status-duplicate Ridiculous Buyer Requests

NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
I was about to post this here, but got an error saying the thread was closed (feel free to merge):
https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...will-need-stronger-antibiotics.1173448/unread

@bmugford ... as someone who has had owned/admin'ed a forum in the past, and someone who is actually currently critical of the level of overall moderation coverage here at NamePros (to be clear NOT moderation quality .. just quantity .. lol), let me step in to actually defend NamePros on this front. :)

Because while I 100% agree with you that the thread and request in question is total garbage and a complete waste of time and space (I'm sure NP will also agree with you there) .. the ultimate problem that comes into play, is where do you draw the line and how do you technically deal with such issues? What might be garbage to one might not be for others. I this specific case I'd think 100% of people would agree, but if you're going to have a rule, then they need to define minimums for each type of domain .. and since most domains do have unique qualities and attributes, that would necessitate a sub-set of pretty much countless rules for minimum offers.

Otherwise the only potential solution I could think of is to create a separate WTB forum for "liquid" domains .. and then set minimums based on the current liquidity level (maybe state people can't request anything below 60% of current liquid level).

But even then I'll be the first to start the potential list of problems .. in that even the definition of liquid domains is subjective.

It won't resolve anything for "dictionary" words because indeed some "dictionary words" are worthless garbage, so offering $20 for "dictionary" words isn't unreasonable to me because there are some dictionary words I've passed over at $5 closeout.

Then when it comes to numerics and things like 3L/4L, while there are broad liquid values, there are also sub-type values based on patterns etc.

So in the end I don't really see a usable solution other than expecting NamePros to judge the line for every single auction. Then with that you know there will be countless arguments in the cases where NPs does make a close call.

Ultimately maybe the only other solution is to allow people to make only this exact comment:

"Your request is less than half the liquid value"

Then maybe if the buyer sees enough of those messages n their requests they will start to get the message.

Or maybe NamePros could start a new thread that discusses that buyers should make reasonable pricing requests .. within THAT thread give several examples and guidelines. That allow people to link to that thread when requests are under 50% of liquid value.

None of what I said I think would be any better than the current situation .. and while I do see the current problem, I just don't see a realistic or workable solution that doesn't open a huge can of worms and debates on where to draw the line for each domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Fair enough. But no one is asking NamePros to police every single thread.

Since you can only post relevant comments in a thread you can't really educate the buyer.
You make a comment which is trying to be helpful, it is deleted.

It is also hard to have a productive conversation on the matter when NamePros is so fast to close a discussion thread on the subject.

Brad

•••
Ultimately maybe the only other solution is to allow people to make only this exact comment:

"Your request is less than half the liquid value"

Then maybe if the buyer sees enough of those messages n their requests they will start to get the message.

Or maybe NamePros could start a new thread that discusses that buyers should make reasonable pricing requests .. within THAT thread give several examples and guidelines. That allow people to link to that thread when requests are under 50% of liquid value.
Since you can only post relevant comments in a thread you can't really educate the buyer.

You could send them a direct message offering your opinion/guidance.

You could also start a thread in the Domain Beginners section to help guide them.

You make a comment which is trying to be helpful, it is deleted.
This rule exists by request of many members. In the majority of cases and by the majority of members, this rule is expected.

However, we are thinking about adding a feature for thread creators to be able to delete comments in their own marketplace threads (or disable comments entirely), and then they can decide. That would allow us to remove this particular rule.

It is also hard to have a productive conversation on the matter when NamePros is so fast to close a discussion thread on the subject.
It became unproductive when you started a thread on the same thing you were asking to remove. If the discussion is no longer productive, then it's time for everyone to move on.

This topic has also been discussed more than any other topic in our support sections. We have discussed it at length and considered all of the feedback. If there is a new idea or perspective, then we encourage that to be shared, but it's not a good use of anyone's time to have the same conversation over and over again.

NamePros made a decision on how it plans to solve it and how it will work until then. There's not much else to discuss until that solution is available.

We hope you understand.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back