NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Archangel

randypendleton.comTop Member
Impact
For the benefit and edification of all who will ponder the move, I chose to make this public.

Most of you know me, as I've been here since perhaps the 2nd year of NP's existence. I've been a moderator/section leader for quite some time, too. I have over 100 positive TR's and am one of the few who have Achieved Greatness. And for good measure, I'll add that I moderate eleven forums here. I am a writer by trade (I am the editor of the in-hiatus namepros.com newsletter) but, as a favor to Rachel James (aka NPQueen), I joined the NP team. Those were such great days. NP was doing outstanding & people came here daily to learn the tricks of the trade and sell a domain or two. I still converse with her and her husband, Ron (aka RJ) at times. The staff here was tremendous. Michelle and Wendy were powerhouses. RJ kept things in order. And, let’s face it, everyone loved seeing the Queen in the chatroom. Things were great.

But just like every shattered dream, nothing ever lasts forever.

Things started falling apart here no long ago. All told, Ron sold NP, his baby, to someone who was going to make NP better. Yeah, traffic was decreasing a bit, among other things, and the most practical way to keep NP alive was to sell it to an entity that could stop the bleeding. I do not blame RJ for selling. He did what was best for the site. And I will not criticize Matt, the buyer of NP. Yet I do find myself questioning & here I am today, typing this out as a way to not answer these questions but to cut loose the burden of having to question them in the first place.

We all have our hopes and dreams. One of my hopes was that Matt would pump life into this site, reinvigorating NP from the inside-out. Sadly, all that had been achieved was the descent and deterioration of all that Ron had made. The worst part? We were warned but ignored it completely.

Well, nearly everyone did, anyway. I was the lone exception. Who was the prophet who first brought the issue to light? Wendy.

Ya see, as communities such as NP grow ever so big, the prospect of keeping order is a requirement. Without order, you’ll have anarchy (or something as pointlessly worthless as GFY). NP was kind of the anti-GFY: This is a moderated community and the mods here actually TRY to help ppl. But yes, moderation is needed for the grand scheme of things to float. That cannot be debated. A person is smart; people are retarded, panicky, and self-destructive. People cannot self-moderate. That’s where mods (or police, in the physical world) come in. And yes, all forms of law enforcement are hated. The issue at hand here is not the prospect of moderation.

It’s over-moderation.

Let me ask a question: What constitutes as over-moderation? Surely, penalizing people for every little thing is bad. Sometimes, a reminder to the offender that he/she was in the wrong can solve the problem. Crucifying EVEYONE isn’t the way to go. By doing so, you would, in essence, be over-modding.

But is ALL moderating “over-modding”? I once had this to say about the departed Wendy:

“I do have to side with Wendy. She and I have spoken throughout the years & I see her points. She was a good moderator/authority figure. But that draws the ire of the public. No one likes breaking a rule & being punished for it. All of us mods go through with it: If we ignore something bad, the bad guy in the situation would get away with it & wouldn't have anything bad to say. BUT the moment he's caught with his hand in the cookie jar, there'll be a long rant by the bad guy, chastising the mod for what ultimately boils down to the bad guy getting an infraction. We are 'police' here @ NP. And when ppl do bad, they'll always have criticisms. Wendy's done a lot over the years, more than most of us had. And that being true, she's had the most criticism of us all.

I'm not saying Wendy being removed was a good or bad thing. I'm only saying here that Wendy was given a bad rep from users who've been disciplined by her & it snowballed into her image being shot up pretty badly. We've all gone through it. We've all made at least 1 enemy doing our job. Wendy, sadly, made a lotta enemies. It wasn't from the quality of her work. It was the fact that she DID her work and did it well. The good guys like her. The bad guys hate her.”

Yes, poor mis_chiff stepped away. Upon her departure, I considered doing the same, as all she spoke of really made sense. I tried, instead, to ignore matters & rather than leaving, I took up a few more forums, to help out NP. I tried to dismiss the regression, pretending that everything was going to work out in the end. A few weeks later and things are now even worse. Not only is Wendy gone but a lot of the class and style had left with her. Yes, the bad guys won: She was driven out by the naysayers and spammers and rule-breakers. Wendy is gone. And today, on May 20, 2012, my name shall be added along with hers.

Effective immediately, I resign from all staff positions here at namepros.com.

Ironically, Eric told me that management believed that I was “under stress” & removed me from several forums, to collect myself. He sent me this message awhile after I made this decision to step down from everything. It isn’t stress that had gotten to me: It’s that people suddenly have gotten otherwise blind or oblivious to the rules. Again, I am an exception. Sure, I’m not perfect. Who is? We all make mistakes. But since Matt took over, NP had only gotten worse--and I’m afraid it’ll never return to its glory. Hell, I’m thinking NP might fall completely at this rate. And this destruction is from mismanagement, not mods.

