violation of registrants’ rights.

I am inviting anybody who has been affected in similar ways by Sav’s wrongdoings to join me in filing a complaint with ICANN. We can also send an inquiry to the US Federal Trade Commission and ask them whether such behaviour by the registrar cannot be considered an unfair trade practice.

ICANN Complaints for renewals/redemptions look to be handled here:

https://icannportal.force.com/compliance/s/renewal-redemption

More about ICANN complaints:

https://www.icann.org/compliance/complaint

Last edited:
•••
@Chris Hydrick

You are not misreading ICANN guidelines. You are 100% right. It’s Sav who are violating ICANN rules. You should be allowed to renew your name during the Auto-renew period by paying the standard renewal fee and also you should be allowed to redeem the name during the Redemption period by paying a redemption fee. The expired auction is not part of the process and cannot override your rights over your name as the original registrant. As you can see ICANN never and nowhere mention such thing as “expired auction”. Expired auctions are something that registrars are not explicitly prohibited to do, but again they shouldn’t change the process. If you want to redeem your name you should be able to do so, and you don’t have to participate in the auction. Once you express your will to redeem your expired name they should immediately cancel the auction and allow you to pay the redemption fee and restore your domain. Things are pretty black and white here and Sav are in violation of the rules. Simple as that.

Last edited:
•••
@Chris Hydrick

You are not misreading ICANN guidelines. You are 100% right.

To be clear, I don't know if I'm 100% on this. Which is why I came here to seek guidance/clearification from Sav or others, before filing a complaint. I feel frustratrated in sav for this policy to be forcing me into auction instead of an ability to renew until day 39, but I'm not yet sure if the noninteruption part meets an ICANN complaint. They did give me 30 days to renew, but the confusing part is to send the domain to auction as soon as my name server services are cut off by way of sav changing my nameservers from brandbucket nameservers to ns1/ns2-expired.sav.com at expired day 30/31 opposed to at expired day 1/2.

There is some wording from ICANN that confuses me, "Auto-Renew Grace Period Optional period of 0 to 45 days after expiration during which your registrar may allow you to renew your domain name." Notably, it says may allow you, not must allow you

But I realized Sav MAY be against ICANN agreement when I read ICANN's helpful filing tip that stated, "Your registrar did not interrupt your web page service after expiration before deleting the domain name." because the disrupt in NS services was what prompted to me to return to Sav.com to renew my domain that had apparently been expired for some 30/31 days, and already in sav expired auction. That's the part I'm not sure if I'm understanding clearly.

Last edited:
•••
Wow, I knew .com rules were weird, but didn't know they were *that* weird. "Your registrar did not interrupt your web page service after expiration before deleting the domain name." as a reason for the complaint? Ridiculous. If anything, the registrant should be grateful the website and mail keeps working after the deadline - it's the norm that people are late on payments and then cry that the mail stops working...

However "Your registrar did not permit you to renew your domain name during the Auto-Renew Grace Period." is the exact rule that sav and many others are breaking. Registrar-held "expired auctions" are ridiculous and should be stopped. Expired domains should only be put on "last minute" auctions with the explicit permission from the registrant and proceeds should be split fairly between the domain owner and the auction venue. As it stands, registrars unfairly benefit from people losing domains due to various life events. Again, it's not only sav, but most others, with godaddy in the lead.

•••
Ridiculous. If anything, the registrant should be grateful the website and mail keeps working after the deadline - it's the norm that people are late on payments and then cry that the mail stops working...

To that extent, I agree. However, I do wish there was a break in service before the domain was sent directly to auction beyond my ability to renew. I could be reading the ICANN statement wrong, just thinking if I am reading it correctly, the break in service requirement could serve as a notification purpose beyond email reminders to help protect the registrant.

However "Your registrar did not permit you to renew your domain name during the Auto-Renew Grace Period." is the exact rule that sav and many others are breaking. Registrar-held "expired auctions" are ridiculous and should be stopped. Expired domains should only be put on "last minute" auctions with the explicit permission from the registrant and proceeds should be split fairly between the domain owner and the auction venue. As it stands, registrars unfairly benefit from people losing domains due to various life events. Again, it's not only sav, but most others, with godaddy in the lead.

Sav had some kind of glitch back in July/August 2021, where sav was emailing sav registrants "increase in available payout balance" emails from sales that appeared to be from expired auctions. I wrote about it on nP, and sav corrected the error; I never received any of the payout... Not sure if that was just a glitch in how sav was logging expired auction sales, but I thought if true, wow, that is the holy grail of a domain registrar expired auction.

My july 2021 post

1670231392198.png

August 2021 Sav response
1670231454537.png

Response:
1670231601745.png

1670231624698.png

1670231647695.png

Last edited:
•••
Not sure if that was just a glitch in how sav was logging expired auction sales, but I thought if true, wow, that is the holy grail of a domain registrar expired auction.

