IT.COM

new gtlds Rick Schwarz Predicts A "Collapse" Coming (ngTLD's)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will New Extensions Have A Major Collapse

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    67.8%
  • No

votes
    32.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
rs-tweet.png

What do you think? Based on Rick's tweets, I believe he is referring to new gTLDs.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Rick Schwartz has done a good job of explaining the facts and should get a royalty for every dollar saved by domainers who listen.

At best the ngtld vs .com just divides the domain industry while the browsers, search engines and walled gardens that control the majority of internet traffic move more and more away from .anything

If the world just understood domains as much as many of the people here it could be a different story.

•••
All that I own are one word dictionary and I cant sell them. Keeping them for offers and then letting them fall off. Junk

•••
•••
I really believe that everyone has a right to their opinion - Rick and anyone who buys these names. I personally don't like them and have had no luck with them. That doesn't mean someone else might hit gold. I am going the old fashioned route - generic .com - that's it. This isn't the lottery, it takes skill,patience and money to fund your venture. This is a business just like any other. You cant start a McDonalds with $100 and hope. You need money to make money. You need knowledge to make money. Combine those two things and get to work :)

•••
...as always, it'll be the youth who picks up on these name. Most of the time, apps are used anyway, so a .com doesn't even make a difference any more. The 21st century will dissolve .com into just another extension with the rest of them.
right now, there is a handful of 5 and 6 figure sales for dot com. Some smart, many foolish, but it may be for tax purposes, what do I know.

newer extensions are more fun now, as younger participants can get killer keyword names and not have to pay a king's ransom. It's happening, only because time takes its toll on everything, even .comnames...

•••
Rick Shaws is talking about the end-times

•••
newer extensions are more fun now, as younger participants can get killer keyword names and not have to pay a king's ransom.
Where???
At least 90% of "killers" are selling for premium fee...
And very often the same fee to renew them...

•••
Where???
At least 90% of "killers" are selling for premium fee...
And very often the same fee to renew them...
what is premium fee for you?
Could you give us a range please?

•••
4-figure range for "killers"... for example in .online

•••
•••
•••
Even the toxic extension XYZ's have premium's, and try to reg one like the guy did a few days ago and they will let you, then repossess it and send you an email.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/alert-xyz-registry-stealing-back-newly-registered-numerics.1022280/

At least with .art, .fun. .whatever's you will pass up the high prices or pay them.

If you think about it, and if you owned the registry you would do the same. Why should the ICANN auction fees they pay megabucks to own and control and extension, then give away the valuable names for the same price as the crappy ones? or you buy them back with some side company trying to disguise your holdings somewhere else as in North Sound names owning all the "good ones" reserved from whateveregistry.

When you give a billion crappy XYZ ones away for 0.88 cents, you need to subsidize them with the "good" ones. I wonder how many more promotional emails will be sent out between now and November 11.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
how many of you here think the struggles of xyz.. the 1cent promos.. the constant 1$ promos... and recent lowering by huge margin of their so called premium domains, are indications of someone trying to maximize profit before calling it full quits ?

•••
Negari is a smart guy, obviously. If he chose a better extension, he'd be doing even better. What he managed to do with .xyz is outstanding! The guy should be snatched by multi-billion corp as head of marketing, business development etc.

.xyz won't call it quits, they probably generate enough cash flow not to be in red, but, again, they never will become mainstream.

I don't see any of current extensions challenging .com/strongcctld duopoly...

•••
Negari is a smart guy, obviously. If he chose a better extension, he'd be doing even better. What he managed to do with .xyz is outstanding! The guy should be snatched by multi-billion corp as head of marketing, business development etc.

.xyz won't call it quits, they probably generate enough cash flow not to be in red, but, again, they never will become mainstream.

I don't see any of current extensions challenging .com/strongcctld duopoly...

agreed. I have no idea about their cashflow.. but the promos and now the heavy price lowering of many premium keyhwords.. if not a sign of full quits, could seem to indicate in very least a lack of profits.. and some financial desperation.. but.. I could be wrong.

•••
agreed. I have no idea about their cashflow.. but the promos and now the heavy price lowering of many premium keyhwords.. if not a sign of full quits, could seem to indicate in very least a lack of profits.. and some financial desperation.. but.. I could be wrong.

Or it could mean just price discrimination. He first sets high prices, gets those willing to pay high renewals, then lowers it to medium level to sell as many as possible at this price level and then whatever is left can be lowered further in couple of years to $50-100 level.

If he ends up with 1000 names of $1000 average, 10000 names of 200 average, 20000 names of 100 average and 40000 names of 50 average, that is $7MM annual revenue from 71,000 names.

•••
Or it could mean just price discrimination. He first sets high prices, gets those willing to pay high renewals, then lowers it to medium level to sell as many as possible at this price level and then whatever is left can be lowered further in couple of years to $50-100 level.

If he ends up with 1000 names of $1000 average, 10000 names of 200 average, 20000 names of 100 average and 40000 names of 50 average, that is $7MM annual revenue from 71,000 names.

hmmm.. okay I see.
I guess that doesn't make feel good those who first regged things at the $1000 average.... then the $200 average.. then the $100 average,.. seeing their investment prices go down all the time.

but.. I think by now we all know and understand that making people feel good is not the priority of xyz reigstry.

Last edited:
•••

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I think it's been a mess. From choosing the letters xyz (3 syllables, some of the worst letters), then making the mistake of calling it the next .com, his gift to the world, to putting people in purple tights, the network solutions deal and trying to use that for promotion when we know the real deal on that, to the penny promotion. It doesn't seem like long term thinking and the results are what? 6.7 down to 5.6 million - https://ntldstats.com/tld/xyz

Sales - https://namebio.com/?s==cTO4ATO3ITM

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back