Nowadays, people can cuss a storm, be impolite, and provoke argument & we mods are powerless to stop it. Today alone, I had an issue. There was a post made that contained very belligerent language & provoked a lotta bad thoughts. Had RJ been here, that post would have stayed deleted. See, Eric saw the post & refused to delete it, opting to edit a few small things. I received a complaint & saw no reason to keep such a poor post, thus I deleted it. Eric then UN-DELETED it, telling me a load of rigmarole about free speech and whatnot. (He tried to justify things by telling me I called the poster retarded, thus what comes around, goes around; I in no way called the poster retarded but merely stated that he was acting retarded) IT BROKE A LONGSTANDING NP RULE! It was impolite, offensive, belligerent, and was posted in the hopes of causing turmoil. From the NP rules:

“Posts critical of NamePros policies, staff or moderation activity (such as post edits or deletions) will likely be removed, as well as posts attempting to stir unwelcome drama (such as "I'm Leaving" type posts). If you have problems with a moderator or feel you have not been treated fairly, please contact a NamePros Administrator through the private forum we have provided.”

This exact thread might be considered as “critical” though it is merely for constructive thought (there is much worse to be read in the “Suggestions” thread). Eric, I ask that you not delete this thread or edit it in any way. If others have opinions, they should voice them, as that is the intention of this thread, other than my announcement. It may help management prevent the bleeding further.

But yes, the post I removed was against ToS & I removed it. It was then re-added by a staff member who wanted to appease users. I’ve discussed it above and I’ll say it like this: We should NOT bend to the will of rule-breakers simply to keep them happy. I don’t. But many others here do. A month back, I deleted a thread with good reason & was beseeched to re-add it simply because the poster whined and cried about it & wanted it returned. I only re-added it to prevent further bad-taste in everyone’s mouth. I suppose I contradicted myself: I did succumb before. But I will not again, ever.

I’m done. I am tired of other people telling me how to do my job. And I did my job pretty damn well. But others wanted me to regress, to make the bad guys happy. No. Forget it. During the first few months I’ve been a mod, there was an incident where a remorse-seller gave me grief over a $600 deal. He had 100% no right to the name (he refused a refund a billion times) but I caved--to protect the sanctity of NP’s image. That was when Ron and Rachel were here. I liked them. I still do. And I respect the hell outta them. They did all they could to make NP a better community. I became a mod out of respect and loyalty to them. This new management is tearing at the gears that have kept NP running all these years. In April, NP lost a team leader. In May, NP had lost a section leader. I’m afraid to wonder what’ll come up missing next month.

Nevermore shall I moderate at this forum. Wendy was right. Namepros.com is going soft & will more than likely become a haven for chaos here in the near future. I’ll probably still be here, in one fashion or another, to watch it crumble down. When it does, I’ll sleep better at night knowing that there is no blood on my hands. This wasn’t my doing. I wish NP the very best, truly. I still love this site. But if I cannot do my job the way it’s supposed to be done, then I simply won’t do it, at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"1. JBLions is worth having on ignore for a multitude of reasons, not the least being that he has no concept of discussing/debating without resorting to straw man, or ad homenin arguments"

You should have said why. That has to do with firefly getting upset when he said Ron Paul still had a chance of becoming President, not too long ago and me pointing out the reality of how ridiculous that was. So if you're a person that thinks Ron Paul still has a shot and that out of touch with current events, yes, please put me on ignore lol. Ron Paul 2016.

Last edited:
•••
Just a note:

This is officially the longest break room thread in 2012 ... how's that for an enduring legacy, Randy? ;)

RJ always had my back!

If you people plan on having a productive domain name forum here, Then work with the mods here. Not against em.

This is what I was referring too (much) earlier in the thread when I said an active owner really does empower the users of a forum. RJ was always a top bloke and everyone respected him enough to know that when you crossed a line, you'd be shown the door and you dealt with it until you could grow up.

There are lots of figures on this forum that I respect, that have power, but it's not really the same as the owner standing up to resolve an ongoing dispute and putting someone in their place. :gl:

•••
...just stumbled on this thread and I gotta say I was surprised by the announcement by randy...I do wish for him nothing but the best in his continuing journey.

That said, although I disagreed with him on his "us vs them" philosophy regarding members and moderators(I felt that we are basically the same, he disagreed. I could live with that.), I could not agree with him more about the need for solid yet fair moderating.

Double A's handling of the posts by Fonzie, for example, was in my mind necessary. The fonz has basically debased every thread that he has so far entered and if he has said anything to positively contribute to the growth of this forum, I have yet to see it. My guess, and I may be wrong, is that he may know Matt in some capacity and that is why he is given a free pass, not unlike the Snoop of yore when he would invade the .tv forum for little more than mayhem and vandalism.

So AA is going to be missed by me as Wendy is, but I also agree that members could also help by self-moderating, as one member did for me by pm. His message allowed me to see that replying by entering a quote that was laden with an obscenity was just as bad as the post I was replying to, so I did thank him for pointing it out and deleted it.

I did notice that the poster of the invective also edited his post later.

Yeah, I'm rambling, but I just want to let AA, Wendy and whoever know it's not "us vs them" or at least it doesn't have to be.

Always enjoyed the Archangel's input and expect him to continue on a higher plane to what his desires truly are...

