Domain Empire

discuss Domain Buyer Requests subforum

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Time to limit the minimum budget to $1,000?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    42.6%
  • No

votes
    57.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Full of stupid requests to buy one word or two words dot com with a budget of $50.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unless there is a subforum only open to members with a solid buying/selling history, any WTB thread will be flooded with uneducated submissions.

I think my proposal for 2 forums, a sales and a wanted forum. would be good enough. You go to the sales forum to sell domains (and attract potential buyers) and the wanted forum looking for domains to purchase (and attract potential sellers). Ir seems like a simple and obvious solution to me. I do like simplicity :)

Last edited:
•••
I think my proposal for 2 forums, a sales and a wanted forum. would be good enough. You go to the sales forum to sell domains (and get potential buyers) and the wanted forum looking for domains to purchase (and get potenital sellers)

I think the current set up is like this already, WTB and WTS threads.

My point is that unless you have "verified" buyers and sellers, you will always be wasting a lot of your time dealing with deadbeats/fishers or with meaningless domain offers.

•••
I think the current set up is like this already, WTB and WTS threads.

My point is that unless you have "verified" buyers and sellers, you will always be wasting a lot of your time dealing with deadbeats/fishers or with meaningless domain offers.

I stand corrected about this. You are correct, We are talking here about the Domain Name Requests Forum. That is such a mess, that I cannot see any reprieve from this forum without the NamePros Staff wanting to clean this up. Which they don't seem willing to tackle. It's already in oblivion as far as I'm concerned. I NEVER go there any longer. I suggest leaving it as it is, and never, ever, replying to a post there is probably the best course of action. Sooner or later the mods might get the idea that this forum needs some SERIOUS RULES. Which I understand is an anathema for the mods.

I don't recommend any seller trying to approach any buyer looking for a domain in this Forum. It's unlikely to be a fruitful or satisfactory experience. They should instead post it in one of the multitude of sales forums, with a minimum or fixed price.

Last edited:
•••
I would also like to see a situation where New Members cannot request domains until some time on NP has elapsed. Some of the most outrageous requests (and lowest $1 budgets) are from new member,s often their very first NP post on their first day.

•••
or just rename to "Begging" instead of "Requests"...

•••
I see two types of posts in here. People looking to get domains for nothing and people faking a request with a high budget to get ideas for handregs.

•••
What we really need is an I am Cheap as F*** section and an Everybody Else Willing To Pay Real Money section under the buyer request area. 😂

I do like the idea about limiting new people for some time period.

Come on guys part with your name for far less than you paid section would be good too. 😏

•••
Unless there is a subforum only open to members with a solid buying/selling history, any WTB thread will be flooded with uneducated submissions.
Isn't that what the exclusive marketplace is for in the business lounge?

•••
Isn't that what the exclusive marketplace is for in the business lounge?

No, I can see people who joined just days ago and have no trade reviews post in this forum.

•••
It’s not just the request form, you have people trying sell domains here that make absolutely no sense for $xxx or $xxxx+

It’s something you can’t stop or prevent, you could make a separate forum for minimum price

But those request for $50 or lower are great for people who want some quick cash on domains they no longer want.

•••
Request section should be used if you are in need for special type of name (for yourself, clinet, client's project etc...). But now it's full of requests (and expectations) for deals that anyone would like to have for asking price, and that is nothing useful, just empty hopes. Buyers usually say "reseller price", but their expectations are more like 10% of reseller price. Exceptions are rare.
Imo, newcomers should be restricted from some part of marketplace, preventing them to make common mistakes and spam everything with their new hand reg :)

Last edited:
•••
Request section should be used if you are in need for special type of name (for yourself, clinet, client's project etc...). But now it's full of requests (and expectations) for deals that anyone would like to have for asking price, and that is noting special, just empty hopes. Buyers usually say "reseller price", but their expectations are more like 10% of reseller price. Exceptions are rare.
Imo, newcomers should be restricted from some part of marketplace, preventing them to make common mistakes and spam everything with their new hand reg :)
Reseller price and steal price is not the same thing:) For the simple reason that for reseller price I have STILL a small profit.

Last edited:
•••
The problem is that namepros has created an atmosphere where re-seller pricing means $25 and below.

So people get so delusional and privileged that they actually start to get offended when you ask mid xx to xxx for a name.

To me re-seller pricing should be determined on a name by name basis. If you post blackbook.com on here for sale... People should have the common sense to know that even if a name is not liquid, it is valued 4-5 figures easily. So you should be happy to see a xxx asking price... or high xx.

You hear how proudly and confidently people declare they want wholesale or reseller pricing??? As if all names are created equal and must all be $25 to be re-seller pricing.

I bought MrSmile.com on here for xxx and even though I barely had any money... I still felt that was reseller pricing. Why, because I know that the name can go for 4 figures and possibly more.

It's better to be honest and give the best offer you possibly can to counter a price... even let the seller know. You never know.. the seller might be motivated to sell and give you a deal. But to it's not good to expect every name to be low xx to consider it re-seller pricing.