Yeah, that would be really cool. There is a similar function at key-systems - if I don't plan to renew a domain, I can change its status to "send to auction" and then if it sells as an expired domain at (I think) snapnames, then I get a cut. Happened to me once or twice, but overall it's pretty niche and perhaps not even available to normal users (I have a reseller account there). Should be the norm...

•••
Hello All,

I just wanted to give a few notes to officially clarify a few points of discussion over the weekend.

Registrars are not required to provide any use of a domain name after expiration or allow redemptions. However, with most TLDs, we are given a 45-day window so we pass along to registrants 30 days of post-expiration use, and run a 10-day auction to see if anyone else is interested in the domain before we have to give it back to the registry. If you look at https://tld-list.com/ , you will see that Sav frequently is the cheapest registrar for new registration (if you exclude the "1 domain only" promos) and expiring auction revenue helps us to be able to do that.

By default, we enable auto-renewal on all domains to prevent this exact situation from happening. We also send out 3 emails for expired domains as a reminder if auto-renewal is disabled. We don't have a UI to allow customers to redeem domains currently but our support team is happy to handle that through a ticket.

Regarding the DNS Interrupt, please DM me the domain so I can take a look. We do try to interrupt DNS before auction starts but my be prevented from doing so if the domain was flagged for a few different reasons.

We try to cover all of this in our Domain Name Registration Agreement which is publically available here: https://www.sav.com/terms/domain_name_registration

"If an expired domain name is not timely renewed by you, rather than delete the domain name registration, we may, in our sole discretion, attempt to find a third party who is interested in registering, purchasing, or back ordering the domain name, and then renew and transfer the domain name registration to that third party."

"Registry Operators may provide registrars with the ability to "redeem" a deleted domain name registration for a customer, and we in turn may (but are not obligated to) provide customers with an ability to redeem a particular domain name registration. "

"Sav may, but is not obligated to, provide our customers with a "Grace Period" after their domain name registration services expiration date(s) (a "Grace Period" begins on the day after the date of expiration and typically lasts 30 days). "

Feel free to DM me directly with any specific follow-up questions.

•••
Anyone else having issue with domain transfer page?

Tried adding the domains individually on transfer page and nothing happens. I tried using the bulk upload using csv file format and nothing happens.

•••
Anyone else having issue with domain transfer page?

Tried adding the domains individually on transfer page and nothing happens. I tried using the bulk upload using csv file format and nothing happens.
Same thing happening here. Nothing is adding to the cart. Whether I transfer in, or renew.

•••
Not able to backorder either. Anyone able to backorder, renew, or transfer in domains right now??

•••
@Nick R : can't we use sav auctions to sell our domains (at other registrars) with just providing email id and not sharing credit card details (only selling purposes), and if it sells you just send payment after commissions to our paypal. If we were to buy something then I understand the need for sharing credit card details, but why share the credit card details for only selling purposes. Please explain.

•••
Response from Sav:
Sav is currently facing an issue in adding the domain to the cart. Our team is still working to fix this issue.

You should be able to add the domain to the cart at the end of the day. We will notify you once our team has fixed the issue.

•••
Looks like transfers work again. I was able to upload a file for bulk transfers in and add it to my cart. It took longer than usual for the domains to appear in the cart, however, and about 5 minutes to receive the "domain transfer has started" emails for 20 domains.

•••
We did experience some website issues adding backorders and transfers that were resolved yesterday. Everything should currently be working as intended.

@domvault - We do this as part of our seller verification process.

•••
Anyone having issues with Sav DNS?

I have trouble getting it to work.

•••

For me, it is fine at this stage.

What problems did you encounter? Redirect or setting up AAAA / CNAME?

•••

Feel free to DM me if our support team isn't able to figure it out.

•••
I see that Sav added new default NS to our domains.
Do we get fees for displaying ads on our domains?

People, check your domains! I have a few that I *specifically* didn't want to park anywhere and just display a generic landing page, and they just went and changed the nameservers for these domains from ns1/2.sav.com to ns1/2-coming-soon.sav.com, to display ads on them. So it's not just chaging default servers, they arbitrarily changed nameservers that I had set for my domains without asking or even telling me. This is unacceptable.

•••
Had to re-use SAV after buying a few names from other users, after reading all these I now believe that I will need to log into SAV everyday out of paranoia. And avoid 2FFFFA like the plague.

•••
•••
I'm facing a 2FA SMS issue and it won't let me log into my account. I have an urgent transfer I need to make. Please help me out.

•••
I'm facing a 2FA SMS issue and it won't let me log into my account. I have an urgent transfer I need to make. Please help me out.
Try restaring your phone or off >on

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back