•••
Thanks for everything you have GIVEN here, Randy! I wish you all the best, and am sure it was a tough decision to make. You deserve a big thanks for the difficult role you have played here, the flack you have taken, your resilience and, in the end, your ability to side with your conscience and walk away rather than continuing to play a role that you are in disagreement with. That is not intended to mean that I "agree" with your reasoning, or perspective on being a "mod/section" leader in comparison to being a "member", but I can certainly respect your view and feelings on it. I have also never been a section leader/admin, so have less of a taste for how nasty it can get with upset/argumentative/negative/antagonistic/downright insulting members than you do by a long shot.

In any event, I am grateful for the time and energy you have devoted in your own way to making NP a better place, as a "member" and as "staff", and sure hope that you stay around!

All the best, SP

•••
hate to see this ,the way it has been, have to agree a few, taking a cue on the prognosis that awaits NP,rather leave out the riffraff sulking for nice W, you did great bud,while you were 'ere as the Law,
For the benefit and edification of all who will ponder the move, I chose to make this public.

Most of you know me, as I've been here since perhaps the 2nd year of NP's existence. I've been a moderator/section leader for quite some time, too. I have over 100 positive TR's and am one of the few who have Achieved Greatness. And for good measure, I'll add that I moderate eleven forums here. I am a writer by trade (I am the editor of the in-hiatus namepros.com newsletter) but, as a favor to Rachel James (aka NPQueen), I joined the NP team. Those were such great days. NP was doing outstanding & people came here daily to learn the tricks of the trade and sell a domain or two. I still converse with her and her husband, Ron (aka RJ) at times. The staff here was tremendous. Michelle and Wendy were powerhouses. RJ kept things in order. And, let’s face it, everyone loved seeing the Queen in the chatroom. Things were great.

But just like every shattered dream, nothing ever lasts forever.

Things started falling apart here no long ago. All told, Ron sold NP, his baby, to someone who was going to make NP better. Yeah, traffic was decreasing a bit, among other things, and the most practical way to keep NP alive was to sell it to an entity that could stop the bleeding. I do not blame RJ for selling. He did what was best for the site. And I will not criticize Matt, the buyer of NP. Yet I do find myself questioning & here I am today, typing this out as a way to not answer these questions but to cut loose the burden of having to question them in the first place.

We all have our hopes and dreams. One of my hopes was that Matt would pump life into this site, reinvigorating NP from the inside-out. Sadly, all that had been achieved was the descent and deterioration of all that Ron had made. The worst part? We were warned but ignored it completely.

Well, nearly everyone did, anyway. I was the lone exception. Who was the prophet who first brought the issue to light? Wendy.

Ya see, as communities such as NP grow ever so big, the prospect of keeping order is a requirement. Without order, you’ll have anarchy (or something as pointlessly worthless as GFY). NP was kind of the anti-GFY: This is a moderated community and the mods here actually TRY to help ppl. But yes, moderation is needed for the grand scheme of things to float. That cannot be debated. A person is smart; people are retarded, panicky, and self-destructive. People cannot self-moderate. That’s where mods (or police, in the physical world) come in. And yes, all forms of law enforcement are hated. The issue at hand here is not the prospect of moderation.

It’s over-moderation.

Let me ask a question: What constitutes as over-moderation? Surely, penalizing people for every little thing is bad. Sometimes, a reminder to the offender that he/she was in the wrong can solve the problem. Crucifying EVEYONE isn’t the way to go. By doing so, you would, in essence, be over-modding.

But is ALL moderating “over-modding”? I once had this to say about the departed Wendy:

“I do have to side with Wendy. She and I have spoken throughout the years & I see her points. She was a good moderator/authority figure. But that draws the ire of the public. No one likes breaking a rule & being punished for it. All of us mods go through with it: If we ignore something bad, the bad guy in the situation would get away with it & wouldn't have anything bad to say. BUT the moment he's caught with his hand in the cookie jar, there'll be a long rant by the bad guy, chastising the mod for what ultimately boils down to the bad guy getting an infraction. We are 'police' here @ NP. And when ppl do bad, they'll always have criticisms. Wendy's done a lot over the years, more than most of us had. And that being true, she's had the most criticism of us all.

I'm not saying Wendy being removed was a good or bad thing. I'm only saying here that Wendy was given a bad rep from users who've been disciplined by her & it snowballed into her image being shot up pretty badly. We've all gone through it. We've all made at least 1 enemy doing our job. Wendy, sadly, made a lotta enemies. It wasn't from the quality of her work. It was the fact that she DID her work and did it well. The good guys like her. The bad guys hate her.”

Yes, poor mis_chiff stepped away. Upon her departure, I considered doing the same, as all she spoke of really made sense. I tried, instead, to ignore matters & rather than leaving, I took up a few more forums, to help out NP. I tried to dismiss the regression, pretending that everything was going to work out in the end. A few weeks later and things are now even worse. Not only is Wendy gone but a lot of the class and style had left with her. Yes, the bad guys won: She was driven out by the naysayers and spammers and rule-breakers. Wendy is gone. And today, on May 20, 2012, my name shall be added along with hers.