I bought bolt.org for low xxx.
I felt that was a deal and that it was reseller, and i did that on my credit(paypal card)...because I was broke.
I got offers for 4 figures and I sold that name for 10K

I am not against buying names for $8 or $25 or $35( I love a steal/deal like anyone else)
But, don't turn good fortune, or someones kindness, or their need for immediate cash... into the definition for: "Re-Seller" pricing.

As long as you can get a "measurable" profit.... like 4 figures...even 3 figures.. you are getting re-seller pricing.

Last edited:
•••
Recently someone had a thread with the title "I will cut your loss, looking for the soon expiring domains....", or something like that.

I clicked on that thread and saw he wants domains with 6+ months till next renewal, for $10. WTF? Timewaster with misleading thread title.

•••
My other per peeve (apart from asking for names like "female first name, can go to $50"...), is the mis-use of the budget filter. Anyone can strut their stuff and post in the "Above $5000" section, and then right at the bottom of their post, mention "budget $1 to $5 per name".

This happens frequently (with new and old members alike) who don't seem to realize (as NP have confirmed in earlier threads) that the budget filter is PER DOMAIN.

•••
The problem is that namepros has created an atmosphere where re-seller pricing means $25 and below.

So people get so delusional and privileged that they actually start to get offended when you ask mid xx to xxx for a name.

To me re-seller pricing should be determined on a name by name basis. If you post blackbook.com on here for sale... People should have the common sense to know that even if a name is not liquid, it is valued 4-5 figures easily. So you should be happy to see a xxx asking price... or high xx.

You hear how proudly and confidently people declare they want wholesale or reseller pricing??? As if all names are created equal and must all be $25 to be re-seller pricing.

I bought MrSmile.com on here for xxx and even though I barely had any money... I still felt that was reseller pricing. Why, because I know that the name can go for 4 figures and possibly more.

It's better to be honest and give the best offer you possibly can to counter a price... even let the seller know. You never know.. the seller might be motivated to sell and give you a deal. But to it's not good to expect every name to be low xx to consider it re-seller pricing.

I bought bolt.org for low xxx.
I felt that was a deal and that it was reseller, and i did that on my credit(paypal card)...because I was broke.
I got offers for 4 figures and I sold that name for 10K

I am not against buying names for $8 or $25 or $35( I love a steal/deal like anyone else)
But, don't turn good fortune, or someones kindness, or their need for immediate cash... into the definition for: "Re-Seller" pricing.

As long as you can get a "measurable" profit.... like 4 figures...even 3 figures.. you are getting re-seller pricing.

Oh my gawd. Your experience with bolt.org was exceptional. I'm old enough (cough) to remember that. That was in the days when I used to read this forum. When it allowed Buyers and Sellers to post (or does it still) You've just given these guys some added incentive to double down for the next bolt.org :) This is going to get WORSE :(

Last edited:
•••
Oh my gawd. Your experience with bolt.org was exceptional. I'm old enough (cough) to remember that. That was in the days when I used to read this forum. When it allowed Buyers and Sellers to post (or does it still) You've just given these guys some added incentive to double down for the next bolt.org :) This is going to get WORSE :(
Funny... I tried to help. #mybad:whistle: #mindingmybusiness.. :bookworm:

•••
My other per peeve (apart from asking for names like "female first name, can go to $50"...), is the mis-use of the budget filter. Anyone can strut their stuff and post in the "Above $5000" section, and then right at the bottom of their post, mention "budget $1 to $5 per name".

This happens frequently (with new and old members alike) who don't seem to realize (as NP have confirmed in earlier threads) that the budget filter is PER DOMAIN.

A lot of these people posting in this forum are wearing blinkers. They should look in the For Sale Forums for bargains. I just picked a common girl's name in.co for $7. Where .co has a track record of selling first names into 5 figures. Or is that more than they want to pay :)

Also. Why aren't the mods moderating examples like you quote. Answer: Because this forum is an unworldly mess. But unregulated forums have a tendency to get worse. They don't improve by themselves. I think it's way past time for an overhaul.

•••
•••
A lot of these people posting in this forum are wearing blinkers. They should look in the For Sale Forums for bargains. I just picked a common girl's name in.co for $7. Where .co has a track record of selling first names into 5 figures. Or is that more than they want to pay :)

Also. Why aren't the mods moderating examples like you quote. Answer: Because this forum is an unworldly mess. But unregulated forums have a tendency to get worse. They don't improve by themselves. I think it's way past time for an overhaul.

Stub I think Canswift was saying if there was an above $5,000 section. There is not one now.

Namepros believes people have the right to ask whatever they like no matter how out of touch with the market. Forums are about posts and pageviews, it's not illegal content or even immoral, it's just annoying for professional people that know the market.

A lot of good points here, maybe and I am not saying I am 100% sure if right, but maybe you say the Domains Wanted section is a privilege and you must have a paid membership to participate there. If people know they have to pay to be there they might be less likely to waste their time and the time of others.

•••
Stub I think Canswift was saying if there was an above $5,000 section. There is not one now.