Effective immediately, I resign from all staff positions here at namepros.com.

Ironically, Eric told me that management believed that I was “under stress” & removed me from several forums, to collect myself. He sent me this message awhile after I made this decision to step down from everything. It isn’t stress that had gotten to me: It’s that people suddenly have gotten otherwise blind or oblivious to the rules. Again, I am an exception. Sure, I’m not perfect. Who is? We all make mistakes. But since Matt took over, NP had only gotten worse--and I’m afraid it’ll never return to its glory. Hell, I’m thinking NP might fall completely at this rate. And this destruction is from mismanagement, not mods.

Nowadays, people can cuss a storm, be impolite, and provoke argument & we mods are powerless to stop it. Today alone, I had an issue. There was a post made that contained very belligerent language & provoked a lotta bad thoughts. Had RJ been here, that post would have stayed deleted. See, Eric saw the post & refused to delete it, opting to edit a few small things. I received a complaint & saw no reason to keep such a poor post, thus I deleted it. Eric then UN-DELETED it, telling me a load of rigmarole about free speech and whatnot. (He tried to justify things by telling me I called the poster retarded, thus what comes around, goes around; I in no way called the poster retarded but merely stated that he was acting retarded) IT BROKE A LONGSTANDING NP RULE! It was impolite, offensive, belligerent, and was posted in the hopes of causing turmoil. From the NP rules:

“Posts critical of NamePros policies, staff or moderation activity (such as post edits or deletions) will likely be removed, as well as posts attempting to stir unwelcome drama (such as "I'm Leaving" type posts). If you have problems with a moderator or feel you have not been treated fairly, please contact a NamePros Administrator through the private forum we have provided.”

This exact thread might be considered as “critical” though it is merely for constructive thought (there is much worse to be read in the “Suggestions” thread). Eric, I ask that you not delete this thread or edit it in any way. If others have opinions, they should voice them, as that is the intention of this thread, other than my announcement. It may help management prevent the bleeding further.

But yes, the post I removed was against ToS & I removed it. It was then re-added by a staff member who wanted to appease users. I’ve discussed it above and I’ll say it like this: We should NOT bend to the will of rule-breakers simply to keep them happy. I don’t. But many others here do. A month back, I deleted a thread with good reason & was beseeched to re-add it simply because the poster whined and cried about it & wanted it returned. I only re-added it to prevent further bad-taste in everyone’s mouth. I suppose I contradicted myself: I did succumb before. But I will not again, ever.

I’m done. I am tired of other people telling me how to do my job. And I did my job pretty damn well. But others wanted me to regress, to make the bad guys happy. No. Forget it. During the first few months I’ve been a mod, there was an incident where a remorse-seller gave me grief over a $600 deal. He had 100% no right to the name (he refused a refund a billion times) but I caved--to protect the sanctity of NP’s image. That was when Ron and Rachel were here. I liked them. I still do. And I respect the hell outta them. They did all they could to make NP a better community. I became a mod out of respect and loyalty to them. This new management is tearing at the gears that have kept NP running all these years. In April, NP lost a team leader. In May, NP had lost a section leader. I’m afraid to wonder what’ll come up missing next month.

Nevermore shall I moderate at this forum. Wendy was right. Namepros.com is going soft & will more than likely become a haven for chaos here in the near future. I’ll probably still be here, in one fashion or another, to watch it crumble down. When it does, I’ll sleep better at night knowing that there is no blood on my hands. This wasn’t my doing. I wish NP the very best, truly. I still love this site. But if I cannot do my job the way it’s supposed to be done, then I simply won’t do it, at all.

•••
:talk:

Hi all

just sharing a perspective:

i first started moderating at dnf in 2003 and since then, over the years have been laid-off, rehired, then dumped, and was recently rehired this year.

being a mod ain't easy

there are "personalities" and personas` you have to deal with.

the members who "NEVER" break the rules, appreciate your efforts.

those that like to "push" the 'envelope' don't.

if as a mod, you don't get "full" support of Admins, then you are sitting duck if you aggressively moderate.

if you passively moderate, what good are you?

as any other member can tell another, they are in violation....if they care about the forum.

i stay on at dnf, because i want to maintain a level of quality in the content.

as well as show a level of respect and professionalism for others and for "newbs" who look for stability and adherence to guidelines.

if there is no control, then there will be anarchy

those who are verbally abusive to others, cause the timid and the shy not to post.

they fear being criticized or being demeaned by the forum bully or the intimidator. yet they may have serious questions that need answers and they come to "your forum" hoping to get that.

sure, you can't please everyone, but that's not the goal to please.

the goal is to provide a stimulating environment, where everyone feels comfortable enough to contribute with their questions and answers.

that's what makes-up the content of the forum and as a whole, illustrates the character and demeanor of it's members.

maybe the OP needs to step away for a while, take time away for some relief from the stress.

just leave the door open on your way out

:)

•••
Though I haven't been a NP member too long, it seems like just yesterday Randy was giving me my first Reps. Though this may read a tad adolescent now, I must admit it was the coolest thing to finally have my first green Rep square. I had never been a part of an online forum before, making NP my first and only online forum at the time. I had no idea of what I was doing or how to post on a forum, etc.

Needless to say, there were some bumps in the road along the way with different Mods, as I learned the governing rules, became part of the community and slowly began to shed my proverbial skin as a NP Noob. Now, as I work my way toward Achieving Greatness, I look back and find it hard to believe those first Reps were already a couple of years ago.

At any rate, I was truly surprised to learn of yours (and Wendy's) resignations from your post yesterday. Well, shocked would be a more accurate way to describe it. I stepped away from domaining these past few months and just started back up a few days ago to find some changes throughout.

I always appreciated and respected each of you and your individual styles, and though I didn't always agree with every Mod's actions throughout the forum along the way, from my years of managing people in the real world it was easy enough to understand the reasoning behind those actions, and made it easier to identify with some of what you as Mods must have to do, see and put up with, at times.

I wish you (both) the very best. Along with many others, you have both played a pivotal role in the success and high quality of standards NP has developed, which is far superior to any and all other forums of its kind, in my opinion.

It is nice to read you will still be active in the forum as members, as you both have given, and continue to give, so much to the NP community. You will both be missed equally as Mods/Leads, and leave a large [couple] pairs of shoes to be filled. Wishing each of you the best of luck and success in all your future endeavors.

-Regards

•••
Hey, at least Namepros is still active, no matter who owns it, admins it, mods it.

One forum I am admin at has now closed as the owner gave up on it.

•••
Hey, at least Namepros is still active, no matter who owns it, admins it, mods it.

One forum I am admin at has now closed as the owner gave up on it.

It aint going anywhere soon ;)

•••
•••
There is always a later.

There is always an earlier. There is an end.

There is not always a later unless you're between those two.

But NP isn't going away any time soon - it's changing just like everything else.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

i am bubulove, i am very angry!
You sound like Hulk!

i am just a passby in former thread:Somebody offering me 5000 need help.and i only say the optimistic side of the thing. someone say i am conspious! DAMN HE/SHE! I will never say anything have no bussinesss with me in this forum. kind people aways hurted in socoiety.
It's a forum. People assume things and make mistakes. If you are innocent, I'm sure 3d will apologize - he is a good guy.

i am innocent
Ok. AA said you weren't on duplicate ids. The whole thing did seem suspicious.

Don't let it ruin the forum - be positive, contribute and forget it and it will be forgotten.

That said, this isn't the right thread for this at all. Perhaps sending 3d a PM would be better.

•••
There were far less idiots here couple of years ago.
Thanks to the "old" mods, among them to Wendy and Archangel.

Last edited:
•••
He's a dupe. Eric gave him an infraction for his PM to me. I dunno if he was removed or not. I would have had I still been a mod but that's me.

I am pretty sure he was banned once before and apparently he didn't learn his lesson.

She can say the F word quite a bit lol

I'll always be on FB so you know you can find me here :)

Two revelations from this thread for me.

1. JBLions is worth having on ignore for a multitude of reasons, not the least being that he has no concept of discussing/debating without resorting to straw man, or ad homenin arguments

2. Wendy knows how to type the word FUCK!!!!

Love ya Wendy... you go girl. :)

Randy... you are a dude and you can always catch me on FB

It's a legacy worth holding :)

When RJ was here, he sat down to talk to ppl and help. To him, NP was a side-project that he took a lotta pride in. So far, Matt hasn't really replicated RJ's aura...

Just a note:

This is officially the longest break room thread in 2012 ... how's that for an enduring legacy, Randy? ;)

This is what I was referring too (much) earlier in the thread when I said an active owner really does empower the users of a forum. RJ was always a top bloke and everyone respected him enough to know that when you crossed a line, you'd be shown the door and you dealt with it until you could grow up.

There are lots of figures on this forum that I respect, that have power, but it's not really the same as the owner standing up to resolve an ongoing dispute and putting someone in their place. :gl:

Honestly, I always meant to have an "us AND them" conversation, not really an "us VS them" one. But I suppose I just didn't get the thoughts out the way intended. Apologies for that.

Thanks for the kind words, of course :)

...just stumbled on this thread and I gotta say I was surprised by the announcement by randy...I do wish for him nothing but the best in his continuing journey.

That said, although I disagreed with him on his "us vs them" philosophy regarding members and moderators(I felt that we are basically the same, he disagreed. I could live with that.), I could not agree with him more about the need for solid yet fair moderating.

Double A's handling of the posts by Fonzie, for example, was in my mind necessary. The fonz has basically debased every thread that he has so far entered and if he has said anything to positively contribute to the growth of this forum, I have yet to see it. My guess, and I may be wrong, is that he may know Matt in some capacity and that is why he is given a free pass, not unlike the Snoop of yore when he would invade the .tv forum for little more than mayhem and vandalism.