Namepros believes people have the right to ask whatever they like no matter how out of touch with the market. Forums are about posts and pageviews, it's not illegal content or even immoral, it's just annoying for professional people that know the market.

A lot of good points here, maybe and I am not saying I am 100% sure if right, but maybe you say the Domains Wanted section is a privilege and you must have a paid membership to participate there. If people know they have to pay to be there they might be less likely to waste their time and the time of others.

I'm in 100% in agreement with what you are saying here. NP's generally has a laissez faire, hands off attitude. Which I generally applaud. But if these posts are limited to 1 forum, then we can ignore them. Whoever is making the decisions about the rules here on NP's does a pretty damn good job. in my book. But I will never go into the Buyer Requests Forum (did they just change the name?) , even if I have some domains to get rid off. It's much more fruitful to post in Bargain Bin or Free Domain Names, because, as a seller, you are broadcasting your domains for everybody to see, and not having unsatisfactory multiple one-to-one communications with posters in this Buyer Requests Forum. You are doing a service to all members by posting your domains in these 2 forums, and a disservice to all members by searching for a buyer in this Buyer Requests Forum. (Which is a misnomer, as far as I can see, because you DEFINITELY would not want to be looking for any kind of service in this forum). OK. You gain privacy by searching instead of posting. But you then have to put up with all the BS, that come with it. And we are supposed to be a community. After all.

However. I do think the Buyers Request Forum is in need of some serious attention from our beloved moderators. Even though I never use it anymore.

Last edited:
•••
Clean up is needed for various things, a few to name some:

No budgets or wrong budgets.
Threads left open dangling for months after OP has responded and people bump the post with "PM sent" for no reason which pushes other legitimate posts down.

And if you do clean it up, please make a rule to stop sellers from posting "PM me if interested". They are interested, the thread you replied to was made for requesting people PM them domain names.
"Hi I need domain names..."
"Hi PM me if interested"
I mean half the time they don't even post a domain name, just a message wanting the OP to run after them.
And in a similar vein, stop the "I cannot PM, please PM me" (it's just embarrassing)

If someone cannot PM then perhaps they shouldn't be posting in that forum at all. Either get rid of the ban, or slow down on the PMs they send.

•••
The budgets must be expressed in per name, not $2,500 budget but looking to spend $10 to $25 a name.
The budget should be mentioned for per domain only and not total budget.
We agree, and that's why that has been a rule for a long time:
  • Rule 6.7.2. Specify an exact numerical range or an exact figure for your budget per item (e.g., "up to $1 million per domain name" in Domain Buyer Requests). Placeholders such as "$XX,XXX", $0 (free domains) budgets, and "unlimited" price ranges will not be permitted.
The prefix/filter must be based on a per domain budget:
  • Rule 6.7.3. Budget prefixes must be representative of your budget per item (e.g., the thread prefix budget: above $5,000 in Domain Buyer Requests means the buyer's budget is greater than $5,000 per domain name).
If you notice anyone violating these rules, please report it.

There's nothing wrong with including the total budget, as long as the per domain budget is included.

There should be a rule for auto-closing request thread if OP is inactive on the thread for say more than 10 days.
Threads left open dangling for months after OP has responded and people bump the post with "PM sent" for no reason which pushes other legitimate posts down.
We have a rule for that, as well:
  • Rule 6.1.20. Listings must be closed when their creators are done with them, or update them every 14 days with a status update.
Once it is reported or we notice it, they're closed.

That already exists:
I think Canswift was saying if there was an above $5,000 section. There is not one now.
We have had an "Above $5,000" section for a long time now:
Sooner or later the mods might get the idea that this forum needs some SERIOUS RULES.
Those rules already exist.

I cannot see any reprieve from this forum without the NamePros Staff wanting to clean this up
We clean it up every day with the help of member reports and moderator spot checks.

Why aren't the mods moderating examples like you quote . . . unregulated forums have a tendency to get worse.
You're making a lot of incorrect assumptions when you admitted you never use this section. A lot of what you have assumed to be true about how we handle this section is inaccurate. If you have a suggestion, please offer it, but making inaccurate statements with no basis is not helpful.

Imo, newcomers should be restricted from some part of marketplace, preventing them to make common mistakes and spam everything with their new hand reg
New member restrictions:

No, I can see people who joined just days ago and have no trade reviews post in this forum.
If they paid for an account upgrade, yes.

We have the Exclusive Marketplace, which allows domain requests and is restricted to only VIP members and actively paying members.

While we see that there is a lot of support for a more restricted and limiting request area, when it comes time to create a thread, the buyers are almost always choosing to use the open and public section rather than the exclusive one. That makes sense, because when it comes time to buy or sell a domain name, who wants less eyeballs or less of a chance to make a deal? Not many, so they opt to use the more popular section to not miss out on any opportunities. :)

An open market will always have downsides, but for all of its flaws, ours is very useful, provides significant value, and it's free. The only thing better would be to pay someone (or some service) to do the legwork for you.

That said, we are always looking for ways to improve and open to trying new things, so if you have any further ideas, please share them with us. Thanks!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back