So AA is going to be missed by me as Wendy is, but I also agree that members could also help by self-moderating, as one member did for me by pm. His message allowed me to see that replying by entering a quote that was laden with an obscenity was just as bad as the post I was replying to, so I did thank him for pointing it out and deleted it.

I did notice that the poster of the invective also edited his post later.

Yeah, I'm rambling, but I just want to let AA, Wendy and whoever know it's not "us vs them" or at least it doesn't have to be.

Always enjoyed the Archangel's input and expect him to continue on a higher plane to what his desires truly are...

I sound like a broken record lol But thanks :) It was a hard decision... took awhile for me to make it. At the end, it just seemed like the best solution for me.

Thanks for everything you have GIVEN here, Randy! I wish you all the best, and am sure it was a tough decision to make. You deserve a big thanks for the difficult role you have played here, the flack you have taken, your resilience and, in the end, your ability to side with your conscience and walk away rather than continuing to play a role that you are in disagreement with. That is not intended to mean that I "agree" with your reasoning, or perspective on being a "mod/section" leader in comparison to being a "member", but I can certainly respect your view and feelings on it. I have also never been a section leader/admin, so have less of a taste for how nasty it can get with upset/argumentative/negative/antagonistic/downright insulting members than you do by a long shot.

In any event, I am grateful for the time and energy you have devoted in your own way to making NP a better place, as a "member" and as "staff", and sure hope that you stay around!

All the best, SP

You hit the nail on the head.

A mod needs to deal with members who intimidate or scare other ppl into posting. When you have a guy say "Jesus Christ, you ppl give shitty advice!" (or whatever Fonzie said) in a thread seeking advice, that rattles ppl up & makes them not wanna post at all. Eric said t's freedom of speech but the question here is: So? I'm free to say "Obama fucking sucks!" but what good would that do? It's an opinion but it doesn't help anything. And Fonzie's post hurt the community, even if it was free speech. We take freedoms for granted all the time. Just because we're free to say things doesn't mean they should remain public.

:talk:

Hi all

just sharing a perspective:

i first started moderating at dnf in 2003 and since then, over the years have been laid-off, rehired, then dumped, and was recently rehired this year.

being a mod ain't easy

there are "personalities" and personas` you have to deal with.

the members who "NEVER" break the rules, appreciate your efforts.

those that like to "push" the 'envelope' don't.

if as a mod, you don't get "full" support of Admins, then you are sitting duck if you aggressively moderate.

if you passively moderate, what good are you?

as any other member can tell another, they are in violation....if they care about the forum.

i stay on at dnf, because i want to maintain a level of quality in the content.

as well as show a level of respect and professionalism for others and for "newbs" who look for stability and adherence to guidelines.

if there is no control, then there will be anarchy

those who are verbally abusive to others, cause the timid and the shy not to post.

they fear being criticized or being demeaned by the forum bully or the intimidator. yet they may have serious questions that need answers and they come to "your forum" hoping to get that.

sure, you can't please everyone, but that's not the goal to please.

the goal is to provide a stimulating environment, where everyone feels comfortable enough to contribute with their questions and answers.

that's what makes-up the content of the forum and as a whole, illustrates the character and demeanor of it's members.

maybe the OP needs to step away for a while, take time away for some relief from the stress.

just leave the door open on your way out

:)

I wish you continued success in all your endeavors. Even I used to track my reps, like a hound, really. It's a good feeling getting to the top. Things here might change for the better. I dunno. But it to me stopped feeling as though I couldn't use the "high quality of standards" with modding anymore. Rules here changed but for the worst. I'm hoping Eric gets it all straightened out.

Though I haven't been a NP member too long, it seems like just yesterday Randy was giving me my first Reps. Though this may read a tad adolescent now, I must admit it was the coolest thing to finally have my first green Rep square. I had never been a part of an online forum before, making NP my first and only online forum at the time. I had no idea of what I was doing or how to post on a forum, etc.

Needless to say, there were some bumps in the road along the way with different Mods, as I learned the governing rules, became part of the community and slowly began to shed my proverbial skin as a NP Noob. Now, as I work my way toward Achieving Greatness, I look back and find it hard to believe those first Reps were already a couple of years ago.

At any rate, I was truly surprised to learn of yours (and Wendy's) resignations from your post yesterday. Well, shocked would be a more accurate way to describe it. I stepped away from domaining these past few months and just started back up a few days ago to find some changes throughout.

I always appreciated and respected each of you and your individual styles, and though I didn't always agree with every Mod's actions throughout the forum along the way, from my years of managing people in the real world it was easy enough to understand the reasoning behind those actions, and made it easier to identify with some of what you as Mods must have to do, see and put up with, at times.

I wish you (both) the very best. Along with many others, you have both played a pivotal role in the success and high quality of standards NP has developed, which is far superior to any and all other forums of its kind, in my opinion.

It is nice to read you will still be active in the forum as members, as you both have given, and continue to give, so much to the NP community. You will both be missed equally as Mods/Leads, and leave a large [couple] pairs of shoes to be filled. Wishing each of you the best of luck and success in all your future endeavors.

-Regards

•••
Congrats Randy, welcome to the real world, get down to making some cash now.

Wendy, didn't know you quit too, that would be tough on most of the mods for sure, but thanks for doing what you did, when you did it.

Modding is a thankless, unrewarding, unappreciated VOLUNTEER effort and those that do it, do it for the love of the community, even though the very same community does eventually turn on them for doing exactly what they're required to do - mod the forum. (Go figure!)

Cyberian (Kenny) told me it was tough when I joined as a mod, but then as team leader the work seemed unending, not to mention completely unappreciated, so much so that my own business was suffering, not something I could afford to do after a while, so I quit.

I do think the right place for this thread was in the mod forum, but whatever... I've learnt not to take online stuff too seriously and just go with the flow, it's only virtual after all. ;)

•••
AA - sorry to see you go...

Free speech is great, but posts like the one that touched this off (and I saw and replied to the unedited version) push people over the edge and the next thing you know you its an all out flame war. That doesn't make for a strong community or productive conversation and it can scare people away (or into a state of permanent lurkdom.)

You need to draw the line someplace, and there will always be people with their toes right against it.

•••
Regarding:
And PM of the day:
:hearts: Randy

The guy is obviously misusing his gift. There is a very small part of me that feels sorry for him and a part that would just assume beat his ass. I hope you don't let this major c*nt's pm bother you.

For anyone else: If you're the type of person that condones that type of treatment of others you're a pussy and will always be low-class regardless of your financial/educational value.

•••
Something's been wrong for a few months now. We apparently condone members scaring others away because it's "free speech." I do believe ppl are trying here but I don't honestly think NP is currently equipped with the tools necessary to keep this thing afloat.

AA - sorry to see you go...

Free speech is great, but posts like the one that touched this off (and I saw and replied to the unedited version) push people over the edge and the next thing you know you its an all out flame war. That doesn't make for a strong community or productive conversation and it can scare people away (or into a state of permanent lurkdom.)

You need to draw the line someplace, and there will always be people with their toes right against it.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

What baffles me is: Why does he think trailers are a bad thing? I've seen trailers that cost MORE to live in than a house. The one Fonzie was crying about was owned (not rented) by a friend of mine & even with her ownership, the damn thing cost more to live in than many houses I've seen. Does this retard (yes Eric--now, I am calling him a retard) think trailers are a sign of poverty or something? lol 99% chance Fonzie is under 16 & doesn't understand how utility bills/rent really are in the real world.

Regarding:

:hearts: Randy

The guy is obviously misusing his gift. There is a very small part of me that feels sorry for him and a part that would just assume beat his ass. I hope you don't let this major c*nt's pm bother you.

For anyone else: If you're the type of person that condones that type of treatment of others you're a pussy and will always be low-class regardless of your financial/educational value.

•••
Good luck with your future endeavors, Randy! %%-
Thanks for all the help, even if we were horrified when you posted your hairless photo! :lol:

•••
Thanks lol My ass pic is still here somewhere too :p

Good luck with your future endeavors, Randy! %%-
Thanks for all the help, even if we were horrified when you posted your hairless photo! :lol:

•••
Something's been wrong for a few months now. We apparently condone members scaring others away because it's "free speech." I do believe ppl are trying here but I don't honestly think NP is currently equipped with the tools necessary to keep this thing afloat.

As far as Fonzie, I saw the PM he sent you, I noticed he's using your pic as his avatar. That should be a ban. I think at this point he's just trying to see how far he can push it and probably expecting one.

As far as your first post, the problem I have with it, is you're lumping all modding into some over moderation group.

So let's be clear on it.

Good Modding
handling spam
handling members that flat out attack, break the rules etc. (not talking about heated debate)

I don't think anybody has a problem with that, it's not what I'm talking about with over moderation.

Bad Modding - Over Moderation
The 5 examples I gave earlier.
The hand reg thread, somebody posts their hand regs, somebody is being nice and replies "nice regs" and it gets deleted.
In the coupon thread, somebody is being nice and mentions a coupon doesn't work, delete.
Someone follows the board rules, links out to the source of information, gets deleted, gets flagged as a spammer.

That kind of thing. That's the crack the ruler type of moderation, it's not friendly, it's not needed, it's taking it too far. That's the type of moderation where people will eventually get tired of it. If you're ok with that type of modertion, then you get the forum you deserve. Probably just one of the reasons for the decrease here.

Back to the first post. The post itself is rule violation. And it's the typical get at admin/owner type stuff on the way out, get some digs in. Just because you had a disagreement. As someone mentioned earlier, it's the kind of thing that should have been handled in the mod forum.

Even today, you're still going on with the over dramatics, getting digs in with this - "I don't honestly think NP is currently equipped with the tools necessary to keep this thing afloat."

Which is kind of disrespectful to the people who are still mods, admin, owner, members etc. I'm sure they know how to do the stuff under the Good Modding. It's just fear mongering on your part, kind of like mushroom cloud if we don't go invade some country.

Again, I say go and read the actual forum. Another typical day, buying, selling, discussing, joking around. You want to throw that out the window, as if it doesn't exist and pick some random incident (Fonzie) to try to make some point. Problem is it's an isolated incident and they're going to happen from time to time.

•••
You are wrong on the "isolated incident" thing (do you frequent this forum ofen?) but I've gotta say: you were spot-on with your assessment of over-modding. I've always thought it to be rather annoying to have a "Nice sale!" type post removed. This wasn't a rule mods invented. Rather, it was made to prevent clutter. Example: the "report sales" thread. No one wants to have to dig through 20 posts just to read about a sold domain. If you wanna congratulate, do it via PM. At least, at a time, this is strictly how it was. I've always found it silly that these were removed but I understand WHY they were. Being more lenient on this would be nice.

As for the other posts being flagged: Again, if you don't understand this site, please stop pretending to. The forum scripts can and usually do flag posts that it thinks are spam. Those are issues with the scripts, not mods.

As far as Fonzie, I saw the PM he sent you, I noticed he's using your pic as his avatar. That should be a ban. I think at this point he's just trying to see how far he can push it and probably expecting one.

As far as your first post, the problem I have with it, is you're lumping all modding into some over moderation group.

So let's be clear on it.

Good Modding
handling spam
handling members that flat out attack, break the rules etc. (not talking about heated debate)

I don't think anybody has a problem with that, it's not what I'm talking about with over moderation.

Bad Modding - Over Moderation
The 5 examples I gave earlier.
The hand reg thread, somebody posts their hand regs, somebody is being nice and replies "nice regs" and it gets deleted.
In the coupon thread, somebody is being nice and mentions a coupon doesn't work, delete.
Someone follows the board rules, links out to the source of information, gets deleted, gets flagged as a spammer.

That kind of thing. That's the crack the ruler type of moderation, it's not friendly, it's not needed, it's taking it too far. That's the type of moderation where people will eventually get tired of it. If you're ok with that type of modertion, then you get the forum you deserve. Probably just one of the reasons for the decrease here.

Back to the first post. The post itself is rule violation. And it's the typical get at admin/owner type stuff on the way out, get some digs in. Just because you had a disagreement. As someone mentioned earlier, it's the kind of thing that should have been handled in the mod forum.

Even today, you're still going on with the over dramatics, getting digs in with this - "I don't honestly think NP is currently equipped with the tools necessary to keep this thing afloat."

Which is kind of disrespectful to the people who are still mods, admin, owner, members etc. I'm sure they know how to do the stuff under the Good Modding. It's just fear mongering on your part, kind of like mushroom cloud if we don't go invade some country.

Again, I say go and read the actual forum. Another typical day, buying, selling, discussing, joking around. You want to throw that out the window, as if it doesn't exist and pick some random incident (Fonzie) to try to make some point. Problem is it's an isolated incident and they're going to happen from time to time.

•••
"You are wrong on the "isolated incident" thing (do you frequent this forum ofen?)"

Yes, that's why I know what I said is correct. Most of the posts here are fine, most of the people here are nice and friendly. You want to focus on the exceptions instead of the rule to try to make a point. So be it. But realize, people can read.

"As for the other posts being flagged: Again, if you don't understand this site, please stop pretending to. The forum scripts can and usually do flag posts that it thinks are spam. Those are issues with the scripts, not mods."

Yes, I understand that, about forum scripts and such. Doesn't get everything, you should know that. I just flagged some spam yesterday and Blake took care of it. I've flagged other spam before and Wendy took care of it or some other mod. That stuff was never the issue. If it's a script issue, then that's something that can be remedied. Mods plus forum scripts, work together to handle it.

You can talk about shattered dreams, chaos, anarchy, prophets etc. Then 3 months from now, half a year from now, same time next year, it'll be the same stuff. Buying, selling, discussing, joking around, occasional incident. Welcome to forum life.

Last edited:
•••
You're about as smart as someone who says it wouldn't matter who runs America: everything will be the same. There is no logic and no point. And yes, you will try to argue this but you again will have no point. Chances are, you'll take one of your false beliefs and try to pass it off as fact. Kid, you're polishing something that was never meant to shine. I'm done with you--we'll just have to agree to disagree. Welcome to reality.

You can talk about shattered dreams, chaos, anarchy, prophets etc. Then 3 months from now, half a year from now, same time next year, it'll be the same stuff. Buying, selling, discussing, joking around, occasional incident. Welcome to forum life.

•••
< cannot believe I just wasted an hour of my life reading this thread.........for the guy leaving, good luck in your endeavors, for everyone else find something productive to do........if you focused this much energy on productive endeavors NP might not have any problem keeping the pages full of useful and engaging information daily......just my 2 cents

•••
I'm trying to keep this thread useful but eh, yeah, some things took it astray (I'm responsible for some, I know).

< cannot believe I just wasted an hour of my life reading this thread.........for the guy leaving, good luck in your endeavors, for everyone else find something productive to do........if you focused this much energy on productive endeavors NP might not have any problem keeping the pages full of useful and engaging information daily......just my 2 cents

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back